Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:This will pair well with Cold Mac.

Crossfade between two Ochd channels or control routing destination
Set voltage floors or ceilings for Ochd channels, min/max
Rectify Ochd channels, crease them (flip - to + and vice versa)
Lazily follow an Ochd LFO with a slewed copy (can’t think why but OK you can do it)

...And then of course a macro offset controlling the whole lot (which could of course be patched into Ochd’s CV in via Cold Mac’s left out).

Now if only I can track one down in Canada. (The ochd, I mean.)
Just requested a batch for Moog Audio. :mrgreen:
Ah shit... I just pulled the trigger on a UK retailer! Ah well, I might get a second one when they hit MTL

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:53 pm

flashheart wrote:
nectarios wrote:Since they are analogue LFOs, its a shame there is no reset input so people have an option between completely free running and reseting the thing to get it to play on time with whatever else you have going.

Yes, I get it that its supposed to be unsynced...but strange that this is the only option. Oh well.
Best of luck with the module!
Yet again, UNsynced is the entire point of the module. Anyway you can sort of sync the start of oscillation by stopping them with a -ve gate into the CV input (see the video). Resetting analogue sine LFOs w/o getting a discontinuity is pretty much impossible.
Interesting idea actually.

While I follow the line of reasoning about "what if it had reset/ sync/ other shapes/ etc"

If you want more __________, there's tons of other options that have much more features, in larger/ pricier, more fully featured modules.

No one is filing this one under "gamechanger", but exactly like the DivKid/ Befaco Mutes... If you have a small system/ small slot, what he's been collaborating on are pretty badass 4hp that don't break the bank.

As someone who uses a lot of MN modules (B&G preferred)... I think this would be a great addition to the Cartesian/ Shared System concepts especially since in the stock configurations they are not swimming in basic LFOs other than Maths. Speaking of, this looks like it will be best friends with Maths(s) for sure. Links/Kinks type logic stuff as well.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 am

There's *always* spare CV inputs sitting about that could benefit from some subtle modulation.

charonme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by charonme » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:32 am

finally something that can compete with my heptaphasis! :)
spotify, bandcamp
Heptaphasis - DIY 3HP 7-phase quadrature sine LFO

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Ordered one from Cymru Beats yesterday and it arrived today. Ben and Instruo did a great job. I've wanted something like this for ages but it's great that it's in such a small format. It works really well with the Odessa and the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. I'm almost tempted to buy another.

Thighp.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Thighpaulsandra wrote:Ordered one from Cymru Beats yesterday and it arrived today. Ben and Instruo did a great job. I've wanted something like this for ages but it's great that it's in such a small format. It works really well with the Odessa and the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. I'm almost tempted to buy another.

Thighp.
Share if you record anything with that combo, would love to hear.
I have a harmonic osc in my er301, excited to try it with that.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by red » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:41 pm

øchd is a perfect module...

... now!

I had to dim the LEDs down 8-)
red

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 pm
Very nice! That sounded really good.
-n :ninja:

My "For Sale!" thread! :goo:
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm
brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 pm
Very nice! That sounded really good.
Agreed, dig it!

Mkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by Mkeys » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm

A couple of questions for people with the ochd. I picked one of these up used from eBay and the power connection seems weird.

First question is a total newb question: I’m guessing the big white square is meant to represent the red stripe/-12v connection? All of my other modules have more clear representation and I just want to be sure.
24D55AF1-1982-4226-8B08-A2B550811F26.jpeg

Second question: is this solder bridge in the ground connection intentional? Everything in my modular adventure so far tells me solder bridges are generally not something you want when building a module. I think its only bridging ground connections.
2BBA55D0-5083-445A-A522-9DC687705BDB.jpeg

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by scragz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm

ben_hex wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:29 pm
STORES - either in stock now or in transit to be in stock very soon to the following ...
Any word on when this will restock?

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:33 am

Mkeys wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm
A couple of questions for people with the ochd. I picked one of these up used from eBay and the power connection seems weird.

First question is a total newb question: I’m guessing the big white square is meant to represent the red stripe/-12v connection? All of my other modules have more clear representation and I just want to be sure.

Second question: is this solder bridge in the ground connection intentional? Everything in my modular adventure so far tells me solder bridges are generally not something you want when building a module. I think its only bridging ground connections.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.
This is a late reply, but a solder bridge between the ground pins is a bit odd on a commercial module but it won't matter, the middle 3 pairs of pins on the power header are all connected anyways.

I'm sure you've figured out the polarity by now, I don't know the answer since I don't have one of these things.

Hooft
Common Wiggler

Post by Hooft » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:12 am

The outputs go from fast on the top output to slow on the bottom output. The default ranges are deliberate NOT synced. These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch.
What are the ratios exactly, and can they be changed in firmware?
Yup.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 am

Hooft wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:12 am
What are the ratios exactly, and can they be changed in firmware?
There wouldn't be any firmware in a dead simple all analogue LFO so I imagine you'd have to change them by desoldering and swapping out SMD capacitors and resistors.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 pm

I would really like one of these but can’t find a dealer in the states that has it available. Anyone know of a place?

Mkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by Mkeys » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Whelm wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:33 am

This is a late reply, but a solder bridge between the ground pins is a bit odd on a commercial module but it won't matter, the middle 3 pairs of pins on the power header are all connected anyways.

I'm sure you've figured out the polarity by now, I don't know the answer since I don't have one of these things.
Thanks! I did get it figured, but I appreciate the help!

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 pm

Control wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 pm
I would really like one of these but can’t find a dealer in the states that has it available. Anyone know of a place?
Arriving soon...

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/divkid-ochd.html

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Synthient Sound wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 pm
Control wrote:
Arriving soon...
Yeah but who knows what that means given current circumstances. I think it says that as soon as they place their next order but we don't know if the situation in China has held up manufacturing or what.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Synthient Sound wrote:
Control wrote:
Arriving soon...

Great! Thank for letting me know!

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:50 am

Synthient Sound wrote:
Control wrote:
Arriving soon...

I just emailed about my order from beginning of January and PC said they have no idea when new stock will arrive.

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:50 am

I just emailed about my order from beginning of January and PC said they have no idea when new stock will arrive.
Bummer...I was interested in getting one as well.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Yeah, "Arriving Soon" at PC means they have it on order--the soon part is up to the company--haha. Also have one on order, and PC has been good about shipping as soon as it's in stock. I know Jason at Instruo is slammed with releasing, Arbhar, Lubadh, and Ochd at the same time. I think he's going flat out trying to get shipments out. If you noticed--he did a pretty fast second batch for Arbhar and Lubadh--and released a big firmware upgrade and video for Lubadh. Expecting Ochd to be restocked within few weeks.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm

"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”