Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Best looking single origin Eurorack (aesthetics only)

Post by Roy72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:25 am

What about Rossum? Classy look.

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 am

I like the Joranalogue aesthetic, it's the black bands top and bottom that do it for me, Klavis too but to a lesser extent.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:50 am

I know it's an acquired and personal taste but for me this is clearly the best looking (it could be even better if they switched the big rogan knobs with white ones like on the QPAS, which I did)

- first I just find it very pretty

- all individual modules are clearly identifiable, and yet the unified design code remains coherent

- I know people say these panels are hard to read but the reality is that make noise modules are deep and have a steep learning curve. Once you know and understand these modules, you realize all the commands and visual clues are extremely clear and helping (all trigger inputs have the same visual code, all the outputs have a little outward arrow, all the CV inputs are white squares, all the attenuverters are connected by a line to the command and CV inputs, etc). Actually when you check some greyscale panels for Make noise panels, which people claim are more readable, they contain obvious labelling errors (lines connecting unrelated stuff) which shows that indeed those modules are not easy to understand. BUT the panels are certainly very clear in how the module work IF you take the time to learn the module. If you want easy and straightforward modules than yeah MN are not for you

- there is also this great thing with the different MN systems in that they are not just collections of module, they are instruments in the full sense of the word. You can feel there has been a lot of thinking in the development of MN modules that make them working so well together

- did I say how pretty this thing is? When the light plays with the gold accents... :drunkhomer:

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:16 am

xonetacular wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 pm
If you are going to do a single maker RS serge system why bother with euro? Just get the full size 4x4 modules and panels the ergonomics and aesthetics are way better, bananas, and it's not much more expensive. The euro modules just look squished and have a kinda weird layout in comparison.
seems silly to go all euro serge when you can have the real thing for a small difference in cost
I'm inclined to agree, though in my case a combination of DIY, used purchases and a spare Euro case meant that my Euro Serge system was a fraction of the cost of the real thing

The great thing about Euro Serge is that it allows people to dip their toes in the water. I began with the VCM, then the RESEQ, and then it accelerated from there

Where I've ended up works well for me. I have a 6u 104hp R*S Serge Euro system, which I often use on its own, but I can also integrate it easily with my other Euro system. I still tend to keep the Serge as a distinct voice but it's useful to have easy access to my quantiser, MN Rene and Mimeophon, O'Tool, mixers, logic, etc.

If I could somehow replace a lot of my gear with a proper 4u Serge, without losing huge amounts of money, I probably would.... but for now I rather like the "separate yet together" system I've ended up with.

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:56 am
I actually really like the look of real Mutable Instruments modules- especially the discreet spot colour and negative space where it counts. Maybe that's not an exotic choice, but they really are nice. There's something quietly satisfying about the understated and unfussy design- it always feels like care went into the layout for wiggling
I agree. I like Mutable’s aesthetics.
AJH is nice too
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CiDE » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:50 pm

For me, Cwejman.

There's something about its aesthetics that has a particular pull for me. It may be because of the "what a modernized vintage modular system would look to someone from 2001" look, or the truly unified and never-broken design code. It also reminds me of office equipment, which is a good thing for me due to the fact that I grew up in the Windows 98-all-the-way-to-XP era, back when pale and bland colors were a sign of sophistication.

I honestly don't know, but I really like something that looks this (formal and unassuming) way compared to a weird assortment of faders, knobs and jacks thrown together into a blender-panel. Don't get me wrong, I also really like the sillyness of Don Buchla's aesthetics, but the thing is these two are very opposite ways of thinking: Cwejman's strictly formal simplicity, and Buchla's crazy yet humane complexity. Both are good, not one over the other.

To sum it all up, Cwejman modules won't look out of place in a randy business HQ (especially in Eggshell White), and Buchla is...well...Buchla.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:22 pm

A sign of sophistication? And here I honestly believed the eggshell white look of '90s computers was because they allowed workplace smoking back then...

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 am
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:07 pm
why are you only interested in the aesthetics as opposed to the functions?
Hey Red Electric Rainbow, my goal here is to depart from my usual function over form at all costs mentality and bring in some visual art.
Well, if you're serious about the visual art, then go Folktek:
folktek_860.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm

RS have done an excellent job with their Euro Serge design; the spacing is great, the module to module consistency is great. But I hate that they use those cheap thonkicon-style 3.5mm jacks that have become ubiquitous in eurorack.

Doepfer has the best, most functional eurorack design aesthetic, and are also the most robust and most well built by quite a wide margin. Eurorack is already so small and dainty by definition, but at least with doepfer you get a solid piece of electronics, built to last, with playable, functional spacing, solid knobs, legible graphics, etc

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34 pm

mgscheue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 am
I’m liking the look of my Buchla Red Panel rack, so far, though perhaps not so much the Red Panel logo itself.

DED4BBEF-B1BF-4BC5-9133-3DE545D96DBC.jpeg
That is a very nice looking setup. Something about the knob proportions and the all white background and the red splashes. Just well done in general.

Just realized its very similar to the Befaco full system.. mize en scene, the golden ratio (knobs).. they actually both evoke a Christian religious bend in a way now that i really think deeply about it. The blood red on white and black for both it must be the pain of Catholic boarding school and mass 6 days a week. jeezus! how did i survive it.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:31 pm

I still can't get over the fact that you want to select a system based just on how it looks. :despair:

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:04 pm

joem wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:31 pm
I still can't get over the fact that you want to select a system based just on how it looks. :despair:
What part of it don't you understand?

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:16 pm

melodydad wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 am
Although not Eurorack my fave from an aesthetic point of view would be the blue Wiard 300 modules - beautiful
:wiard:
pretty nice in euro as well with the Magpie panels:
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 4.19.00 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:04 pm
joem wrote:
I guess I'm just not financially at the point where I could comprehend spending as much money as a modular synth costs without considering the sound and utility. A car with square wheels could look pretty damn cool but I'd never buy one.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash your plan. I just can't grasp why anyone would do that.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:30 am

joem wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:04 pm
joem wrote:
I guess I'm just not financially at the point where I could comprehend spending as much money as a modular synth costs without considering the sound and utility. A car with square wheels could look pretty damn cool but I'd never buy one.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash your plan. I just can't grasp why anyone would do that.
If you want to go all logical about it then I think that you’ll find that eurorack or any modular setup is kind of tough to defend. If your focus is to make loads och good and great sounding music then ITB is hard to beat. But we don’t do this to achieve maximum output, not most of us anyway. We do this because it’s fun and part of that might be to get an aesthetically pleasing setup.

I don’t care about the look enough to limit my choices but others feel differently.
New modular track with a ton of FM cross modulation and drum synthesis. 🔥

emilng
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emilng » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 am

For pure unified aesthetic without focus on functionality. I like the concept of the Moffenzeef System Bus Mult https://www.moffenzeefmodular.com/store ... editin-f-1.

For usable aesthetics I would go with Frap Tools, Intellijel, Mannequins, or Endorphin.es.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Intellijel for me. Love their design aesthetic, panel layouts, knobs and most importantly sound. In fact I try to update the modules from other brands that I have by switching to Selco knobs, ditching any black panels, etc. once my Grayscale Mimeophon panel arrives, the only black panel I’ll have left is my Natural Gate. And I’m seriously considering a custom panel for that...
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:09 pm

You know, if they just stuck to one design it would be a whole lot simpler. Take the excellent company TipTop for instance. First silver gray and black letters then a odd take on fruity juice to then start all over with the fx units they just launched. None of it fits together beautifully. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate their products but as far as design it’s going all over the place. Other companies like ajh and klavis has one design and sticking to it. Much better in terms of design. Favorites of mine are Joranalogue and HappyNerding in black.

bhenry1790
Common Wiggler

Post by bhenry1790 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 pm

XAOC is probably my favorite aesthetics, followed by Befaco and Erica Synths. I dig the almost scientific, logical and clear layout of these manufacturers. On the opposite of scientific appearance I love Make Noise. Frap Tools and Instruo is a nice in-between super creative / scientific.

If I were to do a single system I would probably go with Industrial Music Electronics or Mutable Instruments. These two aren't my favorites visually, but each has great sounding modules

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:47 am

• Roland System 500, for classic sounds and looks
  • Sputnik for design and spaces panels
  • Love the colored jacks on TipTop. Not owning any of the older aluminium panels easy for me to like the new color scheme
...and Doepher is growing on me when equipped with knobs identical to original but black.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 am

I think Schlappi Engineering deserves a mention, even though there are only three modules available today. the aesthetics are beautiful, both the silver and black versions, not to mention the functionality... I really want a 100 Grit to complement my Angle Grinder duo but I've got other priorities for a while. :waah:

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm

I’m a sucker for black panels, but if I would go single origin, I’d go for ALM/Busy Circuits.

And I don’t even own any of their modules!

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:16 pm

More black faceplates than a Justin Trudeau costume party innit

bayrumblues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bayrumblues » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:02 pm

VERBOS
IMG_8443.jpg
IMG_8442.jpg

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm

emilng wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 am
For pure unified aesthetic without focus on functionality. I like the concept of the Moffenzeef System Bus Mult https://www.moffenzeefmodular.com/store ... editin-f-1.

For usable aesthetics I would go with Frap Tools, Intellijel, Mannequins, or Endorphin.es.
I watched the entire video and love it.. I also must have a Muskrat for several reasons #1 the rat on the bottom (love rats) #2 its got rat like names 'scratch' , 'dig' , and 'chew' .. Divkid made that pop too.. and it looks damn cool.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”