New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:13 am

Funky40 wrote:from the first post from tiptop:
while the 8HP modules are designed mostly as compact in size end-of-the-chain effects and interface between the modular and line level gear.
edited: I see this as a drawback.
To me, most ext. mixers, even the crappy small ones take modular level just fine.
And Delays are not necessarily patched at the end of the signal chain.

my personal experience over the years was:
that i had several very good modules, but i avoided it to patch them due to weak output levels.
YM-andExperience-MV

edit: size, price and optics look good !
yeah it appears to me as strange too.... I do use echo and reverb mostly as end of chain usually... but taking care of all volumes in the modular

VASH909
1-Post Wiggler

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by VASH909 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:44 am

:love:
tta wrote:[video][/video]

Hello to all the Muffsters out there at the Muff habitat.

I’m happy to let you know that we are releasing ECHOZ ZVERB and the Z5000, our compact 8HP effect modules. This is also the first time we will offer modules with black panels yooo wow. When we started working on these modules ECHOZ was the main thing but so many new things evolved from that: new algorithms, new techniques to route signals through multiple effects in one program, and a new analog clock circuity to drive the DSP chip and more. One thing leads to the other, that’s a good and healthy R&D process.

With the Z5000 we went all in for a multi effect that covers a large variety of effects, there is everything in there, from basic to lush to odd to experimental. More than 12 years ago the original Z5000 was Tiptop’s first module, now all these years after we are using the same model number but with qualities far beyond anything we could imagine so many years ago.

In ZVERB we created a dedicated Reverb module that covers effects by the decade (70s/80s/90s) it was popular or invented, but takes it even beyond that point with extra effects such as delays, pitch shifting, chorusing, formant filters set in different points of either the feedback path the input or the output . The sound quality of the various reverbs is impressive, and it is so easy to find a sweet spot.

ECHOZ turned out to be far more interesting than we originally planned. The original idea was to make a great sounding delay effects module, we’ve been designing delays for years, but once again going off road on some of the algorithms had lead us into new territories, some borrowed from the Z-DSP, and some totally new. We wanted to include a sync input but that just didn’t work out well and disrupts the natural flow of the delays in the buffers. We didn’t want to compromise the benefit of using the analog clock in favor of sync so we decide it will be left out. Scaling the parameter knobs made it very easy to sync the delays manually and keep that high sound quality

Under the hood is the Spin FV1, which is a fantastic chip if you know how to use its benefits and work around the quirks. It has just the right amount of power needed for time domain effects and excels at doing that even over much powerful general purpose MCU+DSP chips, so we decide to stick to it in this series.

I expect some might ask about similarities with the Z-DSP. Although both use the same DSP chip the Z-DSP is designed as open source and extendable platform and is equipped with extra features and a display, while the 8HP modules are designed mostly as compact in size end-of-the-chain effects and interface between the modular and line level gear.

I hope you enjoy them.

$200 each, shipping to dealers now! Check online for pre-orders. Audio demos and more info here:

http://tiptopaudio.com/zverb-echoz-z5000/

Scott M2
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott M2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:12 am

continuum - Are the verb algos in the Z5000, taken from the Zverb?
Would they sound the same? (Trying to make a wise first choice.)

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:59 am

so sad there's no stereo input :'(

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 am

My impression is that the vast majority of DSP algorithms sum the left and right inputs to mono before processing, anyway, so having a left and right input winds up mainly being about passing the dry signal through the dry/wet control. In other words, it’s a limitation you can probably patch around.

homeslice1479
Learning to Wiggle

Post by homeslice1479 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:45 am

I was in the market for effects and gave these a long look, but the lack of stereo inputs and the lack of clock sync on ECHOZ forced me to go in a different direction. I hope these products do well for Tiptop but they weren't for me; I do a lot of rhythmic drum stuff in stereo, so I NEED those two features.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:54 am

Scott M2 wrote:continuum - Are the verb algos in the Z5000, taken from the Zverb?
Would they sound the same? (Trying to make a wise first choice.)
The 80s and Shimmer are a little different on Z5000 but the others are the same. ZVERB is for those who want to go deep into reverb options beyond the basics that Z5000 offers.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:56 am

Wound up ordering the Echo and Verb, as there is zero overlap in the algorithms, whereas the z5k shared many from both of the others.
*phnert*

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am

mdoudoroff wrote:My impression is that the vast majority of DSP algorithms sum the left and right inputs to mono before processing, anyway, so having a left and right input winds up mainly being about passing the dry signal through the dry/wet control. In other words, it’s a limitation you can probably patch around.
Yes, this is exactly right. A reverb won't preserve much, if any, of the original stereo field and chorus, ping-pong delays and others synthesize stereo fields.

Many of the audio demos are with stereo sources so you can hear how the modules work with them.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

SnakesandBladders
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SnakesandBladders » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:47 am

Ive been a big fan of Tiptop's modules since acquiring a Z3000 mkII in a trade... I'm excited to get my hands on the Echoz and Zverb to see what I can do with them :yay: they look like fun effects to experiment with and the price is excellent :chug:

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am

SnakesandBladders wrote:Ive been a big fan of Tiptop's modules since acquiring a Z3000 mkII in a trade... I'm excited to get my hands on the Echoz and Zverb to see what I can do with them :yay: they look like fun effects to experiment with and the price is excellent :chug:
Roger dat...the combination deffo killed my FX Aid GAS, since the form factor is more comfortable for me.
*phnert*

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am

continuum wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:My impression is that the vast majority of DSP algorithms sum the left and right inputs to mono before processing, anyway, so having a left and right input winds up mainly being about passing the dry signal through the dry/wet control. In other words, it’s a limitation you can probably patch around.
Yes, this is exactly right. A reverb won't preserve much, if any, of the original stereo field and chorus, ping-pong delays and others synthesize stereo fields.

Many of the audio demos are with stereo sources so you can hear how the modules work with them.
yep but I will need another module like Rosie to work with stereo signals (mix L & R to mono signal, send it to the ZVERB, mix the dry / wet signal outside the reverb module to preserve stereo effects happening before in the patch (which tends to be common even in the modular world , specially if you are at the end of the chain ...) ... so it's not a 8HP but a more 16HP at least if I want to do want I want ... but not impossible I know

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am

southberry wrote:yep but I will need another module like Rosie to work with stereo signals (mix L & R to mono signal, send it to the ZVERB, mix the dry / wet signal outside the reverb module to preserve stereo effects happening before in the patch (which tends to be common even in the modular world , specially if you are at the end of the chain ...) ... so it's not a 8HP but a more 16HP at least if I want to do want I want ... but not impossible I know
Fair point. On the other hand, the mono input on these new TT effects will match up well for those of us using the (mono) sends from our stereo mixers.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:27 pm

I can kind of understand people being concerned about these modules being mainly geared up to being "end of chain" processors, as I have had various FX modules in the past which I fully intended to use in the middle of my signal chain - running stuff into the effects, and then into other modules for further processing & manipulation...

How often did I actually ever do that? Literally hardly ever :hihi:

I guess with things like distortion, chorus, phasers, frequency shifters etc I might be more inclined to do it. But reverbs and delays just always seem to sit at the end of the chain for me (although obviously I might do post-processing on the recording, using EQ and compression and stereo wdith enhancement etc)

YMMV

conscious
Wiggling with Experience

Post by conscious » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:54 pm

what happens if I feed the signal in my end mixer(A-135) and a Pittburgh Outs, or do I have to skip them?

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm looking forward to placing these in front of a ZDSP or two.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Junk Rhythm wrote:I'm looking forward to placing these in front of a ZDSP or two.
Wait, you're going to put all 3 of these in front of TWO ZDSPs? I broke my brain trying to imagine what that would even sound like. :omg:

Sound demos when you do it, please. :party:

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Junk Rhythm wrote:I'm looking forward to placing these in front of a ZDSP or two.
Wait, you're going to put all 3 of these in front of TWO ZDSPs? I broke my brain trying to imagine what that would even sound like. :omg:

Sound demos when you do it, please. :party:
Haha, nah just one at a time initially to explore around but eventually, sure why not! I'll record some bits and post them up as well.

I would also expect that once these are out in the wild, the used prices of the ZDSP will dip a bit as folks swap them out to save space. I'll be there waiting to add another. It's a good time for effects.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 pm

matttech wrote:I can kind of understand people being concerned about these modules being mainly geared up to being "end of chain" processors,
as I have had various FX modules in the past which I fully intended to use in the middle of my signal chain - running stuff into the effects, and then into other modules for further processing & manipulation...

How often did I actually ever do that? Literally hardly ever :hihi:
fair point.

i use a Z-DSP and am VERY happy with the sound.
But due to its size ( and the need to see the display) am i not free to place it where it would sit "now" ( after my burn-in phase) the best.

so i wanted since longer a nice, little hp Reverb module.
all the other spin fv1 modules could not convince me so far.

my end of chain signals are all stereo. i usually have a multitude of stereo modules been patched one behind the other.
It totally bothers me in the meantime that the Clouds for example is not a real stereo module or killing at least some stereo information by beeing ping pong or whatever ? No clue on that.

but if you guys would want to frequenzy shift a stereo signal coming from morphagene, Neb2, OR the reverb etc. coming from a Z-DSP.......what do you do ? you buy a new FX module ?
I won´t :lol:

I think these new tiptop modules are very great things, great work, very welcome,
but the competition just has outperformed you quite a bit.
This is good for us ! it forces manufacturers to think things to an end.......and to NOT overlook important details.
you will sell enough anyway, i´m in no doubt.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:40 pm

conscious wrote:what happens if I feed the signal in my end mixer(A-135) and a Pittburgh Outs, or do I have to skip them?
Using the aux send of the mixer and returning the effect output to the channels will work just fine. This is the intended usage of these modules.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

tta
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tta » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:47 am

We capture this patch while playing. It is a 258 in FM followed by a LPG and into the trio FX modules, Flanger is the dominant effect in the patch coming from the Z5000. Reminds me a bit of a spring reverb but with a brighter top end.

[video][/video]
Gur
Tiptop Audio

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Sounds Ace !
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:31 pm

tta wrote:We capture this patch while playing. It is a 258 in FM followed by a LPG and into the trio FX modules, Flanger is the dominant effect in the patch coming from the Z5000. Reminds me a bit of a spring reverb but with a brighter top end.

[video][/video]
wild times in the tiptop realm!!!
jam on. :hail:
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

ezra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ezra » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:04 am

yesterday I was able to try these new three modules with my hands and I was very impressed with each of them. Trying the effects and closing my eyes I did not believe that all that quality and power could come out of a small form of 8HP, completely versed with everything and possible to integrate them easily. :sb:

ANGLE
Learning to Wiggle

Amazing modules

Post by ANGLE » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 am

From the moment I received the new effects modules, I have always experimented with them; every day it's a pleasant surprise, the modules are amazing!!! :yay:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”