Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by Gambeat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:12 pm

;(

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm

The one question I had relates to the drawing of the delay mode on pg. 17 of the English manual. The drawing seems to show that if the incoming gate signal is less than the overall delay time, there will be no gate output after the delay time is finished? If my interpretation is correct, then to me this makes it more of a "timed mute" on the gate input rather than a gate delay. I'm looking at the second, shorter gate input in the drawing and it is shorter than the delay time and so the upper drawing shows no gate being output after the delay time is finished.

Anyway, no problem if Carsten is busy, I wonder what others think? Plus, I already ordered.

Schippmann
Filtermeister!

Post by Schippmann » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Gambeat wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:12 pm
;(
c'mon
Last edited by Schippmann on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schippmann
Filtermeister!

Post by Schippmann » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:50 pm

3pand wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm
The one question I had relates to the drawing of the delay mode on pg. 17 of the English manual. The drawing seems to show that if the incoming gate signal is less than the overall delay time, there will be no gate output after the delay time is finished? If my interpretation is correct, then to me this makes it more of a "timed mute" on the gate input rather than a gate delay. I'm looking at the second, shorter gate input in the drawing and it is shorter than the delay time and so the upper drawing shows no gate being output after the delay time is finished.
Everything you wrote is correct. And what is the question? I never called it "Gate delay", I calledl it Gate/Delay, because a transition and therefore a Gate-start can be delayed - in Delay mode. I understand what you mean. But there is no memory which safes the complete Gate (on - time - off) and reproduces it delayed. Apart from the enormeous efforts to solve this by analoge and also digital (not without a processor) techniques, this was never intended. But you can start a row of things by a chain of analog delayed Triggers - in Delay mode. It is what it is and this is explained in the manual. Call it time mute if you feel better then...:)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:26 pm

you can start a row of things by a chain of analog delayed Triggers - in Delay mode
care to elaborate? seems like an idea that could be useful. if the gate delay is longer than an input gate does it output nothing?

no rush for answers here, im committed anyway!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Schippmann wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Everything you wrote is correct. And what is the question? I never called it "Gate delay", I calledl it Gate/Delay, because a transition and therefore a Gate-start can be delayed - in Delay mode. I understand what you mean. But there is no memory which safes the complete Gate (on - time - off) and reproduces it delayed. Apart from the enormeous efforts to solve this by analoge and also digital (not without a processor) techniques, this was never intended. But you can start a row of things by a chain of analog delayed Triggers - in Delay mode. It is what it is and this is explained in the manual. Call it time mute if you feel better then...:)
Thank you for the clarification. I should have known I was just missing something obvious. Your Gate/Delay vs. the Gate Delay that I thought makes sense now.

unimportant note-I think I got the gate delay idea in my head from page 2 of the manual when the preview manual was available. On page 2, there is a sentence that uses the term gate delay "outputs (externally switchable) the incoming Gate signal by a definite delay time (Gate Delay)." and so when I later saw the drawing later on page 17 it didn't match with what I was expecting.

More importantly-it's much more exciting to have this new and unique behavior. Looking forward to exploring the possibilities!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 pm

damase wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:26 pm
you can start a row of things by a chain of analog delayed Triggers - in Delay mode
care to elaborate? seems like an idea that could be useful. if the gate delay is longer than an input gate does it output nothing?

no rush for answers here, im committed anyway!
Yes according to the drawing on pg. 17 and to Carsten above, if the gate delay time is longer than the incoming gate, nothing will be output. If the incoming gate is longer than the delay time, then the portion of it that is longer will be output after the delay time setting.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 am

I think I prefer this "mute delay" as it is rather than a "digital delay" that simply postpones the gate,I find it more flexible? We can then trigger long notes and get the triggered element (say an EG) that will not be triggered if we don't reach the delay but will be if we hold long enough the note.
Otherwise the delay would trigger inappropriately the EG after the note is released and could be odd / inconvenient in some cases ? (especially if the EG is linked to a VCA opening it while the note is off).
I can't wait to experiment!
I think the first test I will do except the most basic one (trigger the EG and check the segments) is to use both outputs of the EG : one to a VCA and the other one to a VCF and replicate a lowpass gate behaviour while stil being able to dose the effect on the filter.
I will also test my stomach resistance to coffee because I assume I will explore this thing days and nights :)

oneiric.tomb
Common Wiggler

Post by oneiric.tomb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:12 am

Ordered dtg as well, do we know when the dlfo preorders open? after all dtgs have sold?
WTB:
Schippmann Omega Phi mk2
Cwejman BLD-2
Cwejman PH-8

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 am

My understanding is that DLFO will come when DTG is sold out, but I could be wrong.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 am

Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 am
I think I prefer this "mute delay" as it is rather than a "digital delay" that simply postpones the gate,I find it more flexible? We can then trigger long notes and get the triggered element (say an EG) that will not be triggered if we don't reach the delay but will be if we hold long enough the note.
Otherwise the delay would trigger inappropriately the EG after the note is released and could be odd / inconvenient in some cases ? (especially if the EG is linked to a VCA opening it while the note is off).
I can't wait to experiment!
its certainly an important difference to note and understanding to have. whether a feature or a limitation is the eye of the beholder :). Im excited to figure out what this means to me, creatively. I like working within the framework of someone else’s vision, to some extent it can bring inspiration

makes me me think, i want to vary the size of my gates sending to the input, which is perfect to use the other channel’s gate for! I think I will send the n+1 output from my verbos random sampling to voltage control the gate lengths input, could lead to cool stuff in conjunction with the delay of the first channel

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:17 pm

49 units left after 5 days of preorder, it's good to see the module seems to have a good start, encouraging for the DLFO, which price increased from 799€ to 844€.

Schippmann
Filtermeister!

Post by Schippmann » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

...your modules are calibrated now, in 2 weeks the front panels come..;)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 am

:hyper:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am

thanks for the update!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks, Carsten!

t0nmontana
Common Wiggler

Post by t0nmontana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too. Considering how popular stereo filters seem to be these days you'd think there would be more of a demand for a premium highpass and lowpass solution. They're like my swiss army knife filters too cause they're so versatile and patchable. They're just premaritally patched in my stereo processing rig, and I run everything through that. Oh well - ya'll crazy. Hopin' the EG's hold stock for a few more weeks, I gotta wait for a paycheck :chewie:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:58 am

t0nmontana wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too. Considering how popular stereo filters seem to be these days you'd think there would be more of a demand for a premium highpass and lowpass solution. They're like my swiss army knife filters too cause they're so versatile and patchable. They're just premaritally patched in my stereo processing rig, and I run everything through that. Oh well - ya'll crazy. Hopin' the EG's hold stock for a few more weeks, I gotta wait for a paycheck :chewie:
ive been interested for a while. the demos sounds good. the resonance of the vdl-6 reminds me more of my Rossum evolution actually. the manual says they are ‘diode’ filters, is this a related at all to ladder filter? without knowing much about what these terms actually mean, i have always been drawn to the sound of ladder filters, they have a strong presence and thick resonance that i tend to like. i also find the Q compensation (or Drp A/B) to be an invaluable parameter for filters too

do you have a vcf-1e to compare? i love my vcf-1e but it tends to really shape the input sound so much dramatically and experimentally that its not my go-to for processing external signals. it seems like maybe the hdh and vdl were meant to be a bit more ‘surgical’?

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I have a VDL-6 but I haven't used it for any external signal processing. It's the one module that I don't have space for in my rack and so I will occasionally swap it in but ever since getting the VCF-1E I haven't used it even though it is very different and extremely beautiful. I wouldn't mind putting a more specific demo together if you're interested. All this talk makes me want to hear it again!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:50 am

i would like to hear your demo, or anything you record from it even if you dont wanna post it feel free to pm me. do you use it in series a lot for dual peak stuff? also how is the input overdrive compared to vcf-1e?

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am

2 x Omega-Phi II into Delay and VDL-6.
enjoy!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am

Great first post and demo! Here is another VDL-6 demo inspired by damase's question about using the two filters in series:

Quick and incomplete notes I jotted while recording and turning knobs (sorry for no timings):

I tried to introduce changes methodically and so the two filter cutoffs aren't actually offset from one another until the very last section.

Setup:

2 omega phis-Saw pattern and droning pwm/square. Voltage multistage noodle sequence. 6db upper output into lower filter and out of 12db output to VCA.

-First: no resonance, minimum cutoff. Second filter w/ no offset from first. adjusting envelope scale to cover more range upwards.
-Stay at max, then max out saw input volume (external, not filter input knob)
-Next, raise upper filter cutoff knob w/ smaller envelope scaling
-Next, add some resonance on lower filter and adjust drop knob. Adjust scaling.
-Next, add upper filter resonance and adjust drop (also lower filter resonance, envelope scaling, upper filter cutoff)
-Finally, play with lower cutoff offset (and everything else). Also played with input volume on VDL-6.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm

damn, really nice demos. what i like is that it seems to hold up the subs very nicely when being pushed

i also find it amusing many of us have similar setups surrounding our schippmanns

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:05 am

Jee wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:17 pm
49 units left after 5 days of preorder, it's good to see the module seems to have a good start, encouraging for the DLFO, which price increased from 799€ to 844€.
hm..
Last edited by SynthDom on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am

3pand wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am
Great first post and demo! Here is another VDL-6 demo inspired by damase's question about using the two filters in series..
thank you and for your demo! very good sounding! :D

Return to “Eurorack Modules”