Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am
Has anyone put it through Rings yet? I think a resonator would serve this thing well.
Rings tends to obscure the frequency relationships between oscillators in ENOSC -- for the most part there isn't a lot of advantage over using a basic oscillator to excite Rings, except you can do some sweeps of Root or Spread and Rings kind of blurs them out in ways that might be interesting.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I was thinking drones and modulation would be nice.
THUMPR BC SC

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 pm

There are a few interesting possibilities. I think for the most part, ENOSC's textures sound best when not completely drowned by a resonator... but mixing some of the dry signal in with the Rings output is another story.

(Experimenting with this gave me the impetus to record a track, with just ENOSC, RIngs, Blinds and Phonogene... so thanks for that :D)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:00 pm

I believe there's a lot of sweet spots you could find with those two and I'm excited to hear what you've done.
THUMPR BC SC

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:57 am

I tried calibrating, in regards to using it with the Hermod but couldnt get any results. I also used the CV out from a Moog sub 37CV.

I followed the instructions to a T. unpatch everything except output, press both buttons for 2 seconds, learn button flashes blue, input C2 then press learn.

But the module just flashes and resets. Then I go to play a sequence and it doesnt track over more than 2-3 octaves.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:06 pm

I did a video of some knob twiddling. It seems to track ok with my subsequent 37 controlling the pitch but not the hermod.

In this video I use pams new workout as a quantiser for the pitch.

HughEye
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HughEye » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm

[/quote]

I've got two out of the three criteria but I'm not big on filters and only have one in the case where my ENOSC lives. So it might be a struggle. I get what you are saying about the top end tending to dominate (is that harsh or just too bright?) but I think it can be pulled back and tamed without filters. One if the things I discovered quickly is that this thing eats attenuators. If you want subtle, more gentle sounds you really have to dial down the modulation of the various wave shaping inputs.

Is something like this too harsh for your taste? No filters or eq, just some reverb

[/quote]

Umcorp I tried all afternoon to emulate this lovely little piece and couldn't get close (Marbles with EG, Ochd attenuated for the mods). I'm new to modular, a few months. I've had the EnOsc for a few days and I'm struggling with it. The thing I can't understand is how people are modulating the scales or pitches without awful results. It's not diatonic. I tried to do your patch but I would get the Bach Cantata e.g. D-Dm all the time, or worse, with the scales. Any time I've tried to modulate the pitch while staying on a scale I get this kind of Deep Purple bar chord sound. If it's on the major triad in C, for example, when the pitch changes, it doesn't go to Dm, it goes to D, then to E, or G#, all major chords. Very late 60s/early 70s.

When modulating scale, it might go from a Cm to an Amaj7. That could work and sound good but there would have to be some pretty inventive ways of getting from one to the other. This just slams them all together. Cm. Amaj7. Ebmaj7, etc. Even with attenuation, it gets pretty avant garde, not always in a good way. The only way I can see to modulate pitch without Deep Purple or Bartok is to stay on 5ths or octaves.

Having said this, I've heard a lot of great stuff with the EnOsc, so I think I'm just not getting it. I don't know how to use it, or how it's meant to be used.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I don't think there's one single "how it's meant to be used" with this module.

I find without even getting into chords -- just staying on octaves, or octaves+fifths, or Bohlen-Pierce major (which has consistent interval ratios) -- there are all kinds of techniques available for it when droning or sequencing the pitch, and I've gotten some startlingly different results. If there's a characteristic sound that I have been getting from it, it's "string synth" -- but it can go weird static bursts, 808 cymbal noise, a sort of auto-vibrato, all sorts of FM possibilities, pipe organs and sounds that defy description.

I think if you're going for something deliberate and polyphonic, you may have to coordinate scale, root and pitch (and possibly spread) in a sequencer with multiple CV channels. It may help to define your own scales. If you're going to use it as a sort of polyphonic arpeggio machine that might be simpler.

But for something more experimental, there are other routes you can go -- I think the strength of the module is more in new possibilities and discoveries, and in the crossover between pitch in music theory and frequency in sound design, than in traditional music composition.

Personally when I work with ENOSC I'm more likely to think about FM ratios and harmonics than chords and scales, because that's more how I'm inclined. If I wanted to do more traditional music I'd use a polysynth and MIDI sequencing (probably in a DAW).

HughEye
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HughEye » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 pm

starthief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Personally when I work with ENOSC I'm more likely to think about FM ratios and harmonics than chords and scales, because that's more how I'm inclined. If I wanted to do more traditional music I'd use a polysynth and MIDI sequencing (probably in a DAW).
Starthief thanks for your insights. What you describe is my goal with this. I’ve got plenty of virtual instruments and hardware synths, so that’s not my goal, I.e. “making songs.” I want pleasant surprises and experimental soundscapes, occasional atonal is fine. But just not Cm to Amaj7 to Fm7 etc. I see people modulating scale successfully though, and I don’t get it. Or pitch. Or both! But when I do it it sounds like a toddler banging on a piano.

HughEye
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HughEye » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 pm

starthief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm
I don't think there's one single "how it's meant to be used" with this module.
I had to look up Bohlen Pierce major, pretty cool. It brought me to this polychromatic piece, which actually sounds like some of my results with both scale and pitch being modulated.

To me, what makes it accessible is the passing tones. Same with some of the BP stuff like this wonderful song by Elaine Walker. So maybe if I do venture out from 5ths and octaves, do another pass and try to figure out some cool atonal melodies on top of it.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”