Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Vortex Generator a Maths/Benjolin Fusion 10HP

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm

I've been watching this thread for months, and have been lately enjoying my Benjolin module inter-patched with Marbles, so I pulled the plug today on a Vortex Generator and can hardly wait to loop it in with Marbles, the Benjolin, and the rest of my rack.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:48 am

glennfin wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:47 am
What arduino should I order for this?
Nano V3 ??

From Tayda?......... EDIT = (ordered)
Yeah any arduino nano will work, from tayda, ebay or aliexpress :tu:

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 am

Ras Thavas wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm
I've been watching this thread for months, and have been lately enjoying my Benjolin module inter-patched with Marbles, so I pulled the plug today on a Vortex Generator and can hardly wait to loop it in with Marbles, the Benjolin, and the rest of my rack.
This three does a modular universe in itself. Qute similar to the patch I have right now: Sequencer>Vortex>Benjo. Also nice with plaits

bluesmoke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bluesmoke » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 am

Would be possible to have a better demo of what Vortex can do? I am about to pull the trigger but the lack of a decent demo is a bit off putting. Can the Vortex Generator plus Plaits produce Benjolin-style sonic oddities?

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am

bluesmoke wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 am
Would be possible to have a better demo of what Vortex can do? I am about to pull the trigger but the lack of a decent demo is a bit off putting. Can the Vortex Generator plus Plaits produce Benjolin-style sonic oddities?
Please wait some days. The video demo is coming. :)

bluesmoke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bluesmoke » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:13 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am
bluesmoke wrote:
Great to hear that, thank you!

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 pm

bluesmoke wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:13 am
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am
bluesmoke wrote:
Great to hear that, thank you!
Yeah Vortex works fantastic with Plaits. The output of this 2 is quite different from the Benjo, probably less chaotic and more "straightforward" with big " "

=D

As Sweetfiltersweep says he is preparing a decent video demo. He does great quality ones, you can check his channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Ve6M ... vFQ/videos

It will be posted over here when it´s ready :sb:

casciato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by casciato » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Couple of questions...

How fast can the function generators go? Are they "snappy"? Do they get into the audio range?

I assume the function generators' curve is linear?

I still can't wrap my head around a rungler... Is there a video or article where it's broken down, with multiple examples and maybe a clever metaphor or two?

Really curious about this module!
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

casciato wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:58 pm
Couple of questions...

How fast can the function generators go? Are they "snappy"? Do they get into the audio range?

I assume the function generators' curve is linear?

I still can't wrap my head around a rungler... Is there a video or article where it's broken down, with multiple examples and maybe a clever metaphor or two?

Really curious about this module!
According to the maker, there is more than a firmware version with different speed ranges. The version I’m testing will go almost to C3, and this is way up in the audio range. Also according to the maker, the curve is linear.

In order to understand what a rungler is, there a video from the creator Rob Hordjik with explanations:
You can also check the videos about the Benjolin, because it is made around the rungler circuit.

A rungler works with a shift register. Then you need a clock source, wich controls the speed at wich the shift register advances one step, and also a data source, whose data are written into the shift register every time the clock advances one step. The rungler takes the last three steps of the shift register and converts them into eight possible values using a crude 3 bits D/A converter. If you combine different clock speed with different amounts of written data and you come out with a stream of values to play or modulate other devices.

My video about Benjolin may help:

casciato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by casciato » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

According to the maker, there is more than a firmware version with different speed ranges. The version I’m testing will go almost to C3, and this is way up in the audio range. Also according to the maker, the curve is linear.

In order to understand what a rungler is, there a video from the creator Rob Hordjik with explanations:
You can also check the videos about the Benjolin, because it is made around the rungler circuit.

A rungler works with a shift register. Then you need a clock source, wich controls the speed at wich the shift register advances one step, and also a data source, whose data are written into the shift register every time the clock advances one step. The rungler takes the last three steps of the shift register and converts them into eight possible values using a crude 3 bits D/A converter. If you combine different clock speed with different amounts of written data and you come out with a stream of values to play or modulate other devices.
Thank you! This, along with the resources you sent, helped me get a better conceptual grasp of what a rungler is, and cleared up my remaining questions about the module. I really appreciate it!
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm
My video about Benjolin may help:
Help me decide I want a benjolin, maybe... :love:
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:21 am

[/quote]

Help me decide I want a benjolin, maybe... :love:
[/quote]

Glad you got some help. :)

Right now I’m working on a video explaining the Vortex Generator. It should be ready and online next week.

casciato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by casciato » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:21 am

Glad you got some help. :)

Right now I’m working on a video explaining the Vortex Generator. It should be ready and online next week.
I'll look forward to seeing it, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of the last few on ebay. I keep running out of wigglers, and if nothing else it's a great price for a couple of decent function generators. If I get any use out of the rungler -- and I probably will -- that's just a bonus, I figure.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”