Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

t0nmontana
Common Wiggler

Re: Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Post by t0nmontana » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Wubz wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:04 pm
How do you know theres only one left? Does it say stock count left somewhere?
weirdo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm
t0nmontana wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too.
Dont! I want those too hmhmm 🤦🏻‍♂️

and how could i not buy a PHS-28, out of stock damn it
Occasionally if I'm on the analoguehaven website I'll check and it always says in stock. So I just assume they never sold out of em. It is a $1000 phaser so...u know...it's not for everyone! On a side note, I just sold that gear, so the DTG has been ordered! (and a DTS2 for good measure)

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Keen to hear your thoughts on DTS2. Very tempted to get it.
t0nmontana wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 pm
Wubz wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:04 pm
How do you know theres only one left? Does it say stock count left somewhere?
weirdo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm
t0nmontana wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:48 pm
Man, I can't believe that poor final VDL-6 is still in stock. And a bunch of the HDH6s too.
Dont! I want those too hmhmm 🤦🏻‍♂️

and how could i not buy a PHS-28, out of stock damn it
Occasionally if I'm on the analoguehaven website I'll check and it always says in stock. So I just assume they never sold out of em. It is a $1000 phaser so...u know...it's not for everyone! On a side note, I just sold that gear, so the DTG has been ordered! (and a DTS2 for good measure)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:42 am

DST2 is absolutely fantastic.
So simple but yet so useful and good sounding.
Very subtle warm overdrive and compression to extreme distortion, without losing the bottom end due to the 2 bands nature of the distortion.
A must have secret weapon !!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Another small jam / track featuring 4 voices of Omega-Phi. I used the 4 VCF-1 as VCO's to get a 4 voices / 2 operators FM synth with steady tuning, it's dope! There is also self-Phase Modulation on each voice. 4 DTG for the VCA's (vanilla use).

The specific about FM here is that it is rhythmically driven through 3 EG's that are triggered by audio signal. I could have done it with DTG but I was keen on trying this new module :)
It is actually a prototype from Mazzatron synth and uses Schmitt trigger circuit like DTG. It is as reactive to audio signals as DTG actually.
More info about this collaboration with Mazzatron Synth in a dedicated thread though, here is not the place.

As these Schippmann demos lead me to get more into Live play than strictly demos I will not post the next ones here to prevent polluting / spamming the topic too much. Feel free to subscribe to my channel to get the next ones as there will be more (hopefully improving with each new release..). There will always be a place of choice for the Schippmann modular in the live setup. I really spent a good moment patching these voices and finding a few extras (so little actually!) to make it a little live track :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 pm

thats dope. could get an eminem type’s fierce rap over the top of that one

this particular thread is pretty jumbled at the time anyway, but it has become more about the new limited modules at this point that we are all interested to hear more about with limited channels for that particular info
however schippmann demos are too few by far and if you went through the effort to film a jam including the modules its certainly relevant and desired content. maybe a new thread for schippmann demos to keep posting?

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 pm

Great demos, thanks.
Just bought a DST2 after loving the Schippmann modules I've bought so far.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Another awesome demo, thanks!! Staying hopeful that the DLFO will still be happening.....

edit: I called it a demo just out of reflexive habit, but should've said "track/performance"!!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:27 pm

It half a demo half a (doubtful) performance ;)
Thanks for your comment :)
I prefer to answer your youtube question here:
the patch cables are Cordial CPI modular cables: https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordial_cpi_03_zz.htm
you find them in 15 / 30 / 60 /90 cm (maybe 1.2m too...)
A bit expensive but quality stuff.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Haha thanks!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm

my pleasure :)
by the way i am pretty confident that DLFO will come, I assume Carsten did all the design already and is waiting to sell out DTG before going in production with DLFO to finance it.
That's just my 2 cents but I would be surprised (and very disapointed) if it was cancelled. I am expecting it a lot :)

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:14 am

Can I ask, how do I get hard sync with the omega phi? Is it by sending the same signal to teh revers and set jacks? That's what it sounds like inthe manual. I had thought a signal to set was required. Thanks

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 am

Hardsync is just the "set" input, the other ones are soft sync ;)

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 am

Ya, after another read of the old manual I figured that out.
Thanks
Jee wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 am
Hardsync is just the "set" input, the other ones are soft sync ;)

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Spotted an update on the site: Looks like the DLFO is having a component delivery problem but at least things are in motion!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 am

nice, thanks... definitely glad to see the update.

been loving the DTG still, im still getting used to it slowly. Its really got a lot to explore and not much of the patch programming is obvious, but pays off more as i learn more about it. I was thinking maybe a matrix mixer parked next to it could be nice

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:51 am

Cool !
I particularly like the VCA out that helps a lot with patching!
Really a nice deep module.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 pm

3pand wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm
Spotted an update on the site: Looks like the DLFO is having a component delivery problem but at least things are in motion!
Yeah just noticed this too!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 am

Quick question for Ophi users:
do you have saturation issues in your mixers when you mix square and saw waves of multiple ophi into a mixer?
I noticed some saturation with my L-1 quad VCA when going above mid positions (I wrote to aleksei to ask if it's normal) but I also noticed the same (less pronounced) with the intellijel quadratt (I can reach a little more than half way on all 4 ins).
I saw in the manual that saw outputs at 8Vpp and square at 10Vpp which might be a little too hot for some mixers?
Any views?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm

trying it now. just straight waveforms into some of my mixers

as i already knew, it does not happen for me with the Quadropol sounds super clean. or the even the Cwejman MX-4s if i go atraight in with waveforms and max knobs out, the LEDs are all green indicated no overloading and it sounds clean also. Also no distortion if i use the mixers in the Verbos CVP.

if i use the Intellijel Quadatt, it sounds distorted to me, and ive mentioned this before in one of these Schippmann threads. Its only a slight dirtiness not super abrasive, you might not notice at first but it really affects the overall weight of the sound. I could see it being desirable in some circumstance but I never mix audio in it

I personally love my Quadropol. Maybe the most underrated module ever. Even if I use the CV inputs instead for the waveforms, and leave the usual inputs open, it still sounds completely clean and high definition.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Many thanks for doing the test damase.
I bought an L-1 quad VCA that I hoped wouldn't be affected by this but it is.
Aleksei answered quickly explained that if I sum 2 waves that are 10Vpp together the moment they peak together will lead to almost 20Vpp.
The VCA will saturate above 20Vpp which explains my issue as I'm mixing 4 of them. Maybe quadratt has a larger tolerance and Quadropol even bigger.
Well it's not the end of the world I just have to reduce input volume but prevents using the full VCA range.
As I'm still not completely sure about the last 12hp left in the rack maybe I'll go for a quadropol finally :roll:
Let's see if that bothers me on the long run or not.

by the way a poly patch turned again into an improvised track on the fly, just hit record so no clean mix, no real structure but real pleasure :)
This time I did cross-modulation between the voices wich creates great "vibrating" sound turning to noise with excessive amplitude, loved it!
This modular is freaking inspiring. It's going through Vertice filterbank as well as the vermona MARS for the bass.
DTG is also in and modulate a mazzatron X-1 filter placed in the path of the delay. I use DTG gate (modulated) to trigger DTG EG, it's so cool :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm

nice that was really cool. i like the ratchet sounding fast lfo that you degrade the original filtered sound into. is that the DTG retriggering somehow? if so please do share :)

im actually interested how you patch cross-modulation too, i liked the sound (on the pads right?)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:10 pm

The fast LFO effect (at the end) is actually the EG of Vertice that I looped but kept triggering it with the drumloop leading so these cool effects.
This thing is alive anayway... it is doing its own thing... it is fireworks of happy accidents!
The "bouncing" sound that we hear from the very begining is DTG modulating the X-1 filter applied to the delay (that is not a send).

You're correct cross mod on the pads.
I used only squares (audible) and modulated them with sines (smoother effect for this kind of stuff) and I patched "round robin":
- sine VCO 1 > FM VCO2
- Sine VCO 2 > FM VCO 3
- Sine VCO 3 > FM VCO 4
- Sine VCO 4 > FM VCO 1
Direct FM amount is 0 and then I applied modulation between 1 and 2 (so very little) controlled with Touché which allowed me to have a full 5V range from Touché to control this very tiny amount of FM modulation, it's super accurate. Otherwise it was way too noisy. I really dig the sound it gives, in between metallic and organic / vibrant. Very unique and pleasing to my hear.

Side un-related note: it might be a few months now that I didn't touch the "tune knob" of my Ophis and they are still perfectly in tune, that surprises me all the time. We don't need calibration modules with Schippmann VCO :mrgreen:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:44 pm

great thanks for all the info. ive been needing to order more utilities to get the best of my DTG but ill definitely post some things about it

The tuning!! its wildly good. What i notice when i use the Ableton tuner is there is virtually zero wavering of the tuning on the OPhi, its just spot on and stays exactly in one spot... unreal for an analogue vco!!! every other vco ive tried will stay in tune but wavers around +- 2 cents or sometimes more. This is part of why i needed 2 Schippmann vcos for best FM and nothing else matches

i tend to accidentally bump a knob sometimes though when aggressively octave switching my OPhi... so i gotta tune up for that. love that octave switch though

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm

I did the same tuning test with Melda MTuner and same result. You have to see it to believe it!
I also tried with my Soma Lyra-4 and I had a good laugh! It’s dancing! Never steady and widely drifts lol (but that’s fine with this instrument).

Speaking of utility and with DTG in mind I asked Sean from Mazzatron to create a quad gate inverter in 2hp. Basic stuff outputting 5V when no gate at input and 0V when gate is present at the input (1 to 1.5V threshold).
I didn’t find any on the market so I asked him.
A couple of weeks to wait for the design :)
I presume he could also release it as a commercial product like the Poly EG/LFO (I created a dedicated thread for this module).

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:04 am

theres an Intellijel Quad Invert, that should work right? i was thinking about getting one for the DTG
i was also lookin at Intellijel Plog, seems unmatched for compact logic modules
and a couple Frap Tools 333, maybe a 321 also
been trying to decide on utilities for a while and this is my best effort.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”