Frap Tools Brenso

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Re: Frap Tools Brenso

Post by neumedi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Both of my trimmers near the edge are fully bent over, similar to the one that’s bent over on sduck’s. Everything seems to work as normal though.

captainclams
Learning to Wiggle

Post by captainclams » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Mine arrived today and I can report the same experience as other folks here in regards to bent trimmers on the back, but it does not seem to impact performance at all.

I've only had a short while to begin exploring the incredible depth of this module but I did put together a simple patch to try and coax some lovely voices out of Brenso (not that it needs coaxing -- this thing sings). It's my first complex oscillator and I am feeling very good about the decision!

Here is a snippet of what I recorded. Single take, Brenso is the only sound source -- it's being managed by a Sapel, Falistri, and Pittsburgh Micro Sequencer. The "Final" out is going into two delays -- the Jellyfish (Plankton Electronics, eurorack) and Hypnosis (dreadbox, standalone). The Hypnosis provides a slight reverb as well. Apologies for those who may want a more dry/raw demo -- this is what I recorded in my short groove.

vouna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vouna » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 am

I got one shipping to me this week, really excited after listening to that patch. thanks for sharing.

vouna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vouna » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23 pm

got mine from control just now, two are a little bendy but seem to be intact and not damaged as badly as others have reported.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm

why is there a computer chip?

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:52 pm

I was wondering about that as well. and what is the small header below the power connection for?

got mine from control today, luckily nothing was bent. it looks flawless. apologies for the cable coming through the pic, it was the best pic I got of a dozen from inside my case. sounds great so far, but it'll take some time to get a feel for it. It doesn't have the same TZ artifacts/glitching I get from my Gen 3.
Attachments
EDE9F02F-F916-46FD-B622-BEEADD316302.jpeg

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Got mine from control - no issues but there was clear scraping of that header against the box and is bent a bit but not fully. Seems to have no effect.

that said this osc sounds GREAT. i left it on for several hours, and both stayed in tune. turned on again today and were in tune still. truly amazing product! :hyper:

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 am

Portabella wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm
why is there a computer chip?
Hello,
This is the same component we use on the USTA, but here it is used for a much simpler task: the frequency coarse lock function, acting as a digital sample & hold
Frap Tools - http://frap.tools

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 pm

Got my Brenso this morning. Zero damage or issues--whew! This is an insanely good oscillator--even the raw waveforms sound beautiful. The build quality, like all Frap Tools modules--is next level. The sound design and timbral shaping possibilities are endless. You could spend a day or two building a full set of killer drum and percussion samples with just the Brenso and another module to send gates into the ping circuit. The overall sound is deep, rich, and clear.

Just playing around today, and the Brenso covers a lot of sonic territory--you can make some Loquelic Iteritas/BIA type sounds, physical modeling--even low pass gate type sounds. Dialing in different sounds is super-fast and precise--the design is excellent. Wish Frap would make the front panel labels larger and clearer, but it's easy to memorize the functions.

With precise analog complex oscs like the Brenso or Cs-L--you can really go deep into FM synthesis, and things hold together. I've owned or used a range of complex oscs--Sputnik, DPO, CS-L--all great--but the Brenso brings something new and solid. In 2075, some kid is going to walk into a store, spot a Brenso covered in dust, and pick it up for a song. At home she'll clean it up and re-cap it--and make some amazing music.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 am

Where are those demo's 0.o ? Really want to hear some audio from you guys!

Murx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Murx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 am

I have the problem that if the main oscillator is at 150 Hz or below and I use CV main deviation input for FM modulation, the oscillator often stops during sequencing.

No matter whether the green or yellow oscillator is the main oscillator. Always the same.

Is that also the case with you?

Sorry for my bad english, i use translater for this. I hope I'm understood ...

nulla_spes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nulla_spes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am

Murx wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 am
I have the problem that if the main oscillator is at 150 Hz or below and I use CV main deviation input for FM modulation, the oscillator often stops during sequencing.

No matter whether the green or yellow oscillator is the main oscillator. Always the same.

Is that also the case with you?

Sorry for my bad english, i use translater for this. I hope I'm understood ...
Hello, I'm Giovanni. It might be something related to the case's power supply or ground. Given that there are almost infinite combinations of cases and PSUs, we added a trimmer called Core Comp for this kind of specific adjustment: you can find all the details for this operation on our MANUALONE, page 77, §5.1.8.
Anyway, you can drop us a line at support@frap.tools if you need further help with the core comparator settings.
Frap Tools – frap.tools

Murx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Murx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am

Many thanks for the quick response.

There are two "Core Comp" trimmers on the board. For green and yellow oscillator separately. Do I have to turn both trimmers counterclockwise ?

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Received my repaired BRENSO this morning from frap.tools with their new modified packaging. It arrived in perfect condition.

The change is the addition of foam spacers to keep BRENSO lifted off of the bottom of the box and centered.

Thank you Frap Tools for the awesome response and resolution.
34739EB1-2AF4-4163-8677-6C63E39D582A.jpeg
AD8F317E-DAD7-4BD0-9A91-113238F261F0.jpeg

nniikkoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nniikkoo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 am

Hi guys, just received the BRENSO a week ago and it is awesome, especially the mod bus and timbre section.

I also had similar problem like Murx, so whenever i patch stepped cv into deviation modulation, the core is stalling.
turning the Yellow Comp trimmer ard 20 degree CCW helps eliminate it.

then i noticed wobble if the deviation is modulated with very slow envelope / LFO.. especially near zero area.
(this is still audible even when the trimmer turned back to initial position, where the core still stalls)

in general compared to other tzfm osc, i feel the deviation modulation could be smoother. when patching sine / triangle lfo somehow the peak of modulation sounded flat.

for comparison i have made a video comparing Omega-Phi II to BRENSO.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 am

nniikkoo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 am
then i noticed wobble if the deviation is modulated with very slow envelope / LFO.. especially near zero area.
(this is still audible even when the trimmer turned back to initial position, where the core still stalls)

in general compared to other tzfm osc, i feel the deviation modulation could be smoother. when patching sine / triangle lfo somehow the peak of modulation sounded flat.
I wonder if it has something to do with the unipolar out of your Falistri, "flattening" on the top or bottom seems like maybe a clipping issue.. maybe either the Omega simply isn't sensitive enough to pick it up or the Brenso is super-sensitive. Have you tried using/adjusting Falistri's attenuverted unipolar output of that same env? Any other envelope generators handy to test on it, maybe?

Or maybe that Brenso could be slightly defective ... or damaged somehow from shipping; I'm still waiting to see if mine survived intact or not :omg:

nniikkoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nniikkoo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 am

Not only the flat peak but also there are wobbles at the beginning and the end (near zero) of the envelope..

It is similar result when i use slow sine / triangle lfo instead. I really do hope it is defective and i could get it fixed, cos its otherwise very nice module.

Just the FM slow modulation isnt as smooth as several tzfm osc i had (omega-phi / generate3 )

Murx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Murx » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 am

I turned the core comp by 45 degrees CCW. If I modulate with an LFO, there is a certain point where the moulation course is not completely clean. There is an artifact that sounds unusual.

When sequencing the FM with different values, it happens that I catch exactly this point, and it sounds strange and doesn't match the rest.

nniikkoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nniikkoo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 am

Murx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 am
I turned the core comp by 45 degrees CCW. If I modulate with an LFO, there is a certain point where the moulation course is not completely clean. There is an artifact that sounds unusual.

When sequencing the FM with different values, it happens that I catch exactly this point, and it sounds strange and doesn't match the rest.
Exactly. In my case its near zero area.. when the deviation is offseted ( up from 11 oclock onwards ) its less audible..

On percussive application (fast envelope) its less relevant tbf.. but for drones and ambient with slow envelope it can be quite annoying.

Murx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Murx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 am

I would be happy if the problem with the clean LFO modulation would go away. The oscillator stopping problem is now solved.

Yesterday I set the core comp trimmer to factory settings. The LFO modulation works better, with less artifact, but the oscillator stops again.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 pm

From my previous experience trying to calibrate modules generally once you touch one trimmer you're going to have to tweak them all and it may be a laborious back-and-forth process as the sweet spot on one might knock another off-kilter etc. Probably why they don't give instructions on using the things ourselves as it's a hassle/liability. I'd also guess that the state of the trimmers in specific often being dinged during shipping on the first batch probably also knocked them out their factory calibration as a result, quite often.

Mine arrived mostly in one piece only the yellow core symmetry was bent all the way over (nothing else though and nothing broken); I have yet to find the slow modulation issue in mine (and fyi the first thing I did was use up a whole Ochd into it including on some of the FM), but will try to later today. As an aside, good lord it's actually better than I thought/hoped. I wasn't sure if I was gonna get rid of other complex oscs or not with a Brenso because it's so far been a pros-cons situation / they all sound kinda different enough to consider - but this one is making me seriously consider if I need others. First impression is it sounds sort of like a DPO crossed with a Loquelic Iteritas only it's thru-zero and has a bunch more timbre controls.

Murx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Murx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 pm

With me the yellow oscillator is set to 55 Hz and the green one to 110 Hz. On the yellow side is linear FM at 12 o'clock. When I turn the big one attenuator slowly and continuously, there is a sudden change in frequency modulation at a certain point and the red LED changes its brightness, starts flashing at this point and calms down again when I turn it further. The modulation is not linear, but changes abruptly and unpleasantly with a higher frequency at a certain point and then again with an abrupt slower one. The same happens with exponential modulation, but it is not as noticeable as with linear FM.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 pm

I have tinnitus and complex oscillators, whether I'm playing them myself or listening to online demos, often tweak my ears a bit. For some reason the Brenso hasn't done that to my ears once. So strange. I've refrained from getting a complex oscillator in my Eurorack case since I have some elsewhere but I think I will jump on one of these. Very cool oscillator.

vouna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vouna » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Gringo Starr I thought it was just me, but I can also echo these sentiments.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Where are the sound demos!? Really itching to hear some recordings.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”