Modern groovebox dissatisfaction - Eurorack solution?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1656
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by WaveRider » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am

I love grooveboxes and yes there is not too many new ones. Except the 2 new rolands.... get that if you want a groovebox.

I use SE Engine sequencer as a "groovebox" nowadays, 8 gate/cv and 2 midi outs, dinc sync and midi in... same workflow as any X0X machine, tight sequencer, lots of i/o... you can drive drum machines, TB style synths with sequencers alongside for more tracks. For me this is it.

The modular is another story and I am not sure if it replaces a groovebox, live it is pretty difficult to present many different sounding tracks or patches. The modular performance is still a concept in evolution, some find a way to do it some don't!

For me it's either a laptop or engine with xoxbox and drum machines, and synths. I can do a 20 MIN. performance on the modular but after that I am due for a lot of repatching.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Jaypee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 am

Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:I loved ER 301 but sold it because of latency. Check OD forum, there is a thread on this subject.

For those who want to comment yes 4ms is A LOT for drums.
I was just watching a video by Rick Beato about Jonas Brother’s quantized drum funk song. Maybe I could use such latency to advantage. Is it random or a constant offset?
If everything is 'latenced' nothing is shifted.

Except if your kick and off hi hat are straight on the grid and you use ER 301 for swinging hi hat (delayed hh).

Delay timing is constant and depends on rate sample. Check O|D thread.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 am

Jaypee wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:I loved ER 301 but sold it because of latency. Check OD forum, there is a thread on this subject.

For those who want to comment yes 4ms is A LOT for drums.
I was just watching a video by Rick Beato about Jonas Brother’s quantized drum funk song. Maybe I could use such latency to advantage. Is it random or a constant offset?
If everything is 'latenced' nothing is shifted.

Except if your kick and off hi hat are straight on the grid and you use ER 301 for swinging hi hat (delayed hh).

Delay timing is constant and depends on rate sample. Check O|D thread.
I Googled it, only thing on the internet that comes up is a 30 post thread with only a few authors (one being the yourself) and some people saying they don’t have any issues plus a minor resolution by halving the latency through sampling at 96k which is what I’d want to do anyway. Will continue to decide

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5735
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 am

for most people here is modular a journey.
Its not just like: you walk in the shop, buy, go home, got it just right,......patch, happy camper, donne.

Its a good idea to have such things like grooveboxes, ....*then* start a modular.
They can complement each other really well.

To me its anyway the "surrounding environment modules" that make the "nice core modules" shine.
And to find ones setup.......again: takes time.
If you start, probably keep that in mind
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

User avatar
CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by CaneMan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 am

Hmmm... Since you have a Matriarch, I assume you've already started to dig into creative patching.

Are you going with Nerdseq because OMG-powerful or because you like tracker style sequencers? What's the thing that most excites you about Eurorack? Is it sample manging? Sound design? Creative beat sequencing? Pick one direction and walk it for a module or two.

(I do agree that the ER-301 looks better if you're working with sounds that don't have hard transients and tight timing. From the OD site.)

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am

Funky40 wrote:for most people here is modular a journey.
Its not just like: you walk in the shop, buy, go home, got it just right,......patch, happy camper, donne.

Its a good idea to have such things like grooveboxes, ....*then* start a modular.
They can complement each other really well.

To me its anyway the "surrounding environment modules" that make the "nice core modules" shine.
And to find ones setup.......again: takes time.
If you start, probably keep that in mind
Thanks.. I just sent the MC-707 back... I just can't support the build quality at that price in 2019 when its direct competitors are the OT / Deluge. What I'm going to do is use what I have and continue pushing on with my computer and Addictive Drummer 2 / basic sampling.

Essentially I'll be banking on NAMM to have a groovebox release. My dream is for Novation to release a Circuit 2.0, all metal, same form factor as the Peak but a nicer screen. Would be amazing.

Once I find a groovebox I like I will then begin my modular journey, or, if nothing comes to me, I will begin it anyway. I preordered the Voltage Research Lab full kit but canceled it, I figured if I'm gonna get that I might as well just buy a Eurorack case and buy the module instead. I don't know how much I'd use that multidimensional keyboard on that specific module but it's available on its own should I want it.

CaneMan wrote:Hmmm... Since you have a Matriarch, I assume you've already started to dig into creative patching.

Are you going with Nerdseq because OMG-powerful or because you like tracker style sequencers? What's the thing that most excites you about Eurorack? Is it sample manging? Sound design? Creative beat sequencing? Pick one direction and walk it for a module or two.

(I do agree that the ER-301 looks better if you're working with sounds that don't have hard transients and tight timing. From the OD site.)
I'm a melodic person. I don't really listen to experimental electronic music, and barely listen to electronic music in general but I love to make it for some reason. My go to right now includes Com Truise, Daft Punk, Tangerine Dream, and sometimes Flying Lotus. Other than that I listen to rock and classic rock, however I use my rock influences often when making electronic music. I try and have a blank slate each time I start a song. I don't make a single genre, sometimes I'll try my hand at techno, sometimes funk, sometimes hip hop, trance, etc... anything I can think of.

And the main reasoning behind that is I try and let the hardware I have take me where it wants, whereas with my computer / programming in a DAW I am a bit more deliberate when I feel a path arise.

I'm drawn to the Nerdseq due to a logical, visible layout that would allow me to create finished tracks and save them. I'm not into jamming or experimentation as my final desire, I have and always will, enjoy creating finished, mastered tracks. The Nerdseq provides powerful flexibility and also convenient visible layouts. The ER-101 is a bit more immediate, less tedious, but a bit lacking in the sort of "song setups" or in groovebox terms, song mode that I desire in a sequencer. I'm most accustomed to a DAW and feel it would be a smooth transition to the NS.



As previously stated, if I had the 301, I would have another module, namely a groovebox or the 1010 Bitbox solely for drums and one shots. When I think of getting the ER-301, weird vocal formants, glitched organic sounds and analog (Matriarch samples), Shpongle essentially... comes to mind, not drums.

I don't care for the glitchy beat sequences, I actually like organic drums and drums / percussion moreso than almost any electronic drums I've heard (but I was in an orchestra for years, it's just how I grew up). I do however like Buchla-esque sequences, which is why I'm drawn to the Voltage Research Lab. Second, the sample mangling. I don't care for the OT workflow, I want to see what Eurorack has to offer in my workflow for sampling.

I want to explore unique timbres and create identifiable sounds that are unique to me.


Maybe I should just buy the Intellijel 7U case while it's on sale :hihi: then take my time and determine my first module... Again, I have a Matriarch, I'd love to sample it and mangle it even further. That is the direction I want. Otherwise, I'd be picking up a sequencer and a complex oscillator or the Voltage Research Lab module by itself at first.


Sorry for the long rambling. Another major factor in Eurorack to me is INNOVATION and supporting the little guy! Lots of smart people are doing cool stuff in Euro. For instance, the new Polygogo Oscillator may let us hear timbres unfamiliar to our ears thus far and I think that's really cool.

Cheers

User avatar
Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: No
Contact:

Post by Mr. Pete » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm

b9 has your answer in their AVATAR

DR-770 is a BOSS unit - no joke :nana:
sir stony wrote:The way I see it, there simply is not a single modular sequencer that offers the immediate, rythm-orientated handling like some of the more popular grooveboxes do. I'd second that, right now, the market has very little on offer like it was in the heyday of grooveboxes. Then again, old grooveboxes have played out their best sounds, it's all been out somewhere at one time or another, and I see we're not eager to retrace the sonic steps of a generation past. But the imho best combination is to get an old groovebox that offers a handling you really like, add a useful MIDI2CV interface to your modular and get sounds from there to beef it up.
In your case, seeing you like sampling, I suggest you look at a used electribe sx, there are thousands of those around, and it is a breeze to work with.
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Jaypee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:I loved ER 301 but sold it because of latency. Check OD forum, there is a thread on this subject.

For those who want to comment yes 4ms is A LOT for drums.
I was just watching a video by Rick Beato about Jonas Brother’s quantized drum funk song. Maybe I could use such latency to advantage. Is it random or a constant offset?
If everything is 'latenced' nothing is shifted.

Except if your kick and off hi hat are straight on the grid and you use ER 301 for swinging hi hat (delayed hh).

Delay timing is constant and depends on rate sample. Check O|D thread.
I Googled it, only thing on the internet that comes up is a 30 post thread with only a few authors (one being the yourself) and some people saying they don’t have any issues plus a minor resolution by halving the latency through sampling at 96k which is what I’d want to do anyway. Will continue to decide
-First, OD is a very small community.
-Second, not all users post on this board.
-Third, most of users don't use ER 301 as a drum sampler.

etc etc so that explains that you won't find lot of messages on this specific problem on this specific module on this specific board.

I just wanted to warn you, if you want to use er 301 as a drum sampler, you'll have latency.
4ms is still way too much for me (and other users like you saw).

But, don't trust me, do your own experience, and report it :)

ER 301 is still a fantastic module I regret selling, but at that moment, I needed a drum sampler.

Good luck!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Jaypee wrote:I loved ER 301 but sold it because of latency. Check OD forum, there is a thread on this subject.

For those who want to comment yes 4ms is A LOT for drums.
I was just watching a video by Rick Beato about Jonas Brother’s quantized drum funk song. Maybe I could use such latency to advantage. Is it random or a constant offset?
If everything is 'latenced' nothing is shifted.

Except if your kick and off hi hat are straight on the grid and you use ER 301 for swinging hi hat (delayed hh).

Delay timing is constant and depends on rate sample. Check O|D thread.
I Googled it, only thing on the internet that comes up is a 30 post thread with only a few authors (one being the yourself) and some people saying they don’t have any issues plus a minor resolution by halving the latency through sampling at 96k which is what I’d want to do anyway. Will continue to decide
-First, OD is a very small community.
-Second, not all users post on this board.
-Third, most of users don't use ER 301 as a drum sampler.

etc etc so that explains that you won't find lot of messages on this specific problem on this specific module on this specific board.

I just wanted to warn you, if you want to use er 301 as a drum sampler, you'll have latency.
4ms is still way too much for me (and other users like you saw).

But, don't trust me, do your own experience, and report it :)

ER 301 is still a fantastic module I regret selling, but at that moment, I needed a drum sampler.

Good luck!

Thanks for the experiences. It seems like something I'd need to try for myself like a lot of things in Euro. I didn't intend to get it as a drum computer but a sample mangler for my other synths (and have a groovebox or drum module along side of it, but as I said, not too keen on Euro drums).

From what I can tell the market has low demand for them overall but if I were to get one, once it sold if I decided to sell it, there isn't much risk and they hold value.

If you were to couple one (or two) other module(s) with the 301 to begin properly synced sample mangling and experimentation, would it be a sequencer?

If not either the 301 + anything else, would you recommend a complex oscillator by itself as a first go? Voltage Research Lab? Verbos? Instruo? etc...

It seems as though my original intent to start a Eurorack only groove box has been squashed and I'll just have to keep my eye out for the perfect standalone groovebox...

Just looking for those sweet spices to add to my relatively normal setup (FPGA poly synth + analog paraphonic and all my VSTs...)

User avatar
CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by CaneMan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Divinital wrote:
CaneMan wrote:Hmmm... Since you have a Matriarch, I assume you've already started to dig into creative patching.

Are you going with Nerdseq because OMG-powerful or because you like tracker style sequencers? What's the thing that most excites you about Eurorack? Is it sample manging? Sound design? Creative beat sequencing? Pick one direction and walk it for a module or two.

(I do agree that the ER-301 looks better if you're working with sounds that don't have hard transients and tight timing. From the OD site.)
I'm a melodic person. I don't really listen to experimental electronic music, and barely listen to electronic music in general but I love to make it for some reason. My go to right now includes Com Truise, Daft Punk, Tangerine Dream, and sometimes Flying Lotus. Other than that I listen to rock and classic rock, however I use my rock influences often when making electronic music. I try and have a blank slate each time I start a song. I don't make a single genre, sometimes I'll try my hand at techno, sometimes funk, sometimes hip hop, trance, etc... anything I can think of.

And the main reasoning behind that is I try and let the hardware I have take me where it wants, whereas with my computer / programming in a DAW I am a bit more deliberate when I feel a path arise.

I'm drawn to the Nerdseq due to a logical, visible layout that would allow me to create finished tracks and save them. I'm not into jamming or experimentation as my final desire, I have and always will, enjoy creating finished, mastered tracks. The Nerdseq provides powerful flexibility and also convenient visible layouts. The ER-101 is a bit more immediate, less tedious, but a bit lacking in the sort of "song setups" or in groovebox terms, song mode that I desire in a sequencer. I'm most accustomed to a DAW and feel it would be a smooth transition to the NS.



As previously stated, if I had the 301, I would have another module, namely a groovebox or the 1010 Bitbox solely for drums and one shots. When I think of getting the ER-301, weird vocal formants, glitched organic sounds and analog (Matriarch samples), Shpongle essentially... comes to mind, not drums.

I don't care for the glitchy beat sequences, I actually like organic drums and drums / percussion moreso than almost any electronic drums I've heard (but I was in an orchestra for years, it's just how I grew up). I do however like Buchla-esque sequences, which is why I'm drawn to the Voltage Research Lab. Second, the sample mangling. I don't care for the OT workflow, I want to see what Eurorack has to offer in my workflow for sampling.

I want to explore unique timbres and create identifiable sounds that are unique to me.
That makes sense. Sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to go. With the modules you've listed so far, you're going to end up wanting a lot of modulation, mixing, and other utilities. If you don't end up buying a Voltage Research Lab (or any other vendor designed systems), it's still a good source of inspiration for choosing support modules.

Happy hunting.

User avatar
b9
Common Wiggler
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 am
Location: TX/RX

Post by b9 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Mr. Pete wrote:b9 has your answer in their AVATAR

DR-770 is a BOSS unit - no joke :nana:
sir stony wrote:The way I see it, there simply is not a single modular sequencer that offers the immediate, rythm-orientated handling like some of the more popular grooveboxes do. I'd second that, right now, the market has very little on offer like it was in the heyday of grooveboxes. Then again, old grooveboxes have played out their best sounds, it's all been out somewhere at one time or another, and I see we're not eager to retrace the sonic steps of a generation past. But the imho best combination is to get an old groovebox that offers a handling you really like, add a useful MIDI2CV interface to your modular and get sounds from there to beef it up.
In your case, seeing you like sampling, I suggest you look at a used electribe sx, there are thousands of those around, and it is a breeze to work with.
I have dr 770. It's one of the GOAT drum machine/sequencers imo. I bought an original MN SS cause I thought I wanted to do things one way, now I'm going in a completely different direction. Jump into some modules, any modules, and let them show you the way. Your path shall be revealed... :zen:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm

b9 wrote:
Mr. Pete wrote:b9 has your answer in their AVATAR

DR-770 is a BOSS unit - no joke :nana:
sir stony wrote:The way I see it, there simply is not a single modular sequencer that offers the immediate, rythm-orientated handling like some of the more popular grooveboxes do. I'd second that, right now, the market has very little on offer like it was in the heyday of grooveboxes. Then again, old grooveboxes have played out their best sounds, it's all been out somewhere at one time or another, and I see we're not eager to retrace the sonic steps of a generation past. But the imho best combination is to get an old groovebox that offers a handling you really like, add a useful MIDI2CV interface to your modular and get sounds from there to beef it up.
In your case, seeing you like sampling, I suggest you look at a used electribe sx, there are thousands of those around, and it is a breeze to work with.
I have dr 770. It's one of the GOAT drum machine/sequencers imo. I bought an original MN SS cause I thought I wanted to do things one way, now I'm going in a completely different direction. Jump into some modules, any modules, and let them show you the way. Your path shall be revealed... :zen:
Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow didn't see the earlier comment.

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5735
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 pm

tl;dr:
my tip: look ate the "Rabid elephant" "Natural Gate".
start there !
( be aware that you have to preoorder and it might take months .......?........)
keyword: "organic drums"



Divinital wrote:Once I find a groovebox I like I will then begin my modular journey, or, if nothing comes to me, I will begin it anyway
Divinital wrote: I don't really listen to experimental electronic music, and barely listen to electronic music in general but I love to make it for some reason.
Divinital wrote:
I don't care for the glitchy beat sequences, I actually like organic drums and drums / percussion moreso than almost any electronic drums I've heard (but I was in an orchestra for years, it's just how I grew up).
Divinital wrote: I do however like Buchla-esque sequences,
Divinital wrote: I want to explore unique timbres and create identifiable sounds that are unique to me.
Divinital wrote: I don't care for the OT workflow, I want to see what Eurorack has to offer in my workflow for sampling.
Divinital wrote: Maybe I should just buy the Intellijel 7U case while it's on sale :hihi: then take my time and determine my first module.
interesting.
There seems to be much overlap with me and where i´m coming from and you.
I suspect that i understand you, respectivly your inner "feel" to say it so.

i think in your situation ( not having the heart tied to electronic music) could money be a bigger concern than it "today" has to be for poeple who would be happy with any type of noise. ;)
I, in your place would make it at first very clear,-for yourself-, how much you can spend respectivly how much you want to spend ?
initially, and then per year ? ......over the first three years.

my tip for you would be: ( see quotes above in bold).
look at the "Natural Gate" from "Rabid Elephant". These are hard to get.
Go to his page, preorder one. when tehy ship, start your journey.
Add a complex "digital VCO" to it. A Wavetable VCO.
Synthtech E370 (quad VCO), Synthtech E352 (the same, but single, with a pseudo second vco), IDE (?)/old name: the harvestman: Piston honda mkIII.
In your case i´d probably take a Piston Honda mkIII ( i use a E370).
They all can load wavetables. you can draw your own ones with the waveedit.app.

now you have electronic percussions with that very organic touch, that even can feel like organic drums !
add the necessary "little helpers" aroudn it.
look at the happy nerding 3xMIA ( my recommendation to anybody )

personally i sequenze the modulatr now from the digitakt.
i use a FH-2 ( midi2CV) + expanders.
would also be my tip........and oyu have also a fantastic Drum/groovebox with the DT !
while i share your feel vs. the mono limitation !......nevertheless: its a perfect match vs. modular, also on the audio side.


start somewhere around this ( Buchla Bongos). Don´t replace the Natural gate for something else cause some dude thought to tell you that this or that would do the trick also. I Disagree ! haha
The VCO is debattable ;) i´d take the Pistonhonda mkIII over the synthtech E352, while the E370 is not what i´d recommend for starters.
But there are other options too ( wavetable VCOs work best/easyest to get good percussions, and these 3 all have also TZ-FM and PM iirc = a huge range of timbres to have)


make percussion, sample them ! load into a sampler !
Regardless if hardware, modular, ITB
(thats what i do, in fact)
all these three platforms can add to each other........


edit: then walk up your path from there.
with a initial setup around a natural gate can you start quite affordable........
i persoanlly sample then "such grooves" into a nebulae2 sampler, which fullfills then the other side of those things ;) . perfect match !
perfect suplement to other platforms
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Funky40 wrote:tl;dr:
my tip: look ate the "Rabid elephant" "Natural Gate".
start there !
( be aware that you have to preoorder and it might take months .......?........)
keyword: "organic drums"



Divinital wrote:Once I find a groovebox I like I will then begin my modular journey, or, if nothing comes to me, I will begin it anyway
Divinital wrote: I don't really listen to experimental electronic music, and barely listen to electronic music in general but I love to make it for some reason.
Divinital wrote:
I don't care for the glitchy beat sequences, I actually like organic drums and drums / percussion moreso than almost any electronic drums I've heard (but I was in an orchestra for years, it's just how I grew up).
Divinital wrote: I do however like Buchla-esque sequences,
Divinital wrote: I want to explore unique timbres and create identifiable sounds that are unique to me.
Divinital wrote: I don't care for the OT workflow, I want to see what Eurorack has to offer in my workflow for sampling.
Divinital wrote: Maybe I should just buy the Intellijel 7U case while it's on sale :hihi: then take my time and determine my first module.
interesting.
There seems to be much overlap with me and where i´m coming from and you.
I suspect that i understand you, respectivly your inner "feel" to say it so.

i think in your situation ( not having the heart tied to electronic music) could money be a bigger concern than it "today" has to be for poeple who would be happy with any type of noise. ;)
I, in your place would make it at first very clear,-for yourself-, how much you can spend respectivly how much you want to spend ?
initially, and then per year ? ......over the first three years.

my tip for you would be: ( see quotes above in bold).
look at the "Natural Gate" from "Rabid Elephant". These are hard to get.
Go to his page, preorder one. when tehy ship, start your journey.
Add a complex "digital VCO" to it. A Wavetable VCO.
Synthtech E370 (quad VCO), Synthtech E352 (the same, but single, with a pseudo second vco), IDE (?)/old name: the harvestman: Piston honda mkIII.
In your case i´d probably take a Piston Honda mkIII ( i use a E370).
They all can load wavetables. you can draw your own ones with the waveedit.app.

now you have electronic percussions with that very organic touch, that even can feel like organic drums !
add the necessary "little helpers" aroudn it.
look at the happy nerding 3xMIA ( my recommendation to anybody )

personally i sequenze the modulatr now from the digitakt.
i use a FH-2 ( midi2CV) + expanders.
would also be my tip........and oyu have also a fantastic Drum/groovebox with the DT !
while i share your feel vs. the mono limitation !......nevertheless: its a perfect match vs. modular, also on the audio side.


start somewhere around this ( Buchla Bongos). Don´t replace the Natural gate for something else cause some dude thought to tell you that this or that would do the trick also. I Disagree ! haha
The VCO is debattable ;) i´d take the Pistonhonda mkIII over the synthtech E352, while the E370 is not what i´d recommend for starters.
But there are other options too ( wavetable VCOs work best/easyest to get good percussions, and these 3 all have also TZ-FM and PM iirc = a huge range of timbres to have)


make percussion, sample them ! load into a sampler !
Regardless if hardware, modular, ITB
(thats what i do, in fact)
all these three platforms can add to each other........


edit: then walk up your path from there.
with a initial setup around a natural gate can you start quite affordable........
i persoanlly sample then "such grooves" into a nebulae2 sampler, which fullfills then the other side of those things ;) . perfect match !
perfect suplement to other platforms
Thanks for the info. The second demo on the Natural Gate sounds absolutely bonkers to me, very hi-fi and clear, that's something I'd really like to be able to pull off.

Interesting stuff! I'll get to it... First and foremost is to order my Eurorack case... Ironically enough I was just looking at Digitakts! I had one but ended up selling it due to not being able to sample stereo however, looking back, I lost a lot of utility in my setup when I sold it and it kind of put me back ITB for a while.



Just contacted Rabid Elephant about a preorder... They said I JUST missed the window... however, they might be able to get me in :) We'll see! If I preorder it luckily I'll have about 6 months to save up for my Intellijel 7U case and an oscillator, be it a wavetable you recommended or something like the PM Voltage Research..

stickman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 am

Post by stickman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm loving force + five12 + digitakt

I had anticipated to get rid of the latter, conditional trigs are too useful though and it's so quick to set up interesting patterns

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:49 pm

stickman wrote:I'm loving force + five12 + digitakt

I had anticipated to get rid of the latter, conditional trigs are too useful though and it's so quick to set up interesting patterns
How's the build quality of the Force? I'm about to pull the trigger on an MPC X and have never owned an Akai / MPC product, I want it to last.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”