Mounting 3U modules in 1U

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Mounting 3U modules in 1U

Post by 2disbetter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:21 am

Has anyone done this? Just from eyeballing it, it looks like a module that is 8hp would fit perfectly horizontally in a 1U rack?

I'm of course assuming that the mounting holes are offset enough to still be usable when mounting it like this.

My thought is to take a FH-2 and 2 expanders and mount them in 48hp of 1U space.

Would this work? Or am I wrong about my eyeball measurements?

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Mounting 3U modules in 1U

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 am

https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks! Unfortunately that adapter eats up 4hp!

Turns out it doesn't matter as the case I was eyeballing only goes 45.5mm deep. Just 3mm short.

It was going to be sweet though. It had a built in 5 pin midi breakout that I'm pretty sure would work with the FH-2. I wonder how tacky it would look if I use 3mm worth of additional spacers to get it to fit.

bommelito
Common Wiggler

Post by bommelito » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 am

Also, the adapter has 26 HP, so no chance to fit two of them into a 48 HP rack.

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:11 am

Was looking at a Intellijel 62hp case.

Would have been a super sweet setup if I could have gotten it to work.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:24 am

In general 3U modules up to 4hp will fit in an Intellijel 1U row and 6hp in „the other“ 1U standard.
I use four of the 26hp adapters and love them.
There are some manufacturers that offer 1U faceplates to convert their 3U modules. This has the advantage that you don’t lose any hp at either end to acommodate for the 3U „lips“ when using the aforementioned adapter.

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 am

https://www.addacsystem.com/en/products ... /addac0016

this is a similar idea... I have asked addac to make a version that one could mount 8hp in... that would fill 1U

XODES
Common Wiggler

Post by XODES » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:40 am

You could fit up to 5HP modules in 1U IJ rows if their main boards permit, and if you're about to have your own front panels made instead of using an adapter, you can reduce their width to 24HP.

This is what was done on LB5.

3U :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-3u

1U :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-1u

same PCB.
Image   Image   Image   Image

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Well my plan was to mount all expert sleepers horizontal, multiple es3 and es6... all jacks, no knobs so horizontal doesn't really matter...

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:52 pm

kons wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 am
https://www.addacsystem.com/en/products ... /addac0016

this is a similar idea... I have asked addac to make a version that one could mount 8hp in... that would fill 1U
That type of adaptor will not work in a iU rail system because the rails themselves take up 3HP of apace in a 1HP slot. More if using lipped rails like Intellijel and others. The space between the rails cannot fit the PCBs on most every 8HP module out there. The 8HP is only a tenth of an inch or so less than the full 1HP height. The ADDAC adapts would only work in a chassis without the rails in it already though if that is what you were thinking. Most 8HP panels I have only use 2 holes on one side so one of those adaptors would only be needed.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes the rails of the 1U have been removed from the case... and it looks like an 8HP panel fits,

Good point, a single one of those ADDAC adaptors might work, for mounting the ES3 using just the single mounting holes --wouldn't work for mounting 2 4hp ES6's though... but worth a punt... thanks for the input. :yay:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm

kons wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm
Yes the rails of the 1U have been removed from the case... and it looks like an 8HP panel fits,

Good point, a single one of those ADDAC adaptors might work, for mounting the ES3 using just the single mounting holes --wouldn't work for mounting 2 4hp ES6's though... but worth a punt... thanks for the input. :yay:
I suppose the other bracket should be there to support the other panel edge, since the single screw 8HP modules still have the rail behind the panel to add support when plugging in patch cords.

A change in design would be to make the mounting surface (part with the screw holes for the modules) span the full 1HP width and the top and bottom edges be flat metal like the ADDAC brackets. Then you would get full support and the ability to mount more than one module. If they were sized for a standard 1U height, they would fit both types of cabinets when the rails were removed (since the outer dimensions are the same in both Pulp Logic style lipless rails and Intellijel lipped rails). You could make it with a U shaped channel that was 1U tall and had holes cut into the front for 8HP modules.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm
I suppose the other bracket should be there to support the other panel edge, since the single screw 8HP modules still have the rail behind the panel to add support when plugging in patch cords.

A change in design would be to make the mounting surface (part with the screw holes for the modules) span the full 1HP width and the top and bottom edges be flat metal like the ADDAC brackets. Then you would get full support and the ability to mount more than one module. If they were sized for a standard 1U height, they would fit both types of cabinets when the rails were removed (since the outer dimensions are the same in both Pulp Logic style lipless rails and Intellijel lipped rails). You could make it with a U shaped channel that was 1U tall and had holes cut into the front for 8HP modules.
Yes... it might be bit wobbly hanging off the single screws at each end of the module... without a rail behind to support it...

Not sure I quite get your drift in the second paragraph?
Yes a simple u shaped metal channel that is 50mm deep almost like a hollowed out 19" rack module, that the 8hp little rails cross... that would be stable...
ala this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fredenstein_bento_2.htm
aren't you a 'maker'--- DO IT!!! :75:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:59 pm

kons wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Not sure I quite get your drift in the second paragraph?
Yes a simple u shaped metal channel that is 50mm deep almost like a hollowed out 19" rack module, that the 8hp little rails cross... that would be stable...
ala this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fredenstein_bento_2.htm
aren't you a 'maker'--- DO IT!!! :75:
Yes, basically think of it like a basic 1U patch bay or other simple rack module. Typically these are bent sheet metal with the piece bent as a "C" or "U" shape with the front surface 1U high and the top and bottom sections bent back to supply rigidity. Many makers also use extrusion to do the same and provide sharper edges along the top and bottom. Take a piece like this and chop out a 8HP hole in it with threaded holes on both ends and you would have all you need. Put as many of these as can fit in your total HP width and maybe use the left over space for multiples or switches or attenuators.

Online Metals sells aluminum architectural extrusions and they sell a 1.75" wide channel that would work great for this. Here is the link - Metal Channel
It looks like this-
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.50.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.50.30 PM.png (102.96 KiB) Viewed 273 times
The width is 1.75", the "legs" are 0.5" and the thickness is .125" The thickness is the only problem in that it takes away 0.25" from the inner dimensions, but the stuff is cheap at about $6 a foot.

The piece could also easily be made at a metal shop and give you the most inner space as possible. I have made dozens of 1U rack Pro-audio gear whose designs are based on similar bends to make the front panels. That metal is 0.0625" thick so gives you maximum inner dimensions.
-James

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 pm

eowave_fond_3U_b-1.jpg
I had one these lying around... cut out 3 8HP chunks and glued them end to end... and m5 bolted them to the case on one side... very solid, works a charm...

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:12 pm

I have an Intellijel 7u case and one of these... https://www.tips.modularparts.net/3u-to ... k-adapter/

I use it for my Lxd as it has no pots therefore I don't need to bend my neck 90 degrees when trying to gage knob positions!

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:53 pm

yes but you 'lose' 4HP of space to pointless rails with that solution

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:15 am

An idea I've been toying with is 3d printing my own panels for modules I want to rotate. I haven't figured out how I'd put any labels on it though. Maybe leave some small channels to flood with ink inlays, or print a vinyl sticker to apply on top.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Korg Prologue 16, Erica Synths Fusion Mixer v3, Frequency Central Raging Bull 3.0]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:43 am

Well my goal is to have a sort of 'patch-field' in the middle section of the 7u case... the Make noise 1U in the middle of the shared system is brilliant...

so pretty much only modules with only jacks (expert sleepers, mi links etc.), that the labels are oriented 90° counter clockwise is acceptable...
just wish there were more modules with the jacks at the top... for the bottom row...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”