Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 am

The original thread was lost with the recent fall of the forum, so posting it here again:

The Vortex Generator is at is core a function generator, not that different from a Maths, DUGS or Rampage. It produces peaks and valleys at voltage controllable timing amounts. The plot twist here is that it has a shift register performing bitwise operations between its channels, in a Benjolin or Rungler style. The result is a extremely musical modulator that can output sequences too. The envelopes has been crafted with percussion in mind, so its easy to achieve all kind of percussive and rhythmic outputs, variations and mayhem.

Channel A and B has a trigger output that goes high at every end of cycle. And there´s a 4th clock trigger out that goes high every 4th tick of channel A (the clock). It has triggers to start both channels and every channel can work in single cycle mode and in looping mode.

Some patching possibilities:

Dual VC envelope
Dual VC LFO
Polyrithmic generator
Experimental sequencer
Complex percussion generator
Clock divider
Dual gate delay
Etc



The patch of the vide is just the Vortex Generator modulating a VCO and a VCA, like this:

Vortex out A>VCO V/oct
Vortex SHFT OUT> VCO/exp FM
Vortex out B>VCA

That´s it. You see that even a super simple patch like this generates a lot of timbral variation, percussivenes and interesting tones. If you add an second VCO, LFO or Ring Mod the possibilities get next level.

The module loves to be self pached too.

SPECS:

-10 HP
-40mm deep (including connector)
-25 mA +12V
-5 mA -12V

You can get it built, here:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/202873911784

:omg:

PCBs, partial and full kits and build instructions in the DIY section
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=225559
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SphericalSound on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Estes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:28 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by Estes » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 am

This module is super exciting cause it saved me from buying a third maths. Having also this clock saves me also some space.
Honestly for me who loves to start a rhythm patch like this module is one of the most exciting modules for some time! Already ordered one can't wait!

User avatar
ToddOMG
Common Wiggler
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 am
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by ToddOMG » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am

Can you run pitch cv through it and use it as a slew limiter for portamento?

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Estes wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 am
Honestly for me who loves to start a rhythm patch like this module is one of the most exciting modules for some time! Already ordered one can't wait!
Yeah, that´s one of the core ideas of the Vortex. To me modular is mostly about building a custom drum/rythm machine and I use to patch the Rampage all the time in this kind of configurations, so I thought to do my own version of it. Normally I miss a 4th clock divider, so I put it here for that same reason. I think you will love the module. :hihi: You can build all kind of rithmic constelations with it.
ToddOMG wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am
Can you run pitch cv through it and use it as a slew limiter for portamento?
Nopes. It have cv ins for the attacks and decays but not for the filtering/portamento cv in

JackTheTripper
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:46 am

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by JackTheTripper » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am

Will you release it in other format than eurorack?

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:16 am

It is not planned ATM but you could grab a PCB set and build a custom panel for it

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi there, I was one of the people who was interested in the initial thread before it got wiped when the server went down. I have a few questions...

1) Are the outputs bipolar or unipolar?
2) I noticed you have the module for sale via eBay... are they currently assembled and ready to ship, or would there be lead time on a purchase?

Thanks. :party:

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm
Hi there, I was one of the people who was interested in the initial thread before it got wiped when the server went down. I have a few questions...

1) Are the outputs bipolar or unipolar?
2) I noticed you have the module for sale via eBay... are they currently assembled and ready to ship, or would there be lead time on a purchase?

Thanks. :party:
Hi,

1/All outputs are unipolar
2/Yes, they are assembled and ready to ship the next day ;)

Also stay in the loop. Good news coming :omg:

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by Dibek » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:26 am

Very nice, can it be used as a normal dual independent function generator as well if need be?
---

edit: ok, my question is already answered in your initial post :)

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am
deftinwulf wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm
Hi there, I was one of the people who was interested in the initial thread before it got wiped when the server went down. I have a few questions...

1) Are the outputs bipolar or unipolar?
2) I noticed you have the module for sale via eBay... are they currently assembled and ready to ship, or would there be lead time on a purchase?

Thanks. :party:
Hi,

1/All outputs are unipolar
2/Yes, they are assembled and ready to ship the next day ;)

Also stay in the loop. Good news coming :omg:
Was going to say "bummer, they're sold out (on eBay)", but then you said good news coming. :cloud: *stays tuned* :party:

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Oh, boy, how I want some user feedback of the module... Or videos... I do it great to get sugerent, bionic and organic sounds of it but mi videos sux. Mostly for the illumination and I need to get one of these tripods for the camera...

In the meanwhile, there´s one last built unit in ebay. Finished as today. I wont be doing new ones until I receive the next shipment of female jacks. They should be there in 4-10 days. So no more full kits until them either. There´s still partial and PCBs sets, tho.

And the good news... A new revision is here and working. It has a redesign of the graphics on the panel and has some jumpers in the backside. With the jumpers on you get the previous 0-5v envelope outs, and with the jumpers off you get 0 to 8V envelopes. The shift register/rungler out keeps the output at 0-5v.

And... more good news to come... :omg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:47 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Oh, boy, how I want some user feedback of the module... Or videos... I do it great to get sugerent, bionic and organic sounds of it but mi videos sux. Mostly for the illumination and I need to get one of these tripods for the camera...

In the meanwhile, there´s one last built unit in ebay. Finished as today. I wont be doing new ones until I receive the next shipment of female jacks. They should be there in 4-10 days. So no more full kits until them either. There´s still partial and PCBs sets, tho.

And the good news... A new revision is here and working. It has a redesign of the graphics on the panel and has some jumpers in the backside. With the jumpers on you get the previous 0-5v envelope outs, and with the jumpers off you get 0 to 8V envelopes. The shift register/rungler out keeps the output at 0-5v.

And... more good news to come... :omg:
Oh yeah, those new panel graphics look great! I'm going to hold out for the v2 with the jumpers and new panel. :hail: And even more good news to come! :party:

versipellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by versipellis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:25 am

Is there any way to clock it externally?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, JU-06A, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm

versipellis wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:25 am
Is there any way to clock it externally?
Yes, various ways. You can send gate or triggers or clocks to any of the channels. Also it has a divider of channel A, so you can divide by 4 any clock and use that output for doing 4/4 techno, for example.

You can also CV the rise and fall times, which is another way to clock it... in a more experimental way

versipellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by versipellis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:20 pm

More audio demos would be awesome. I only kinda understand 10% what a rungler does, the rest LGTM :P
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, JU-06A, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 am

I guess the upper Gates are inputs?

I think you would get more interest if you were a little more clear about stuff like that, its obvious to you what is what, you worked on it, but for someone who never used it and sees it for the first time its not.

It seems really similar to PEG, no? I like this smaller format better + i just sold he PEG (and i go back forth with regretting it and not lol).

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm

versipellis wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:20 pm
More audio demos would be awesome. I only kinda understand 10% what a rungler does, the rest LGTM :P
A rungler is quite esoteric and difficult to explain... but easy to get as you play with it. It´s kinda of a sequencer that produces a sequence of voltages depending on two factors or two oscilators. In this case the two oscilators are the two channels or the vortex... So one of the channels, when does the full cicle makes this sequence to go to the next step. And the other channel, when ending its cycle, changes the notes in the sequence...

I needed some videos of benjolins and runglers untill I got the concept, so dont worry if is not crystal clear ATM. It´s playing with it that makes it self-evident :)

I can´t do more demos until the weekend at least. I´ll shoot one as I get some free time

User avatar
SphericalSound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 am
I guess the upper Gates are inputs?

I think you would get more interest if you were a little more clear about stuff like that, its obvious to you what is what, you worked on it, but for someone who never used it and sees it for the first time its not.

It seems really similar to PEG, no? I like this smaller format better + i just sold he PEG (and i go back forth with regretting it and not lol).
Yep, the upper gates are the things that trigger each channel. If the channel is in looping mode, it dont need gate/triggers, it just loop at the end of the cycle

Yep, at the core both PEG and Vortex are function generators, so it has a lot of things in common. But the Vortex has this rungler/ experimental sequencer that is, to my taste, the great diferentiable point and where the magic happens... That´s the very reason d`etre of this module

As I said, I will come with new demos when I have some spare time :cloud:

versipellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by versipellis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Patiently waiting on those demos, take your time! :)
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, JU-06A, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”