Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
t0nmontana
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by t0nmontana » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 pm

From his website:

"Announcement:
After long considerations and arduously to and fro we came to the decision
to cease the development and the production of Eurorack modules.
To all our fans and always faithful customers we have to say: Sorry - It was a hard procedure to come to this discernment.
So, clear out the shelfs and take it. To alleviate your pain we've reduced our prices slightly by few percents."

Welp, I BLAME ALL OF YOU!

User avatar
JayEm
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: London, ON

Post by JayEm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 am

who?
BandCamp Instagram
"peoples moist elbow cruxes, sodden with phlegm" - Joe.

Jee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Jee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:03 am

Nooooooooo!
Disaster :(
I will never get the full system from him ! I’m so sad such a talented creator is stopping his activity.
Worse thing is that apparently the dedigns of LFO and TG are done but won’t be released. Worse case scenario because i’ve Been waiting the last 2 years for these modules that were shortly announced to finally not come out.
I would love at least a final short production batch on preorders for his latest unreleased designs...

t0nmontana
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Post by t0nmontana » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 am

Yah. I hate to say it but maybe eurorack just isn't the right fit. There doesn't seem to be much demand for high quality premium boutique products in euro. Only a few companies are doing it, Cwejman, ACL, GRP, a handful of others. Not that that's a bad thing, just hard for companies like that to compete with the small HP/low price tag model most of the other brands follow. I hope we get to see his designs again in the future, perhaps a return to desktop/rack form. I was definitely looking forward to the TG, LFO and VCA array, so hopefully they'll pop up later in some new incarnation.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Jaypee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 am

So sorry to read that.

Hope to buy some future products from Carsten though...
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

User avatar
mutedial
Common Wiggler
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by mutedial » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:07 am

didn't he announce this last year as well?

User avatar
urogijani
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 am
Location: Slovak Republic
Contact:

Post by urogijani » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:39 am

mutedial wrote:didn't he announce this last year as well?
Yeah I remember that too.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Location: London

Post by Portabella » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 am

mutedial wrote:didn't he announce this last year as well?
from his homepage, summer 2013:
We are sorry, but after another four years we are forced to close our business.

Many THANKS again to all our fans and customers and for your trust allover the time!

The products we still have in stock are available until stock last. We will be available for you in support and service after the sale, furthermore.

Have a good time...

Sincerely, Carsten Schippmann (CEO)

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 am

Portabella wrote:
mutedial wrote:didn't he announce this last year as well?
from his homepage, summer 2013:
We are sorry, but after another four years we are forced to close our business.

Many THANKS again to all our fans and customers and for your trust allover the time!

The products we still have in stock are available until stock last. We will be available for you in support and service after the sale, furthermore.

Have a good time...

Sincerely, Carsten Schippmann (CEO)
Apparently Schippmann is using the Streisand playbook. Just look at the "Box-Office Benefits" numbers here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... #The_2000s

User avatar
Bobby
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Post by Bobby » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 am

Sad loss. Carsten is a great designer. Hope he's not leaving the music game all together.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 am

damn. i was ready to pre order the tg and lfo as well just waiting on the word.
such a shame, his modules were the highest quality with good unique ideas behind them and a special sound

User avatar
Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm
Location: The Zum Zum land

Post by Chartreuse-J » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Just to remind how awesome Shippmann products are here is a small peice that I made a long time ago when I first got the CS-8 Multimode Filter from him. Not super technical, but this was one of the first tracks I made with eurorack 5 years ago. Not great recording stuff either, I think I recorded this on a Yamaha Mixer straight from the rack.

Distortion was from the Trogotronic m/277, or I had the gain cranked. LOL.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-m-9/sounds ... nday-night
Soundcloud
*Abstract Cat Pwns your life*

User avatar
EATyourGUITAR
has no life
Posts: 5798
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 am
Location: Providence, RI, USA

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I remember in 2013 there were rumors that he was reading muffs where people were trashing him over high prices and that this was some kind of reaction or retaliation. I don't know if that is true or not. all I know is that he made the highest quality stuff in eurorack. like on a whole other level of quality. no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him. all the stuff he made after that CS8 filter was the stuff that I think is really valuable. so is the ebb und flute he made before eurorack. prices were all over the place with the ebb und flute. it was $1400 then $2000 up and down up and down.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Damn it. Why? Economies of scale??? Excellent designer and products!!!
:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:20 am

The brand never took off, I do not know why but it is also so evident in the second hand market. Selling a Schippmann module even at really low prices gets no interest and when I mean no interest I mean not a living soul.
I've been there many times, and I've seen fellow wigglers struggle with that as well.

I don't believe they had the best manufacturing quality, not that they were lacking but Rossum modules or Paul's modules are better build. Theirs and Cwejman's were a bit lower but the latter does offer life time guaranty.

Regardless you have to respect a man who came out with his own original designs, instead of rehashing technologies of the past. This is very rare amongst the designers of eurorack. And Schippmmann were the only brand I know taking money for a pre-order and delivering in time.

I

Jee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Jee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 am

I am litterally destroyed :cry: :cry: :cry:
This is a huge pain for me and my expectations of a full schippmann modular (I might be the only one in the world to want that though).
I still want to hope that he will release TG and LFO, even if it is a very limited lot...
And I wonder what he will do next... hopefully still music stuff...

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.
truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now :ripbanana:

Jee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Jee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Same here!
Maybe CTG-VC could work but it's scarce and it's a nightmare to get cwejman products.
And anyway, I always preferred carsten's design over cwejman's.

@Carsten if you come here: please make a release of TG and LFO, even in very small batches.... 10 units maybe... you have at least 10 very solid customers just on this forum I'm sure you could sell them in such low quantity.
That would be great.
***very slim hope***

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 am

Post by cowboyelectronics » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:22 pm

peripatitis wrote:The brand never took off, I do not know why but it is also so evident in the second hand market. Selling a Schippmann module even at really low prices gets no interest and when I mean no interest I mean not a living soul.
I've been there many times, and I've seen fellow wigglers struggle with that as well.

I don't believe they had the best manufacturing quality, not that they were lacking but Rossum modules or Paul's modules are better build. Theirs and Cwejman's were a bit lower but the latter does offer life time guaranty.

Regardless you have to respect a man who came out with his own original designs, instead of rehashing technologies of the past. This is very rare amongst the designers of eurorack. And Schippmmann were the only brand I know taking money for a pre-order and delivering in time.

I
i think that the panel design has a lot to do with how slowly these move on the second hand market. even at a steal price, with how many euro users are obsessed with the aesthetic of their instrument, i could understand why someone wouldnt want to put such an eyesore in their rack, no matter the price or how good or inspiring whats inside the module may be. visual appeal seems to be capable of making or breaking modules and their manufacturers. that and they dont quite have the instant recognizability or character of some of the more common euro brands (just my take. im sure there are those for whom the panel aesthetic appeals to profoundly)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:32 pm

people think the schippmann panels are ugly? really im quite surprised. i think theyre quite nice and clear, they have the fantastic powder coating that so few makers use, and the ergonomics are always perfect

User avatar
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 pm
Location: Outer Space

Post by TemplarK » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:32 pm

damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.
truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now :ripbanana:
Its not just the EG that matters though, its the combination of EG and VCA which give the end result, so to just chase one but be resigned with the original VCA's you had means it might actually be the VCA thats not right, just a thought.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38 pm

TemplarK wrote:
damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.
truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now :ripbanana:
Its not just the EG that matters though, its the combination of EG and VCA which give the end result, so to just chase one but be resigned with the original VCA's you had means it might actually be the VCA thats not right, just a thought.
i hear ya, but its definitely the EG that i cant be satisfied for years now(tbf vca also but i use lpg mostly for audio enveloping). so many specifics that are important... the range, the output voltage, the reset behavior, the ergonomics, 4stage vs 2 stage.. most imprortant in general how fast it takes to dial in the perfect spot...

do you have a recommendation? currently im using verbos, quadra has been my favorite, never tried the cwejman and there is very few reviews.

User avatar
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 pm
Location: Outer Space

Post by TemplarK » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm

damase wrote:
TemplarK wrote:
damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.
truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now :ripbanana:
Its not just the EG that matters though, its the combination of EG and VCA which give the end result, so to just chase one but be resigned with the original VCA's you had means it might actually be the VCA thats not right, just a thought.
i hear ya, but its definitely the EG that i cant be satisfied for years now(tbf vca also but i use lpg mostly for audio enveloping). so many specifics that are important... the range, the output voltage, the reset behavior, the ergonomics, 4stage vs 2 stage.. most imprortant in general how fast it takes to dial in the perfect spot...

do you have a recommendation? currently im using verbos, quadra has been my favorite, never tried the cwejman and there is very few reviews.
I really like Maths I also find the Intellijel Dual ADSR pretty great its just got that really nice shape for basslines and drums, just a thing of beauty and finding the sweet spot is really easy. I've used only Cwejman AD and AHR on the BLD's they are really nice also.

I hear great things about L-1 and Cwejman a lot. I'd defo try the Intellijel Dual ADSR though its a score.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:32 pm

thats good to know thanks for the input, unfortunately its important for me to have vc control that the intellijel adsr lacks. sorry to stray from the topic though as this is all because of how sad i am that i cant get the schippmann TG

User avatar
suthnear
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: located

Post by suthnear » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:52 pm

There was always going to be a very small market for such modules...

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”