Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 pm

mrhooks wrote:
versipellis wrote:I do sorely wish this was clockable :(
What would be the benefit of that, considering the 8 LFOs all run at different, non-sync'd tempi?
if it was clocked it would obviously run at various synced tempos..

but yeah, i agree.. i have no interest in anything non-synced when it comes to LFO's, but i can see how its interesting for ambient etc. its probably way cheaper than getting a Batumi if you have no bigger interest in sync, so great job. its something new.

SphericalSound
Common Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Wow, that scalated quickly!.

Lovely concept, Ben. I will probably get one in case a DIY version sees the light.

Would love to listen a long demo video with the ockt! modulating the hell of rings and plaits, like the small snippets of your video, but with longer takes.

I would also love to see a VCV version of that module, in case someone figures out how to do it.

GRRRRREAT. :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

What module idea will you bring next?

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
mrhooks wrote:
versipellis wrote:I do sorely wish this was clockable :(
What would be the benefit of that, considering the 8 LFOs all run at different, non-sync'd tempi?
if it was clocked it would obviously run at various synced tempos..

but yeah, i agree.. i have no interest in anything non-synced when it comes to LFO's, but i can see how its interesting for ambient etc. its probably way cheaper than getting a Batumi if you have no bigger interest in sync, so great job. its something new.
clock sync is over rated and boring imo. i make rhythmic music too and never use synced lfos. much more interesting when they are free and phasing in and out and dancing around your tempo, but just my opinion.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Ochd into Antiphon might be cool? Who can do it?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:Ochd into Antiphon might be cool? Who can do it?
The module has only just been released.... :hmm:

chit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chit » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 pm

If I ever get around to building my Antiphon...

Glad I didn't waffle on this and got on the ctrl pre order earlier :sb:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Man, if they had just added a rate knob....
THUMPR BC SC

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm

Ummm ... wasn't there another module that did pretty much the same thing not so long ago? And it sank without a trace ...

<edit>

Was it this one?

MSK 010 Fixed Sine Bank
North Coast Synthesis
Manufacturer Page
Eurorack Module MSK 010 Fixed Sine Bank from North Coast Synthesis
Octuple sine wave LFO

Eight fixed-frequency LFOs with nice smooth sine waveforms in 8HP, which is one of the best LFO to HP ratios in the Eurorack world.

The MSK 010's Wien-bridge oscillator cores produce low-frequency sine waves natively, in a fully analog way with a minimum of harmonic distortion. There are no glitches from waveshaping or stair-steps from insufficiently filtered digital-to-analog conversion. Modulate synthesis parameters with these for smoothly evolving timbres and mind-expanding soundscapes. Because the cores are fully independent and will not synchronize, a patch using multiple LFOs will not repeat its modulation state for a long time, if ever.

https://northcoastsynthesis.com/product ... -sine-bank
Last edited by Jumbuktu on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 pm

brandonlogic wrote: clock sync is over rated and boring imo. i make rhythmic music too and never use synced lfos. much more interesting when they are free and phasing in and out and dancing around your tempo, but just my opinion.
If every LFO i used in a patch was non-synced it would sound like an absolute mess, unsynced filters, or how certain drum patterns comes in or moves etc. synced doesn't mean boring or samey, you can totally have it switch between LFO types to make it interesting. Batumi even has a random LFO type which i use a lot.

I totally get something like this for stuff like slow pads etc. Each to his own i guess.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Jumbuktu wrote:Ummm ... wasn't there another module that did pretty much the same thing not so long ago? And it sank without a trace ...

<edit>

Was it this one?

MSK 010 Fixed Sine Bank
North Coast Synthesis
Manufacturer Page
Eurorack Module MSK 010 Fixed Sine Bank from North Coast Synthesis
Octuple sine wave LFO

Eight fixed-frequency LFOs with nice smooth sine waveforms in 8HP, which is one of the best LFO to HP ratios in the Eurorack world.

The MSK 010's Wien-bridge oscillator cores produce low-frequency sine waves natively, in a fully analog way with a minimum of harmonic distortion. There are no glitches from waveshaping or stair-steps from insufficiently filtered digital-to-analog conversion. Modulate synthesis parameters with these for smoothly evolving timbres and mind-expanding soundscapes. Because the cores are fully independent and will not synchronize, a patch using multiple LFOs will not repeat its modulation state for a long time, if ever.

https://northcoastsynthesis.com/product ... -sine-bank
Man, if they had just added a rate knob....
THUMPR BC SC

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:08 am

bemushroomed wrote:if it was clocked it would obviously run at various synced tempos..
But that is not the point of the module, and adding sync contributes nothing toward that end. Plus, once syncing is involved, there's bound to be people who don't like the chosen divisions/multiplications, and will want a way to set their own. And more features will mean a larger module. Instead of wishing this module was something it was never intended to be, one might as well just get Pam's.

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Post by reppiks » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:16 am

This looks super-cool. I wouldn’t want ratioed frequencies as then you’ll always get cyclical convergence; having them unrelated creates way more variation and possibility. I can see it being a great complement with a synced lfo for those who need some parameters synced while giving more life to other parameters. I’m thinking about picking one up, definitely not an ambient-only concept.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:25 am

Jumbuktu wrote:Ummm ... wasn't there another module that did pretty much the same thing not so long ago? And it sank without a trace ...
Not sure what you mean by "sank without a trace." It's one of my better-selling modules. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, though.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 am

mrhooks wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:if it was clocked it would obviously run at various synced tempos..
But that is not the point of the module, and adding sync contributes nothing toward that end. Plus, once syncing is involved, there's bound to be people who don't like the chosen divisions/multiplications, and will want a way to set their own. And more features will mean a larger module. Instead of wishing this module was something it was never intended to be, one might as well just get Pam's.
yeah, like i said, it's something new and there are other modules, like batumi, for that.. seems good for what it does + probably decent price i'm guessing.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 am

cackland wrote:
The module has only just been released.... :hmm:
I was thinking how many of the first buyers of the ochd will also have an antiphon? Must be a small number. But it could be possible in a week or two.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:21 am

Since they are analogue LFOs, its a shame there is no reset input so people have an option between completely free running and reseting the thing to get it to play on time with whatever else you have going.

Yes, I get it that its supposed to be unsynced...but strange that this is the only option. Oh well.
Best of luck with the module!

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:00 am

Just ordered from Signal Sound

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:21 am

danishchairs wrote:Fantastic - congrats ben hex and Instruo! This looks perfect for the person who can never have enough LFOs (like me)!

Two questions (sorry if I missed this in the announcement video):

a) What voltage range is the input expecting?

b) What is the voltage range of the outputs?

Cheers!
Thats a good question. What is the voltage range of the outputs?

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 am

This will pair well with Cold Mac.

Crossfade between two Ochd channels or control routing destination
Set voltage floors or ceilings for Ochd channels, min/max
Rectify Ochd channels, crease them (flip - to + and vice versa)
Lazily follow an Ochd LFO with a slewed copy (can’t think why but OK you can do it)

...And then of course a macro offset controlling the whole lot (which could of course be patched into Ochd’s CV in via Cold Mac’s left out).

Now if only I can track one down in Canada. (The ochd, I mean.)

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:18 am

Looks a really cool and interesting use of 4HP. There are plenty of alternative (and outstanding) synced LFO options in my view. This is going straight into my theoretical all black panel case :lol:

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:49 am

Hmm. Possibly borrowed from the Abstract Date Octocontroller ADE-32 running its LFO output type - more HP but infinitely more flexible.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am

If you want synced LFOs, you have other options. I have loads and for most applications prefer to run them unsynced anyway. This one is just perfect the way it is.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:43 am

Nutritional Zero wrote:This will pair well with Cold Mac.

Crossfade between two Ochd channels or control routing destination
Set voltage floors or ceilings for Ochd channels, min/max
Rectify Ochd channels, crease them (flip - to + and vice versa)
Lazily follow an Ochd LFO with a slewed copy (can’t think why but OK you can do it)

...And then of course a macro offset controlling the whole lot (which could of course be patched into Ochd’s CV in via Cold Mac’s left out).

Now if only I can track one down in Canada. (The ochd, I mean.)
Just requested a batch for Moog Audio. :mrgreen:

Scott M2
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott M2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Just requested a batch for Moog Audio. :mrgreen:
Darn... I ordered mine from the UK yesterday and it shipped today.
It seems like the kind of module that I'll end up with another soon tho. ;)

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm

nectarios wrote:Since they are analogue LFOs, its a shame there is no reset input so people have an option between completely free running and reseting the thing to get it to play on time with whatever else you have going.

Yes, I get it that its supposed to be unsynced...but strange that this is the only option. Oh well.
Best of luck with the module!
Yet again, UNsynced is the entire point of the module. Anyway you can sort of sync the start of oscillation by stopping them with a -ve gate into the CV input (see the video). Resetting analogue sine LFOs w/o getting a discontinuity is pretty much impossible.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”