biggest value module you own?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: biggest value module you own?

Post by dooj88 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 am

pams new workout, hands down. it provides me with the control i need for timing and synchronization. the euclidean and skip probability settings keep things interesting.. but the ability to have a loopable 16 step random voltage sequence, euclidean clocked sin/tri/envelope lfos make it a steal of a deal. without it i have the rdc and some logic modules that may get me into similar territory of control, but it would feel fumbly.

for oscillators, the wmd spectrum. the square core sounds beefy. aside from all the normal waveform outs, it has a sub and a couple novel ones (which when used in lfo mode, one of them hasa pseudo delay effect.) the sub is also square/tri selectable and can be dropped an even further octave with a short button press. but as an lfo, the pwm, sync and FM CV ins make it very malleable. being analog, all those same ins at audiorate mean you can get very weird in feedback patches and it keeps up with whatever you can throw at it.

i echo all the reticence towards the disting. it's a powerhouse, but i don't see myself using one due to the opaque interface. i was considering it for the built in fx, but picked up a warps recently for a good deal so i've got a good secondary delay with an added open feedback loop so it's a bit more versatile. the only thing that's keeping my from writing it off completely is the s+h. i've got several and they all have voltage droop. the disting being digital doesn't have that.

bravewave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bravewave » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:18 pm

1+ for Pamelas New Workout
easy to handle and usefull in every patch, worth every penny
:love:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Cold Mac

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:36 pm

If ALM stop making PNW I’ll buy two or three to have as spares. It’s vital to both my racks.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:43 pm

I’d say Pam’s as well.
A few bits and bobs for sale here.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:25 pm

+1 on the Happy Nerding 3xMIA.

just that i´m not donne with one.
i have 7 now and still miss 3 or 4.
It plays such a important role in my rig
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Any output module with line out and headphone jack. I like to play my rack on the couch through the stereo or on the balcony with headphones. So in my case intellijels ujack is indispensable.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 am
all the reticence towards the disting. it's a powerhouse, but i don't see myself using one due to the opaque interface. i was considering it for the built in fx, but picked up a warps recently
I thought the interface on Warps really sucked (not uncommon for MI), i couldn't stand it for long and sold it.

I have no issues with Disting mk4 interface since it has a display that clearly shows what you have selected + favorites + even saving so you can start exactly at Wavetable 94 and the specific settings you have for it (or whatever). I like the scrolling text with larger letters too, with a lot of modules i have to wear reading glasses to see the text. Warps feels like a cheap knock-off almost, with a very few useful "modules" (in comparison to Distings 80+) that requires you to remember color or tiny signs and whatever, no thx..

My choice would either be Disting mk4 or Ornament & Crime Plus. Pam's New Workout is excellent too, but kind of limited in comparison to the former which probably can do most of what it can + more. I do love that it has so many outputs though.

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:55 am

I'm just a noob and never had Pam's in my hands, but for me the biggest value is Mutable Instruments Stages. I have no words to praise Emilie for the conception of this module. It's so useful in my tiny 120 hp rack. :hail: :tu:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 am
all the reticence towards the disting. it's a powerhouse, but i don't see myself using one due to the opaque interface. i was considering it for the built in fx, but picked up a warps recently
I thought the interface on Warps really sucked (not uncommon for MI), i couldn't stand it for long and sold it.

I have no issues with Disting mk4 interface since it has a display that clearly shows what you have selected + favorites + even saving so you can start exactly at Wavetable 94 and the specific settings you have for it (or whatever). I like the scrolling text with larger letters too, with a lot of modules i have to wear reading glasses to see the text. Warps feels like a cheap knock-off almost, with a very few useful "modules" (in comparison to Distings 80+) that requires you to remember color or tiny signs and whatever, no thx..

My choice would either be Disting mk4 or Ornament & Crime Plus. Pam's New Workout is excellent too, but kind of limited in comparison to the former which probably can do most of what it can + more. I do love that it has so many outputs though.
true, warps is a bit more cryptic, at least compared to the mk4's screen. on the other hand, it's always a sound processor. flipping through disting banks, you might get lfos, quanitzers, offsets, sample players before you get to a delay or bitcrush. so unless you're looking for something specific from warps, sticking a sound source (or two) in and turning the knob will always modify your sound.

timc3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timc3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 am

I would have to say Pamela’s as well.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:22 pm

I couldn’t possibly pick one, but I’d say BIA since it covers so much ground.

Also Pams or Peaks with Dead Mans Catch. Or O_c. Or Plaits.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am

xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:22 pm
I couldn’t possibly pick one, but I’d say BIA
pardon?

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 am

solipsvs wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am
xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:22 pm
I couldn’t possibly pick one, but I’d say BIA
pardon?
Sorry. The Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 am

mmpingo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:55 am
I'm just a noob and never had Pam's in my hands, but for me the biggest value is Mutable Instruments Stages. I have no words to praise Emilie for the conception of this module. It's so useful in my tiny 120 hp rack. :hail: :tu:
+1 Stages. So great. Most of my envelopes are decay-only, so I get up to 6 of them. I also use it as sample and hold, pulse divider, and of course LFO's.

I can't get multi-stage loops to work though :(

Have never tried Pamela!

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 am

Highest value? For me that's any module than provide a lot of functionality, even unintended.

MI Stages is one example I can think of - sequencer, complex envelope generator, DC outs, CV attenuators, slew limiter, S&H, syncable LFOs, sequential switch ec. It's immensely useful.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am

This is a tough question, it really depends on the patch, or my mood, or who knows how many other things. I don't think I could pick a single module. There was a time I didn't think I'd ever be without a DPO, but eventually ended up selling it (kicking myself for that 'though). The double Barton mixer with a headphone jack I built is handy. The PM Foundations State Machine is kinda cool but I don't use it constantly. I do use Pam's quite a bit, and my Eurokorn sequencer.

How do you pick one?

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am

I agree with BIA being great.

But also MI Grids..I have 3...need one in every rack..clocked together
And Ladik S-610 composer N...kind of like Tuesday
Plus Ladik D-420 Drum Girl...kind of like Grids
Oh and, TINRS Tuesday...a whole class of its own, sometimes. I have 3, killed one though.
And also Erica Pico RND and Wogglebug to name a few S&H random modules I have.

I guess my secret is out, I want a synth that will play itself. Generatively.

All of these CV and rhythm generators can be clocked together.(with dividers, clock distributers and switches)
”randy” wrote:There was a time I didn't think I'd ever be without a DPO, but eventually ended up selling it (kicking myself for that 'though).
That is why I almost never sell any modules. I have some things that have been in a box for a few years, but one day I will rack them up again (or buy another rack)

Foghorn
Does this subject mean the best value for the money or the most valuable (useful) module?
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am

suckerformimi wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 am
Most of my envelopes are decay-only
Quite humble envelopes. Do you make some exotic genre of music?

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 am

Foghorn wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am

That is why I almost never sell any modules. I have some things that have been in a box for a few years, but one day I will rack them up again (or buy another rack)

Foghorn
That's my new motto as well.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Can’t argue with pams work out.
I might also through in mutable marbles, ornament and crime and 4ms dld as next runner ups.

beepnsleep
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beepnsleep » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Toppobrillo Sport Mod- like Maths, it can be patched into many functions and is relatively inexpensive (especially for what you get)

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm

I have three doepfer a110s that I use all the time, two were bought 2nd hand, so quite cheap.

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:59 pm

oilpanic wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:10 am
CV Pal by MI. Turns almost any daw on the Mac platform into a Eurorack sequencer. For like $65. That’s useful.
Yes! Mutable Instruments CV Pal, best value little module by a long way. Have it running my live mini case sequenced/clocked/powered by an iPad 5 years after soldering it together on my kitchen table

GeorgLoke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GeorgLoke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:07 pm

For me it's Marbles. It would take so many traditional modules to compile the functionality and musicallity of this single module.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”