Frap Tools Brenso

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Frap Tools Brenso

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 pm

boom blip wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:38 am
... can the wave shaping on the right side process external audio?
It looks like all the modulation chains are semi-normalled, and can be used with external sources, but the waveshapers are normalled to the Brenso osc oututs. Makes sense, since waveshaping is usually part of osc circuits--you have a core wave, like triangle or saw, and it gets waveshaped to sine, etc, and a comparator spits out the square waves.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:57 pm

I noticed on CTRL-Mod's insta that they had just gotten these, and still had a few left, and bought one immediately. And got a shipping notice within the hour - cool! This will probably replace my underutilized Feedback Two59.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:07 pm

sduck wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:57 pm
I noticed on CTRL-Mod's insta that they had just gotten these, and still had a few left, and bought one immediately. And got a shipping notice within the hour - cool! This will probably replace my underutilized Feedback Two59.
Hell yeah!!!! Congrats! Please come back and let us know how you like it.

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 pm

> can the wave shaping on the right side process external audio?

Brenso doesn't do that. Instruo's Cs-L does however.

Mine will be here Monday!!

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 am

Brenso arrived.... but not in good shape. :/

PC shipped it in a box with packing peanuts instead of the usual bubble wrap. Brenso itself sits in a box that says it isn’t suitable for single shipping, to include it in a bigger box with proper packaging.

Brenso ships in that box with the weakest excuse for bubble wrap I’ve seen... one of the trimmable POTs on the back was sticking through the bubble wrap bag. :/

Ive not tried to power it up yet. The trimmer pot appears as if it will break off if you look at it wrong.

Oh well.
09728498-BDF0-4549-A438-5B0CB2644B9C.jpeg
9AE28C1C-906F-454B-9CFF-94E9DBD99860.jpeg

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:04 am

That's really very poor.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 am

That's pretty shocking on a module that expensive. I'll report back on anything similar - mines coming from PC too.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:44 am

That's a pity. I've seen similar things on other modules, e.g. Harvestman (which were packed in a plastic bag loosely lying in the box). Wouldn't have expected it from Frap Tools - the last few modules I got from them were bubblewrapped well and tightly packed into their box. Didn't matter much how the store packed them.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:10 am

glad I ordered from control then. though everything I've ordered from PC has been packaged well. I imagine you could send it back and get a replacement?

I don't need more oscillators, but sometimes I wish my Gen 3 had an osc to pair without sacrificing part of troika from chord duty. If I deem it worthy, I suppose I'll sell the G3 for sake of condensation. the Frap overview sounds much better than the earliet videos

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 am

Similar shipping damage here, although not as bad.

The module is heavy and has a number of exposed components. One layer of thin bubble wrap around the module is inadequate. You can see where the bubble wrap has failed in multiple places. Combine that with a larger shipping box that uses peanuts and therefore allows the Frap Tools box to move around inside, and it’s not surprising the module is damaged.
Attachments
27CCCC89-85A6-46FD-94CF-195DF882303C.jpeg
62D8A53E-0D66-40CB-AF31-AB25115A7DD3.jpeg
E6D8EA33-513B-47EA-B1CD-BC5EC7E4D97D.jpeg
EB11B177-AE8B-4509-98DA-4F089A4B0BE5.jpeg
912504EB-7B5D-48E7-B43B-1C3EF3C7DBFC.jpeg

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:46 am

If that was from PC also, mind sending them a note? It’ll be a continued problem that may be a “silent killer” for a while otherwise.

(I was one of the early finders of the Xbox red ring of death.. and was ignored by MS for a long time at my cost until they realized it was systemic.)

*EDIT*: Frap Tools responded to a support inquiry almost immediately and is eager to correct the issue, although it'll take another round trip through the mail.

-j

coyote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by coyote » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

I just got mine as well with a bent component.

Has anyone tried powering there's up or is that a bad idea?
Attachments
IMG_5976.jpg

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:12 pm

> Has anyone tried powering there's up or is that a bad idea?

If it's just a bent trimmer pot, it's probably fine to power it up. If the trimmer is broken then the module won't behave correctly, but it shouldn't blow anything up. If it's bad, then the module just won't power up.

Just be sure that there isn't a short (leg of the trimmer touching metal anywhere else on the circuit)

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Well, that’s just great- my Brenso is also inbound from PCA. Everyone should also contact Frap Tools, before more shipments are damaged—although they probably packed and shipped the full lot on the same day. What’s with the packing peanuts—I seriously hate those things. :picard:

XiXora
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XiXora » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:00 pm

This is possibly why I like modules that have their large components on the inside like a sandwich or have a PCB layer over the top.

Hope your issues are sorted quickly… I am looking forward to hearing them :)

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Mine powered up fine as best I can tell — it’s packed back up waiting on a return label from Frap to repair, however. Frap did tell me that they’ll rework the packaging for the next round.

-j

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Yay! Just got mine, two trims were bent over but not damaged, I stood them back up and am contentedly jamming away with this tone monster as we speak

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 pm

architexture wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:23 pm
Yay! Just got mine, two trims were bent over but not damaged, I stood them back up and am contentedly jamming away with this tone monster as we speak
Tone monster is right.

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 pm

videos please

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to pop by and thank you for your super fast feedback. We packed BRENSO with the same packaging that we use for all the other modules, which has never failed us, but it’s now evident that BRENSO requires something slightly different. (None of us honestly thought about it and, as far as I can tell, this issue doesn’t occur on all the units we shipped.)

We’re already working to improve the packages yet to be shipped, and we’ll provide a more tailored package for the next batch (which should be ready this after the summer).

I’m sorry that a few of you had to pay the price for everybody. For those of you who had a similar issue: feel free to drop us a line at support@frap.tools to arrange the best solution.

I hope that this problem won’t affect too much your BRENSO experience!
Frap Tools - http://frap.tools

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm

mmontazeri wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 pm
videos please
SoundCloud would even work. I’ve never posted anything so I don’t feel like I have the right to request anything but I’m definitely curious to hear the Brenso homestyle.

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 pm

simonefabbri wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Hello everybody,
I just wanted to pop by and thank you for your super fast feedback. We packed BRENSO with the same packaging that we use for all the other modules, which has never failed us, but it’s now evident that BRENSO requires something slightly different. (None of us honestly thought about it and, as far as I can tell, this issue doesn’t occur on all the units we shipped.)

We’re already working to improve the packages yet to be shipped, and we’ll provide a more tailored package for the next batch (which should be ready this after the summer).

I’m sorry that a few of you had to pay the price for everybody. For those of you who had a similar issue: feel free to drop us a line at support@frap.tools to arrange the best solution.

I hope that this problem won’t affect too much your BRENSO experience!
In my case, I'll say that this issue has positively effected my BRENSO experience and my view of Frap tools. Your responsiveness has been nothing short of excellent and in my opinion is something other vendors (I'm looking at you starts-with-an-I-and-ends-with-an-o) could learn from.

I look forward to playing with BRENSO once it arrives back to me.

-j

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Just opened my package from Control. First, the good news -
IMG_0385.JPG
Yay! But, there's some definite weirdness on the back. The packaging was great, and there is no evident damage from shipping. But, the back looks like this -
IMG_7289.JPG
My main concern is that bent trimmer bottom right. It looks like it should still work ok, the connections are good, but there's some slight damage to the case.
IMG_8238.JPG
The other bent over trimmer looks like it was installed that way -
IMG_1850.JPG
There's some jankines going on here in the middle - some after the fact resistors added - presumably there will be a rev 2 version soon that doesn't need this fix. Also note the weird leg of the adjacent IC, soldered to something out of the ordinary -
IMG_1240.JPG
Also, it appears that there's supposed to be a jumper here - I haven't looked at the docs yet, maybe it's optional.
IMG_8032.JPG
Anyway, otherwise it looks fine. I haven't fired it up yet, but see no reason not to, and will soon, as soon as I clear out some space.

simonefabbri
Common Wiggler

Post by simonefabbri » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Hello,
The one in the last image is a 3 pole test point to trim the triangle waveshaper, so it’s ok to do not have a jumper in there!
Frap Tools - http://frap.tools

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Excellent! And I've been able to test it out, and everything seems to be working great (so far), so no worries!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”