Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Post by Whelm » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am

I can hardly believe no one has said it yet. For me, there is no competition: the best looking panels in Euro come from Zlob

I think an all Zlob system would be on the cramped side but it would look gorgeous.

Brian2020
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brian2020 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 am

Ebotronix wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:54 pm
Sputnik Modular System

Ebotronix I wholeheartedly agree. I filled my first 6U case with Sputnik (plus a few others). Had to track down all of their modules and would really like to have doubles of many of them on day. Fun to play and a treat to look at.

I also really like the aesthetics and sounds of Verbos, Malekko Wiard, Make Noise, and The Harvestman/Industrial Music Electronics.

If this wasn’t confined to eurorack only I would say Buchla has my absolute favorite aesthetics (and sound) plus I’m also very fond of Bug Brand.

Below pictured are my Music Easel, a friends Sputnik set up in two 7U Intellijel Performance Cases, and my Sputnik 6U case (don’t ask why that red stackable is patched between 2 outputs :doh: ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brian2020 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:21 am

Dennis wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 am
btw, all named brands offer insane aesthetics :yay:
This is what I love about the guitar industry, and what is really becoming a wonderful aspect of Eurorack, and modular synths in general. Aesthetics have a considerable impact on your connection with an instrument. I have several guitars - Rickenbackers, Fenders, PRS, and a few more. Of course each has its own unique sound. But, when I play each one - I play differently. I am inspired by the look and feel as well as the sound.

With modular - ergonomics play a huge part. Each module has a story - how they were designed. The care taken by the designer in building them. The cultural differences of the designers. Choices made in the circuitry, voltage control, workflow, and layout.
My modular is a mix of Frap Tools, Instruo, Intellijel, Mutable, Make Noise and a few others...
Each module speaks of it's designers - Simone Fabbri, Jason Lim, Danjel van Tijn, Émilie Gillet, Tony Rolando - each one has imparted their personality on these modules.
These are not mass-produced, utilitarian devices. These are works of art.
When someone here posts a pic of a Verbos system - you can hear it. It's that Mark Verbos sound. And if you've patched a Verbos module - you know that feeling. My Plaits has a similar 'feel' as my first Shruthi way back then (wish I hadn't sold all of them). Buchla... damn. This goes beyond aesthetics.

No offence to the big synth manufacturers - but My old Korg Wavestation AD, Yamaha TG77, Akai S2000, and many others just didn't (some still don't) have the same level of designer influence. These are utilitarian devices. They have brand identity - sure... some have better workflow, a lot of them make great sounds - but they don't have the same passion as so many of the eurorack designers put into these modules.

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Whelm wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am
I can hardly believe no one has said it yet. For me, there is no competition: the best looking panels in Euro come from Zlob

I think an all Zlob system would be on the cramped side but it would look gorgeous.
Yeah, I like the detailed Zlob panels too. Interesting how the look has evolved with the blue panels now discontinued and followed by black panels with red or white.
zlob_red_black_blue.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:22 pm

+1 for Frap Tools. I like the thinking behind their aesthetic. Minimal textual clutter, and the idea that as a musician, you should know your instrument on an instinctive level.
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 pm

dksynth wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm
chalk one more here for serge.....

Can I has Function Generators? :miley: :miley: :miley: :miley:

You really can't lose either way. As you can see I'm deeeep in a B&G system of primarily Make Noise + Mutable. My main sound sources are DPO, Braids, Rings, Phonogene... and they're awesome. Part of me dreams about having a more simple R*S system and their more focus driven oscillators and then exploring tons of modulating/ ringmod type stuff with multipliers and DUSG.

But the fact of the matter is, in my system for example you can do a ton of stuff in Serge ethos simply using Maths and ModDemix. When you have a really powerful oscillator like DPO it's so easy easy to skip ahead to the next part of your sound design, but you can, and really should, think about how Maths and ModDemix can add further layers of complexity to DPOs sound. IMO, after extending himself far, too far on modules, I can say that if you know what you're doing, 208hp of even the most basic modules, so long as you have functions/ logic/ VCAs... you can make some crazy sounds if you keep wigglin

tldr: B&G but also want that R*S euro system some day
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:23 am

erica synths !

classic black
red

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:31 am

That one are for guitar players.
red wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:23 am
erica synths !

classic black
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 pm

I allways get horny when looking at verbos systems :hyper:
never owned one verbos module because that will be an expensive road

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! SO TRUE!!!!.....

Wait.... I AM a guitar player.....
Oh well.. but it's so true. I wanted to escape that "one pedal, one knob" thing so bad, I built a huge 16U rack mount guitar rig with an Eventide H8000 as the centrepiece a few years back...
Then I finally cracked... sold most of that and built my Eurorack. Never. Ever. Looking. Back.
StillNotWorking wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:31 am
That one are for guitar players.
red wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:23 am

erica synths !

classic black

IP
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IP » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:44 am

Stice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stice » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Livestock and Feedback are surprise contenders here, they look great. Frap Tools looks nice.

But I think Intellijel is the winner. Something so classy and simple about it.

boom blip
Common Wiggler

Post by boom blip » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:57 pm

I like this thread because it really shows how divergent tastes can be, some of this stuff is fucking horrendous looking to me and I appreciate that.

I definitely hadn't appreciated intelligel's aesthetic fully tho until this thread.

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Always been more partial to the more clinical lab equipment functional aesthetic of stuff like doepfer or intellijel. Serge and Buchla are also great... I have a maths and have gotten used to the panel layout but ive also refrained from buying Loquelic Iteratis mostly due to the aesthetic even though it looks like an interesting module. Also gotta say the new TipTop look feels very Sesame Street and I preferred the original look :-D

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 am

my favourites:
frap
verbos
xaoc
makenoise
intellijel

serge is also super classy with all that uniform and clean alluminium
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 am

I love em all but if money and availability are no object...

Livewire - that look is what was in my mind when I thought of modular synths before I started!

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

97213 years and 59763 eurorack manufacturers later I dare to say...

Doepfer
doepfer-workshop-01.jpg
:hail: :eurorack:

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:47 am

If I was going to do this I would choose a company that uses well spaced modules that have nice big knobs. The Pittsburgh knobs (especially the big ones are so nice to turn with one finger). But I'm sure that some companies are even better. This giant knob on my Pittsburgh is slightly non-round and you can see this while you rotate it. Verbos looks really good and precise but I haven't used.

Also if I was aiming for a 6u or 7u case I'd probably consider a company that has modules with patchpoints on top.

Modules designed for the bottom row of your case?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”