Another Granular please help me decide thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Another Granular please help me decide thread

Post by Besfar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:51 am

Heres another one of those help me decide threads.

I really like creeky cranky spooky door opening, gate-needs-oil, old rocking chair, metal churning submarine under 2000 feet kind of sounds - and just surfing around in that space manually or with modulation.

So granular is great, i love granulator 2 in ableton, and i have uburst/clouds and mimeophon.

I would like one module thats specialized for this, with the criteria:
- fun to use and good for live tweaking. Probably the most important
- yield quick results. Dont mind a learning curve though
- good sound quality & preferably low noise floor
- 20 hp or below

My picks are morphagene, nebulae v2 and arbhar.
Morph looks great & seems to be tried and tested for a while. Nebulae seems similar to morphagene but i read its not so fun to use, and arbhar looks and sounds grear but im a bit wary of new flashy things.

So,what would you recommend thats fun, makes creeeaks easily, and is a lot of fun, while having a good enough sound quality to make it to reasonably hifi tracks.

Thanks 🍻

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Another Granular please help me decide thread

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

I have a hard time believing anyone would think Neb2 is hard to use compared to Morphagene. There are a handful of button combos, but in general it’s completely straightforward. It’s the most vanilla of the 3 you mentioned, but sounds great and does what it does very well.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 am

I went from Morphagene to Arbhar and couldn't be happier. Way more fun to tweak live, way easier to process new sounds live (akin to Clouds), huge range of buffer sizes.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:25 am

Arbhar is getting some very positive initial reports, and it’s specifically dedicated to (one particular person’s model of) granular synthesis. If I was in your shoes, I’d be keeping an eye on Arbhar until I either nab it or rule it out.

Morphagene has some granular features, but its scope is maybe broader/generalized, and its focus is explicitly on tape-like splicing, dubbing and manipulation. “Microsounds”.

I suspect both could have distinct roles to play, depending on your process and their relative strengths.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45 am

g0... :tu:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Between Arbhar and Morphagene--I prefer Arbhar for multiple reasons. Morphagene is an excellent module in many respects, but Arbhar has some real advantages--at least for the way I work. Haven't worked with Nebulae, so I can't comment on it.

Sound quality - Arbhar has superior gain staging--input and ouput controls, and the tan(h) circuit that prevents digital clipping. Tremendous clarity, warmth, and low noise floor. Morphagene's auto-gain system is difficult to use during performances, and although it can sound good--the noise floor is noticeably higher, and overall audio quality is lower.

Sound capture - Arbhar's built in electret mic and onset circuit are a revelation for live capture. Fun to use, and very effective--this is a gamechanger. Morphagene has a stereo input, as opposed to the mono input of Arbhar. In practice, this hasn't been an issue for me.

Sample loading and architecture - Morphagene's front-mounted sd card is a lot easier to access than Arbhar's back-mounted usb stick. Morphagene also allows up to 3 min sample reels with up to 99 splices, while Arbhar allows 60 total seconds (in six 10 second layers). Morphagene's design allows easier working with external samples, while Arbhar is more focused on live sample capture. The Arbhar USB sample system has yet to be explained.

Design - Playback and recording are independent on both modules--great feature! There are lots of qualitative design differences that aren't better or worse--just different. It's inexplicably difficult to play back grains on the Morphagene at their original pitch/speed--the setting for 1X playback is unacceptably narrow. Arbhar's ability to gate trigger grains, and balance them against auto-triggered grains is big feature, and allows for a lot of control. Arbhar's ability to continuously control grain envelopes is also major--beautifully playable compared with Morphagene's envelope parameter buried in a file that has to be changed in a text editor.

Effects - Arbhar has a fairly nice reverb, a delay, and stereo panning parameters. The caveat is only one parameter can be used at a time, and they must be controlled by external cv. Still, these are nice extras, and I'm enjoying the reverb.

Both of these are great modules, but Arbhar's addressed some some personal pain points with Morpahgene. Keeping both for now.
Last edited by Hovercraft on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45 am
^^
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:33 pm
Jaypee wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45 am
^^
+2...!

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Guys!
I cant quote you all, but thanks a bunch! :tu:
Great stuff, seems instruo has a winner and im going for that one on your recommendations.
🍻 🍻

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm
Hey, thanks for this write up. Really helps me, and of course it has to be arbhar when you put it like that. Forgot about the microphone, thats cool as feuouk.

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:30 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm
Between Arbhar and Morphagene--I prefer Arbhar for multiple reasons. Morphagene is an excellent module in many respects, but Arbhar has some real advantages--at least for the way I work. Haven't worked with Nebulae, so I can't comment on it.

Sound quality - Arbhar has superior gain staging--input and ouput controls, and the tan(h) circuit that prevents digital clipping. Tremendous clarity, warmth, and low noise floor. Morphagene's auto-gain system is difficult to use during performances, and although it can sound good--the noise floor is noticeably higher, and overall audio quality is lower.

Sound capture - Arbhar's built in electret mic and onset circuit are a revelation for live capture. Fun to use, and very effective--this is a gamechanger. Morphagene has a stereo input, as opposed to the mono input of Arbhar. In practice, this hasn't been an issue for me.

Sample loading and architecture - Morphagene's front-mounted sd card is a lot easier to access than Arbhar's back-mounted usb stick. Morphagene also allows up to 3 min sample reels with up to 99 splices, while Arbhar allows 60 total seconds (in six 10 second layers). Morphagene's design allows easier working with external samples, while Arbhar is more focused on live sample capture. The Arbhar USB sample system has yet to be explained.

Design - Playback and recording are independent on both modules--great feature! There are lots of qualitative design differences that aren't better or worse--just different. It's inexplicably difficult to play back grains on the Morphagene at their original pitch/speed--the setting for 1X playback is unacceptably narrow. Arbhar's ability to gate trigger grains, and balance them against auto-triggered grains is big feature, and allows for a lot of control. Arbhar's ability to continuously control grain envelopes is also major--beautifully playable compared with Morphagene's envelope parameter buried in a file that has to be changed in a text editor.

Effects - Arbhar has a fairly nice reverb, a delay, and stereo panning parameters. The caveat is only one parameter can be used at a time, and they must be controlled by external cv. Still, these are nice extras, and I'm enjoying the reverb.

Both of these are great modules, but Arbhar's addressed some some personal pain points with Morpahgene. Keeping both for now.
Thank you so much for this detailed overview. Definitely going to get the Arbhar now!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm

You're both welcome! I'm doing a granular Arbhar/Morphagene demo next weekend for the dc modular collective, so it's helpful gathering my thoughts. One more thing--the visual feedback on Arbhar is excellent, and supports the playability of the module. Morphagene has sequence of colors to represent splices and reels, but the colors repeat and aren't in any easily remembered order. Arbhar has a separate indicator light and color code for each buffer. Plus, it has a led timeline that shows the location of the record and playback heads, grain length, and grain distribution. in practice, this feedback is enormously helpful.

I think you'll both love the Arbhar. :party:

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:19 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm
You're both welcome! I'm doing a granular Arbhar/Morphagene demo next weekend for the dc modular collective, so it's helpful gathering my thoughts. One more thing--the visual feedback on Arbhar is excellent, and supports the playability of the module. Morphagene has sequence of colors to represent splices and reels, but the colors repeat and aren't in any easily remembered order. Arbhar has a separate indicator light and color code for each buffer. Plus, it has a led timeline that shows the location of the record and playback heads, grain length, and grain distribution. in practice, this feedback is enormously helpful.

I think you'll both love the Arbhar. :party:
:party: :party: :party: :tu:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Is it me or lot of Arbhar demos sound like cloud-ish?

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Is it me or lot of Arbhar demos sound like cloud-ish?
Did you watch this one?

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 am

Hehe Yes. it's exactly this moment where I was like "wow interesting".

Other demos, tbh...hence my question about Cloud.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”