NEW MODULE: ETIT matrix mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

NEW MODULE: ETIT matrix mixer

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:19 pm

release date is set for Feb 15. these will be very limited production at first. then ramping up to a full production run. I was planning on pricing them at $220 retail. it is unlikely that there will be any design changes this late in the process but I welcome all feedback on pricing, specs, use cases etc.. this is a 4x4 matrix mixer. all 4 inputs are AC coupled by default but there is a way to switch each channel to DC coupled on the back of the module. this module is unique because it combines features that you would only get from 2 or 3 modules. maximum gain is 1.5. most units will have audio taper pots. linear is also available by special request. the output section is DC coupled always. you have the non-inverting and the phase 180 outputs for each channel. this is great for quickly patching up the sweet spot in a feedback loop without the need for an inverting buffer or attenuverter. because of the max gain being 1.5, you can run feedback loops through passive LPG and it should ring out even though the LPG has constant attenuation. you should be able to boost weak random or noise outputs. I know this is a common problem with random modules. the versatility lets you use it for feedback or just use it for a mixer, or a modulation mixer, or phase inversion, add AC coupling to DC coupled modules. everyone should have one in the rack. 12HP
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Re: NEW MODULE: ETIT matrix mixer

Post by sir stony » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm

With the extra gain being provided, did you design some specific sound character into the circuit in case of overdriving it, or is it just "standard" parts serving their purpose and if it clips, it clips?
WTB: Dovemans SHFT

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:02 pm

sir stony wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:49 pm
With the extra gain being provided, did you design some specific sound character into the circuit in case of overdriving it, or is it just "standard" parts serving their purpose and if it clips, it clips?
I did not want to add color to it but I did want to design it so that you get all the headroom you can get from a TL074. it should be fine till you hit +/-10v peak. then you will get +/-10v square wave. I do not currently have a favorite saturation circuit. I also didn't want to add a lot of frequency dependent phase rotation. the AC coupling is done by a 47uf bipolar electrolytic cap. this is the flattest frequency and phase response that I can manage with low cost, low parts count, simple design. I think I packed a lot of features into this one. I have to stop adding features at some point so that I can eventually release the module. if you have a favorite saturation circuit, you can PM me and I will add it to my archive of useful circuits. I have a lot of distortion circuits that I know of. I never released a distortion module because I have a hard time deciding what people want. maybe that will be the next module after the next module.

I have a 4HP dual analog comparator coming next. I stuffed the 4013 in there also as an extra feature. I shouldn't say too much before it is out.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Always nice seeing matrix mixers under 20hp

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm

very cool! Your thread on clipping diodes is pretty much responsible for my interest in feedback and distortion—no doubt this will be a fun addition!

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Nothing shall unseat my precious VCAM’s :fap:
*phnert*

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Pighood wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 pm
Nothing shall unseat my precious VCAM’s :fap:
I love VCA matrix! that is one more way to do feedback. there are many ways. I like to make the building blocks that let the users make all kinds of crazy patches. with a matrix mixer you have to put the VCA somewhere in the feedback path if you want voltage control over all this feedback noise stuff. it does not replace a VCA matrix but you don't always need a VCA matrix. this module I designed to be both a mixer for normal clean uses as well as the ability to do crazy harsh noise feedback loops. it is both.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Nice work! What kind of panel will this come with? Aluminum / PCB?
Misk wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm
very cool! Your thread on clipping diodes is pretty much responsible for my interest in feedback and distortion—no doubt this will be a fun addition!
Must of missed this one. Can you link?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Black matte finish white silkscreen. Silver plate.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”