Amen Break Chopping/Mangling in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:42 am

not at all. stylus RMX comes with a library that has been professionally chopped and tagged. the format is proprietary but it can import rex. if bitsbox is not loading rex format and does not come with stylus RMX loop library then they are completely different. that would put bitsbox in a category with MPC5000.
who the fuck uses boring libraries lol, and yes bitbox comes with a library too (never even looked at it).

Also who cares if it can't load Rex files, you have the Recycle program built into the box, with the press of a button it slices the loops, just like in Recycle. If you really want rex files you can just resave them as .wav's, split them in bitbox again..

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Amen Break Chopping/Mangling in Eurorack?

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm

no and no. you need to spend some time with stylus RMX. there is a lot more to this way of working than what you think. it is not your basic eurorack module. it is not apples to apples. automatic beat slicers are not as good as paying someone to do it for you. that is like saying a robot can write songs better than a human. not the same at all. rex format is a standard format that goes beyond recycle and reason. I would like to see rex support in eurorack so that I do not need to do the same work twice. maybe you don't need that feature but I do.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Re:

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm
who the fuck uses boring libraries lol
did you read the thread title? are you in the right place for fresh new loops?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

timdrage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timdrage » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 pm

The Ladik Rom Player has a couple of Amen break sample chips available, also there's a couple of alternate firmwares for Ginkosynthese Grains which can do amen chopping. I used 'framen' and modified the code to add pitch control, i think since then there are other better options out there, need to have another look.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:17 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm
no and no. you need to spend some time with stylus RMX. there is a lot more to this way of working than what you think. it is not your basic eurorack module. it is not apples to apples. automatic beat slicers are not as good as paying someone to do it for you. that is like saying a robot can write songs better than a human. not the same at all. rex format is a standard format that goes beyond recycle and reason. I would like to see rex support in eurorack so that I do not need to do the same work twice. maybe you don't need that feature but I do.
I've used Stylus RMX since v1.2, i think its close to 15 years, maybe more. The first thing that struck me is how similar it gets to using that program but for euro.

The so called professional libraries that you can buy, i've tried several of the highest ranking ones. loaded samples up in Soundforge to check them out, several milliseconds of silence in the beginning.. lol, great work. Many had like several seconds of silence at the end too, this sucks for eurorack since you want short samples, short samples means faster streaming and less latency.

They're usually shit, way way worse then the samples i do for myself. I highly doubt they manually check each and every loop point for rex files either, and if they do i'm sure its as sloppy as the so called ""professional"" samples. Beat slicers can also always be adjusted and zoomed in, and it obviously also has a sensitivity setting that you must tweak.

You don't need libraries to use amen breaks, just sample it yourself from the original source. Its also the only way to know its not been resampled numerous times before, you might get a really shitty copy of a copy of a copy. If someone lazily changed from 96khz to 44.1khz or the other way around at some point it also introduces aliasing that you dont want. Many of those amen breaks that you can buy or download from the internet has a tone of compression and distortion too added to them. Its way better to add this yourself, it will sound much more professional (if you know what you're doing).

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Just to add, in my experience as soon as an Amen drops people don't usually worry about sample rate & aliasing, they just go mental.

Have a great weekend. :party:

transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:30 pm

Sorry to hijack, enjoyed reading and listening to examples here.

How does the Assimil8or handle chopping and beat mangling?

ciso
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ciso » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Not sure if this counts as mangling as no element of the source material is directly in the end result, here's a loop I made last year.

I put the Amen break in the morphagene, used it's envelope follower, took the audio out from the morphagene and ran it into ears to use it's env follower and gate detection as well. I did both env followers as I feel like they wouldn't be exactly the same.

Anyway, i took the gate, multed it, took all those outputs and put them into maths, then took the various outputs and used them to control the loquelic iteritas. I don't recall if there was a VCA involved.

this was the end result:

edit: upon listening it to again i might have also used the gate to trigger a kick with the BIA...

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Clouds Kammerl/Beat Repeat firmware does the trick.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm

it's decent, but it can sometimes get a bit clicky in my experience. your example sounded good though.

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm

one more for nerdseq (JUST nerdseq) here. just load a break on the SD card and use the internal sample channel along with probability, sample start and repeat commands - no need for any other modules. my breaks in the vid below are just that.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I have no eurorack, so I'd go outside the box & inside another box. Elektron make brilliant sequencers, no apologies for alternative viewpoint :hihi:

isi909
Common Wiggler

Post by isi909 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm
Just to add, in my experience as soon as an Amen drops people don't usually worry about sample rate & aliasing, they just go mental.
:banana:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”