Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:17 am

For me only Roland/Malekko. It looks classic like a mix of Roland system 700 and 100m. And it looks like a tiny moog modular :mrgreen:
D1D7A542-4D25-4F29-A11F-2F75383FFE10.jpeg
But nowadays i have got a Mordax data in the system. Because i am weak :miley:
67B6D2BE-EDF3-406C-B2F3-2ED7E280FB31.jpeg
But the Mordax will be the only one. :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 am

no asys lovers?
thumbnail.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 am

I vote Doepfer. Love love love that unified grayscale industrial look.

:doepfer: :oldmanureuro: :eurorack:

Yes, I've got Verbos, Make Noise, Erica Synths and many other cool brands too, but an all-Doepfer system is still my favourite when it comes to aesthetics.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 am

mgscheue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 am
I’m liking the look of my Buchla Red Panel rack, so far, though perhaps not so much the Red Panel logo itself.
The layout's great, but agree on the logo- plus saying "RED PANEL" on what appears to be a white panel is a bit "THIS CARD IS GREEN".

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 am

I still like the old Bastl wooden panels, and I also find the new aluminum ones attractive.

XAOC and the Erica Fusion panels also look great to me.

But honestly, if you're going purely on visual aesthetics, maybe you should be looking at 5U modules. I recently had a chance to try out a small MU system (the Moog Model10 that they now have on display at the Moog factory store), and the tactile experience of playing the synth just felt good. There was lots of space, the jacks felt nice, it had a sense of presence. I've never used (or even heard in person) one, but you can buy pre-curated Moon Modular systems in an 8U-wide Tolex-style case for not too many more :75: (in modular synth terms) than a Shared System would cost you. I'm not suggesting that this is the best way to go, but if you're going strictly on looks -- and not even taking functionality into consideration -- that might be something to consider. I think noisebug carries the Moon modular stuff.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:58 am

Another vote for Instruo here.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am

Black LC9 fully loaded with Doepfer

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am

I find Verbos to be profoundly beautiful. Never owned any of their modules (yet?) but hear only great stuff about them.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:05 am

Curious why random*source users would choose euro over 4U bananas if they weren’t mixing their systems with other euro.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 am

PhineasFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 am
no asys lovers?

thumbnail.jpeg
Yeah. Already posted about my affections earlier in this thread. My Asys stuff has been slowly accumulating over the years via sporadic second-hand purchases. The modules are still awaiting appropriately enlarged DIY cases and several extra modules have been secured since snapping this "let's see what I've amassed so far" picture over a year ago. Since then I've acquired two RS-15 PSU assemblies in readiness for two four-row 19" width DIY cases... I just like that relatively open and spacious lab equipment look with the grid alignment factor.

The 'classic' analogue sound of this system was much better than anticipated :love:

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:17 pm

As far as I like the classical R*S layout i somehow find the approach with the line of Elby recreations more appealing for me. I sketched a row of EuroSerge modules for my system a while ago but haven't found the two grand yet to order them.
elby.jpeg

..other then these I really like Mungo :hide:

Frap Tools, Bubblesound, Cwejman and Bluelantern all got some optical attractions that make me wanna (can't) touch this.
Ladik in it's own way defines probably sort of an own aesthetic in future times.

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 pm

mgscheue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 am
I’m liking the look of my Buchla Red Panel rack, so far, though perhaps not so much the Red Panel logo itself.
ha, you had ONE JOB, Red Panel...

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:15 pm

wiperactive wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 am
PhineasFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 am
no asys lovers?
...My Asys stuff has been slowly accumulating over the years via sporadic second-hand purchases. The modules are still awaiting appropriately enlarged DIY cases...
mine was all second hand purchases too - including a couple that required sending back to the cutely named cottage in devon or wherever that the god of asys lurks and does repairs etc to hardworked/underloved asys modules

my case is a 104hp - fits the mix of 6/12/24hp modules with a little extra hp gap at the ends to allow some airflow just incase cooling is necessary...

since schneiders wont sell psu's without cases i had to get custom power built by tony at synovatron and then the magical mr lamond who built my cases got the fun of fitting said power setup - but its an absolute charm to own now its all built and in use :]
wiperactive wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 am
I just like that relatively open and spacious lab equipment look with the grid alignment factor.

The 'classic' analogue sound of this system was much better than anticipated :love:
cant agree more about the sound - and its not just that the modules play well together in the sense of ergonmics and layout etc, its the things like being able to crank any output to the level of overdriving/saturating the next etc - so you can really make the vca's and filters growl, etc etc etc
slumberjack wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:17 pm
...Ladik in it's own way defines probably sort of an own aesthetic in future times.
i dont own an entire ladik system, but two of my cases have enough ladik in them that i'm p sure i have more than most other people ive encountered anywhere - a wall of ladik looks pretty damn awesome it does have so be said... :]

as a final note, in my drum case i have an entire row of nothing but the original hexinverter electronique mutant drums and below those sequencing in the form of a row of two tiptop trig riot and a z8000 - all mki - the 3 matrices of 4x4 knobs all in grey and alu does look pretty cool...

[n.b. i secretly lust for an all erica black techno system if they ever release the res eq... *hint* erica *hint*]
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:10 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:15 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:17 pm
...Ladik in it's own way defines probably sort of an own aesthetic in future times.
i dont own an entire ladik system, but two of my cases have enough ladik in them that i'm p sure i have more than most other people ive encountered anywhere - a wall of ladik looks pretty damn awesome it does have so be said... :]
...future classic was the word I was looking for when a wrote that post. I like my Ladik spiced up with corresponding colored davies knobs tbh.

:party:

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:55 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:15 pm

... cant agree more about the sound - and its not just that the modules play well together in the sense of ergonmics and layout etc, its the things like being able to crank any output to the level of overdriving/saturating the next etc - so you can really make the vca's and filters growl, etc etc etc
Yes! And I'd add that among my collection of Analogue Systems modules lurks the next best thing to owning an EMS Synthi AKS/VCS3.

Getting back a bit more 'on message' for this thread, I see your system VCOs have those nice EMS style precision vernia frequency pots. For the Doepfer part of my system, I'll replace their standard mid-grey knobs with the black Rean 'soft-touch' knobs found on the regular Asys modules for a little more visual consistency throughout the cases.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Rossum.

Though if I had to actually use a full system of a single maker... XAOC if discontinued modules count, Harvestman/IME otherwise.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 pm

windchill wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:26 am
If you'd asked me a few years ago it would have been a Make Noise Black and Gold shared system but my aesthetics have completely changed. Now my visual ideal (and a lot of my system) is Random Source Serge Euro.

The simplicity, clarity, and space is wonderful.

I love the panel colour, the DAVIES 1900H style knobs, the sub-miniature toggle switches, the font, the simple colour coding on the jacks, the minimal use of LEDs.

The main thing that makes the R*S design so special however is the consistent grid. All the modules follow the same grid which means that the entire system lines up in the most striking way. From module to module the switches, knobs, and jacks always conform to the simple pattern. I've come to realise that this is a thing of beauty. Even superficially similar simple designs, Intellijel, Pittsburgh, Verbos, etc, will break out of the grid.

It comes at a cost of course, the R*S modules are not small, but that's part of the aesthetic, and something I've grown to appreciate.

I understand that I'm likely in the minority here, and that many will find this look dull or ugly, but it works for me.

Here's a (rather poor) quick snapshot of some of my system.
dksynth wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm
chalk one more here for serge.....

If you are going to do a single maker RS serge system why bother with euro? Just get the full size 4x4 modules and panels the ergonomics and aesthetics are way better, bananas, and it's not much more expensive. The euro modules just look squished and have a kinda weird layout in comparison.

(courtesy of fonik)

mine before selling, still have the edelweiss I need to finish and will build more eventually

seems silly to go all euro serge when you can have the real thing for a small difference in cost
Last edited by xonetacular on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:08 pm

windchill wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:26 am
The main thing that makes the R*S design so special however is the consistent grid. All the modules follow the same grid which means that the entire system lines up in the most striking way. From module to module the switches, knobs, and jacks always conform to the simple pattern. I've come to realise that this is a thing of beauty. Even superficially similar simple designs, Intellijel, Pittsburgh, Verbos, etc, will break out of the grid.

It comes at a cost of course, the R*S modules are not small, but that's part of the aesthetic, and something I've grown to appreciate.

I understand that I'm likely in the minority here, and that many will find this look dull or ugly, but it works for me.
I won't call the R*S/Serge look dull or ugly, but I honestly can't imagine playing such a rack as opposed to looking at it. I wouldn't want to deal with the complete lack of visual cues indicating functionality.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Livestock Electronics

Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

dksynth
Common Wiggler

Post by dksynth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 pm

If you are going to do a single maker RS serge system why bother with euro? Just get the full size 4x4 modules and panels the ergonomics and aesthetics are way better, bananas, and it's not much more expensive. The euro modules just look squished and have a kinda weird layout in comparison.

seems silly to go all euro serge when you can have the real thing for a small difference in cost
Well I can't say I don't agree with you.

At last count I had 12 panels of 4U serge in play here and all the euro serge is sold....

At the time the extra cost of power / boats / racks / cables pushed me towards euro as I already had all that after selling the majority of my euro format modular

common sense prevailed eventually!
Last edited by dksynth on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:54 pm

Sputnik Modular System
Sputnik Modular Modules:
Dual Oscillator², four voices by Multitouch Keyboard / Arpeggiator
Oscillator to Moog MF 102 played by R2m Ribbon Controller,
Multitouch Keyboard / Controller,
Quad Function Trigger Source²,
Quad VCF/VCA²,
5 Step Sequencer²,
Selector,
CV Processor,
Four Tap Delay / Dual Crossfader,
West Coast Random Source,
Six Channel Stereo Mixer
Intellijel cases ,Ornament and Crime and Monsoon Clouds

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 pm

The Livestock one above is beautiful. I don't see what people find in the black panels tbh, especially the boring roland/moog style.. yes it looks "retro", but that's all, i don't think its especially eye-pleasing..

I think an all NLC rack (white + gold) would look fantastic.. overall i really like white modules, Befaco BF-22 Sallen Key looks really great..

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:12 pm

Orthogonal Devices for me is also brilliant. Beside that it would be nice to have another well tought out module in the market from him it would be nice only for the sake of it's visual communication to have more members of the ER-XXX familiy.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm

I think a case of LZX's DIY modules could look cool, with a row of the red Cadet series on top and a row of the black Castle series beneath maybe.
Avant Garde a clue

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Intellijel for me. Nice, clean design. Incidentally, the manufacturer I have by far the most modules by is indeed Intellijel. I haven't ever bought a module because of looks though, but maybe there's something subconscious going on ... :lol:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”