King of the Hats

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

King of the Hats

Post by suckerformimi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am

I was about the pull the trigger on a Prok Hi-Hat, but I got so much out of the King of the Kicks thread that I thought I'd post this.

I love the sound of the Prok but I like more modulation for hats. So I guess I am looking for the BIA or DFAM of hats, but with a good basic sound that can span analog to 606 metallic.

Is there anything like that out there!

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: King of the Hats

Post by VanEck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 am

BIA is just as much of a "king of hats" as it is a "king of kicks".

Flip that badboy into metal mode / treble mode, and adjust to taste.

BIA is a god tier Drum/Percussion voice. Honestly, I feel like it gets a little played out as a kick drum, and people should explore all of its other percussive potential more deeply.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

inoshi
Common Wiggler

Post by inoshi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 pm

I have not liked the BIA for hats, because the harmonic content is too piercing in treble / metal mode, even w/ harmonics turned all the way down.
I use dirty glitch -> malgorithm -> hi pass. Works pretty well for my purposes.
The dirty glitch has 1000 algorithms and 2 modulators for creating metallic harmonics. The malgorithm introduces noise, the hi pass filters out the low harmonics. Wah lah, you've got basically an infinite number of hi hats.

unitard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by unitard » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm loving the Orpho Modular Vollrausch Vacuum Tube VCO / Noise Generator for electronic hi-hats. Of course an envelope, VCA, and filter are required.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/orpho-vollrausch

Last edited by unitard on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 pm

I will get a BIA, but I think it sounds a lot better with hats than as hats.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Plaits has nice hihat algorithms. But I tend to get mine from SSF Entity Percussion. I use BIA for more metallic sounds, that I utilize like I would normal hihats. So, I guess that I like all three for hihat-ish sounds. 8-)
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 pm

I like the Mutant HH. On the large side, but fairly feature rich. Being able to feed it external sound is a big plus.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:02 pm

i'm a simple b*tch, i love the tiptop 909s. can be fm/amed, has an accent, closed/open hats and the envelope can be off for constant noise output

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:08 pm

I am loving my Hexinverter Jupiter Storm and Galilean Moons pair for hi-hat-like sounds. There are so many great sounds to be found in the three knobs and two switches of the Jupiter Storm. Just the slightest knob twist or input CV brings on a different timbre. Plus since there are two "voices" in this setup, one can be assigned to be the Closed HH and the other to be the Open HH or cymbal.
:goo:
Last edited by jkjelec on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm

I love the Tip Top Hats 808, much prefer that to the 909; they always sound right. I also love the MA808. Chimera is great when you want pitched metallic sounds, or just some more agressive hats. I also like using the bandpass out of the Hats808 and the Metallic Noise of the Ramdom Sampling, or some high bands of the Bark Filter filtering the Loquelic Iteritas Percido into a lpg for addtional flavors.

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:07 pm

I have a eurorackified Rakit Metal Synth. I vote for that, just because of the exclusivity :mrgreen:

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:37 pm

WMD crucible is a standout in terms of sound, range of modulation sweet spots, and trigger response. it has two trig inputs (for edge and middle hits), a choke gate input, and a velocity input. (also an audio input for use as a resonator, or "hitting it" with your own mallet samples.) the main downside (for me) is that it's a little less intuitive to program than a normal CH/OH pair where the CH automatically chokes the OH.

i also like 2hp hat. basic, easy to use CH/OH pair with some decent sounds and some usable modulation, although the sweet spots are narrow. (meaning, modulate very far in any direction and you get a very different sound, often artificial/ugly to my ear.) divkid has a good overview video.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:23 pm

Crucible.. i've also had: Mutant HH, Pixel Dust, didn't like them. Crucible is incredible. Much better than my Nord Drum 2 for those sort of sounds too..

Cymbals, HH, metal clanking sounds, quite broad range (at least in comparison to the other HH modules i've owned).

Its more aimed for realistic hh/cymbals though, a 606 or 808 it aint.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Crucible for me.

As far as I'm concerned WMD is right and everyone else beginning with the 808 is wrong: A hi-hat is not a goddamn CH/OH pair.

Unfortunately Crucible uses the wrong model for hats, it's built for rides, crashes etc and can't model the second cymbal... I'm still holding out for WMD to release a hat module based on the Crucible code. As long as they don't, well, maybe single cymbals are underexplored in electronic music.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Oh, I forgot about WMD Chimera! I use it all the time but it’s so obvious that it slipped my mind. :omg:
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

chrisj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrisj » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm

I just use Blue Lantern Mini Shimmieries for everything :)
I replaced the long/short switch with a vactrol so I could do open/closed CVs, and I run noise sources into the FM (Mod) when I don't want it too unnatural. Running other sorts of noises into Mod also works. It's got a little attenuator on it, which is handy.
I've got two now, modded both of them lots. One's going through a tiny capacitor to work as a highpass, and the other has a tiny cap rolling off the treble for a darker snarelike accent. I find the trigger/accent system somewhat awkward, but I still like them :)

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:34 pm

modulate very far in any direction and you get a very different sound, often artificial/ugly to my ear
Plaits, Chimera & Entity Percussion are all fantastic sources for HH sounds but I recently picked up the 2HP Hat and I've been really impressed. I agree with jsco there are a lot of overly artificial, maybe even ugly sounds within its range but I actually think they are pretty cool, lots of sonic possibilities, almost Pearl Syncussion-like.

presidentofvice
Common Wiggler

Post by presidentofvice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm
I love the Tip Top Hats 808, much prefer that to the 909; they always sound right. I also love the MA808. Chimera is great when you want pitched metallic sounds, or just some more agressive hats. I also like using the bandpass out of the Hats808 and the Metallic Noise of the Ramdom Sampling, or some high bands of the Bark Filter filtering the Loquelic Iteritas Percido into a lpg for addtional flavors.
Seconding this. I have a 606 as well and Hats 808 can sound pretty close. It's obviously not a complex module, but the bandpass out is a cool feature. Plug it into the audio in on DFAM. Or put it through Rings.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:09 pm

Zymos wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 pm
I like the Mutant HH. On the large side, but fairly feature rich. Being able to feed it external sound is a big plus.
I've been doing a ton of listening on youtube to various Hats demos lately. For what I'm looking for I think the Mutant Hi-Hats module is by far the best one I've heard. I wish it wasn't such a space hog but still worth it imo. Gonna get one soon.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:44 pm

It was too space intensive so I no longer have it, but Mutant Hi-Hat with a Quantum Rainbow gave me some of my favorite ‘smooth’ hi-hat sounds in the vein of 808ish and other electro hats, I think I preferred running red or blue noise through it. The input on the MHH makes it much more versatile - lots of experimentation to be had with that and the bandpass together.

Just got a Chimera for hat-type duties and I’m hopeful, but it hasn’t quite clicked with me yet :confused:

Before deciding to give Chimera a shot I researched a bit & was surprised how short I felt I came up, either with too few options or too lackluster demos. Lots of things that do good 909s, which I love, but didn’t want to be limited to. Obviously you can roll your own or post-process, but hard to do in a small mobile setup.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm

Does anybody like the Prok?!?!?!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:23 pm

suckerformimi wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm
After 9 years and only 27 posts... "hmmm for #28 I'll ask if anyone likes the Prok". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messing with ya.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm

suckerformimi wrote:
I would like "the Prok" more if they did that firmware update they've been talking about for around a year now, and which always seems to be a week away but then everything dies out again and no one hears anything.

If it ever comes out Prok will be a really great module, right now it's "ok"'ish.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:23 pm
suckerformimi wrote:
After 9 years and only 27 posts... "hmmm for #28 I'll ask if anyone likes the Prok". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messing with ya.
My OP was about the Prok and nobody even mentioned it after that. So I’m surprised that after giving such great demo it’s getting so little respect. It’s kinda the whole point of the thread. In fact, I think you guys may saved me from a bad purchase. Best thread ever! Thanks guys I love you all. I’m not gonna cry.

Just messing with ya :). But seriously I’m glad I posted and appreciate the responses.

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:22 am

I'm gonna go with the 2hp. It seems to have the best classic analog hat sounds, plenty of new sounds, and enough modulation.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”