Frap Tools Brenso

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

peripatitis

Re: Frap Tools Brenso

Post by peripatitis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:03 pm

some classic thru-zero sounds there. Is it my idea though or is there some slight shift in pitch?
Perhaps it's from the sequencer? I don't know.
This is beautiful looking though...

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:43 am

peripatitis wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:03 pm
some classic thru-zero sounds there. Is it my idea though or is there some slight shift in pitch?
Perhaps it's from the sequencer? I don't know.
This is beautiful looking though...
At 1:14 he increases the linFM amount and it retains pitch on this video.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how much drastic is the timbre section, cause on paper it appears to be very feature packed, so waiting to listen to some proper videos as so far it sounds quite dull, in the sense that there is not much high frequency content.
The decreasing of the release time with increasingly dense triggers on the timbre is a great idea.

Very interesting module for sure, especially since its not as expensive as the company name, suggests.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Sound so far is not impressing me too much... but let’s wait for some proper demos..

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Would be nice to have some more musical demos

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:39 pm

They need some better demos for sure but I’m liking what I’m hearing so far.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:54 am

It sounds much much better on Sonicstate's vid, particularly from about 5:30 on its character is more apparent. It seems crisp and clear, like the Cs-L, only I think more on the "buzzy" side than "crystalline". Not fuzzy like Furthrrrr, buzzy. Buzzy is good IMO, it can be a bit grating when raw and open but in practice gives more detail for filters to chew on. The other thing is that we still haven't heard the easy-mode, instant-awesome mode audio for this, which on complex oscs easily comes from subtle LFO/env'ing several of the waveshapers. Only the pluck function was demonstrated which is pretty hard to judge standalone but seems similar to the strike input on the DPO's folder, however here it's got an atten, almost everything in the shaping does which is really nice.

As far as I'm starting to understand, this has a main wavefolder and then a crossfader that fades between two different types of waveshapers. So keeping the crossfade at about 50-50 you have the typical folder + two shapers setup although one of the shapers has a PWM on it to boot. There being a dedicated CV'able bias control on the folder + two different shapers + TZFM + (I think) the AM can be gradually/subtly combined instead of just flipping a switch, as a whole takes it a bit ahead of the other complex oscs out there. Maybe the conversation of a year or two from now could be Mindphaser vs Brenso as definitive next-gen complex oscs.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

Is this still shipping out before summer?

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:56 pm

the sine normalization to the timbre section, the independently mixable linear and exponential fm per operator, and the "strike"-like circuit makes it pretty clear to me that this was heavily inspired by the DPO. (not to mention the obvious layout similarities.)

I definitely miss pwm on my DPO and lean on an FM Aid with it since the linear FM doesn't do much for me, so this has me really intrigued

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:39 pm

seems more of a 259 style inspiration than a DPO persay, since the dpo and many others actually take their inspiration and layout from the buchla 259. Like a lot of the frap tools products, seems to take the buchla layout and ideology and then runs with it with modern advancements. as a heavy buchla user i can say that I have almost the whole frap line and its all 10/10 so very much looking forward to this!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am
Is this still shipping out before summer?
I highly doubt anything is running on schedule these days.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 pm

grape tony wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:39 pm
seems more of a 259 style inspiration than a DPO persay, since the dpo and many others actually take their inspiration and layout from the buchla 259. Like a lot of the frap tools products, seems to take the buchla layout and ideology and then runs with it with modern advancements. as a heavy buchla user i can say that I have almost the whole frap line and its all 10/10 so very much looking forward to this!
not to derail, but what attracted you to frap over verbos, as a buchla user?

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:00 am

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 pm
grape tony wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:39 pm
not to derail, but what attracted you to frap over verbos, as a buchla user?

Totally. The verbos stuff is nice, and seemingly closest in physical design but just didn't sound like it to me and i didn't really want a buchla clone in euro. buchla (to me) are their own instruments, have their own feel and just don't want that in euro. The Frap stuff is unique, hard to compare it to anything but really top notch. I've always loved the buchla Source of Uncertainty but everyone buchla one i've used has had it's own wonky charm. The Sapel was the first i bought since it takes from that and ended up liking it better for a few reasons. Buchla (100 and 200 systems) are wonky, and often very wild which gives them the charm but hard to be precise. I find this easy w/ the frap stuff. The second i bought was the Fumana, after loving the buchla 296, which i adore. the fumana is UNREAL and built perfectly. sounds a bit different but much more precise and better at voiding. Same again w/ the falistri, more of a serge DUSG design but unbelievably made and precise. Their mixer is more like an API console than a mixer. you can get a LOT from driving those. I know Frap is doing "Frap Audio" and announcing some professional 500-series compressors, which makes sense as to me, their modules are built like pro audio devices and while expensive, i think they're worth it. I don't want a buchla in euro rack, but i find these modules give me what i want out of some of those buchla modules but a little more since modern advancements and r&d

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm

thanks for your detailed response, grape tony.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Perfect Circuit just started taking pre-orders for Brenso--supposedly shipping June 18. Not that I need another osc--haha--but everything Frap Tools does is next level. I'll also be able to start using my Falistri for cv for a change--maybe.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:34 pm
Perfect Circuit just started taking pre-orders for Brenso--supposedly shipping June 18. Not that I need another osc--haha--but everything Frap Tools does is next level. I'll also be able to start using my Falistri for cv for a change--maybe.
Falistri does make some lovely tones.

I wish there were more demos of the Brenso.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 pm

I don’t have a complex oscialltor in Euro and was going to get the Furthrrr Generator but am waiting for this to come out first. Looking forward to hearing some user demos once it’s released and then I’ll decide which one. Or both? I love that yellow panel.

naxuu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by naxuu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 pm
I don’t have a complex oscialltor in Euro and was going to get the Furthrrr Generator but am waiting for this to come out first. Looking forward to hearing some user demos once it’s released and then I’ll decide which one. Or both? I love that yellow panel.
If you get the Brenso and decide you want to try out the Furthrrrr for a bit to compare, let me know. I've recently taken hold of a Furthrrrr, but I've been looking at the Brenso with interest ever since it was announced. In a similar boat to you, waiting to hear some more demos and choosing between the two options. Maybe we can do a swap for a month or something as a trial.

boom blip
Common Wiggler

Post by boom blip » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Trying to decide between this and the CS-L really want this to come out so I can hear some demos.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:36 pm

I caved and preordered one.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:48 pm

unfashionable opinion these days, but I really hope Greyscale does a silver panel for this eventually. like the black-on-black crowd I prefer my instrument to look visually cohesive, but I have far too many cold dead hands modules that won't have a black panel in any foreseeable future.

anyway, I too am eager as hell to hear some more demos

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:02 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:48 pm
unfashionable opinion these days, but I really hope Greyscale does a silver panel for this eventually. like the black-on-black crowd I prefer my instrument to look visually cohesive, but I have far too many cold dead hands modules that won't have a black panel in any foreseeable future.

anyway, I too am eager as hell to hear some more demos
I avoided eurorack for so long almost for this reason. I like visual cohesion as well but for some reason as my eurorack case is growing I’m craving a variety of color. I want some red and blue and yellow modules mixed with my gray/white/metal colored modules. Tastes do change I guess.

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:34 pm

@boom blip I have a Cs-L and love it it's a monster. The pingable waveshapers are keen.

I'm replacing a Pittsburgh Modular Helix with the Brenso because Frap Tools makes incredible gear.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 am

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 am
So damn good! I think my Cs-L needs a brother!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 am

MossGarden wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am
So damn good! I think my Cs-L needs a brother!
It does sound good, especially the waveshapers. The layout looks to be rational and friendly.

Although the gaggle of tiny pots is not my favorite, I understand that the design is exposing a lot of features, so some compromise had to be made to keep the module size in check.

The one detail I don't agree with is the tiny slider switches. Those always feel fragile to me, and they are not a good tactile interface. Nice, solid toggle switches are much better. Like the ones on Furthrrrr Generator. ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”