Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Post by twistedneck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:17 am

If we were buying a single origin eurorack who makes the most aesthetically pleasing one? and Why? What things differentiate these modules? textures, colors, knob size and type, fonts, applied vs laser etched, painted, blank panels.. I'm looking to get one of the big heavy hitter full racks by a single maker and its just 100% based on how cool it looks.

Ideas?

So far I've been taken in with the red and black of a full Befaco system reminds me of Dante's Inferno.

Instruo is next up with the super gorgeous blank panels too. that 1977 Trans am gold and black :)

Then we have the ultra cool orange and aluminum look of Industrial Music Electronics Mk III series modules all stacked in one.

I found the Pittsburgh Modular new black panel series super gorgeous especially with their matching dark wood cases.

Make Noise of course if you dig their aesthetic, then you have the very awesome Mutable Instruments look all of them in one would be so nice, a $$$ Verbose dark orange and silver / black system would also float my boat. And the king of all the Erica Synths all black bad boy setup.

There are some very awesome sounding setups that IMO do not have that super pleasing to the eye thing.. my favorite sounding modules look like total crap to me but I still love them. But this one has to be jaw dropping visually.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Post by windchill » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:26 am

If you'd asked me a few years ago it would have been a Make Noise Black and Gold shared system but my aesthetics have completely changed. Now my visual ideal (and a lot of my system) is Random Source Serge Euro.

The simplicity, clarity, and space is wonderful.

I love the panel colour, the DAVIES 1900H style knobs, the sub-miniature toggle switches, the font, the simple colour coding on the jacks, the minimal use of LEDs.

The main thing that makes the R*S design so special however is the consistent grid. All the modules follow the same grid which means that the entire system lines up in the most striking way. From module to module the switches, knobs, and jacks always conform to the simple pattern. I've come to realise that this is a thing of beauty. Even superficially similar simple designs, Intellijel, Pittsburgh, Verbos, etc, will break out of the grid.

It comes at a cost of course, the R*S modules are not small, but that's part of the aesthetic, and something I've grown to appreciate.

I understand that I'm likely in the minority here, and that many will find this look dull or ugly, but it works for me.

Here's a (rather poor) quick snapshot of some of my system.
IMG_20200201_113017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

melodydad
Muffuselah

Post by melodydad » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 am

I think if I was to go down the single origin route it would probably be AJH - alas not available when I began my journey through the Eurorack moneypit.

Although not Eurorack my fave from an aesthetic point of view would be the blue Wiard 300 modules - beautiful
:wiard:
. . . we better let him in . . . . . he's got a Theremin . . . (HMHB: 'Look Dad No Tunes')

bitSmasher
Common Wiggler

Post by bitSmasher » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:25 am

Elby.
Much like the reasons put forward for R*S above, it's all functional and well laid out.
I do like Erica otherwise, for all black... and NLC for all white.

sallowworm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sallowworm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 am

Another shout out for AJH and Wiard 300. Although there is something about a big wall of Doepfer that I quite like

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am

windchill wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:26 am
If you'd asked me a few years ago it would have been a Make Noise Black and Gold shared system but my aesthetics have completely changed. Now my visual ideal (and a lot of my system) is Random Source Serge Euro.

The simplicity, clarity, and space is wonderful.

I love the panel colour, the DAVIES 1900H style knobs, the sub-miniature toggle switches, the font, the simple colour coding on the jacks, the minimal use of LEDs.

The main thing that makes the R*S design so special however is the consistent grid. All the modules follow the same grid which means that the entire system lines up in the most striking way. From module to module the switches, knobs, and jacks always conform to the simple pattern. I've come to realise that this is a thing of beauty. Even superficially similar simple designs, Intellijel, Pittsburgh, Verbos, etc, will break out of the grid.

It comes at a cost of course, the R*S modules are not small, but that's part of the aesthetic, and something I've grown to appreciate.

I understand that I'm likely in the minority here, and that many will find this look dull or ugly, but it works for me.

Here's a (rather poor) quick snapshot of some of my system.

IMG_20200201_113017.jpg
I feel what you are saying windchill about the visual clean beauty of the Serge i didn't even realize it was out there. I too like it and thanks for showing a picture of it.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:34 am

melodydad wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 am
I think if I was to go down the single origin route it would probably be AJH - alas not available when I began my journey through the Eurorack moneypit.

Although not Eurorack my fave from an aesthetic point of view would be the blue Wiard 300 modules - beautiful
:wiard:
melodydad why do i not know more about these? They do look expensive but so do the Serge ones. i guess that is part of it the precision craftsmanship that looks pricey. And the Wiard ones too they have taste and style. did they make enough for a full dedicated case?

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 am

Why not Doepfer? For the sheer range of modules
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm

windchill wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:26 am

I'm rather a fan of the R*S EuroSerge aesthetic as well, which is good since I have a fair pile of them.

Instruō also has a great aesthetic, without being too busy and confusing; like, for example, Make Noise or Blue Lantern.

Pittsburgh Lifeforms has a rather pleasant look, as does Joranalogue; either of these would be great as a single-manufacturer system. Not as big a fan of the Verbos red-and-black or Erica all-black looks. Not really a fan of the all-black look in general, actually (which I realize will likely get my Goth card revoked).

While I love Doepfer modules, they look a little too much like old lab equipment to be truly aesthetically pleasing to me. Still, I can understand why others would find the look attractive.

For manufacturers that don't do enough modules to make a full synth, my personal favorites are Rabid Elephant, Omsonic, and Xaoc Devices. All look amazing, great design, while still being clear and intuitive to use.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:25 pm

batch wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 am
Why not Doepfer? For the sheer range of modules
This. Plus I dig the look actually. All my modules are silver; combined with the wooden frame of my enclosure I feel the aesthetic lands somewhere between lab equipment and 70's hi-fi. I don't plan on straying from this as I like the impression of a unified instrument it gives, although I'm not going as far as sticking strictly to one manufacturer. The combination of Doepfer and Ladik with a small sprinkling of ALM and Mutable Instruments which I have planned should look fairly uniform and cohesive.

There was a time when I wanted a modular which was deliberately mismatched and no module touched a module of the same colour. But I think I was just spoiled for choice on Modular Grid.
Avant Garde a clue

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Verbos.

Thickest panels in eurorack, laaaarge modules that are great for wiggling, best typefont and Rogans make everything sound better.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Cwejman by a long shot

:slapfight:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm
Verbos.

Thickest panels in eurorack, laaaarge modules that are great for wiggling, best typefont and Rogans make everything sound better.
Yeah Verbos. Never used them but they got the looks--something between test equipment and mid century modernist consumer goods. Plus consistent fonts, clear layout and labels, and good spacing.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:07 pm

why are you only interested in the aesthetics as opposed to the functions?
TOO FAR GONE

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:30 pm

R&S. Doepfer. Cwejman...and frap tools!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:50 pm

Bought several R*S Serge Euro modules as kits last year and I'd agree with what has already been said in terms of the elegant looks and "consistent grid" making for something visually pleasing.

Having started way back with the first Euro manufacturers, I've always appreciated a clear, practical and spacious layout aesthetic over anything too cramped, showy or cryptic. Having said that, the Erogenous Tones panels manage to combine higher density with quite pleasing looks to my tastes, though their choice of title fonts could have been less heavy and more refined. Aluminium finish panels seem to be visually clearer as well. A substantial Analogue Systems case has a very pleasing yet unpretentious lab type aesthetic (very spare on the LEDs) and again there's that open grid alignment thing going on. Doepfer and L-1 synths are also quite nice to look at.

Along with the looks these systems, particularly R*S Serge and Analogue Systems, sound wonderful!

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:17 am
But this one has to be jaw dropping visually.
you'll find your synth on 7th AVE
btwn 33rd -41st street
10001 & 10018
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:07 pm

A lot of systems look pretty nice if it's all one manufacturer in a case, but my favs would be IME, Frap Tools and probably Intellijel as my overall favorite look, a balance of colorful in a somewhat reserved sense, that and the color photometal details (I really hope they don't move away from that as they were considering).

Instruo I'm kind of on the fence about as a whole, sometimes I love it sometimes it's a bit over-wrought, it depends on the module - for example I find Ceis pretty damn ugly, Cs-L is really crowded, but Harmonaig and Arbhar are complete works of art. Ironically I have Ceis (two of them actually) and Cs-L but not the latter two, maybe some day though.

Qu-bit stuff in all-black also looks really nice I think, due to the spacing and nice bright thick white lines/fonts. Something about all-Doepfer looks really serious (like lab equipment), formal and mature and for some reason I find all-Doepfer some of the most appealing cases around, probably for similar reasons people like R*S Serge (which is also surprisingly nice-looking) - the open spacing on the panels and the unified scheme for knobs.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 pm

XAOC
*phnert*

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm

chalk one more here for serge.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25 pm

I like several. In no particular order:

Verbos
Instruo
Make Noise
R*S Serge
The Pittsburgh VRL livery/series
Grayscale anything
Doepfer Vintage black
Doepfer silver
etc

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:07 pm
why are you only interested in the aesthetics as opposed to the functions?
Hey Red Electric Rainbow, my goal here is to depart from my usual function over form at all costs mentality and bring in some visual art.

After looking at how beautiful these single origin racks are i must have one. They are so damn expensive i can only have one! ok maybe two. The first one that drove me crazy is the Red, white, and black Befaco it looks mechanical and artistic like its a fine swiss (Spanish in this case) analog watch.

I've also been very happy with this thread i never considered Serge stuff before and now its growing on me fast. Always wanted the Verbos stuff too.. Strange how nobody has brought up Buchla yet. That is a special treat and the aesthetic is polarizing for sure.

one thing i dig a lot is the EMS /Eric Syntrix.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:42 am

Severed head wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:17 am
But this one has to be jaw dropping visually.
you'll find your synth on 7th AVE
btwn 33rd -41st street
10001 & 10018
I drove virtually up and down 7th AVE and its pretty damn nice.. can you elaborate a little? Why that specific area?

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:56 am

I actually really like the look of real Mutable Instruments modules- especially the discreet spot colour and negative space where it counts. Maybe that's not an exotic choice, but they really are nice. There's something quietly satisfying about the understated and unfussy design- it always feels like care went into the layout for wiggling enjoyment.

On the other hand, I dislike the edgelord tripping spider aesthetic of Make Noise stuff, it's very jangly and busy. I really need to get around to finding a new panel for my Maths- great module, slapdash-looking graphics.

Of course, my little system is just a mess of what I could cram in there, in whichever colour was cheapest/in stock. If time and money were unlimited, however...

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 am

I’m liking the look of my Buchla Red Panel rack, so far, though perhaps not so much the Red Panel logo itself.
DED4BBEF-B1BF-4BC5-9133-3DE545D96DBC.jpeg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”