Mutable Instruments Braids vs. Plaits

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JuliusRe
Learning to Wiggle

Mutable Instruments Braids vs. Plaits

Post by JuliusRe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 am

I understand that both are fairly similar (Plaits being the "spiritual successor" to Braids). Many of the algorithms are the same or at least similar.
Are there any distinct advantages of one over the other or does it just come down to personal taste?

Thankful for all advice - cheers! :?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Braids vs. Plaits

Post by lisa » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 am

You can read the creator’s reasoning behind iterating on the Braids concept to make Plaits here: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... ts/13478/2
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

JuliusRe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JuliusRe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:16 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 am
You can read the creator’s reasoning behind iterating on the Braids concept to make Plaits here: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... ts/13478/2
awesome - thanks! :party:

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:01 am

Both products now have clones. It is amazing to see how fast changing the modular market has become.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am

I have Braids and have never felt the need to switch for Plaits but they both have their own advantages I think. Plaits has more parameters to modulate, is smaller, and has the really nice lpg emulation. Braids has a built in quantizer and some other “under the hood” features like adjusting bit rate and sample rate. Depending on your point of view, the display is either a plus or a minus (for me it’s a plus). I might have switched out Braids for Plaits if it wasn’t for the quantizer which comes in really handy in a compact live situation.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:24 am

I’ve never been able to remove Braids from my rack. Too handy. I’d probably feel similarly about Plaits, but I’m used to Braids.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am

yeah, they are different, also to me.
the META mode in Braids is not repleaceable by anything else, IMHO.

personally i never could gel with plaits.
i sell it now ! ( in case someone in swiss would want to get one/see signature )
while i´ll keep the Braids in case i want to do some meta-mode patches
( which has to incorporate in my case also some outboard to get there where i want to get)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am

Funky40 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am
yeah, they are different, also to me.
the META mode in Braids is not repleaceable by anything else, IMHO.

personally i never could gel with plaits.
i sell it now ! ( in case someone in swiss would want to get one/see signature )
while i´ll keep the Braids in case i want to do some meta-mode patches
( which has to incorporate in my case also some outboard to get there where i want to get)
Isn't Meta mode on Braids the same as using the model CV on Plaits? Or is there more to it?

JackTheTripper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JackTheTripper » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 am

Both are glorious modules, both necessary. You can check them in vcv rack. I think I prefer plaits for the third parameter, tho

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Braids was the first standalone oscillator I purchased when I got into modular. I had it to add some digital sounds to two semi modular synths.

I got Plaits when it came out, but I realized that when an oscillator has many modes, I prefer a screen. I've now sold the Plaits and switch to a uBraids.

I typically don't go with the small versions of Mutable instruments Modules, but I don't think you lose any good ergonomic qualities with 8hp version and you gain 8hp for other things.

The SAM firmware which updates chord modes and give the vocal sounds is excellent imo
F/S Eventide Space, z8000 v2

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:41 pm

The answer is ALWAYS BOTH :fap:
*phnert*

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:46 pm

I have both. Love the LPG on Plaits, but the model LEDs are too small for performing. for That, I prefer Braids.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:41 pm

I went with Plaits, and I'm very happy with it. I was considering µBraids, but there were plenty of reasons for me to go with Plaits, in order of importance:

1) I wanted to avoid menus. I don't know how bad Braids's menus are, but I ended up avoiding menus completely when putting together my rack - no Pam's, no µo_C, etc.;
2) I wanted to avoid dinky stem knobs and micro knobs as much as possible;
3) Braids has too many options for me. I know how I am, too many and I wind up ignoring most of them;
4) Plaits has a third parameter knob and more jacks;
5) Plaits sounds a little better.

However, along with the size (saving 4HP would've been perfect for adding an Øchs, had I known about it beforehand), I'll agree with what others have said. Plaits' columns of lights and icons are too difficult to read in sub-optimal lighting, and I wish Plaits had a built-in quantizer. Relying on sequencers for quantization is a bit limiting.
If you have an original MI Rings panel you're willing to part with, please PM me.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:55 pm

xcc wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am
Isn't Meta mode on Braids the same as using the model CV on Plaits? Or is there more to it?
No, Braids has not more !
I must guess, that it´s a thing of personal perference and mostly beeing used to it.

I tryed the CV mode with plaits. The magic just did not happen for me which again could have several reasons.
Starting with the different visual setup, different sounding models, different arrangement.
It´s a strange thing.......Plaits should be so something of beeing more interesting than Braids.....
but it was not for me. ( which is effectivly funny)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Braids is a long time favourite of mine that I find endlessly useful. I recently put Plaits beside it to have two of those type of voices and find it very different. As Emilie from Mutable says the models are now more continuous rather that switchable between. Perhaps it's the inclusion of the LPG but generally it feels a lot more percussive with many of the red models in that mode. The physical modelling elements are much more elegant and useful than in Braids but there are many things that seem on paper identical between the two that in use are not. The raw PPG quality in the wavetables on Braids for instance has a very different character on Plaits. I'd buy another Plaits, it's a really sophisticated fun instrument.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”