Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Jee
Common Wiggler

Re: Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by Jee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:49 am

One more thing I just tried: send a drum loop to VCF and then trigger DTG with the same audio signal, see if I get DTG to create these lovely punchy filter sweep on drums that Euf coud do.
And it totally works perfectly! I am SO PLEASED with this!! That expands even more the possibilities!
The trigger is incredibly responsive!! 8-)
Maybe even too much because I get a bit of noise which sounds like the env being triggered really fast (like by all the audio signal, not just peaks).
Could partially get round it increasing release and/or sending also the audio to Env RSt input but not totally. But it gives some gritty sounds!
Still need to explore it though, maybe filtering the signal pre-gating could also give good results...

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm

The thing that makes this module pure magic for making transient envelopes is the fact that it does not have the option to simply trigger it. The envelope shape you get depends just as much on the gate length you send in as anything else, and so the fine tuned (and voltage controlable!) gate output for each envelope completely unlocks a whole world of sound. You can easily hear the range of amazing sounds you can get just by varying the gate length by tiny amounts! And i agree with Jee, using feedback to adjust the curves of the different stages is really something I haven't heard before when adjusting stages on other envelope generators. Finally I can adjust each envelope to perfectly sit inside of any groove happening in a track and not feel like it was just "good enough"!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:26 pm

thanks for the reports yall. eagerly awaiting to test this out. its sounding like he knocked it out of the park on this. the cv decreasing stage time is not what i expected, but it shouldnt be a problem really just a quirk

mine should be in this week, seems like my 6 year envelope search is coming to an end :)

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 pm

1000% knocked it out of the park, and yes the search is at an end.

If by CV decreasing stage time, you're referring to what I last wrote, sorry I didn't explain so clearly. What I meant was that since when the gate goes off, the envelope always jumps to the release stage, you can have many many different envelope shapes because of the separate gate section of the module and how you can use it to precisely hear all the different shapes you get by gradually letting more of the envelope stages through before the release hits. You can for instance, do a sort of crossfade, or better to call it transition maybe, between a release shape and a decay shape simply by increasing the gate length from the point where only the attack phase is finished through to the point where the decay phase ends (keeping sustain at 0).

So by turning the gate knob you go from
attack-release
attack-d-release
attack de-release
attack-dec-release
all the way to attack-decay (no release because sustain is 0)

really fun and extremely jammable even. also sequencing the gate length within a range that makes sense is amazing.

the more I explore it, the more I realize that all of the quirks and things that at first didn't make sense to me are what make it so powerful and expressive.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Little DTG demo.

Here's an example of how modulating and sequencing the gate length can sound like you are manipulating a sequence while the incoming gate input is just a steady stream of triggers! I had a lot of fun with this trick. The only thing being modulated in this demo is the DTG, the underlying sequence and oscillator always stays the same, everything you hear is caused by just one envelope of the DTG modulating filter cutoff and the same envelope used for the VCA. Omega Phi saw into a Bionic Lester mk1 (the high aliasing sound of the filter makes it easy to hear the release phase changing shape). Also here you can hear a little sampling of how the envelope sounds with different stage times and feedback curve changes.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 am

Great demo!
Sounds fat :)
It shows very well the gating effect.
So by turning the gate knob you go from
attack-release
attack-d-release
attack de-release
attack-dec-release
all the way to attack-decay (no release because sustain is 0)
I see exactly what you mean. This is the sort of thing that EuF was shinning for with its great Hold stage and trig behavior.
I have been looking to recreate it but could never achieve it with other tool because the RMS-based trigger of EuF is also very unique.
With a dummy cable in Gate Rst that's almost a trig behavior that is reproduced.

Another way could be to plug the decay active out to the Hold input (no need of gate module in this case). As long as attack is finished the EG is held at max for the duration of the decay transforming the envelope in an AH(S)R. This should do pretty much the same and frees the gate module for something else but is less "trig-like" (needs regular gate)?

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Do you all think more of these will be made in the future? Really want one based on your comments and the other Schippman modules I have, however cashflow is tight right now. I have a falistri on the chopping block, to help get this. It's great, but i believe this will get me a LOT more of what I'm after.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:40 pm

Another demo no one asked for haha! This time it's the COOK compressor and the DST2 distortion.

I've just been re-acquainting myself with the way all the Schippmann modules work together and can be used to create grooves and give rhythmic life to tracks in amazing ways. Here you can first hear a pattern that is rhythmically static. After the fadeout, you can hear the same pattern but put through the COOK compressor with some extreme settings and sequenced modulation. Lots of movement, but pretty extreme, next the original track is blended in parallel to get the best of both worlds. After that, the original track is attenuverted against the compressed version in order to find interesting grooves that come out of the difference between the tracks. This is where the distortion module works some magic. It is used not for overt distortion, but to simply add sustain to the track when there is a cool groove happening but the sounds are all too short and choppy sounding (it also adds a bit of crunch of course). Finally there is just random tweaking at the end for a bit.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:45 pm

Wubz wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm
Do you all think more of these will be made in the future? Really want one based on your comments and the other Schippman modules I have, however cashflow is tight right now. I have a falistri on the chopping block, to help get this. It's great, but i believe this will get me a LOT more of what I'm after.
Good question! I don't think anyone can answer that. According to the info on the Schippmann website, there won't be any produced in the future. The one thing I will say is, I think that no matter how rare a module is, at some point, someone down the line will have it for sale for some reason. So there's always hope in case it sells out sooner rather than later!

tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am

3pand wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:40 pm
This time it's the COOK compressor and the DST2 distortion.

is this + OmegaPhi and DTG?

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:07 am

tom wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am
3pand wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:40 pm
This time it's the COOK compressor and the DST2 distortion.

is this + OmegaPhi and DTG?
Yes and also Bionic Lester mk1.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am

nice demos 3pand, makin me want the cook even more

i also use the dst2 for subtle fattening pretty often. ive never had a distortion that was so easy to blend into a mix or can just pump some good juice without overtaking the character of the source. a while ago i was doing vocals in the rack and needed more gain, but didnt have a preamp so i just stuck it into the dst2 and pumped it pretty hard and it sounded fantastic... as in, you can easily hear it but you dont tend to notice it. secret weapon module for me

still hope one day he produces the other distortion he had planned, with selectable crossover. id like it in stereo too personally like a miniature culture vulture

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes nice demos 3pand, liked it, subtle, varied, punchy and full of movement!
DST2 definitely secret weapon module! So simple but yet so versatile... love it.

I just purchased a second hand drumbrute impact and immediately sent it to the modular and DTG is shinning with drums audio-triggered.
Coupled with VCF1 I got very close to this EuF feeling! Too lazy to record tonight and make proper demos but I will surely do soon if anyone's interested (even if not, I will follow 3pand's move and do demos nobody has asked for :lol: )

And please no new distortion, I don't have any space left for it ultimately, I would be too frustrated! :lol:

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 am

Wow cool tip, damase, good to know it can be used in that way!

As soon as I received the COOK many months ago I immediately ordered another one. It can also be a sort of secret ingredient module that, once it starts adding that motion and life to things, not using it makes everything sound boring and static. It's like when you inject tiny bits of random signal into the right parts of a patch and everything comes to life, except you can use it in a purposeful and enhancing way, and still put the random in on top.

I agree with you both about the multiband distortion, it would be amazing but also I would need to make room for it somehow haha. As it is, it's amazing how well the DST2 works in many different situations.

Hope to hear the DTG audio-triggered demo, but no pressure! I'm looking forward to trying that out. Really looking forward to the DLFO after seeing how unique the DTG is!!!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 am

finally giving the DTG a run down here. very expressive module, i still have a lot to learn about how it works. i sat down to just patch one of my favorite patches, simple duo-phony with typical kind of enveloping and it brought me into some places envelopes have never taken me before, having the extra control and rhythmic ability from the early part of the patching signal chain really makes a patch sound so much different. i sat down to record a simple demo of the trumpet kind of fanfare sound i had (OmegaPhi - Phi Sine into its own TZFM input gets a wildly natural sound wind instrument sound)... but three hours later it had turned into a much deeper track already.

things i love... the range to dial in! wow its a dream to use an envelope with this kind of precision. thats all i needed to sell me honestly im hooked just by that. its so precise you get to dial in the exact kind of ‘click’ you cant for a punchy attack and still easily dial in longer swells perfectly. i also love how it jumps straight to release phase when your gate is finished, without needing to finish the attack phase. super natural feeling for strings and pads. i play a lot by hand so i have expressive ability of gate length already. i love the visual feedback of LED per stage. i enjoyed the default behavior of how the envelope resets from 0 (it makes more sense when playing duophonic by keyboard).

things i noticed... this module eats utilities and has the potential to make a cable jungle. gotta rearrange my rack to put it in an easier spot and surround it with dedicated utilities. the flipside to that, is that it easily becomes a complex center-point much more than other envelopes. the 1v/dec scaling is very interesting, i need to investigate more... i could dial modulation very easy but it certainly needed attenuators to get me there. the VCA input was not as easy for me to simply throw in my velocity signal as i expected, it felt like my velocity was either very strong or very weak, but this was without much further investigation and could be from how my FH-2 is set up

question yall could maybe help with...
im a little confused why the Gate mode has no response until there is a dummy cable into the Gate Reset jack. Maybe this is because how the Env Gate is inversely tied to the Gate Reset? i just expected it to be simple to just throw a trig into the left side and have it make a gate without any other patching necessary, trying to understand the reasoning here so i can use it to my own advantage instead of confusion

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:18 am

100% agree about the stage lights, never even thought about it but your comment made me realize I completely rely on them to help know how to expressively push a patch around with the DTG. And yes, it eats utilities like no other haha!

Also yeah, it feels so nice the way this module loves to become the center of a patch. It's like a black hole of expressiveness that slowly pulls all attenuverters, sequencers and cables to it one by one lol.

About the gate reset behavior, you're right. It doesn't work that way in the delay mode, but in gate mode the gate will always be reset to 0 when the envelope gate is done/low. I think if you try setting up Carsten's patch that he described here and also in the manual that adds a hold phase after the attack, it makes it more clear why such a reset behavior is helpful. In a patch like that, if the gate didn't get reset when the envelope gate is low, then the hold phase could potentially last longer than the incoming envelope gate itself if you increase the gate length knob past a certain point. But with the inverse reset behavior, in that patch the hold time can never be longer than the envelope gate and can of course be shorter as well by adjusting the gate length knob. Maybe that's one reason for why it works that way? Without the reset, it would probably be awkward if you are playing gates on a keyboard like you said and sometimes notes would sustain longer than you want them to. It's early haha but maybe that's one explanation!

Was curious to know your thoughts about the DTG, thanks for sharing!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 pm

good point i immediately see the hold stage usage you describe. ive never used hold stage much on other envelopes but this one having such precision in those short time periods i think i need to do that anyway. DTG really breaks an envelope down in its core structure and gives you freedom to rewire it... its fascinating.

i need some logic modules very badly now. anyone have suggestion?... thinking the joranalogue compare 2 is nice i just think the panel design will look funky next to my schippmanns and verbos stuff... which is stupid but gives me hesitation

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Just a basic drum loop from the drumbrute going into VCF1 (phaser mode)>DST2>VCF2 (LP mode).
1 Envelope from DTG controlling both filter cutoff in an inverse way (VCF1 positive, VCF2 negative). Quite high resonance to emphasis on the EG effect for demo purposes.
DTG gate unused.
The audio trigger is so sensitive that we can clearly hear the envelope retriggering at audio rate on top of giving motion on the major hits of the drum loop (kick and snare essentially). I plugged a dummy jack into Env Res to smooth a little this effect otherwise it is way too drastic.
Input level into gate acts as a threshold for trigger somehow, the behavior changes radically just with tiny adjustments.
It is not easy to get this kind of result though, it requires lots of fine tuning but I will keep on exploring because it might be worth to get into wild territories.
I actived the distortion on the drumbrute at around 1mn, this also changes the behavior of the EG triggering. Then I decreased decay and it sounds like hard distortion but it is only super fast and extreme EG motion on cutoff...
Played just a couple of times with FSR1 pressure sensor sent to VCF1 cutoff and a bit of delay mix at the very end for fun.
There is so much to explore...

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm

that is so cool. definitely going to do this asap. thanks for the share. schippmanns make that arturia really sing

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Yeah, drumbrute is fun but doesn't sound so great (but serves well as drum source for furthr processing, I bought it for this purpose).
Another example, much simpler:
drum loop into VCF1 LP mode, got some nice filter sweep here.
Just played a bit with CV amont and cutoff.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Amazing, thanks Jee! Also looking forward to trying this. In the first demo you posted the cool thing is that in one way it's an extreme processing example, but in another way, it doesn't sound like "extreme processed drums", which sometimes I find not so interesting. In many places in the demo it sounds more like everything that is happening is really just tied in with shaping the drum sound from a lower level.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes I think we can do amazing rythmic stuff using this audio-trigger thing.
Last one for tonight and I'll call it a day.
Still drums onto VCF1 like example 2 but DST2 and DLD added after. DTG env out sent to DTG VCA in which drastically increases the effect of VCA out to VCF1. I used a negative sustain here. Env out also sent to DLD time and hold CV inputs and it gets weird! But still very usable imho :)
As drumbrute sends clock to DLD and DTG is triggered on the main hits, all remains pretty synced (more or less lol).
Tomorrow I'll go back to more traditional synth stuff :)

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 am

Ordered. Frap Tools Falistiri and MI stages (one of two), were sacrificed at the Schippmann alter. I think i made the right call.. Did I?

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:57 am

Answer in a few days when it reaches you but I think you won't regret it ;)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:30 am

damase wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 pm
i need some logic modules very badly now. anyone have suggestion?... thinking the joranalogue compare 2 is nice i just think the panel design will look funky next to my schippmanns and verbos stuff... which is stupid but gives me hesitation
Joranalogue compare 2 looks really nice indeed, it's in my top list of logic modules but I don't know how to fit it yet. Still moving stuff here and there to find a way to integrate but I'm stuck... (I would certainly need 2 of them). Not even sure I would make use of all the functions it has.

Intellijel also has a simple quad inverter in 2hp that seems quite convenient. They also make this Plog module that looks quite interesting too but same issue.
In my context I'm looking more for quad compact logic module with limited functionnalities like this quad inverter from intellijel.
I would fancy a quad gate inverter (0>1 / 1>0 instead of CV inverter that goes negative) also in 2hp, would be really useful but doesn' t exist.

What do you think would be the most useful on your side?
I'm keen on getting some ideas.
I would say essentially CV and gate inverters on my side, the other kind of logic can be very useful but tend to be mind twisting, in particular in polyphonic patches :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”