Eurorack Drum Modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Eurorack Drum Modules

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:32 am

Currently own Jomox ModBase which I think is amazing , a really really nice unit with a great sound .

Also have tiptop 909 hi hats , clap and cymbals . They’re ok but a bit limited .

I’m looking for something that would compliment current modules , mainly for House and Techno sounds .

I’m looking at ModBrane and Akemies Taiko , does anyone own either ? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated :tu:

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 am

Basimilus!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 am

I really like WMD's Chimera and Michigan Synth Works' SY.05. Both are super versatile and give you a different flavor than the Roland classics.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:17 am

It kind of depends of what flavour of drum sounds you're going for. Here are my opinion on some of the modules available:

SSF Entity bass - for solid bass drums, but also lots of percussive options, and external sound filtering
SSF entity drum - primarily for percussive sounds in my opinion
Basimilus IA - Extremely wide sound palette: Brutal kicks, percussive sounds, pretty mono synth sounds, or glitch mayhem.
Dinky's taiko: Lo-fi glitch type drum sounds. Charming and a bit wonky as well...
Akemies taiko: Mainly good for glitchy percussive sounds, but you can also get a lot of sweet sounding synth leads as well.

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 am

I'm more into techno/noise/ambient stuff and not really housy tunes, but>

I'm using a Vermona DRM1 as my main drum synth, but when I go full modular, I'm happy with my Noise Engineering BIA + Pico Drum (limited amazing for the price/HP, my go-to module for live performances), a Plaits and a Plonk.

That goes without saying, the bunch of oscillators/LPG are also amazing for various sort of percussions.

Oh, and if you don't mind adding a semi-modular, I looove the DFAM. But this is usually a "love or hate" kind of thing, so you should listen to demos carefully beforehand.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks for the replies . Wmd Chimera looks ace so far

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:42 am

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 am

I really like Chimera for the backround percussion sounds, a little tick tick in the back of the percussion mix.
BIA and Plonk for the mid sounds, BIA can do a mean bass drum if you don't want a traditional bass drum.
BIA can make some amazing sounds that you would have never dreamed about, and can go to the really nasty side of it.
Pico drum is really useful with 2 separate triggerable voices and small too.
I have a Delptronics LDB-2e set and that is what I usually use as the meat of the beat.
It can be rather boring but is fine with the Chimera and Plonk to back it up.
The old Tiptop 808 stuff can be used as another meat of the percussion sound source.
I kind of really like the Tiptop 808 and 909 modules.

I had a Fracture and it was also good for the backround clicks, tsss sounds and tick-tick stuff.
Both Taikos are a little Lo-fi but there is a place for that too.
Akemies has a bunch of modulation input possibilities.
I think however that the mixer is the most important part of the percussion system, especially if you are trying to do live sets.
I have a pair of Ladik slide type mixers and have everything clocked and running all the time and fade the various modules in and out.
That is the most important part of the system for me.

Foghorn

Percussion set up right now
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 am

For an all-in-one, quad-voice solution that gives you insane utility, look at the new VPME QD. Four simultaneous instruments, 3 control pots per instrument. A bunch of digitally modeled drums and percussion sounds, and then a whole bunch of sampled percussion (plus you can load your own). 4 built-in LFOs, 4 built-in mutes, on-board compression and EQ / panning. It's *nuts*.

For more "specific" or unti-task modules i'd agree that Fracture can be a great compliment to most systems, the variance in the sort of tick / clip / hiss / clap / breaking ceramics noises it can make can fit it in a lot of different spots. Sort of background "fill-in-the-space" stuff, as a stand-in for snares and rim hits, replacing cymbals for a more IDM feel, etc etc etc.

It'd be useless for House music, but if you want to create some weirder stuff for techno Folktek Matter II can compliment (not replace) more traditional percussion sounds. It's a strange and unique beast; listening to a minute or two of demos you will immediately know whether you're going "I'VE GOT TO HAVE THIS!" or "WTF is this, I could never fit those noises into the music I make" (both opinions being totally valid). Either way, it's extremely fun to play around with.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am

<insert everyone's favorite drum module(s) here>

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 am

Zymos wrote:<insert everyone's favorite drum module(s) here>
Haha, I'm not personally a fan of the BIA but I will freely admit is is pretty ace when it comes to techno.

phantommovement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phantommovement » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 am

Those Ladik pannable mixers in your system look super useful for panning hihats and cymbals. I'm currently thinking if I should get a WMD Performance Mixer or just several smaller mixers (I already have the Mutant Hot Glue). The things is, I make club-oriented techno so I don't need super crazy autopan and the PM seems a bit overkill for my use. It's also a pretty big investment in terms of hp. What do you think?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Performance mixer was a game changer personally. I find it much more useful than the small mixers setup I had before (Erica Drum mixer + a couple Mixup).

phantommovement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phantommovement » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Performance mixer was a game changer personally. I find it much more useful than the small mixers setup I had before (Erica Drum mixer + a couple Mixup).
I'm very tempted...

Performance-wise it's fantastic, no doubt about it, but on the other hand mix bus processing is quite important for me. And there's only one knob in each channel for the 2 aux sends in the mixer. Nth is perfect though, i guess...

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:28 pm

You don't need drum modules to make drum sounds. Learn how to patch your own sounds from the basics and you'll come up with something more unique to you. Here's a good starting point:

[video][/video]
danielriera.bandcamp.com

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:51 pm

No one mentioned the Future Retro Transient. Incredibly versatile and has presets so great for live.

+1 for Akemie's and Dinky's taikos and Michigan Synth Works SY0.5
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:10 pm

WMD Crucible is the best cymbal/ hats module I’ve found.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:42 pm

atte wrote:I really like my two underdogs: 2opfm and quark...

https://www.supersynthesis.com/products ... 0980620328
http://endtimesmodular.com
Both are very interesting for the size, price and of course how they sound !

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I have
SY-0.5
Akemies Taiko (both essentials IMO)

Some modded/racked Rakit.co.uk Stompboxes
Some Tiptop (909 stuff)
Mutant Clap

I had:
the MFB 909-ish Tom (not bad, but the Tiptop replaced it)
Some Tiptop 808 modules (which I replaced w/ a Roland TR08)
ADM Neuron (sounds good but needs at least one extra envelope, a bit expensive too)

Soon in DU/MengQi Karp, cheap little thing.
I really want a BIA one day

I also have a little multi module setup to make a perc sound with a ripples, Quadra, interstellar radio and a DIY VCO.

One thing that is also quite cool in a drum setup is Plaits (build in env. works well for perc sounds) and Clouds (sample noisy sounds and trigger small grains as hihats..etc.)

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Drum modules I have or have had;

Jomox Modbase 09- by far best kick module for most of what I like.
Cwejman BLD- use it more for bass than kicks, but the kicks can be nice
2HP Play- loaded with kicks and snares I made on my Elektron Analog Four mk2
Prok BD- sounds nice but I can’t get the low end of my Jomox or A4
Prok SD- pretty cool
Basilimus- occasionally amazing, but super fussy to dial for me and I just didn’t love it , so it’s gone
2HP Hat- decent. Sounds like hats, but I don’t love it
Dinky’s- never my main sound, but awesome to just fill things up

Lately, since I use my Octatrack for sequencing anyway, I’ve been spending long days making all my percussion and loops on my new Cwejman SM-1 and sampling them into the Octatrack. Makes sense to me for live and frees up HP

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 pm

befaco kickall impressed me!

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:41 pm

batch wrote:WMD Crucible is the best cymbal/ hats module I’ve found.
I recently picked up a crucible as well and I am very impressed with it! I had used my Plonk for some cymbal sounds, and I have an 808 hats, but that dang Crucible is the bomb for cymbals!

With the three trigger input options (edge, mid, and both) you can really get a wide variety of sounds out of it, and I especially like the plate with the hole removed for some very shimmery and gong like sounds.

I've hooked this up just about every which way but loose and you can really get some very unique sounds out of it IMHO. I was hesitant to purchase first because I could get a less expensive cymbal, but then I though what real cymbals cost, and this is a steal really!

Couple that with the fact that you can change the size, pitch, or other parameters on the run and it's like having a top shelf magic cymbal at your disposal.

Well done fer sure WMD! :tu:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:42 pm

SnipeCatcher wrote: Prok BD- sounds nice but I can’t get the low end of my Jomox or A4
ah, forgot that .. I have it too. I actually only use one of the stock patches. You are right: needs a good bit of bass boost but sounds proper then

Return to “Eurorack Modules”