Behringer Go eurorack case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer Go eurorack case

Post by Divinital_ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:23 am

msboude wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:19 am
minatorymodular wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:13 pm
Power supplies aren't cheap, though. A power supply + brick + bus board is already 200 or more on their own.

That is why you need a company like Behringer to come in and show the world how cheap power supplies really are to make.. and to make and sell them cheaply.. lol

You would think they could get the power supply down to $75 and stamp out a few tin cans for the case.. why such a high price? Lol.
Have you ever watched Breaking Bad?

First, control the market, then, raise the price.

(This is 99% a joke so relax, all of you angrily typing at me. Even if B runs everyone out of business, they would never hike their prices unreasonably, though time will tell)

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 pm

will never get why people think sliding nuts are so difficult to use. get a magnetized allen wrench set from home depot or harbor freight even, and the nuts are a piece of cake to position. i've had many more problems with threaded strips not lining up properly, stripped threads, etc. the idea of the nuts being a dealbreaker is really weird to me, and also don't get how some of you think $300 for a case like this is somehow expensive.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Diabolik! wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 pm
and also don't get how some of you think $300 for a case like this is somehow expensive.
I'm in manufacturing. I know exactly how much it costs to make things. Believe me when I say that skiffs and racks are hugely overpriced.
Thin-gauge steel or aluminum that doesn't require heavier machinery. Finishes that don't require examination or hand contact. No heat-treating or structural processes. No welding, usually.

Just stamped, folded, molded, or extruded parts paired with easy PCBs.
I can buy a nice kitchen tap for $75, which has far more processes, each one that requires more QC and care.

The difference is volume. For now, and probably forever, modular synthesis is a boutique market...with boutique prices. Having said that, I'd rather spend $300 on new tools and make my own cases.
----------------------

Flounderguts

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 pm
For now, and probably forever, modular synthesis is a boutique market...with boutique prices. Having said that, I'd rather spend $300 on new tools and make my own cases.
This very thought came to mind as i was looking at the price of "monster" cases. For the price of a few of these "monsters" one could furnish themselves with the tools and materials to manufacture them in quantity.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 pm

manufacture them in quantity.
What's your definition of quantity?

Yes, you could probably get a worn out box brake and some hand tools for $300. Given some messing around, you could probably turn out 4 or 5 a week. And at $300 retail, that's almost worth it for a retiree.

The next step would be a good box brake (perhaps electromagnetic) and a CNC router. Call it $15k. With equipment like this, you could probably turn out 40 or 50 (working your a$$ into the ground). If you could sell 50 a week at $150, you would break even on capital and COGs at around 4 months, and it would be a tidy living at the 10 month mark.

Given that you probably don't want to invest in a CNC punch press, a hydraulic press brake, and the tooling to go with it (not to mention a lease on a building with at least 480V 3 phase), then the next option (really the first option) is to get someone with that equipment to do it for you. I'm guessing (not really) it would be around $41 a skiff, packaged...at a MOQ of 1000 pcs. At 10000 pcs, it could come in around $29. The *rent* on your lease is probably $15k a month, not to mention salaries for all those guys and gals to run your fancy equipment. A million dollars doesn't go very far.

Now, if you're Behringer, and you HAVE the machines, then tooling will probably set you back about $60k. After that, COGs is probably under $11. I'll bet packaging costs them as much as the product, for a skiff.

The *real* problem is another thing entirely...selling them skiffs to sparkly-eyed modular enthusiasts. If you're a builder-engineer-type (like me) then you suck at advertising, marketing, selling, collecting bills, and accounting. Imagine you DID turn out 4 a week...how are y'all gonna sell 208 skiffs a year, son? Reverb? eBay?

That's not to say there aren't opportunities...it just depends on your scale. And your budget.

I don't even think B are making skiffs for the money. It's simply a smart loss-leader for image and product enhancement. And frankly, that is the best argument for making enclosures at all. I think Intellijel took the most Intellijellint approach, and let their enclosures spawn an entirely new market. I'm also watching the janky-smart moves of Erica Synths...

And while those guys are making awesome tiny homes, the big B is churning out beigeville homes for the rank and file, and their shadow looms large.

Sorry, this went a bit off-track. You can tell I'm bored by the increasingly-long novels I am typing on Muffs... :help:
----------------------

Flounderguts

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Yes, you could probably get a worn out box brake and some hand tools for $300. Given some messing around, you could probably turn out 4 or 5 a week. And at $300 retail, that's almost worth it for a retiree.

The next step would be a good box brake (perhaps electromagnetic) and a CNC router. Call it $15k. With equipment like this, you could probably turn out 40 or 50 (working your a$$ into the ground). If you could sell 50 a week at $150, you would break even on capital and COGs at around 4 months, and it would be a tidy living at the 10 month mark.

Given that you probably don't want to invest in a CNC punch press, a hydraulic press brake, and the tooling to go with it (not to mention a lease on a building with at least 480V 3 phase), then the next option (really the first option) is to get someone with that equipment to do it for you. I'm guessing (not really) it would be around $41 a skiff, packaged...at a MOQ of 1000 pcs. At 10000 pcs, it could come in around $29.

Now, if you're Behringer, and you HAVE the machines, then tooling will probably set you back about $60k. After that, COGs is probably under $11. I'll bet packaging costs them as much as the product, for a skiff.

The *real* problem is another thing entirely...selling them skiffs to sparkly-eyed modular enthusiasts. If you're a builder-engineer-type (like me) then you suck at advertising, marketing, selling, collecting bills, and accounting. Imagine you DID turn out 4 a week...how are y'all gonna sell 208 skiffs a year, son? Reverb? eBay?

That's not to say there aren't opportunities...it just depends on your scale. And your budget.

I don't even think B are making skiffs for the money. It's simply a smart loss-leader for image and product enhancement. And frankly, that is the best argument for making enclosures at all. I think Intellijel took the most Intellijellint approach, and let their enclosures spawn an entirely new market. I'm also watching the janky-smart moves of Erica Synths...

And while those guys are making awesome tiny homes, the big B is churning out beigeville homes for the rank and file, and their shadow looms large.

Sorry, this went a bit off-track. You can tell I'm bored by the increasingly-long novels I am typing on Muffs... :help:
----------------------

Flounderguts

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 am

Diabolik! wrote:
will never get why people think sliding nuts are so difficult to use. get a magnetized allen wrench set from home depot or harbor freight even, and the nuts are a piece of cake to position.
Of course, it depends on how big your modules are and how often you rearrange them. For me, it's not about positioning in first place (well, in second place), it's about lack of flexibility.

The Behringer Eurorack Go with 2x140hp has a total of 96 sliding nuts, that's 24 nuts per rail. It has 32 power connectors, so 16 per row. So you could power 16 modules per row with an average module width of 8.75hp, that's not absurd. With 16 modules and 24 nuts per rail you have few to none spare nuts left: My 8hp modules and smaller need one screw, but 10hp and up need two screws per rail. Now let's say you want to add a pair of 2hp passive mults later on, that makes you sit down and re-mount half of your rack modules, repositioning every sliding nut.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59 am

Diabolik! wrote:
will never get why people think sliding nuts are so difficult to use. get a magnetized allen wrench set from home depot or harbor freight even, and the nuts are a piece of cake to position. i've had many more problems with threaded strips not lining up properly, stripped threads, etc. the idea of the nuts being a dealbreaker is really weird to me
If you never rearrange your modules then sliding nuts are tolerable, though still a pain.
Moving modules around however is a nightmare. You take a module out and want to put 2 in its place - at which point you often find there are no nuts in the correct position. So you end up having to take everything out.
For a while I had 2 cases, one threaded, one sliding, and it became clear that work on the sliding nut case always took considerably longer than on the threaded one. I sold the case with sliding nuts and have never looked back.
Finally, I've had a number of cases with threaded nuts and have never had a problem with them not lining up.

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:41 am

windchill wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59 am
If you never rearrange your modules then sliding nuts are tolerable, though still a pain.
Moving modules around however is a nightmare. You take a module out and want to put 2 in its place - at which point you often find there are no nuts in the correct position. So you end up having to take everything out.
For a while I had 2 cases, one threaded, one sliding, and it became clear that work on the sliding nut case always took considerably longer than on the threaded one. I sold the case with sliding nuts and have never looked back.
Finally, I've had a number of cases with threaded nuts and have never had a problem with them not lining up.
Ditto...I have a Mantis which has rails and it is very easy to move things around. I don't have any problems with it. Sliding nuts I avoid as they are too much work and hassle. I'd rather pay a little more for proper rails, and in the end it ends up being much easier.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am

not sure if the specs are correct. However 1A for the -12 are not a lot....
+12 V bei 3 A, -12 V bei 1 A und +5 V bei 1 A

only a WMD Performance Mixer takes: Power: +12V = 450mA; -12V = 430mA

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Flounderguts wrote:

Given that you probably don't want to invest in a CNC punch press, a hydraulic press brake, and the tooling to go with it (not to mention a lease on a building with at least 480V 3 phase), then the next option (really the first option) is to get someone with that equipment to do it for you. I'm guessing (not really) it would be around $41 a skiff, packaged...at a MOQ of 1000 pcs. At 10000 pcs, it could come in around $29. The *rent* on your lease is probably $15k a month, not to mention salaries for all those guys and gals to run your fancy equipment. A million dollars doesn't go very far.

No worries Flounderguts, we're all a little off-track in this crazy coronavirus world! :party:

My point is, you could tool up with a very nice table saw, joiner, clamps, etc, some choice plywood, and build yourself a monster case, and still have the tooling to make as many more as you like. It's not a career choice i would make, but let's be honest - a case is nothing but a glorified box with some rails and a few leccy bits, not something one has to be a master cabinetmaker or machinist to do a good job at.

As we used to say way back when, a case is a "straight stick" - as opposed to a "curved stick" which requires fancy tools and skillset to build :hihi:

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 pm

I like the straight stick/curved stick thing. Ima use it.

We have a saying about some or our guys being "red box, blue box" guys. That is, ask them to put the red boxes on the right and the blue boxes on the left, and they work like a demon and do an amazing job. Ask them to stack the red and blue boxes in alternating rows, and they'll fuck it up every time.

Straight stick, curved stick.

After posting that (or double-posting, it looks like) I realized how easy it would be to build my own electromagnetic box brake. As soon as I get my post-earthquake shop fixed, that's my next project!

I can't actually find a Eurorack Go case for sale. Who has them in stock?
----------------------

Flounderguts

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:06 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 pm
After posting that (or double-posting, it looks like) I realized how easy it would be to build my own electromagnetic box brake. As soon as I get my post-earthquake shop fixed, that's my next project!
Much easier now that the patents are expired and people are sharing all the details:
http://www.aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magn ... epage.html
Have mill? Then the only challenge is getting the chunks of metal to your preferred balance of harness/toughness.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:39 am

Mungo wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:06 am
Flounderguts wrote:
Much easier now that the patents are expired and people are sharing all the details:
http://www.aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magn ... epage.html
Have mill? Then the only challenge is getting the chunks of metal to your preferred balance of harness/toughness.
Would that really be worthwhile? There are consumer-grade 4' box brakes out there for less than a grand - they probably won't be able to do 16 ga steel at full width, but aluminum shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

FWIW, i worked in a shop years ago where we had an 8' servoelectric leaf brake with programmable leaf & backstop. We made beautiful copper flashing & gutter with it for about 2 months before a "red box, blue box" guy tried making a long c-channel from 16 ga stainless... it bowed and was never right again :mad:

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Diabolik! wrote:
will never get why people think sliding nuts are so difficult to use. get a magnetized allen wrench set from home depot or harbor freight even, and the nuts are a piece of cake to position. i've had many more problems with threaded strips not lining up properly, stripped threads, etc. the idea of the nuts being a dealbreaker is really weird to me, and also don't get how some of you think $300 for a case like this is somehow expensive.
I started out with sliding nuts thinking that there'd be less chance of stripping threads. Then I bought a Mantis with it's threaded strips, and I'll never go back to sliding nuts, I've converted most of my other racks to threaded strips.

Here's the thing, I rearrange my cases often, sometimes for every patch, and now I *never* have to wrangle nuts into position. I'd been using a dental tool to slide the nuts into position and it was always a hassle. Plus, I've yet to strip any threads in the Mantis, and I've been working this way for awhile now. I got interested in the Behringer GO when it was announced they'd be converting to threaded strips, as I'd like to have another case and I like the 140HP width. I wish it was cheaper than $300 but I'd pay $300 for it with strips, which is essentially the same price as the Mantis but with 72 more HP. But without strips, I'd want to convert it, and the extra cost of buying strips for 140HP given I've got no quantity discount on them would increase the price to the extent I'll probably get another Mantis instead.

With regards to strips not lining up properly, at least on the Mantis you can shift them slightly into position if necessary and you should check and do that before putting in your first module so they are all positioned the same. That happens *once*, not every time you move modules around unless you empty it completely and bounce it around enough for the strips to get out of alignment with each other. Once that's set, everything has lined up just fine.
--

Sync

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
I can't actually find a Eurorack Go case for sale. Who has them in stock?
Last word is they're not due out until mid-year.
--

Sync

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Would that really be worthwhile? There are consumer-grade 4' box brakes out there for less than a grand - they probably won't be able to do 16 ga steel at full width, but aluminum shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

FWIW, i worked in a shop years ago where we had an 8' servoelectric leaf brake with programmable leaf & backstop. We made beautiful copper flashing & gutter with it for about 2 months before a "red box, blue box" guy tried making a long c-channel from 16 ga stainless... it bowed and was never right again :mad:
I don't have space or need for a 48" box brake. 24" would be max, but I like the idea of using pipe and odd-shaped bits for fingers. There were a few lots of 24" Grizzly finger brakes on the local Public Surplus auction a few months ago, but they went for silly money. Besides, I like building stuff, because then I can fix it when I break it. If you break your cast iron mini brake, repairs are a drag. If I build it out of steel and epoxy, I think it will work better.
----------------------

Flounderguts

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 am

This is.. Probably the best post I've ever read on a behringer thread ;)
Flounderguts wrote:

tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, 4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Perfect Circuit just sent out a notification they've got them in stock. Problem is, they didn't follow through with the threaded strips. At least, now we know for sure about that. I'll be ordering another Mantis, sliding nuts are a show stopper for me at this point. If you like sliding nuts, have at it...
--

Sync

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am

so i just got my behringer go case

feels sturdy, lightweight, thinner plastic than mantis and overall lighter. the back stand is some kind of aluminium / metal wich feels great and a lot better than the mantis plastic stand (even though only one upright pose as opposed to mantis)

sadly as the mantis, the power cord from the psu is pretty short, wich always annoyed me. but well that's my only complaint.

but i will surely order threaded stripes or make them myself and put them into the rails. not because i don't like sliding nuts, they are ok i guess but i think there are way too less nuts inside. if you plan to use a lot of small passive multiples for example, your gonna have a baaaad time ;-P

i hope the standard threaded strips will fit, the sliding nuts dimensions are:

5,45mm x 5,45mm x 2,2mm

do you think threaded strips will fit? i think so..... haven't measured the rails yet as i couldn't wait to fill the rack up ;-P
will report again once i tested it a few hours.

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

I can't tell from the stock photos - is it designed to be taken apart so nuts can be added or replace with strips?

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Wed May 20, 2020 2:07 pm

i don't know if its designed that way but its possible

Don Cajon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Don Cajon » Sat May 23, 2020 6:11 am

Dennis wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am
so i just got my behringer go case

feels sturdy, lightweight, thinner plastic than mantis and overall lighter. the back stand is some kind of aluminium / metal wich feels great and a lot better than the mantis plastic stand (even though only one upright pose as opposed to mantis)

sadly as the mantis, the power cord from the psu is pretty short, wich always annoyed me. but well that's my only complaint.

but i will surely order threaded stripes or make them myself and put them into the rails. not because i don't like sliding nuts, they are ok i guess but i think there are way too less nuts inside. if you plan to use a lot of small passive multiples for example, your gonna have a baaaad time ;-P

i hope the standard threaded strips will fit, the sliding nuts dimensions are:

5,45mm x 5,45mm x 2,2mm

do you think threaded strips will fit? i think so..... haven't measured the rails yet as i couldn't wait to fill the rack up ;-P
will report again once i tested it a few hours.
I also got a behringer go case to replace my current doepfer case. I like the dimensions and it looks nice. But my PSU (the external brick) is making a high-pitched coil whine. Do you have that problem, too?

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 am

Dennis wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am
I think the sliding nuts should be pretty standard. My Make Noise skiff (which I should get around to selling) didn't have quite enough nuts for my taste- so I just jumped on Amazon and ordered a 20 pack of M2.5 flat square nuts for a few pounds ("few" in this case being three or so, inc shipping).

It was just a cases of exposing one end of the rails and popping a few spare nuts in there, a five minute job. If you don't mind sliding nuts, you don't have to replace it all just to get the ability to mount more small modules! Worth a punt to see if that makes your case more usable.

(I am not the biggest fan of sliding nuts, but once I added five more nuts per rail, and got some 8mm M2.5 pan-headed hex bolts and nylon washers, the skiff was pretty nice to rig. I should make sure to include all those parts when I sell it. A huge improvement over the stock setup...)

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Mon May 25, 2020 2:48 am

i got no audible noise yet. but i will rearrange a few times more and update on that.

its totally possible and very easy to add a few sliding nuts. made some myself at work and now i can add all my smaller passive modules too :-D

all around still very satisfied with it 8-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”