Schippmann to end Eurorack production

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 am

I take no issues with the designs of the panels/knobs/jacks. They're excellent! The black panels were better looking in my opinion but that's just personal taste and I think it's always a good marketing decision to offer the customer selection options. The VCF1E is really an excellent filer!!! Same goes for Cook, Distortion and Phi II modules in their respective categories recently released!!

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 am

onthebandwagon wrote:Austerlitz was a great book.
True, Rings of Saturn too.

Portabella
Common Wiggler

Post by Portabella » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 am

Insane comments in here!
It's a shame Schippmann is about to drop out.
Carsten, if you're around and read this:

Please reconsider your decision!

You have a quite a following here - of people who're really into synthesis and know what they do.

Schippmann modules look amazing. But okay, beauty lays in the eye of the beholder - always a matter of taste.
And yes, Schippmann modules sound better than other stuff!
You get what you pay for, no exceptions made here.
No discredit to Intellijel at this point but:
Whoever says a Rubicon compares to the sonic quality of the Omega Phi has no clue about sounds, synthesis and music. Period.

Schippmann plays in a league with Cwejman, MacBeth and the likes.
I am sick with people complaining about the prices.
Modules prices are not always the sum of its parts.
Theres developement, design..etc
That being said, build quality of Schippmann modules is truly exceptional.
90% of other Eurorack brands don't come even remotely close.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 am

Schippmann rules, sad to see him leave
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:17 am

:bang:

thanks for the great designs! I have the phaser after a long hunt and will never let it go. :nana:
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

Portabella
Common Wiggler

Post by Portabella » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:14 am

MvK wrote::bang:

thanks for the great designs! I have the phaser after a long hunt and will never let it go. :nana:
Could you upload some sounds/demos of it to SoundCloud?
They must not be musical or anything.. I just want to hear the Schippmann phaser in action. There's nothing really online.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

a couple people have commented on a lack of demos... have you listened to the demos on schippmanns own website? each product has rather lengthy audio demos that for me hit the spot when i was researching before buying

some more would be nice, but at least they are high quality and no reverb

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:26 am

Portabella wrote:

They must not be musical or anything.. I just want to hear the Schippmann phaser in action. There's nothing really online.
not used in the "traditional" phaser sense, there are some patchnotes in the tracks description. The whole recording is a bit bassy :-)

http://soundcloud.com/logic_not/phasers-at-the-ready

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:46 am

MarcelP wrote:
Did it have pictures too? I only looked at the photos really...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 am

I had many more examples on soundcloud but when they changed their pro pricing I just had to get rid of them :)

http://soundcloud.com/peripatitis/sampleandholdphs28

http://soundcloud.com/peripatitis/vdl6amb

http://soundcloud.com/peripatitis/omega ... od-example

http://soundcloud.com/peripatitis/vdlbitch-cln/s-6PXBe

I said it before and I think It is kind of the general consensus, the phaser does not excel in that traditional phaser sound but it is it's own thing. One of the few modules I regret selling.

The vdl/hdl filters I prefer them character-wise from the vcf-02 but they were a pita to control, no 1v/oct and more importantly an frequency encoder moving between 2k and 42k, giving you perhaps a third of that encoder as useful knob tweaking, add to that the absolutely necessary external attenuators, it is not a task for the faint hearted. However they have loads of character.
Last edited by peripatitis on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 am

(This is just me thinking out loud, it is in no means an inditement of his business decisions)

Maybe things would have turned out differently if he had hired a designer to make him a better website... or squarespace.

If you want to sell premium products you should believe in what you are doing and make it premium all the way. Sadly it doesn’t seem like there are that many brilliant engineers who also value aesthetics in the music tech world. Different parts of the brain I guess.

Either way, I’m sad to see him go.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:21 pm

MvK wrote:
Portabella wrote:

not used in the "traditional" phaser sense, there are some patchnotes in the tracks description. The whole recording is a bit bassy :-)

http://soundcloud.com/logic_not/phasers-at-the-ready
cant see soundcloud descriptions on the mobile app(its ridiculous yes)
im assuming you were pinging the phs-28 though?
sounds really good, i dont think its too bassy at all i love that it can retain that bass

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:21 pm

damase wrote: cant see soundcloud descriptions on the mobile app(its ridiculous yes)
im assuming you were pinging the phs-28 though?
sounds really good, i dont think its too bassy at all i love that it can retain that bass
thanks a lot for listening!

I'll just copy the track description:

actual Eurorackpatch + Elektron Octatrack. Liverecording without any edits. pure raw stereo live mix. Its what I do when I play live.

This patch is built around the Excellent Schippmann Phaser Phs28. The bongo is only a trigger sent into the resonating phaser which is "Audiofrequency-modulated". and Cv sequenced. The other channel of the phaser is a short noise Sequence coming from the OT. High resonance, melodic cv with a combination of some Ladik sequencers and expansions s-180 s-183 s-182. I use also all channels of the Cwejman QMMF-4 to finetune some parts and as a sinemodulator for the Schippmann omega phi mk2. This is a work in progress as I'm not happy with some elements. Would like to share that to get some advice and critics about balancing the sounds. I guess the Bd is too loud, but I constantly fall in love with it. Its: Cwejman D-LFO Sine. Frequency Central System X env -> pitch. -> Rabit elephant Natural Gate.
I think one problem of small "boutique" companies might be that the buyers are somewhat intimidated by the products quality that they feel they can't do it justice by putting some raw recordings on the net.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:57 pm

MvK wrote: I think one problem of small "boutique" companies might be that the buyers are somewhat intimidated by the products quality that they feel they can't do it justice by putting some raw recordings on the net.
No the problem is this, once people realise that raw recordings don't sound good, and that to actually make a track it really requires taking it to either a modern DAW with effects or an oldschool desk with tons of outboards, then the original recording is changed drastically making it pretty unrecognisable from the original, once this realisation is made, the starting sound becomes less important to the overall finished article making more expensive stuff kind of, well, i won't say not needed but less important because the artform becomes production rather than synthesis.

So, the more expensive stuff although sounds much better in raw recordings, never really gets to be heard so you might as well start off with either cheaper but still very useable modules or more esoteric sounds like say from Interstellar Radio kind of thing, interesting things to sample.

This doesn't bode well for a guy like Schipmann who's overall range doesn't really cover all the bases, his range doesn't have anything really unique in terms of functionality, like Cwejman has RG6, RES4 and QMMF4 very complicated modules that remain pretty unique because just the design is crazy genius large expensive, but thats the market he knows well, has been in for a long time, also Cwejman has the S1 Mk2 which is seen in so many top producers studios its like a brilliant sales pitch, Schipmann doesn't have this marketing.

Its a shame he's leaving Euro, but, making his product more accessible would have been a key strategy and he's not tried to do that, i even see Ken Macbeth joking in Behringer thread about "Behringer Elements" so its not like ken is having all the Lol's either, its a tough market for small quality makers thats obvious and the bottom is catching up to the top fast now circuits and sonically along with the top getting cheaper all the time, the squeeze comes on those at the very top and very bottom first, he chose the very top and the slicing has happened. Also the boutique quality range has also expanded, ACL Instruo come to mind both offer a wider range of modules that keep withing the design of the original making a synth of just their modules look coherent, not a big deal to me, but to some its a huge selling point. They both have a great websites too Schipmanns looks like some 1999 text site quite frankly.

Theres just a lot of small things he could have done a lot better and in 2019 websites and demos, videos and social media matter.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:59 pm

"...but, making his product more accessible would have been a key strategy and he's not tried to do that..."

True that. But isn't that the struggle of all creative types? Accessibility vs. originality has always been the challenge. You have Schippmann/Cwejman-type synth makers and you have Behringer-type synth makers. I'll spend the extra dough any day to support original work.

If I were to guess, I'd say Schippmann isn't done forever. It's in his blood. He probably just needs a break from the art vs commerce game for a while. Totally understandable, imo.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 pm

22tape wrote:"...but, making his product more accessible would have been a key strategy and he's not tried to do that..."

True that. But isn't that the struggle of all creative types? Accessibility vs. originality has always been the challenge. You have Schippmann/Cwejman-type synth makers and you have Behringer-type synth makers. I'll spend the extra dough any day to support original work.

If I were to guess, I'd say Schippmann isn't done forever. It's in his blood. He probably just needs a break from the art vs commerce game for a while. Totally understandable, imo.
That’s why many artists that make a commercial product often need a business partner, Yves Saint Laurent is a good example of this, it’s possible he would of never of achieved such a high level of success without Pierre Bergé.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:14 am

TemplarK wrote:...This doesn't bode well for a guy like Schipmann who's overall range doesn't really cover all the bases, his range doesn't have anything really unique in terms of functionality, like Cwejman has RG6, RES4 and QMMF4 very complicated modules that remain pretty unique because just the design is crazy genius large expensive, but thats the market he knows well, has been in for a long time, also Cwejman has the S1 Mk2 which is seen in so many top producers studios its like a brilliant sales pitch, Schipmann doesn't have this marketing.
Cwejman broke ground with the S1 Mk2. Let's not forget the S2 (a very nice synth) was a failure in terms of sales and not a worthy successor to the S1 Mk2 personally. At that point Mr. Cwejman turned to modular. But the foundations were there. Schippmann broke ground with the Ebbe Und Flut. That's not comparable as an instrument against the S1 Mk2 but worthy in its classification. If Schippmann were to release a semi-modular instrument similar/exceeding the S1 Mk2 it would most likely be a hit. Then break down those components to individual 'modular' items improving upon/extras/etc. just as Mr. Wowa has....well now we have a sustainable/profitable business plan!

Here's hoping to Schippmann returning even better in 2020!!! :party:

mojopin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mojopin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:51 am

ARGHH! I've had my eye on that distortion module and I guess it's now or never. I have the omega and the phaser. They are both special but understated modules. I would never not use them or sell them especially now.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:40 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
Yeah - the pictures are an integral part of Sebald's books.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:03 pm

MarcelP wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
I agree, was just being sarcastic.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:12 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm

MarcelP wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MarcelP wrote:

I discovered Austerlitz some years ago when I was in some coffee shop very early morning and a customer saw the corner of a book I had in my bag and was able to identify it as The Loser by Thomas Bernhard and recommended Seabald based on that. Probably one of the more interesting conversations I had while sober in the last 10 years.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:51 am

Fyi. I've spoken to Carsten regarding repair and he's assured me he will continue to service modules. I'll certainly be ordering more and have about 9 modules already.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 pm

No the problem is this, once people realise that raw recordings don't sound good, and that to actually make a track it really requires taking it to either a modern DAW with effects or an oldschool desk with tons of outboards
I don't really agree with that, a lot of analog synth sound great just raw, especially polyphonic ones.
And also raw gritty bass/lead sounds.
And schippmann can do both wondefully.
I really feel like I'm degrading the sound when I add FX, except with high quality ones and added in small touches.

I deeply regret that Carsten stops the business because it will prevent new great designs to happen :(
I'll keep my modules for sure, I could never reach such a level of pleasure AND accuracy with any other gear so far. and I have enough of them to explore for decades.

Cartsen works like an artist, he is one and therefore he doesn't care about business. He makes his stuff and delivered them to public that's it. 8-)

Still, I would have more than loved an envelope generator.... :goo:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Jee wrote:a lot of analog synth sound great just raw, especially polyphonic ones.
And also raw gritty bass/lead sounds.
And schippmann can do both wondefully.
I agree with this.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”