Serge ÷NCOM Comparator vs...?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Serge ÷NCOM Comparator vs...?

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 pm

What else is there in euroworld apart from NCOM which can do similar and perhaps more things?

Or anyone has anything to say about NCOM, do you find it useful or not?

I'm in contact with someone who's selling a DIY one for around 90 euro... worth it? I read here there was a buggy revision of it too, told him to check his..

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge ÷NCOM Comparator vs...?

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:33 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 pm
I read here there was a buggy revision of it too, told him to check his..
where? was it the euro version? how was it "buggy".

It's a great module, but being DIY, just depends on how it was built, type of solder... washed correctly, quality of parts? lots of variables.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm

viewtopic.php?t=157034

yes i know.. not sure about what parts are used and it wouldn't tell me much either i guess.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm
viewtopic.php?t=157034

yes i know.. not sure about what parts are used and it wouldn't tell me much either i guess.
thanks! never noticed any issues with mine, and I think it's from the first run. It is a simple build.
It's a great and pretty unique module.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:33 pm

Cool. It seems pretty useful, on "paper" at least.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 am

Envy! Tried to patch its functionality myself once, but not sure how close I came. There's not much about it in Interwebland.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am

The Serge Divide by N Comparator (NCOM) is a rare, much sought-after and very essential Serge module covering a number of functions: comparator, voltage-controlled pulse divider, and voltage-controlled staircase generator.
Sounds like a riff on the Smooth and Stepped generator. Is that not something Serge did with his core circuits, repurposed them?

In Euro, similar functions can be achieved with the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Navs wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am
The Serge Divide by N Comparator (NCOM) is a rare, much sought-after and very essential Serge module covering a number of functions: comparator, voltage-controlled pulse divider, and voltage-controlled staircase generator.
Sounds like a riff on the Smooth and Stepped generator. Is that not something Serge did with his core circuits, repurposed them?

In Euro, similar functions can be achieved with the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator.
Ah ok, never tried the sport modulator, but i remember reading about it ages ago.

Anyways, bought it, will be interesting to try.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm

/ncomp is a great module. It is quite different from the SSG in that it doesn't produce ramps of any sort. The divide section is just a variable pulse divider up to 31 steps. Depending on how it is set up you get an interesting rising staircase from the divider when the comparator threshold is met. Each crossing of the comp is one more step up the staircase. It is really functional as a basic comparator/divider but that staircase feature can be very cool.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:24 pm

The Rebel Technology Logoi module has CV controlled clock/signal frequency division as one of it's functions.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 pm

wavecircle wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm
/ncomp is a great module. It is quite different from the SSG in that it doesn't produce ramps of any sort. The divide section is just a variable pulse divider up to 31 steps. Depending on how it is set up you get an interesting rising staircase from the divider when the comparator threshold is met. Each crossing of the comp is one more step up the staircase. It is really functional as a basic comparator/divider but that staircase feature can be very cool.
yeah looking forward to try that out!
jkjelec wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:24 pm
The Rebel Technology Logoi module has CV controlled clock/signal frequency division as one of it's functions.
Funny coincidence, a few hours ago i bought my first Rebel Tech module (another bargain), Phoreo. They seem to have a few interesting ones :)

Next year i'm gonna save up for January.. seen so many great deals for used eurorack this month, wish i could have afforded them all heh, everyone is out of money this month of the year.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:41 pm

There is this thread that I found a few weeks ago:
viewtopic.php?t=94394&sid=5d8499b5adb76 ... 24101e223c

I've been meaning to try out each of the patches in the quote form the second post. You'll have to translate some of the instructions to the Eurorack format.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm

bedhed3000 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:41 pm
There is this thread that I found a few weeks ago:
viewtopic.php?t=94394&sid=5d8499b5adb76 ... 24101e223c

I've been meaning to try out each of the patches in the quote form the second post. You'll have to translate some of the instructions to the Eurorack format.
ah, many thanks! will definitely try :)

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:52 pm

wavecircle wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm
How could I patch the staircase with other modules? I have a VC divider (QCD), and a Joranalogue comparator....
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 am

Navs wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am

totally unrelated--- ncom is on its own - where it really excells is processing audio... fattest squarewave.... ever !
hi navsbor!

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am

drwiener wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 am
totally unrelated--- ncom is on its own - where it really excells is processing audio... fattest squarewave.... ever !
hi navsbor!
Dazzer!

Yes, I see that now, if it's what inspired Ken Stone's VC Divider. You can get VC divisions from the Sport Modulator, so I wonder if that'll work with the SSG too :hmm:
sport modulator manual wrote:VC divider/ cascaded dividers/ suboscillators- put 1 section of the SM in HOLD mode and set it to CYC- LE. clock it with an external LFO or VCO or some- thing. the END out is now a variable division of the input freq according to the RATE and CV. take that END out [or just the OUT itself] and send it to the other section of the SM in the same mode for another variable division. the OUTS are of course nice stair- cases to climb up and down. use as suboscillators

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:10 pm

drwiener wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 am
where it really excells is processing audio... fattest squarewave.... ever !
just played around with it for an hour with Plaits, wow indeed... so fat :woah:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:39 pm

quick demo. around 1:00 you can hear the original sound from plaits for a few seconds.

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Navs wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am

Yes, I see that now, if it's what inspired Ken Stone's VC Divider. You can get VC divisions from the Sport Modulator, so I wonder if that'll work with the SSG too :hmm:
no, not that i am aware of, but i should def try it!

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Navs wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am

You can get VC divisions from the Sport Modulator, so I wonder if that'll work with the SSG too :hmm:
sport modulator manual wrote:VC divider/ cascaded dividers/ suboscillators- put 1 section of the SM in HOLD mode and set it to CYC- LE. clock it with an external LFO or VCO or some- thing. the END out is now a variable division of the input freq according to the RATE and CV. take that END out [or just the OUT itself] and send it to the other section of the SM in the same mode for another variable division. the OUTS are of course nice stair- cases to climb up and down. use as suboscillators
Awesome sport modulator tip. Also, any idea where you can you still find the SM manual? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:09 pm

electricanada wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:52 pm
How could I patch the staircase with other modules? I have a VC divider (QCD), and a Joranalogue comparator....
This video demonstrates the technique:
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:11 am

hinterlands303 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:11 pm
Also, any idea where you can you still find the SM manual? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.
Ah, it does seem to be missing from Josh's site/s.

Attached here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”