Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm

good piece indeed, though perhaps not optimal as a demo of the EnsOsc since so much else is in use..

tones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tones » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:34 pm

I've had the ENOSC for a few months and am loving it! A really beautiful and innovative instrument.

Here's the key thing I'm struggling with: I often want my ENOSC to play in-tune with my other modules. (e.g. while sending CV to the Root, Scale, and Pitch inputs, to incorporate the ENOSC into a chord progression.) To make this work, I need to adjust the Pitch knob to the precise right place where it's in-tune.

But even a very slight nudge of the Pitch knob can move the frequency by a half-step or more. This makes it difficult to initially tune the device, and very easy to accidentally knock it out of tune afterwards.

Does anyone else find it problematic that the Pitch knob is so sensitive? Is there a better way to bring the ENOSC into tune with other modules? Maybe some way of disabling the Pitch knob, or setting it to a finer tuning granularity?

=T=

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm

tones wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:34 pm
I've had the ENOSC for a few months and am loving it! A really beautiful and innovative instrument.

Here's the key thing I'm struggling with: I often want my ENOSC to play in-tune with my other modules. (e.g. while sending CV to the Root, Scale, and Pitch inputs, to incorporate the ENOSC into a chord progression.) To make this work, I need to adjust the Pitch knob to the precise right place where it's in-tune.

But even a very slight nudge of the Pitch knob can move the frequency by a half-step or more. This makes it difficult to initially tune the device, and very easy to accidentally knock it out of tune afterwards.

Does anyone else find it problematic that the Pitch knob is so sensitive? Is there a better way to bring the ENOSC into tune with other modules? Maybe some way of disabling the Pitch knob, or setting it to a finer tuning granularity?

=T=
Sometimes I wish oscillators could have their pitch knobs locked, but the ENOSC seems no different from any other oscillator in my experience when it comes to tuning. Just try not to touch it once you have it in tune.

chasing_noise
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chasing_noise » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:15 am

wajobu wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:35 am
I'm really enjoying the Ensemble Oscillator (and I'm normally an all-analog oscillator type). This video is an example of all knob-twisting, no sequencing. I'm not using a quantizer, but am running a Boss TU-3S tuner first in my effects loop, so I can get pretty close to expected notes as I'm sweeping the knobs on the EO. This was recorded in stereo, all played live, no overdubs.
Woow this is really awesome and peaceful, thank you for sharing. I´m very interested in this module :yay:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:06 pm

tones wrote:

=T=
The sensitivity seems average to me. Since there's chords and scales involved tuning can be weird if you've got a lot happening but if you go to one oscillator or the first scale of the 12-Tet setting it's easier. The ROOT knob can work like an octave switch.

Also if PITCH is fully CCW it is a C and I think noon is very close if not a C as well.
THUMPR BC SC

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:06 pm

How are users finding the Ensemble Osc after a couple months? I'm wondering if, w/its variety of parameter controls, FM /PM (?)/ digital folding capabilities, and ability to create any (?) sort of chord/interval, it's capable of (v dirty, and clean) timbres, ranging from NE-like (or Shapeshifter-esque) abrasiveness, to Rings (or Odessa, or IME) -like glassiness. This is the sort of impression I've got, based on the available demos. It seems to be great for making lush pads, but is it also useful for staccato sounds, lead voicings, etc..? Wondering how people are liking it so far; if it's proven to be chameleon-like, or more of a one-trick pony (don't mean to generalize). Apologies if this is a redundant or reductive inquiry.. any thoughts are appreciated.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm

xcc wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm
tones wrote:

=T=
Sometimes I wish oscillators could have their pitch knobs locked, but the ENOSC seems no different from any other oscillator in my experience when it comes to tuning. Just try not to touch it once you have it in tune.
You'd like Frap Tools Brenso then!

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm
xcc wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm
tones wrote:

=T=
You'd like Frap Tools Brenso then!
Don’t get me started on another quest! :foul:

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:26 pm

To reiterate - it's fairly clear that EnOsc is good for animated pads and chordal, organ-like drones, etc. ... How does it sound in a staccato/percussive, enveloped, or low pass gated way? Do the Scale banks (10) act as fixed chords which can be cycled through using the CV input on the bottom of the face plate? Is it possible to make it sound unidentifiable, or does it have a readily identifiable character?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 pm

It sounds great for staccato as well. Anything that has a lot of harmonics sounds amazing with LPGs. The Piston Honda should come with a LPG.

This thing is wonderful after having it for a little bit. It's perfect and there's so much to explore with it. I always have ROOT modulated in some way. Getting rid of the crossfading makes it absolutely bonkers sounding because it's still beautiful sounding.

Playing with creating your own chords has been fun but I lack the knowledge to really exploit that feature, however, as I play with it, it becomes more and more obvious. I got hung up with the Telharmonic because I couldn't figure out scales which was my fault since it was my first module.

It's immediate and rewards exploration as well. I highly recommend anyone just buys one and if you don't like it sell it. Don't overthink it.
THUMPR BC SC

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:12 am

medium Rob wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:26 pm
To reiterate - it's fairly clear that EnOsc is good for animated pads and chordal, organ-like drones, etc. ... How does it sound in a staccato/percussive, enveloped, or low pass gated way? Do the Scale banks (10) act as fixed chords which can be cycled through using the CV input on the bottom of the face plate? Is it possible to make it sound unidentifiable, or does it have a readily identifiable character?
I know a handful of posts back I talked about how it was a perfect pad machine but have been having a harder time working it into a "dominant" / main voice position, and to some degree that's still true. But I do think it works fine with envelopes and more staccato, faster-moving lines. One thing I like to do is create an almost arpeggio-like effect by sequencing/ modulating the Root on a per-step basis and then sequencing the Pitch on a slower basis: so you get this cyclic arpeggio-like movement within the chosen Scale & Pitch via moving the Root around, and then you sequence your pitch as usual. Sometimes it works really well with no slew on the Root, other times it sounds way better with a bit of slew so you can "hear" the crossfading along the Scale. It also creates 2 very different sounds if you base your envelope on the root sequence or the pitch sequence. If you're using envelopes too, this thing takes to envelope followers really well to modulate filter cutoffs, etc. And there's so much harmonic content for filters to chew on, that I find myself using things like notch and bandpass filters far more than the usual LP or HP. There's also some interesting, things you can do where you move the root in the opposite direction of the pitch as the pitch shifts up or down, or do it the root shifts are phased to the pitch shifts. It's not a flanger, or a shepard tone thing, but sort of conceptually similar to it, and can sound really interesting if gated or run through fast envelopes and not just as drones. So yeah, it doesn't have to be a drone and pad machine only, there's lots of different places to take it.

I do think it has a particular sound if you don't mess with the parameters too much, that sort of "church organ" thing. And given what it's doing, I think there's always going to be a certain sort of sonic character to the module. But especially with the different styles of FM and Warp, you can take the module in a some different directions from super glistening and glasslike to incredibly dirty, IME-style FM/wavefolding grit (while still staying melodic), to almost chip-tune-esque SNES-chip sort of stuff. I know originally people were kind of comparing to the Odessa, but to me it doesn't sound like the Odessa at all. Adjusting the Spread and Balance can also move it "out" of the usual character of the module...tightening up the spread and pushing the balance towards the lower ends of the scale gives you, eh.. not a supersaw, but something that feels a bit closer to other oscillators.Also, sometimes a simple flick of a toggle (like the FM "up" vs "down" vs "all" or the 3-mode toggle on Twist or Warp can *completely* change the nature of the sound. r.e. CVing the "chords": You can cycle the scales using CV within each bank, but sweeping that input is probably not going to do anyone any good; I don't CV control it on Scale that often, but if you did you'd want to probably pick specific scales and figure out the CV values for each.

I'm not sure if i'd want it to be my only oscillator, as it is a very specific duck, but as a second oscillator or one that fills a gap it's pretty nice (and priced quite aggressively considering what's on board). It's one of the few VCOs that passes my "Can't I just do that on my E370? If so, I probably don't need it" test, so I've been pretty happy with it.

NJlo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NJlo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:06 am

Mmmm I seem to have a trigger-friendly finger for buying this module today... But I kind of wonder, what kind of stereo filter and/or VCA are good to use with it? Or are the cv inputs able to change amplitude?

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:12 am

I have had this oscillator for about two weeks...and I'm not really gelling with it. Could I get some tips on the settings people use to tune it (do you just use root for this- turning balance fully CCW)? And then - how to use it within a "tuned" patch....because when I modulate the pitch input all my overtones are going to go out of key. If modulate the root (but select the correct scale for my overtones) everything should stay in key - correct? Seems like an amazing module for drones that stay with a certain tonality so far...but I've had so much difficulty getting it to fit I've barely touched it.

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:13 am

Just saw someone with the same issue a few posts above - oops

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:03 am

I don’t have one of these (yet), but given the nature of this oscillator, it seems to me that tuning it (by ear or with a tuner) is a matter of first adjusting the settings so all you’re hearing is the root (mainly about spread to zero), adjusting the root knob so that what you’re hearing in the right approximate octave, and then adjusting pitch to bring it into line.

Once you start spreading oscillators, you’re going to have to have some functional relationship with music theory if you want it to “play nice” with other voices in your system.

Have I got that all right?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:13 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:03 am
I don’t have one of these (yet), but given the nature of this oscillator, it seems to me that tuning it (by ear or with a tuner) is a matter of first adjusting the settings so all you’re hearing is the root (mainly about spread to zero), adjusting the root knob so that what you’re hearing in the right approximate octave, and then adjusting pitch to bring it into line.

Once you start spreading oscillators, you’re going to have to have some functional relationship with music theory if you want it to “play nice” with other voices in your system.

Have I got that all right?
Yep!

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Post by akrenaut » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:24 pm

It is certainly a module where minute knob adjustments can throw it into wild sonic territory. Attenuation on your cv's before going in is a must I would say. Zeroing out parameters and slowly adjusting from a solidly tuned root will help land you in more "musically" appealing tones. The full spectrum of tones and tones in between tones is where this module really shines. There is nothing else in my rack which sounds at all like the Ensemble. I would probably call it a first date module...in that sense you have to seduce it very slowly if you want to see the beauty exposed below the surface.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 pm

If anyone here has the covid-19 boredom and has the time I would love to hear some demos of this oscillator through various filters. I can only hear harshness when I listen to demos of this oscillator but yet there's something in it that is still keeping me interested. I'd like to hear if this can be smoothed out into a soft lovely world of sound.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:10 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 pm
If anyone here has the covid-19 boredom and has the time I would love to hear some demos of this oscillator through various filters. I can only hear harshness when I listen to demos of this oscillator but yet there's something in it that is still keeping me interested. I'd like to hear if this can be smoothed out into a soft lovely world of sound.
I've got two out of the three criteria but I'm not big on filters and only have one in the case where my ENOSC lives. So it might be a struggle. I get what you are saying about the top end tending to dominate (is that harsh or just too bright?) but I think it can be pulled back and tamed without filters. One if the things I discovered quickly is that this thing eats attenuators. If you want subtle, more gentle sounds you really have to dial down the modulation of the various wave shaping inputs.

Is something like this too harsh for your taste? No filters or eq, just some reverb

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 am

Umcorps wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:10 am
Gringo Starr wrote:
I've got two out of the three criteria but I'm not big on filters and only have one in the case where my ENOSC lives. So it might be a struggle. I get what you are saying about the top end tending to dominate (is that harsh or just too bright?) but I think it can be pulled back and tamed without filters. One if the things I discovered quickly is that this thing eats attenuators. If you want subtle, more gentle sounds you really have to dial down the modulation of the various wave shaping inputs.

Is something like this too harsh for your taste? No filters or eq, just some reverb

:omg:

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:53 am

:yay: That is indeed loverly, umcorps!

Mine arrives tomorrow. So hyped! :hyper:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:58 am

Beautiful umcorps
THUMPR BC SC

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:

Thanks for sharing that. That sounded great. One of the best sounding demos I’ve heard from this oscialltor. Not harsh at all.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Umcorps wrote:

Some lovely demos on your IG, including this one :tu:

Cosmoplast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cosmoplast » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am

Anyone have feedback to give to me using Enosc with 4ms SMR???

Return to “Eurorack Modules”