Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by damase » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 pm

good point i immediately see the hold stage usage you describe. ive never used hold stage much on other envelopes but this one having such precision in those short time periods i think i need to do that anyway. DTG really breaks an envelope down in its core structure and gives you freedom to rewire it... its fascinating.

i need some logic modules very badly now. anyone have suggestion?... thinking the joranalogue compare 2 is nice i just think the panel design will look funky next to my schippmanns and verbos stuff... which is stupid but gives me hesitation

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Just a basic drum loop from the drumbrute going into VCF1 (phaser mode)>DST2>VCF2 (LP mode).
1 Envelope from DTG controlling both filter cutoff in an inverse way (VCF1 positive, VCF2 negative). Quite high resonance to emphasis on the EG effect for demo purposes.
DTG gate unused.
The audio trigger is so sensitive that we can clearly hear the envelope retriggering at audio rate on top of giving motion on the major hits of the drum loop (kick and snare essentially). I plugged a dummy jack into Env Res to smooth a little this effect otherwise it is way too drastic.
Input level into gate acts as a threshold for trigger somehow, the behavior changes radically just with tiny adjustments.
It is not easy to get this kind of result though, it requires lots of fine tuning but I will keep on exploring because it might be worth to get into wild territories.
I actived the distortion on the drumbrute at around 1mn, this also changes the behavior of the EG triggering. Then I decreased decay and it sounds like hard distortion but it is only super fast and extreme EG motion on cutoff...
Played just a couple of times with FSR1 pressure sensor sent to VCF1 cutoff and a bit of delay mix at the very end for fun.
There is so much to explore...

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm

that is so cool. definitely going to do this asap. thanks for the share. schippmanns make that arturia really sing

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Yeah, drumbrute is fun but doesn't sound so great (but serves well as drum source for furthr processing, I bought it for this purpose).
Another example, much simpler:
drum loop into VCF1 LP mode, got some nice filter sweep here.
Just played a bit with CV amont and cutoff.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Amazing, thanks Jee! Also looking forward to trying this. In the first demo you posted the cool thing is that in one way it's an extreme processing example, but in another way, it doesn't sound like "extreme processed drums", which sometimes I find not so interesting. In many places in the demo it sounds more like everything that is happening is really just tied in with shaping the drum sound from a lower level.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes I think we can do amazing rythmic stuff using this audio-trigger thing.
Last one for tonight and I'll call it a day.
Still drums onto VCF1 like example 2 but DST2 and DLD added after. DTG env out sent to DTG VCA in which drastically increases the effect of VCA out to VCF1. I used a negative sustain here. Env out also sent to DLD time and hold CV inputs and it gets weird! But still very usable imho :)
As drumbrute sends clock to DLD and DTG is triggered on the main hits, all remains pretty synced (more or less lol).
Tomorrow I'll go back to more traditional synth stuff :)

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 am

Ordered. Frap Tools Falistiri and MI stages (one of two), were sacrificed at the Schippmann alter. I think i made the right call.. Did I?

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:57 am

Answer in a few days when it reaches you but I think you won't regret it ;)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:30 am

damase wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:04 pm
i need some logic modules very badly now. anyone have suggestion?... thinking the joranalogue compare 2 is nice i just think the panel design will look funky next to my schippmanns and verbos stuff... which is stupid but gives me hesitation
Joranalogue compare 2 looks really nice indeed, it's in my top list of logic modules but I don't know how to fit it yet. Still moving stuff here and there to find a way to integrate but I'm stuck... (I would certainly need 2 of them). Not even sure I would make use of all the functions it has.

Intellijel also has a simple quad inverter in 2hp that seems quite convenient. They also make this Plog module that looks quite interesting too but same issue.
In my context I'm looking more for quad compact logic module with limited functionnalities like this quad inverter from intellijel.
I would fancy a quad gate inverter (0>1 / 1>0 instead of CV inverter that goes negative) also in 2hp, would be really useful but doesn' t exist.

What do you think would be the most useful on your side?
I'm keen on getting some ideas.
I would say essentially CV and gate inverters on my side, the other kind of logic can be very useful but tend to be mind twisting, in particular in polyphonic patches :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 am

yea sadly space is an issue for me as well and the compare2 being amazing at what it does, is still not the perfrct “companion” module for the DTG i think. i do already have a few ways to invert already myself... and logic is definitely what i lack but a whole other topic. i did notice this cool little ALM Milton module, gives some handy functions in 4hp... for me 2hp modules are sometimes too skinny and too deep if its anything other than a passive mult. another super interesting module is the Warm Star The Bends which could potentially be a very playful multi-use utility pairing

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:36 am

For once can with this brand, can we get a comprehensive video? He's proved himself in the aural stakes- I'd buy blind but these aren't audio tool and I cannot see the possibilities atm, I just dont quite get what they do and reading others interpretations isn't helping me either.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:36 am
For once can with this brand, can we get a comprehensive video? He's proved himself in the aural stakes- I'd buy blind but these aren't audio tool and I cannot see the possibilities atm, I just dont quite get what they do and reading others interpretations isn't helping me either.
its definitely one you will have to get hands on to really get it, but the manual does have the info in it, ive found my expectations translated well from manual reading to module receiving. id be surprised to see a video run-through, if you have questions of a specific feature “what happens if i do this?”... im happy to test it out for you

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:25 am

I did some demo videos on my youtube channel some years ago but found myself too lazy to get back to it... but it tickles me since a while... I might make the move eventually at some point because I would like to do some modular patch tutorial standing as demos at the same time... :roll:

weirdo
Common Wiggler

Post by weirdo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

I thought about getting the Klavis Flexshaper, need some more utils, attenuverters etc. Thanks for the tipp with Warm Star The Bends (and i was also considering the ALM Milton since a few weeks btw.).

I had some very funky and interesting results with the DTG already but need to practise to fully understand it.
It pairs really well with the Omega-Phi‘s, i did some crossmodulation with and without tzfm, out of the vco‘s into DTG and vice-versa etc.
Im very happy with it so far and this thread here is very interesting to see how other people using it.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:18 pm

Finally got around to trying the audio signal trigger idea that Jee introduced a few posts ago! Made it into a video since a few posts ago it was requested to see what was happening, so this time audio quality is not good.

In this case the resonance of the filter that is being controlled by the lower envelope of DTG has a big effect on how the filter mix output affects the envelope reset parameter while everything is going. Super cool to have this relationship where altering the sound of the filter with the resonance or the input gain or the filter mode has an effect on the filter envelope! Thanks, Jee!!!

The sound and the basic patch on this demo is super uninteresting but hopefully the simplicity helps to see more clearly what the DTG is doing/adding.

Here's the little notes:

First a boring pattern with no modulation in to the DTG
Then a couple modulation sources are patched in to the lower envelope that is controlling filter cutoff
Then the filter mix output is routed to envelope reset via a channel of QuadroPol that is CV'd by the upper half of DTG (also w/ modulation in)

The filter resonance and other controls provide some variations to how the mix output creates the sort of ratcheting effect on the lower envelope.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:21 am

really nice demo, shows the technique off well. so much to explore in the module, so far ive mainly just still messed about with the looping patches Carsten described on page 12of this thread. theyre very simple but lots of cool patterns easily emerge for me

anyone know anything about timing on the DLFO production?

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

This helped me more than the somewhat brain-melting manual. Thanks so much for taking the time.
Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 am
Yeaah I spent some hours on it already and the first impression is: YES!!

Very deep and quite complex module indeed.
I tried to focus on 1 EG / gate to get a good feeling of how they work and behave, alone and together.

Some details about these first impressions:

GATE module
I tried to make it work "stand alone" and didn't manage it at first, until I realise I need to untie the GT-Res with a dummy cable :)
RTFM :)
I am not sure why Carsten tied it by default, but either way works and once that solved I found the module intuitive and easy to work with.
You can have the gate being "fixed time" (knob value) with a dummy GT-Rst jack in OR have the gate be cut when you reach 0V before the gate time if no plug in GT-Rst jack. Like a replica of the entering gate, but timed to a max time set by the knob.
This module is very flexible but I still need to figure out the way I want to make the best use of it, it's too early yet..
I know I will explore more the triggering in gate mode via the Active decay out to use it as a time/CV-controlled accent to trigger a second EG applied to same parameter. Did a few tries and works nicely. I will also explore the delay mode that I like a lot as it works.
I'll also makes more experiments in combination of the EG to mimic a trig behavior of the EG.
And then I'll need to experiment stuff.

EG
This is were it gets really exciting!!
So much to say already...
I focused on Vanilla use first. Very, very convincing! Crazy times, super percussive! Still very easy to set longer time, top comfort with knob ranges.
Very natural feeling with these linear envelopes, very satisfying (I prefer linear env most of the time).
The bipolar sustain rocks!!
It expands a lot the possibilities and ease of use! Like doing these "rebound / slap back / upward movement release" sounds is a piece of cake! Just go into negative territory with sustain and here you go! I really love that. I was looking for this and struggled a lot with regular EG's, mixers, VCA's, attenuverters etc... I have it all packed ans ready to use now, excellent.
I tested the EG retriggering behavior too. It is by default a hard reset of the EG for each new gate received, which is not often my preferred option. I prefer retriggering from current position that I find more natural and musical most often. DTG can do this too of course, by plugging another dummy cable into the Env-Rst jack. But I guess I would have preferred opposite default.
There is no dedicated trig mode for the EG though, as far as I saw. We can kind of mimic it using the gate module but it is still slightly different. But also interesting, worth exploring.
CV inputs 1V/Decade: really large control over the time range!! It's massive. However the default behavior for all these inputs is what I would call "inversed". Sending positive voltage will decrease the time so basically mimic a CCW knob movement. I found this choice not so intuitive personally. I would have preferred the opposite maybe. Like if you play a staccato synth with short decay and want to increase briefly the decay to make it sound "fuller/longer" you need a negative CV, so you need an inverter before in most cases... But I guess it's just a habit to take. And the time range of the CV inputs is so large that we might need attenuverter every time to get a controlled effect actually...
Sending the VCA out to the time range gives incredible results though! It is bending a lot the curves and gives a totally different feeling to the sound!
Try simple stuff like the EG going to a cutoff, Attack 0, Decay Max, 0 sustain and plug the VCA out. Send poisitive voltage little by little and you'll get exponential "plucky" curve and it sounds like no other "exp curve decay" I heard... Super plucky/percussive but not harsh, quite smooth sound I would say, declicious. I will clearly explore further this.
I didn't explore much the VCA out yet except for these time modulation. This is convenient to have a VCA, I'm sure I'll make use of it.
I also tried the most basic retriggring I found by plugging the active decay to the Env-Rst jack and you have then a gated cycling ramp-up oscillator/LFO. Quite cool and simple. I didn't try Carsten's trick described above in the thread to get a cycling attack-decay through gate module but I will.

SO far I think I just scratched the surface.... who said deep module?
Finally we have to get used to work with dummy cables :) The 2 reset jack inputs (gate and env) or delay/gate mode often need dummy cables, at least for my most regular uses. I ended up murdering a 10cm yellow doepfer cable to create to dummy 2 jacks (like pins) and avoid having cables floating lol. Maybe slight overkill^^
But it is almost the same yellow than the CS-8 yellow, that's fashion :lol:

OFF TOPIC
By the way I have finally decided to go "true polyphonic" on my Schippmann modular and ordered 2 more VCF1 to be able to have identical setting on all 4 voices. I was struggling to get VCF2 and VCF1 to sound really close in polyphonic mode -I poorly planned this originally... I knew the filters were sounding quite different it should have been an obvious warning! :doh:
Therefore I will sell 1 of my 2 VCF2 for a good price (500€, perfect condition). I can't sell them both, it's too good I need to keep one.
If any one from this thread is interested before I post it more widely just le me know.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 am

@Wubz: my pleasure ;)

@3pand: nice demos! Modulation and livelyness is striking :)

@damase: DLFO.. no idea but now I am waiting for it! When I see the quality and performance of this DTG, this LFO promises a lot :)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm

In the category "demo nobody asked for"...
I finally, took a moment to record a tasty sounding patch that turned into a little jam. Unfortunately I ruined it with my poor playing skills but that will still serve the purpose of a demo of the 4 voices in action with drums processed thru a 5th filter (vcf-02), too.
I hope you like it! (or not, it's fine too^^).

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:23 pm

wooo! damn that was super fresh, and the FM patch sounds incredible! Thanks for putting it together so professionally and sharing the notes, will revisit them and check out a smaller version haha.

weirdo
Common Wiggler

Post by weirdo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm

t0nmontana wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too.
Dont! I want those too hmhmm 🤦🏻‍♂️

and how could i not buy a PHS-28, out of stock damn it

t0nmontana
Common Wiggler

Post by t0nmontana » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:31 pm

weirdo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm
t0nmontana wrote:
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too.

I think there's a PHS-28 on reverb right now. Also, pretty sure Analoguehaven actually still has some new ones in stock still. Def worth it if you got the scratch. Mine will never leave my side. Meanwhile I'm trying to sell some old gear so I can grab this DTG!

weirdo
Common Wiggler

Post by weirdo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 pm

t0nmontana wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:31 pm
I think there's a PHS-28 on reverb right now. Also, pretty sure Analoguehaven actually still has some new ones in stock still. Def worth it if you got the scratch. Mine will never leave my side. Meanwhile I'm trying to sell some old gear so I can grab this DTG!
Thanks! i will look into this. DTG is great for sure! Im sure its a keeper and hope you can manage to get one.

Cheers :tu:

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:04 pm

How do you know theres only one left? Does it say stock count left somewhere?
weirdo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm
t0nmontana wrote:

Alexander Kuznetsov
Common Wiggler

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:52 pm

1000$ for a phaser? I think this is a bit overpriced.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”