Frap Tools Brenso

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Re: Frap Tools Brenso

Post by vilovisp » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:23 pm

just for the record frap tools amazing customer service is helping !!!

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:48 pm

was just about to say to get in touch with them as their customer service is on top of things.

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 am

a quick question about ping and decay on brenso. as far as i understand from the manual is it possible to set manually the decay but there is no control over cv. am i right?

thank you!
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:50 am

ipnoteca wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 am
a quick question about ping and decay on brenso. as far as i understand from the manual is it possible to set manually the decay but there is no control over cv. am i right?

thank you!
That's correct--the decay adjustment doesn't have a separate cv input. In practice, the ping feature has been super useful, but if I want more control, I send an envelope into the vca/wavefolder, and control the envelope.

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:50 am
ipnoteca wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 am

thank you!
That's correct--the decay adjustment doesn't have a separate cv input. In practice, the ping feature has been super useful, but if I want more control, I send an envelope into the vca/wavefolder, and control the envelope.
cheers thank you for clarification! what i want to achieve is basically percusive bass and be able to control cv over decay, at the moment i am using the intellijel shapeshifter, but after hearing the sound of brenso i completely fall in love with it!
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

endwino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by endwino » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am

I'm trying to decide between this or replacing my CS-L which is having issues with one oscillator....so difficult.....CS-L sounds great but this looks so good. TZFM might sway me towards the brenso....I don't have any experience with it but I guess it helps with tuning?

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm

endwino wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am
I'm trying to decide between this or replacing my CS-L which is having issues with one oscillator....so difficult.....CS-L sounds great but this looks so good. TZFM might sway me towards the brenso....I don't have any experience with it but I guess it helps with tuning?
What issues is the CS-L having? Is it with the saw or triangle oscillator?

Asking because I'm also weighing the CS-L against the Brenso.

endwino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by endwino » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm
endwino wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am
What issues is the CS-L having? Is it with the saw or triangle oscillator?

Asking because I'm also weighing the CS-L against the Brenso.
The pitch of the triangle core osc is stuck. Jason with Instruo is very helpful and I know it will be dealt with, but the Brenso is tempting

edit: I miss the cs-l already so I’ll probably end up with both eventually..... :doh:

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Now that this is out in the wild I can't help but want a Frap LPG to pair with it

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 pm

buzzbuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Now that this is out in the wild I can't help but want a Frap LPG to pair with it
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm

did a little test of Brenso vs CSL for my own usage and figured i'd share a clip of the results. by no means am i an expert in matching all of the intricacies of these two modules, but i applied the same modulation to each with about the same attenuation and tried to get the levels of the ring mod and pwm to match somewhat (needing external mixing on CSL, whereas Brenso's final has everything). i think the most noticeable thing is how different the wavefolders sound and how much "cleaner" CSL is. looking at a frequency analyzer, brenso does put out a lot more content below 50Hz, but somehow CSL sounds like it has a bigger bottom end.

hope this helps. happy to hear feedback about how i could better match them if someone has some golden complex osc ears.

honestly, its a tough call getting rid of CSL (which is what i assumed i would do). not a fan of how the wavefolder drops out the volume on it and the overall clutter of the panel when modulating things, and how the trim pots feel very imprecise compared to brenso, but it just has this rounded woody tone thats very different from brenso.

embedding never works for me even after removing the "s".

edit: soundcloud won't play the audio file so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Last edited by nrg242 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:18 pm

nrg242 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm
honestly, its a tough call getting rid of CSL (which is what i assumed i would do). not a fan of how the wavefolder drops out the volume on it and the overall clutter of the panel when modulating things, and how the trim pots feel very imprecise compared to brenso, but it just has this rounded woody tone thats very different from brenso.

http://soundcloud.com/naveen-g/brenso-v ... eFzmSh0KgH
Naveen - You nailed it... "Woody" is exactly how I'd describe Cš-L's secret sauce/unique sound. I had the exact same plan... and even though Brenso is definitely my favourite between the two... I will not be letting go of my Cš-L so easily.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:45 pm

Here's a streaming performance where I primarily used Brenso/Jove and Cs-L/Belgrad---with some high tone accents from Mangrove/Three Sisters. Brenso and Cs-L sit perfectly in a mix together--enough of a timbral difference to be interesting, but not glaring.

twitch.tv/videos/726380295

Edit: *sigh*, this site is a mess as usual

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Try VCO 2-> VCO 1 Lin FM (no patching), Soft Sync and AM Mod 100% (not Ringmod). Tons of sweetspots! Thats my favorite setting for the Brenso to get nice colors in sequences. I had that at the beginning, then I forgot and now I found it again.
I never use too much folder on this one and usually prefer a bit more triangle shaping in that patch (final out).

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:20 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:18 pm
nrg242 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm

http://soundcloud.com/naveen-g/brenso-v ... eFzmSh0KgH
Naveen - You nailed it... "Woody" is exactly how I'd describe Cš-L's secret sauce/unique sound. I had the exact same plan... and even though Brenso is definitely my favourite between the two... I will not be letting go of my Cš-L so easily.
Yes i also love that about the cs-l can easily get in woody territory

Also the soundcloud link isnt up anymore
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:05 am

Do they make an LPG? Currently Brenso is pairing nicely with my Optomix

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:51 am

carlotter wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:05 am
Do they make an LPG? Currently Brenso is pairing nicely with my Optomix
no, not yet. i'd realy love one from them though. I currently have it paired with a Jolinlab Agogo, working out quite well.

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:22 am

FYI These are in stock at perfect circuit, just bought one. A lot of osc for a modular whippersnapper so wish me luck!

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 am

Yep, they are in stock at Juno, Thomann and various other places suddenly. Rejoice!

I am still navigating the various ways and paths of mine, but have been having fun. The manual is beautifully written and laid-out, but because the layout is more like an academic paper, I ended up actually printing it. For some reason, it's easier to follow as dead tree.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 am

I would really love if someone could post some comparisons of this with the Cs-L (or just some more samples with the brenso). I have the Cs-L, but there are quite a few things I don't like about it... the sound is what keeps me hanging on to it though. I am thinking about getting the brenso instead, I love all my other frap tools modules so much, I have just not heard enough demos yet :).

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:35 am

I just got my Brenso and I've been loving it. Fantastic sounds. One question, though, for others who have it. If I turn all the modulation down and take the main wavefold/shape out and turn the wavefolder knob all the way down it's silent, great! However, if I take this output right into my mixer and crank the gain, I notice an audible noise floor. I have to really push it pretty far and it's not a big deal, I just want to know if others have noticed this? It's sounds like broad spectrum noise, not ground hum or anything like that. I've even taken the Brenso out of the case and tried it in others and I always get this faint white noise when the wavefolder is all the way silent. I'd be totally happy to know that this is normal, just wanted to check though.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm starting to find my way around the Brenso now, and enjoying the wild luxury of having a complex oscillator with tons of useful normalisation. It's really nice and the manual is surprisingly decent.

I took it for a spin this afternoon, it's the buzzy bassline that comes in after a minute or so:

(Also linked in the "your tunes here" forum, you haven't started seeing double. Just very Brenso-heavy, so feels like it belongs here.)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”