Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Jee
Common Wiggler

Re: Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 am

My understanding is that DLFO will come when DTG is sold out, but I could be wrong.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 am

Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 am
I think I prefer this "mute delay" as it is rather than a "digital delay" that simply postpones the gate,I find it more flexible? We can then trigger long notes and get the triggered element (say an EG) that will not be triggered if we don't reach the delay but will be if we hold long enough the note.
Otherwise the delay would trigger inappropriately the EG after the note is released and could be odd / inconvenient in some cases ? (especially if the EG is linked to a VCA opening it while the note is off).
I can't wait to experiment!
its certainly an important difference to note and understanding to have. whether a feature or a limitation is the eye of the beholder :). Im excited to figure out what this means to me, creatively. I like working within the framework of someone else’s vision, to some extent it can bring inspiration

makes me me think, i want to vary the size of my gates sending to the input, which is perfect to use the other channel’s gate for! I think I will send the n+1 output from my verbos random sampling to voltage control the gate lengths input, could lead to cool stuff in conjunction with the delay of the first channel

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:17 pm

49 units left after 5 days of preorder, it's good to see the module seems to have a good start, encouraging for the DLFO, which price increased from 799€ to 844€.

Schippmann
Filtermeister!

Post by Schippmann » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

...your modules are calibrated now, in 2 weeks the front panels come..;)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 am

:hyper:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am

thanks for the update!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks, Carsten!

t0nmontana
Common Wiggler

Post by t0nmontana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too. Considering how popular stereo filters seem to be these days you'd think there would be more of a demand for a premium highpass and lowpass solution. They're like my swiss army knife filters too cause they're so versatile and patchable. They're just premaritally patched in my stereo processing rig, and I run everything through that. Oh well - ya'll crazy. Hopin' the EG's hold stock for a few more weeks, I gotta wait for a paycheck :chewie:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:58 am

t0nmontana wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too. Considering how popular stereo filters seem to be these days you'd think there would be more of a demand for a premium highpass and lowpass solution. They're like my swiss army knife filters too cause they're so versatile and patchable. They're just premaritally patched in my stereo processing rig, and I run everything through that. Oh well - ya'll crazy. Hopin' the EG's hold stock for a few more weeks, I gotta wait for a paycheck :chewie:
ive been interested for a while. the demos sounds good. the resonance of the vdl-6 reminds me more of my Rossum evolution actually. the manual says they are ‘diode’ filters, is this a related at all to ladder filter? without knowing much about what these terms actually mean, i have always been drawn to the sound of ladder filters, they have a strong presence and thick resonance that i tend to like. i also find the Q compensation (or Drp A/B) to be an invaluable parameter for filters too

do you have a vcf-1e to compare? i love my vcf-1e but it tends to really shape the input sound so much dramatically and experimentally that its not my go-to for processing external signals. it seems like maybe the hdh and vdl were meant to be a bit more ‘surgical’?

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I have a VDL-6 but I haven't used it for any external signal processing. It's the one module that I don't have space for in my rack and so I will occasionally swap it in but ever since getting the VCF-1E I haven't used it even though it is very different and extremely beautiful. I wouldn't mind putting a more specific demo together if you're interested. All this talk makes me want to hear it again!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:50 am

i would like to hear your demo, or anything you record from it even if you dont wanna post it feel free to pm me. do you use it in series a lot for dual peak stuff? also how is the input overdrive compared to vcf-1e?

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am

2 x Omega-Phi II into Delay and VDL-6.
enjoy!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am

Great first post and demo! Here is another VDL-6 demo inspired by damase's question about using the two filters in series:

Quick and incomplete notes I jotted while recording and turning knobs (sorry for no timings):

I tried to introduce changes methodically and so the two filter cutoffs aren't actually offset from one another until the very last section.

Setup:

2 omega phis-Saw pattern and droning pwm/square. Voltage multistage noodle sequence. 6db upper output into lower filter and out of 12db output to VCA.

-First: no resonance, minimum cutoff. Second filter w/ no offset from first. adjusting envelope scale to cover more range upwards.
-Stay at max, then max out saw input volume (external, not filter input knob)
-Next, raise upper filter cutoff knob w/ smaller envelope scaling
-Next, add some resonance on lower filter and adjust drop knob. Adjust scaling.
-Next, add upper filter resonance and adjust drop (also lower filter resonance, envelope scaling, upper filter cutoff)
-Finally, play with lower cutoff offset (and everything else). Also played with input volume on VDL-6.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm

damn, really nice demos. what i like is that it seems to hold up the subs very nicely when being pushed

i also find it amusing many of us have similar setups surrounding our schippmanns

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:05 am

Jee wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:17 pm
49 units left after 5 days of preorder, it's good to see the module seems to have a good start, encouraging for the DLFO, which price increased from 799€ to 844€.
hm..
Last edited by SynthDom on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SynthDom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthDom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am

3pand wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am
Great first post and demo! Here is another VDL-6 demo inspired by damase's question about using the two filters in series..
thank you and for your demo! very good sounding! :D

tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 am

The diode filters are a whole different story to the CS-8 series, you can't really compare imho.
Thy are sounding very very very beautiful.

How would you patch a looping EG or looping function generator with the DTG?
Any idea how to self-retrigger it? With some utility module?

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:26 pm

tom wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 am
How would you patch a looping EG or looping function generator with the DTG?
Any idea how to self-retrigger it? With some utility module?
You could do it with just one external trigger to start the cycle if you use the lower envelope as a gate delay for the upper one's decay stage gate output. You would need to adjust the attack timing of the lower envelope to make the loop, and patch the decay stage gate out of the lower envelope into the gate input of the upper one.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 am

i could be wrong but i dont think its possible to self patch for the typical looping envelope behavior... without external comparator

BUT it seems like you could get all sorts of looping behavior by using the gate delay mode and the 3 reset jacks in various ways. with independent time scales for the gate vs the envelope should lead to great results

The Gate Reset jack also is reset by a return to 0v at the Env Reset jack, hard for me to fathom the results right now, but it seems it could also play into it

Schippmann
Filtermeister!

Post by Schippmann » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

Hi there!

two (of certainly many) ideas:
A)
1.) take one Gate output and send it into ENV Gate input, untie the reset input (dummy plug)
2.) invert this Gate output (0 V->+5 V / +5 V->0 V) additionally and send this to the second Gate input in DELAY mode
3.) send this Delay ouput to the Gate input (of the first Gate)

Now, you have an oscillator (the two gates), where the Gate length (first Gate) determines the Attack/Decay-duration and the Delay-time the Release duration. Unfortunately, you need one external digital inverter.

B)
1.) use one ENV Gate input to start the oscillation
2.) send the decay active out to one Gate input in Delay mode
3.) send the Delay output to Reset input of the ENV

Now you have an oscillation using only Attack/Decay, where the delay time determines the decay phase' length and always starts by the reset to zero with attack. The total period time is the sum of attack time and delay time.

cheers, C.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 pm

The DTG units arrived! :nuke:
Testing ongoing :banana:

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Also arrived here just now!!!!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:38 pm

oh damn i didnt even know they were shipped yet!

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Let me just say, I completely understand why Jee has not come back to share his thoughts yet, haha! This is the deepest module I’ve ever used, and the way all the reset behaviors work is completely mind bending. Right now I have a dummy cable plugged into the gate-reset jack, an audio rate pulse coming from an omega phi into the gate input, then using the gate out to trigger the envelope, the vca envelope going to another omega phi’s fm input, the regular envelope out opening a vca, and the decay gate out going to the envelope reset. In summary, I have completely lost track of what is going on with all this haha, but changing the various parameters, including gate length, attack time, release time, etc., is creating some really wild fm sounds on the omega phi that I’ve never heard before. And this is all only using the top half of the DTG. Right now the module is patching me more than I am patching it but can’t wait to get a sense of purpose behind using it because wow it is incredibly open and powerful.

PS- using it as a “classic synth” envelope results in some of the nicest envelope shapes I’ve ever found. Wasn’t expecting that!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 am

Yeaah I spent some hours on it already and the first impression is: YES!!

Very deep and quite complex module indeed.
I tried to focus on 1 EG / gate to get a good feeling of how they work and behave, alone and together.

Some details about these first impressions:

GATE module
I tried to make it work "stand alone" and didn't manage it at first, until I realise I need to untie the GT-Res with a dummy cable :)
RTFM :)
I am not sure why Carsten tied it by default, but either way works and once that solved I found the module intuitive and easy to work with.
You can have the gate being "fixed time" (knob value) with a dummy GT-Rst jack in OR have the gate be cut when you reach 0V before the gate time if no plug in GT-Rst jack. Like a replica of the entering gate, but timed to a max time set by the knob.
This module is very flexible but I still need to figure out the way I want to make the best use of it, it's too early yet..
I know I will explore more the triggering in gate mode via the Active decay out to use it as a time/CV-controlled accent to trigger a second EG applied to same parameter. Did a few tries and works nicely. I will also explore the delay mode that I like a lot as it works.
I'll also makes more experiments in combination of the EG to mimic a trig behavior of the EG.
And then I'll need to experiment stuff.

EG
This is were it gets really exciting!!
So much to say already...
I focused on Vanilla use first. Very, very convincing! Crazy times, super percussive! Still very easy to set longer time, top comfort with knob ranges.
Very natural feeling with these linear envelopes, very satisfying (I prefer linear env most of the time).
The bipolar sustain rocks!!
It expands a lot the possibilities and ease of use! Like doing these "rebound / slap back / upward movement release" sounds is a piece of cake! Just go into negative territory with sustain and here you go! I really love that. I was looking for this and struggled a lot with regular EG's, mixers, VCA's, attenuverters etc... I have it all packed ans ready to use now, excellent.
I tested the EG retriggering behavior too. It is by default a hard reset of the EG for each new gate received, which is not often my preferred option. I prefer retriggering from current position that I find more natural and musical most often. DTG can do this too of course, by plugging another dummy cable into the Env-Rst jack. But I guess I would have preferred opposite default.
There is no dedicated trig mode for the EG though, as far as I saw. We can kind of mimic it using the gate module but it is still slightly different. But also interesting, worth exploring.
CV inputs 1V/Decade: really large control over the time range!! It's massive. However the default behavior for all these inputs is what I would call "inversed". Sending positive voltage will decrease the time so basically mimic a CCW knob movement. I found this choice not so intuitive personally. I would have preferred the opposite maybe. Like if you play a staccato synth with short decay and want to increase briefly the decay to make it sound "fuller/longer" you need a negative CV, so you need an inverter before in most cases... But I guess it's just a habit to take. And the time range of the CV inputs is so large that we might need attenuverter every time to get a controlled effect actually...
Sending the VCA out to the time range gives incredible results though! It is bending a lot the curves and gives a totally different feeling to the sound!
Try simple stuff like the EG going to a cutoff, Attack 0, Decay Max, 0 sustain and plug the VCA out. Send poisitive voltage little by little and you'll get exponential "plucky" curve and it sounds like no other "exp curve decay" I heard... Super plucky/percussive but not harsh, quite smooth sound I would say, declicious. I will clearly explore further this.
I didn't explore much the VCA out yet except for these time modulation. This is convenient to have a VCA, I'm sure I'll make use of it.
I also tried the most basic retriggring I found by plugging the active decay to the Env-Rst jack and you have then a gated cycling ramp-up oscillator/LFO. Quite cool and simple. I didn't try Carsten's trick described above in the thread to get a cycling attack-decay through gate module but I will.

SO far I think I just scratched the surface.... who said deep module?
Finally we have to get used to work with dummy cables :) The 2 reset jack inputs (gate and env) or delay/gate mode often need dummy cables, at least for my most regular uses. I ended up murdering a 10cm yellow doepfer cable to create to dummy 2 jacks (like pins) and avoid having cables floating lol. Maybe slight overkill^^
But it is almost the same yellow than the CS-8 yellow, that's fashion :lol:

OFF TOPIC
By the way I have finally decided to go "true polyphonic" on my Schippmann modular and ordered 2 more VCF1 to be able to have identical setting on all 4 voices. I was struggling to get VCF2 and VCF1 to sound really close in polyphonic mode -I poorly planned this originally... I knew the filters were sounding quite different it should have been an obvious warning! :doh:
Therefore I will sell 1 of my 2 VCF2 for a good price (500€, perfect condition). I can't sell them both, it's too good I need to keep one.
If any one from this thread is interested before I post it more widely just le me know.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”