Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by versipellis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm

MossGarden wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.
I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

User avatar
MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by MossGarden » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.
I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by versipellis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Well, I ordered one. Is there any news on a restock?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

User avatar
IEC
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by IEC » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:15 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
i find it musically useful :despair:

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2488
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Zymos » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 pm

I got mine right when it came out, and I still don’t know if the ratios are musically useful, because mine is permanently patched to shader parameters on Erogenous Tones Structure. But it’s the perfect module for that purpose.

Maybe some day I’ll get a second to use with audio...

User avatar
Silentnotes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Silentnotes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 am

versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.
I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
I think what they meant to say is that LFOs have a nice groove to them in the way they move around together :)

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by versipellis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Silentnotes wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 am
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.
I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
I think what they meant to say is that LFOs have a nice groove to them in the way they move around together :)
That's what I sorta figured after listening to a few more demos closely - anyways, I ordered one and am gonna use it on VCAs to see how it sounds :D
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

User avatar
realeoin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: In the Garden of Ireland

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by realeoin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 am

versipellis wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm
Silentnotes wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 am
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm
"These are free running LFOs that were tuned by ear to be musical useful for a range of fast to slow modulations in a patch."

So, I'm sorta curious about this statement, reading the description of Ochd again. What exactly does it mean to be "tuned by ear to be musically useful" when you can change the LFO rate? Does that mean, musical relative to one another?
Yes, they are not fixed ratios of the frequency set by the 'rate' knob. They are loosely offset to give a more organic behaviour, patch them into an oscilloscope and you'll see that their phases differ over time.
I'm still hung up on the "musically useful" bit of that statement.
I think what they meant to say is that LFOs have a nice groove to them in the way they move around together :)
That's what I sorta figured after listening to a few more demos closely - anyways, I ordered one and am gonna use it on VCAs to see how it sounds :D
I believe it means that although they are arranged from slowest to fastest, they are all set to unrelated rates. They aren't set to divisions or multiplications of any one single rate. This means they don't very obviously all hit a zero crossing or reset and the same time as each other. Unless of course they happen to do so by pure chance.

They are completely out of stock everywhere I've looked. Would really like to get my hands on one or two

User avatar
megarat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by megarat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:56 am

realeoin wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 am
Would really like to get my hands on one or two
As would I. I hope this COVID-19 madness hasn't affected production too much, but I can't imagine we'd be so lucky.

User avatar
Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Me too. Such a shame as I was eager to pounce on one but I'm sure everything is held up currently due to a corona world.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics


second_breakfast
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by second_breakfast » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Any updates on production? I've had a pre order at Perfect Circuit for months :/

jamos
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Location: Eugene Oregon

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by jamos » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:00 am

For those who have Teletype and want to imitate 4 channels of this... see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=221805&p=3239880&h ... e#p3239880
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, MPC Live, and a growing Euro system.

User avatar
Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Naenyn » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:15 am

second_breakfast wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm
Any updates on production? I've had a pre order at Perfect Circuit for months :/
Most recent update I got from PC was that the next shipment leaves Europe towards the end of April. It should cover the remaining preorders. I’m still waiting on mine, too. Preordered in January.
-n :ninja:

My "For Sale!" thread! :goo:
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:34 am

[quote=Naenyn post_id=3240576 time=1587186942 user_id=42291]
[quote=second_breakfast post_id=3240422 time=1587161181 user_id=51436]
Any updates on production? I've had a pre order at Perfect Circuit for months :/
[/quote]
Most recent update I got from PC was that the next shipment leaves Europe towards the end of April. It should cover the remaining preorders. I’m still waiting on mine, too. Preordered in January.
[/quote]

I cancelled my preorder but now I'm regretting it. Maybe I'll still grab one if it shows up in stock.

titaanzink
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:30 am
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by titaanzink » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:58 pm

For those of you that can't find an Ochd and have access to a Percussa SSP, I have created a patch inspired by the Ochd. It is published on the Percussa forum and has the added benefit that you can tune the musical frequencies of the 8 LFOs to your own taste if you dive in.

jcharney
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by jcharney » Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 am

Anyone know if that shipment did indeed go out from Europe at end of April? Wondering if my preorder ETA of “May” means early or late May!

User avatar
MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by MossGarden » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am

jcharney wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 am
Anyone know if that shipment did indeed go out from Europe at end of April? Wondering if my preorder ETA of “May” means early or late May!
I'd check in with PC, any info here will be speculative at best under the current circumstances unless Intruo/PC update the forum.

User avatar
Franktree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Franktree » Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 am

If you hear anything from PC, would you mind updating here? I'm in the same boat--ordered from PC in January, still waiting.

User avatar
kinkycables
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:29 am

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by kinkycables » Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 am

At this point, I'm probably going to cancel my order and go for the VCV version. Too many other interest modules out there that aren't unobtainium

User avatar
scragz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by scragz » Mon May 04, 2020 11:44 am

jcharney wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 am
Anyone know if that shipment did indeed go out from Europe at end of April? Wondering if my preorder ETA of “May” means early or late May!
Franktree wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 am
If you hear anything from PC, would you mind updating here? I'm in the same boat--ordered from PC in January, still waiting.
This was the word from PC on ochd and arbhar when I asked last week:
Unfortunately, we've been unable to get an accurate eta from the manufacturer these last couple of weeks. Keep in mind the Covid-19 situation will very likely lead to numerous unforeseen delays and for many items we won't have any kind of update until the current situation de-escalates.

I can, however, tell you that the item is on order and you're more than welcome to sign up to receive a notification on the product page once it becomes available. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
I also wrote to Instruo over the weekend and Jason says "soon" but can't give anything more precise as they are working with a skeleton crew due to Covid restrictions.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by B0bcat » Mon May 04, 2020 11:57 am

It was mentioned in a recent DivKid video (mid April ish) that completion was away “a few weeks” and that then there should be enough units to make it readily available in shops. Based on that, personally, I would be expecting end of May to mid June.
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

User avatar
Franktree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by Franktree » Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 am

duplicate post

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by versipellis » Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 pm

The update I got from Control was "hope to receive them in May, but no ETA".
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

User avatar
zenith
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 am
Contact:

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by zenith » Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Just got an update from Control:

"Just heard from Instruo and they have finally put them in production from the Covid delay. Best guess is around 2nd or 3rd week of May now. So not much longer!"

User avatar
megarat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Ochd by Instruo / DivKid

Post by megarat » Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 pm

zenith wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm
"Just heard from Instruo and they have finally put them in production from the Covid delay. Best guess is around 2nd or 3rd week of May now. So not much longer!"
Oh happy day. I'm interpreting this as actually meaning "sometime in June", but that's fine with me as well.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”