Behringer System 55

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Behringer System 55

Post by SkyWriter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Follow up on RC timing. With emphasis on C.

As previously discussed, the expectation than a 9mm pot is going to faithfully resolve* range of 4-ish decimal magnitudes from 2-ish ms to 10-ish sec is being hard pressed by casual experiment - feeling sorry for the poor intern tasked with twiddling the knobs in the lab. Of the three known types: OEM**, ALPHA, and Bourns, only ALPHA proves to be available in sufficient acceptable tapers, form factor, tapers, and shaft styles - although there are some availability issues, it's not many.

Also, every pot swap has been an improvement!

So, having committed to a somewhat smaller range than original design. While also acknowledging the modern compositional techniques utilizing extended time domains. I am going to implement the three-range Cap switcher logic on the 911 and two-range on the 911A***.
-one solution is to provide all timing logic on board the modules. Drill holes for as many range switches for the module, wire up caps. However, this solution has no features that support a system level architecture. It's an single instance solution. But it works, and is suitable for non-system designers.

-another solution is to provide a shared interface and panel allocation serving a group of modules such as the 993 Trigger and Envelope, which aggregates cabinet level 991 and 991A Trigger assignment. Here a certain area of panel space is reserved for a number of range switches for all programmable timing range devices; 911, 911A, 961 in the cabinet. However, the notion only supports a specific number of devices; say 8, and this is not a general solution outside of the System 10/15/35/55 cabinet normaling. This solution may support other system level aggregation features on panel as well.

-a further solution generalizes Behringers implementation of Moog System cabinet architecture wrt to normaling in the system to reduce the number of patch cables and reduce the number of plug/unplug cycles over the lifetime of the module, by providing a "feature connector" system supporting the original Moog normaling system, while also extending it to support new concepts.
=============
*-a need a generally agreed way/term to express this aspect that manifests as select-ability, selectivity, repeatability, etc... having to nudge the knobs with a gnats breath, the problem of settling time/value. Knob diameter also negative influences this aspect. Minor improvements from marginally larger knobs, or knob with better tactile(s), are impacted by available shaft sizes.

**-Behringer in this case. Moog would be the Inventor, Originator, Founder, et. al.

***-any Trigger delay use case / tricks they want to share that would help narrow or widen the timing target?
Prologue 16 - an adventure worth having!

betovelandia
Common Wiggler

Post by betovelandia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Hey guys if you are struggling to find any Boog modules I am selling some on my Reverb shop: https://reverb.com/shop/betos-shop-2

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm

Three way H/L/M speed switch:
L - 2ms to 1sec
M - 20ms to 10sec ( this is the 'standard' range. It says 2ms on the panel, but you can't get there without ALPHA potentiometers)
H - 200ms to 100sec

Speeds are as approx as 10% parts are.

Well, it does work. But, it doesn't look that great to me. The threaded bushing can't be recessed because of the PCB clearance. I had to snip the solder tails to fit. It's workable, but I'm leaning more toward the switch aggregation panel as I can put some trunking connectors there too. The smilie view hole was for an LED. There isn't room for another toggle since there's a trimmer there.

Actually @betovlandia, the L speed works great on Plaits Speech Synthesis oscillator scanning the Morph param For super slow phenom table scan. :-)
3261CCFD-6678-4DEE-B658-B67BE8628308.jpeg
It looks better without the lock washer. Still there is no 'standard' place to sprinkle toggles on each module. It doesn't fit the visuals. Would rather have one Delay Programming panel, and run ''capacitor' wires to each module location that needs one. 9 would be the standard number of channels System 55; 1 per five 911's, 2 per one 911A, 2 per one 961. The rest can run standard rates.
5915631F-DF3D-434C-9B5E-02A44BAECFD1.jpeg
Of course, once I have this super long mode, I don't know how I've got along without it. :-) the speech synth is a great example a 911 modulated super slow ROM read...... suuuuper slow.

I'll just do the 911 switches, this is cool.
The 911A, I really wanted the FAST mode for what I like to do with it. There's a world of 960 interactions with the 961 that I'll have in the future. It's hard to visually fit two switches in the 911A face plate.

The 961 can get by with just the standard timing with the ALPHA pot.

This is shaping up nicely.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:47 am

SkyWriter wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 pm
faithfully resolve* range of 4-ish decimal magnitudes from 2-ish ms to
*-a need a generally agreed way/term to express this aspect that manifests as select-ability, selectivity, repeatability, etc... having to nudge the knobs with a gnats breath, the problem of settling time/value. Knob diameter also negative influences this aspect. Minor improvements from marginally larger knobs, or knob with better tactile(s), are impacted by available shaft sizes.
"Resolved" used as you did works, and sits well with its related and appropriate term "resolution". I've used "granularity" as an ancillary term when neither of the two others fit as well.
OEM**
**-Behringer in this case. Moog would be the Inventor, Originator, Founder, et. al.
Perfect place for OG=moog. ;) OEM=Behringer
-a further solution generalizes Behringers implementation of Moog System cabinet architecture wrt to normaling in the system to reduce the number of patch cables and reduce the number of plug/unplug cycles over the lifetime of the module, by providing a "feature connector" system supporting the original Moog normaling system, while also extending it to support new concepts.
Missing out providing some 'easy' means for typical moog normalling is to me one of the greatest fails of this module offering. Solving that in some 'easy-as-reasonably-possible' way would be a boon to present and future owners. I understand why Behringer made the choice they did, but dang I wish they'd have given consideration for at least putting the normals on the rear of the PCB for those who want to use them.

Barring that, even a good documentation of where they are on each module and *if* any ARE easily used. would be a *very* useful tool.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:14 am

SkyWriter wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm
Well, it does work. But, it doesn't look that great to me. The threaded bushing can't be recessed because of the PCB clearance. I had to snip the solder tails to fit. It's workable, but I'm leaning more toward the switch aggregation panel as I can put some trunking connectors there too. The smilie view hole was for an LED. There isn't room for another toggle since there's a trimmer there.
Did you use miniature or sub-miniature TOGLs? 1/4" 6,35mm hole or 3/16" 4,8mm ?
Submini's are significantly smaller behind the panel, and not too much smaller toggle bat. So they can solve a lot of these kinds of problems. BUT YOU HAVE TO USE GOOD ONES.<--Intentional shouting. You can get away with lesser quality mini toggles far better than you will with the poor QC subminis.
Actually @betovlandia, the L speed works great on Plaits Speech Synthesis oscillator scanning the Morph param For super slow phenom table scan. :-)
All things considered, I think your chosen ranges look good.
It looks better without the lock washer.
Depends which lock washer? There's a thread in the DIY section where I attempted to clarify some apparently widespread misinformation about toggle switch hardware 'stackup'. You shouldn't even notice the single cut lockwasher, which is the ONLY one that should be on the front side of the panel. Its OD is smaller than the nut flats. On decent quality switches. Cheap switches scrimp on providing all the expected hardware and the dimensions for those they do are often largish 'caricatures' of the proper hardware. Don't even need the single-cut LW if you use anaerobic threadlocker. Purple's the right strength for this use. Don't use RED!

Getting back to something you wrote up above. The pivot point for short bushing toggles and long bushing toggles is the same. That means you can cut the long bushings shorter if you can't afford an MOQ of the shorter bushing style. Somewhere I've got a little hand-operated tool I made for that purpose using a lathe parting tool blade set up like a tubing cutter. But with a steel collar -made from a standard 1/4" shaft collar w/setscrew- instead of rollers. Made quick short work of shortening bushings on mini toggles. One down side of this can be if the bushings are plated brass, you see the yellow band. A quick dip in PCB tinning solution is a partial fix. Finish dress nuts another. Swedish dress nuts being yellow -after the national colors- don't help much. ;)
Still there is no 'standard' place to sprinkle toggles on each module. It doesn't fit the visuals.
Yes, it's hard to get good visuals on some mods. You have to ask yourself what's really important here?
And.. There are ways. The shorter bushing just above for one. A black nut and other hardware. But easiest and quite unifying is simply using a black or white plastic toggle switch cover. Of the old type used on ARPs and Buchlas.

I can certainly see the value of a system designed panel though. I'd want to use rockers like the rest of the modules in that case. As to whether central location for this is better or worse than toggles per module? Individual decision. I'd favor switches on individual modules for more universal application. But I can see where each might have strong reasons to choose it over the other.
This is shaping up nicely.
Yes it is. Thank you for taking us all along with your journey!

mmckenzie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmckenzie » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:08 am

Just a thought, but has anyone emailed ALPHA to ask who might stock the C50K pot?
I'm guessing nobody wants to order 1000 of them :-)

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 am

@KSS,
Looking through data sheets for sub-miniature toggles: The long pole in the tent seems to be the 8.64mm switch body depth - in a 12mm depth between panel and PCB. The termination style determines the remaining depth - and I snipped the TH legs down.

Bushing and bat styles can shorten it up a bit. The bats look like 9.40mm. There is a shorter bushing style 5.59mm instead of the 9mm I have. It would match the OEM length, I can use a 10-48 hole instead of 0.25inch if it's threaded. But it still needs to be threaded for strain relief.

Yeah, I wanted to put something to keep it from turning for now, and there's little clearance to put the washer behind, where it is supposed to go :-).

Personally, I like the switch panel esthetics eurorack, better ergonomics. If slide switches were used it would matchup to the 992/993 panel style, but I'm not up for silk screening a panel for this case - so a module level solution works here. I'm sizing up a full System 55 style / Complement B setup in a custom 168HP wood paneled cabinet, with all the normalizing features inside an open back build. I'm leaning toward a 4 voice paraphonic build with a Yarns MIDI interface w/o the 3 controller bus. I would use a switch panel for that build instead.

The switch panel design has the least modification of all timing modules. You can fabricate the whole feature in one panel and use a simple internal 2 pin connector inside the cabinet to tie in any module with a this timing on it. Alternatively, you have to irrevocably modify each module independently.

The important thing is to get it working and have fun! So, I have two FAST ALPHA, two Standard ALPHA's, and a three range ALPHA. I wasn't thinking and pulled the last 05C105's without any A1M's, so I don't have an OEM style left for videos. Not good at videos anyway. But I'll rig up an audio demo that might help envision the payback for the work. My big Thonk order is on it's way, early next week parts will be flying!

@mmckenzie, amplified parts (https://www.amplifiedparts.com/) carries the solid shaft version. I used that with a set screw style knob. It's worth the mismatched knobs. 923 is much better now.

=============
@KSS ordered 2MS3T1B3M2QES, shorter bushing - still threaded. Other than the nut, the bushing and bat length match now. The orientation and switch settings, match doepfer's speed style with it's H/L/M horz orientation, at least. I also matched it's switch panel location to fit in. I think I'll leave the 911A as a FAST only device, or program one delay to be FAST and the other normal. The 961 only gets an ALPHA upgrade, timing is fine there as it (seems as if) geared for the 960's 90% gate length.

The 168 HP cabinet will have the switch panel option with non-thread bushings for all - including 911A and 961's. Epoxy 'em in if I have too :-)

-----------------
If my babbling about the 960's 0-2 fold back sounds odd, it may be because the knobs actually go 0->1->2, instead on 0->10, like I thought. It's an unfamiliar piece of gear for me. This is my first 960 - ready for two! I use them for off-beat stuff, never for notes. Having a quantizer seems to fixate the things for notes only. Maybe that's too western.
============
[bi]As one should expect using 'off the shelf' parts, tolerances are pretty bad. I have between 10%-50% variation 911 to 911 at different points along the dial Sometimes they're close, others.. well not so much. Overall variation between 911's can be on the same order as the miss-fit between ALPHA and face plate. I think the 'match the dial' battle is over. Paraphrasing @KSS the parts don't exist anymore. That's fine, look and feel is OK - and with what we learned from there we used to extend the overall range of the part too. Might be worth binning these caps to minimize variation.
------------------
Of the three speeds, I use standard .... the least! :-)

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Anyone know the frequency range of the 921 and 921b?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Links to both the moog and Behringer spec sheets are listed earlier in the thread?

boog 921B spc sheet says less than 1Hz to more than 40KHz.

boog921 has this:
Sub-audio range, typically 0.01 Hz to 800 Hz
Audio range, typically 1 Hz to 80 kHz

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm

And that's with added control voltage, not just from panel knobs.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:14 am

Ugh, the B921 I was going to take measurements from to adjust the sine and triangle symmetry is DOA. This is the second module (out of 25) I had an issue with, although the first was a marginal test escape.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am

Is Plan B heading up the engineering and production of these or what? Geez...

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:53 am

So the Behringer quality control is somewhat dire with these modules? I'm now rethinking the 100m purchases and thinking if I should just go for a system 500.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Idk, I could make anything look bad doing what I do. These have been very good for me. I'm psyched to be working on these :0)

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm

From what I've read over the years, everyone has issues cloning 900-series modules to an extent. The schematics don't match actual production modules, and often the way individual discrete component values have to be tweaked or matched to get a module in spec were never documented for the public. People reissuing vintage Buchla have the same kind of problems. For whatever reason, Bob and Don designed them that way. Add garbage bottom dollar components into the mix, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I have a feeling though that the 100m is going to have less issues just because it uses a design that originally was meant to be mass-produced.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:14 pm

I'm here simply to make life easier for folks that want to take this product to the next level - whatever that is! :-)

Got more parts from Thonk today. There's a very nifty knob that you can get in solid, d-shaft, and t18 that has the silver top style and moog knurling. Available in a couple of sizes that's quite a bit larger. Increasing angular resolution is always better. You can mismatch the sizes with same style as you like. Sadly, they're a little loose on the OEM shaft.

Will be trying out out these value ALPHA pots now: B5K, B50K, B25K, and the A25K. That's every type of potentiometer in the product line. The selectivity is especially useful on tuning and, at least one, CV amplitude processing element in the chain - so 921 AUX, and Esus... going to have to start marking knobs :-)

More toggles tomorrow. @KSS I did use a subminiature before. It's a darn tight space. Just the bushing was too long once I saw what it looked like. Actually, come to think of it, I probably didn't need a threaded bushing. A bit of lock tight on the body of the toggle against the front panel would do it, the rest a foam sandwich between the PCB and toggle connector. Oh well!

Also, got a cap meter to measure caps. If I can trim them out to 2-3% it would be better. Random sampling is giving me rather diversions. The spec sheet on the pot was what... 20-30%? I couldn't tell with the chinese, seems high.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Here’s an updated Where Used sheet for potentiometers. The knob assignment is read left to right as they appear in their respective columns.
BF20A2EF-3915-49B3-AD6A-99C80FBC5604.jpeg
I have done all the 05A105 (A1M) replacements. Everyone worth it. Also, the 05C503 o the 823 module also very mouth an improvement. These are the primary Timing and Frequency ‘gotchas’ that suffer from the EOT issues. I didn’t really find any other EOT issues that had to be addressed. The remaining uses cases aren’t vulnerable to full CW and CCW value discontinuities.

The ALPHA pots also offer superior selectivity and settling time, so they are appropriate for direct Frequency adjustments, and anywhere where the absolutely magnitude isn’t important, but the instantaneous value must be attainable without resorting to nudging the dial. I also want to do a complete 914 and 960. The feedback tests on the 914 evidenced a difficulty in dialing in just the right feedback. I thought is was unstable feedback issue, rather it’s the pots. 960 pots should also see an improvement in certain use cases.

So increasing the knob size and potentiometer performance should help these matters. Here are the two best candidate knobs and the OEM.

This is the best, it’s 16mm is in the handle area, and not the skirt. It’s available in T18, D-Shaft and Solid. I have these on my C50K pots.
F5A198F4-27A1-41CC-9A3A-52EF860259ED.jpeg
This is about 14mm, still better in the handling area, no skirt waste.
CA7040F5-28ED-4261-8AA1-64FDE2D79348.jpeg
Here’s the OEM, by far the thinnest at about 12-13mm.
3FEACA7D-F6DC-4AF0-B29E-F567F09C4B05.jpeg
I’m going to replace most my knobs with the first one - it just covers the venier markings on the face plates. But the numbers are still visible. The other one, while a mechanical improvement, it looks too different to me. I’ll order more, and get some shots for folks to decide what they might like.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Hmm, found a fanout limitation in the S-trig. Fanning one V-trig to S-trig convertor output out to five 911's. One 911 will re-trigger at the end of cycle. Probably can't pull it down with that much load, and it's re-triggering on crosstalk somewhere. Now, I want to put re-triggering feature in the 911's. Lol!

Eh, it's gone now. Gives me an idea though. :-)

mmckenzie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmckenzie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am

SkyWriter wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm
Here’s an updated Where Used sheet for potentiometers. The knob assignment is read left to right as they appear in their respective columns.
Well. My 1M Alpha pots arrived today and I changed my first 911-T1.

It's so good to have a bit more resolution between off and 10ms!

I can't say I enjoyed the process though, and narrowly avoided trashing a SMD cap whilst prizing out the pot so I might just change the T1s in the first instance and the two on the 911A.

Still after I've changed a couple I should be able to do it in my sleep. I'm certainly dreaming about Moog modules at the moment.

I'm also considering making a CP35 which is 24HP wide so it and the CP3A-O sit nicely under the 921A-921B-921B-921B combination. Or am I confusing aesthetics with practicalities - especially it it will have to have non-matching knobs...

My additional two 911s are arriving today, so I might be about to experience your S-trig troubles. Good to have a heads up.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 am

IIRC, these A1M's can be between 10-25%* taper, with a whopping 30% variation in total resistance - not that I've seen that, but small samples often only have small surprises. Add the Capacitance variation and 5000:1 use case; and I have a good case for parts binning if I expect to hit these front panel markings. Lol!

If you can sacrifice long attack/decays I really like the expanded fast attack space that cap smaller will provide.

I like decade caps so I can use the same mental translation for all ranges.

*-this is the part that seems to make that low end hard to hit - although without knowing the exact deposition process it's hard to make extrapolations. The residual resistance spec says that the low end R can be as high as 1K - which works out to 10-20ms (I think). Using a small cap moves that down into the couple of millisecond range.
3D54449A-E652-447A-A754-13E46BF7D95D.jpeg

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 am

mmckenzie wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am
I'm also considering making a CP35 which is 24HP wide so it and the CP3A-O sit nicely under the 921A-921B-921B-921B combination. Or am I confusing aesthetics with practicalities - especially it it will have to have non-matching knobs...

My additional two 911s are arriving today, so I might be about to experience your S-trig troubles. Good to have a heads up.
At first I was cursing the mixed mod-8HP and mod-7HP at first, then after much tetris-ing it started to work out pretty interestingly. The two 21HP and a 14HP equal the 56HP of the sequencer. The 28 of the 914 is two mixers or LFO's. Or two 14's and a 4 equals four 8HP's.

Of course, I would have welcomed the extra couple of HP to even it all out to mod-8HP, but this works too. :-)

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:25 pm

Wow, I thought I had the smallest the first time. @KSS this is going to fit nicely! Can even afford wire lug termination, or bury that bushing... but not both.
E8149C5E-A714-4C04-8FB5-2E87A7342F74.jpeg

mmckenzie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmckenzie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:03 pm

mmckenzie wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am
They've arrived!

And the UPS driver (touring theatrical LX technician in a pre Covid life) gave me a good desoldering tip. Put a bit of heat shrink on the end of the solder sucker and it seals better and sucks better! And so it does...

All the T1 pots changed on the 911s. I managed to lift a track on the 911a, but I seem to have got away with it for the moment.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Lol! That's a good one! I think I saw it done in the past too. I prefer a new tip at that point :-)

The circuit is pretty for giving, terminal 2-3 are tied together so you can always grab which ever one you lost by using the other leg (don't forget to bridge if you lose terminal 2. And the other side you can grab from the timing cap, or another leg of a T pot. Lots of metal to throw wires on around there too.

With these sub-miniatures, fitting the timing switch in is a snap in the stock space. I'm going to bin some caps tonight and see what I can get done this week. Got a 2nd small order of B25K D-shafts to try too.

SkyWriter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Sub-mini fit's much better. But there's not a lot of places to put them. Of the two the lower one is better - more black space around it. The top space is too close to silk screening. I need some more front panels... lol! I'm more of a crapsman than a craftsman when it comes to materials. Hopefully I can get five done without changing my mind after first two.

This one has an ALPHA B25K for Esus. Will be evaluating these closely - cause there's a looOOooot of these.
46A04B0E-63BB-4C43-9840-26D3D405820F.jpeg
A4B04A8F-F038-4216-9FD5-D3CC95D6D014.jpeg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”