Adding additional module power outlets onto flying bus cable

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Sloth Boss
Learning to Wiggle

Adding additional module power outlets onto flying bus cable

Post by Sloth Boss » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 am

I just purchased a Frap Uno case (Yay!), but there aren't enough power jacks provided in each row to accommodate my modules.

The Uno case provides 3.75 Amps. (All of the modules that I'll be putting in this case are less than 2.5 Amps total)

As long as I don't exceed the allotted power, can I simply add a flying bus cable with additional outlets onto the end outlet of each row? If so, are there any precautions I need to take? Will I be loading all of the additional power through one outlet, and would this cause problems? Or does the circuitry function in a way that I don't understand? (common sense says don't plug your household power strips into fully-loaded power strips just so you can power more things!)

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Re: Adding additional module power outlets onto flying bus cable

Post by goldplate » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:26 am

As far as I know, you can't link two power sources. If you want to do it, you need to put one power per distribution / flying bus and not link their +/-12v.

Sloth Boss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sloth Boss » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 am

I must not have been clear. The case has one power supply that feeds 3 flying bus cables; one per row. I want to add additional outlets, not additional power, by extending the flying bus cables. Does that make more sense?

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:55 am

Sloth Boss wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 am
Does that make more sense?
Yes. And yes to the original question.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am

As long as I don't exceed the allotted power, can I simply add a flying bus cable with additional outlets onto the end outlet of each row?
Yup, I have done the same thing with my uZeus.

kingsmore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kingsmore » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks was about to do a new post but what do you know. In the search. Haha. Here is what I think he is referring to for future wigglers. Pre made but if you have the parts you can do this. I had the same issue with my 4ms pod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 am

Every wire has a limit. If you are over the limit depends on the thickness of the wire and the current consumption per rail. The power supply also has a limit per rail. You should not attempt to draw 30A through a 26awg single conductor for example. That is an absurd example to prove a point. You can hold the cable when it is on to see if it gets warm. If it gets hot it can melt the pvc jacket on the ribbon cable. The copper wire is a resistor just like any resistor. It is also a heater. If it is some imperceptible amount of heat delta 0.001C or 50C rise @ 20 seconds well that depends. There are charts for figuring out temperature rise vs conductor diameter vs time vs current passing through the conductor. there are two pins for V+ two pins for V-. So the capacity is double the wire gauge.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Eurorack Modules”