FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstarter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

fywzheng
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstarter

Post by fywzheng » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Backed! Another vote for 4CV input.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Boolean logic?

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am

Will be some Boolean logic functions available between logic outputs or even between the 4 main outputs? It would be great if for example the logic outputs of channel 3 could be and/or/nand... combinations of the logic or main outputs of channels 1-2, 1-4, 1,2,4...

Also using the cv inputs as logic inputs for external signals and redirecting the generated signals to the auxiliary outputs would made the Flux into a powerful logic processor in parallel to the 4 main outputs.

Also, if the logic outputs would be some kind of internal LFOs like the Eloquencer, that could help with selfmodulation redirecting the logic outputs to the cv inputs.

I find the logic operations way more interesting, since an external cv can already be added to the cv inputs in the actual design.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am

While we’re terrorizing the developer with ideas, a simple one-shot mode is worth considering. In addition to generating continuous rhythms, I recognize the potential of Flux as a sort of super-charged Variatic Erumption (a tempo-sensitive burst generator). Since we don’t have trigger inputs galore, it might have to be a global mode, but even that would create a new use for the module when you’re not using it as your primary rhythm programmer.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am
While we’re terrorizing the developer with ideas, a simple one-shot mode is worth considering. In addition to generating continuous rhythms, I recognize the potential of Flux as a sort of super-charged Variatic Erumption (a tempo-sensitive burst generator). Since we don’t have trigger inputs galore, it might have to be a global mode, but even that would create a new use for the module when you’re not using it as your primary rhythm programmer.
My vote for the one-shot mode. The clock, reset and start inputs would then function as triggers. And you woul still have the cv inputs for extensive multi modulation of the parameters. :sb:

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

My kind of module! Couple of questions;

1) Will this eventually make it to retail or is this a one-off, kickstarter-only kind of project?

2) Any chance for a non-glossy black faceplate? (or aluminum)

Thanks for your time and great work on this! Can't back it but hoping it will retail at some point because I would love to pick one up! :sb:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am
My vote for the one-shot mode. The clock, reset and start inputs would then function as triggers. And you woul still have the cv inputs for extensive multi modulation of the parameters. :sb:
Speaking for myself, I’d still need the clock input to clock the Flux, but yeah, you could use start to trigger the one-shot and reset to choke it.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm

+1 on one shot mode ( coming with wishes, like it was christmas and i a child again ;) ..... :hihi: ) this would be awesome in fact !
+1 yes, clock still needed.

:party:

edit:
but oh dear, wouldn´t we want to have 4 separate trigger inputs for this ? :hide:
( 4 tracks, each with its own trigger input )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Damn, this sounds amazing! It's like my favorite aspects of the Buchla 252e Polyphonic Rhythm Generator expanded to the nth degree. (I'm talking about the odd ring divisions and sub-divided clusters of triggers you can slew to either end of a cell.)

I really want this thing. Just a little put off by the low number of preset saves. I'd imagine they will fill up in no time - especially since they are only single-channel saves. One set of presets for all 4 channels is 1/3 of the entire memory. With as complex as the programming can get I want to be able to save all my work, including variations. If I can be assured this will be greatly expanded in future updates I may jump in because everything else looks fantastic.

Either way, this is a great addition to eurorack! Well done, Mr. Barr! :yay:

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, I have added an update introducing the additional trigger inputs today on Kickstarter so they are confirmed for the final design :party:

The plan now is to nail down the final layout this weekend and order test boards next week.
Funky40 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am
i personally would directly add another CV input for a total of 4.
Hi Funky40, thanks for the comments - I am going to do some testing over the weekend to see if it will be viable, i think making a longer demo video of the CV inputs just to show the versatility of the modulation matrix is a good idea too.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Ok, I will go ahead and back the project.
Funky40 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am
i personally would directly add another CV input for a total of 4.
Like you, I feel there is no such thing as “too much” cv control. However, some obvious reasons not to add a fourth cv jack to this design: (1) there’s probably no room on the mod matrix UI for an additional column, (2) it’s a mod matrix, so he’s probably right that three inputs is already quite a bit if they’re not being hijacked for transport control, and (3) unlike you and me, there are a lot of folks around here who have serious psychological issues that are—God only knows why—triggered by asymmetry.
Thanks for backing the project mdoudoroff!
VanEck wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Nice. I dig the proposed gate input additions. It's hard to say without actually having my hands on one, but I imagine I'll be utilizing all 3 of those gate inputs and likely all 3 of those CV inputs, pretty much in every patch. Currently I am using 2x GRIDs in Euclidean mode to do some of these duties, and I typically have something jacked into all the inputs on both give the patches life and finely control clock and resets. I hate the fact that GRIDS can't accept a 1 to 1 clock, and lacks a start/stop input. Very happy to see FLUX will have this functionality.
Glad you like the additions VanEck!
dubiousphil wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm
This looks super interesting, I have one question that I'm not sure you already answered. As I understand it, the demos on the Kickstarter were made just using the Assimilator and the Flux, but how has your use of it looked while developing the module? (Assuming you had time to do some playing of course ) Any patches you particularly enjoyed or patches it really shone in? To be honest, I'm already in love with the thing but I'm really interested in what you enjoy most about it.

I can already see it sitting besides my ER-301 with each channel hooked up to a granular unit, that could be a great combo.
That sounds like a great pairing dubiousphil! My focus when developing the firmware was to try and keep all of the features as open as possible so that you could patch any rhythm that you could think of with the combination of sequencing different step lengths, step densities and curvatures on each channel. I think there are 2 routes that you can take with the module creatively, you can go for realism/live drumming with the humanize algorithm, curves and patching the auxiliary outputs to control dynamics and timbre or you can use high density steps to create more experimental rhythms.

Outside of technical tests, nearly all of my patches have been triggering percussion and making polyrhythms, in the last few years I have been more interested in timbre, texture and rhythm than melody when I am patching and I think Flux shines in this regard. I think the humanize algorithm really brings rhythms to life especially if used subtly and even with one shot samples, using round robin samples adds another layer of realism again but I didn't want to use anything in the demos that didn't come from the module.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am
Hi mdoudoroff, I can think of a few ways to achieve this in the current firmware, one would be to set up your burst in the first few steps then leave long 4 bar steps switched off for the rest of the sequence, the reset input paired with an external clock could now be used as a one shot mode if you are sending the reset trigger synced to your clock. I like the idea of a dedicated mode for this functionality, I am going to work on the layout this weekend, finalise the IO and order some test boards next week and I will keep this in mind.
Ivo Ivanov wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am
My kind of module! Couple of questions;

1) Will this eventually make it to retail or is this a one-off, kickstarter-only kind of project?

2) Any chance for a non-glossy black faceplate? (or aluminum)

Thanks for your time and great work on this! Can't back it but hoping it will retail at some point because I would love to pick one up! :sb:
Thanks IVO! 1) I would like to make the module available after Kickstarter, I would hope that would be late this year after backers have received their modules and the firmware is fully fleshed out.
2) I was thinking of offering a matte black or silver panel as a stretch goal for the project so it is possible!
Ras Thavas wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm
Allright, I'm in, just under the wire.

I'm especially impressed with the response to input from this forum, particularly the updating of hardware. That bodes well for continued software development. Looking forward to this...
Thanks for the support Ras, I plan to update the firmware regularly, I have a roadmap for expansion and I welcome any feedback about features.
cackland wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 pm
cackland wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:03 pm
Just out of curiosity... is the ARM Cortex-M7 embedded directly or via something like the Teensy 4.0?
Just following up with this question?
Hi cackland, this is from the Kickstarter page
The latest prototype of Flux was developed on the new Teensy 4.0. Kickstarter backers will receive a module with a Teensy 4.0 attached (<3 Teensy), this means that a USB port is available for easy firmware updates and some potentially interesting additional features over USB in future updates.
I might switch to embedding the M7 later if the module is popular.
dubiousphil wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm
Ras Thavas wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm
Allright, I'm in, just under the wire.
Same here, the demos on soundcloud convinced me.
Thanks for supporting the project dubiousphil!
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am
Will be some Boolean logic functions available between logic outputs or even between the 4 main outputs? It would be great if for example the logic outputs of channel 3 could be and/or/nand... combinations of the logic or main outputs of channels 1-2, 1-4, 1,2,4...

Also using the cv inputs as logic inputs for external signals and redirecting the generated signals to the auxiliary outputs would made the Flux into a powerful logic processor in parallel to the 4 main outputs.

Also, if the logic outputs would be some kind of internal LFOs like the Eloquencer, that could help with selfmodulation redirecting the logic outputs to the cv inputs.

I find the logic operations way more interesting, since an external cv can already be added to the cv inputs in the actual design.
Thanks for the comments Sweetfiltersweep, absolutely, Boolean & cross channel logic are on the firmware roadmap. I want to add options for the auxiliary outputs to source triggers from multiple algorithms at once also (like tapping the different delays/dividers etc simultaneously). These are all very straightforward features to implement now that the core of the module is complete so it is just a matter of dedicating some time to them once I get back to finalising V1 for the firmware.
Funky40 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm
+1 on one shot mode ( coming with wishes, like it was christmas and i a child again ;) ..... :hihi: ) this would be awesome in fact !
+1 yes, clock still needed.
edit:
but oh dear, wouldn´t we want to have 4 separate trigger inputs for this ?
( 4 tracks, each with its own trigger input )
Going to do some testing this weekend Funky40!
Precarious wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Damn, this sounds amazing! It's like my favorite aspects of the Buchla 252e Polyphonic Rhythm Generator expanded to the nth degree. (I'm talking about the odd ring divisions and sub-divided clusters of triggers you can slew to either end of a cell.)

I really want this thing. Just a little put off by the low number of preset saves. I'd imagine they will fill up in no time - especially since they are only single-channel saves. One set of presets for all 4 channels is 1/3 of the entire memory. With as complex as the programming can get I want to be able to save all my work, including variations. If I can be assured this will be greatly expanded in future updates I may jump in because everything else looks fantastic.

Either way, this is a great addition to eurorack! Well done, Mr. Barr! :yay:
Thanks for the lovely comments Precarious! The presets are relatively expensive in terms of memory due to 16 of most parameters needing to be saved per channel along with the macros per channel so I have been holding off on expanding on them until all features are fully fleshed out, apologies that I can't say for definite right now but I would hope that I could at least double the preset slots.

Over the next week I want to have the final layout, IO and V1 firmware specs completed with a timeline for other firmware updates. I am going to record more demo videos also for some of the features like Macros, CV and external clocking. Please feel free to post any additional questions!
Chain Reacting

sinistar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sinistar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:26 pm

+1 on both additional CV input and one-shot mode! Definitely a big deal in terms of utility for the module.
Backed the project, really psyched to play with this once it's ready.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

also backed as quick as i could. THANKS TIME DIFFERENCE.

super excited about this.

just wanted to say a thanks to VCOscies for being so interactive and open to suggestions. i've seen some prototype development/Kickstarters where the builder took offense at suggestions and felt attacked. thanks for listening to everyone's concerns!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

If this becomes a success and numbers grow, embedding the mcu will be more cost effective in the long run gaining higher margins.

The cost price of the mcu and associated components is much less than a Teensy 4.0 these days.

Something to think about.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Boolean logic?

Post by Jaypee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:

+100000

I've been dreaming of a sequencer with boolean features.

I know Gatestorm, but you can't do three inputs logic. Only two.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 am

Are there any alternative ways than kickstarter to support at this stage?

Given this information:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8v ... reddit.com
Kickstarter is working with a Philadelphia law firm that offers expertise in labor relations and "maintaining a union-free workplace," in the midst of a historic union campaign at the Brooklyn-based crowd-funding company.

The company confirmed to Motherboard that it first retained the services of the firm Duane Morris in 2018 before it knew of any organizing activity at the company. Kickstarter would be the first major tech firm to successfully unionize in the United States if the union wins when election results are counted on February 18, which would send a message to disgruntled tech workers across the country.
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm

I appreciate the bravery of any manufacturer who solicits feature requests on Muff Wiggler! :)

With that in mind, I had a suggestion regarding Temporal Mod Curves. Right now we can "bend" them with curvature values. Would it be possible to also-

1) Multiply them, i.e. repeat the curve a specified number of times while making fit in the same time frame? Much like increasing the frequency of the wave by octaves and adding an appropriate extra cycle each time. So for example, a saw wave shape multiplied by 2 would be two saw waves at 2x the frequency of the original? I ask as having multiple saws, ramps, & pulses seems to make a lot of rhythmic sense, and this would avoid having to make numerous versions of curves at different frequencies/multiples.

2) Phase shift the start point? I noticed in one of the videos a custom curve that looked like a rough square wave, which was followed by switching to a similar looking wave with the rise somewhat later in the waveshape. The difference in shape worked really well to my ears, and it occurred to me that being able to shift the start point of a curve would expand the versatility of the curve set.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm

i think i've got my head around the concept a bit more, and it's a very novel approach to rhythm sequencing. really glad to see so much enthusiasm for this module here. i admit i was a bit confused by the amount of aux outputs (more is better of course, but x12 is nuts! :bananaguitar: ) so awesome to see the plans for developing those further re source triggers from multiple algorithms.. but re development in the quote below you mention variable voltage outputs, just wanted to clarify so forgive my denseness... specifically you mean variable voltage levels for controlling accents, lpg strenth, etc to the effect of sending the triggers through a VCA modulated by an LFO? if so i hope it works out, that would add a whole new level of complexity and make this module an incredible tool for expression as well as experimentation and humanization of rhythm.
Thanks for the excellent comments. This was the idea with the 3 auxiliary outputs per channel, in testing I have been patching a main output to a Veils input then using the auxiliary outputs to accent hits every 2/3/4 triggers etc and to open filter cutoffs etc, this works well with the Assimil8or CV inputs also. I love the idea of variable voltage outputs, it is not in the current prototype but I will do some testing!
like Ras Thavas mentioned, very much appreciated taking the time to appease the mob. congrats on a the kickstarter success!

Benoist
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Benoist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 pm

I don't know what's behind the faceplate but if you could do a 1010 module or E370 layout to save a significant amount of hp and avoid the curtain of cables down or up when fully used ...
Especially with an Assimil8or having the bulk of outs on the right would be more handy !

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am recording some videos this weekend and working on layout next week so please excuse any intermittent delays in responding to questions, an early bird £25 discount is still available until midnight tonight GMT (15th February)!
sinistar wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:26 pm
+1 on both additional CV input and one-shot mode! Definitely a big deal in terms of utility for the module.
Backed the project, really psyched to play with this once it's ready.
Thanks for supporting the project sinistar <3
behndy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm
also backed as quick as i could. THANKS TIME DIFFERENCE.

super excited about this.

just wanted to say a thanks to VCOscies for being so interactive and open to suggestions. i've seen some prototype development/Kickstarters where the builder took offense at suggestions and felt attacked. thanks for listening to everyone's concerns!
Thanks behndy! I started the project to make a rhythm sequencer for myself but I realise that everyone has different patching needs and if it is possible to implement improvements to integrate the module into other wiggler's setups more easily or improve their experience with the module I am all for it.
Jaypee wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 am
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:

+100000

I've been dreaming of a sequencer with boolean features.

I know Gatestorm, but you can't do three inputs logic. Only two.
Hi Jaypee - internal cross channel boolean logic is 100% confirmed for the list of auxiliary algorithms, using the cv or trigger inputs as an argument would be possible but will require some testing, I will add it to the list of future firmware features to test.
Ras Thavas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm
I appreciate the bravery of any manufacturer who solicits feature requests on Muff Wiggler! :)

With that in mind, I had a suggestion regarding Temporal Mod Curves. Right now we can "bend" them with curvature values. Would it be possible to also-

1) Multiply them, i.e. repeat the curve a specified number of times while making fit in the same time frame? Much like increasing the frequency of the wave by octaves and adding an appropriate extra cycle each time. So for example, a saw wave shape multiplied by 2 would be two saw waves at 2x the frequency of the original? I ask as having multiple saws, ramps, & pulses seems to make a lot of rhythmic sense, and this would avoid having to make numerous versions of curves at different frequencies/multiples.

2) Phase shift the start point? I noticed in one of the videos a custom curve that looked like a rough square wave, which was followed by switching to a similar looking wave with the rise somewhat later in the waveshape. The difference in shape worked really well to my ears, and it occurred to me that being able to shift the start point of a curve would expand the versatility of the curve set.
Excellent suggestions Ras, phase shift will be a feature of the eventual curve creator along with inverting and reflecting horizontally but it could work from the live channel screen too and could be an exciting CV target. I want to add a starting step parameter to accompany last step selection also. Division of curves is simple by doubling step length and you can achieve multiplication by using 2 steps with the same settings at half step length for example but this could be a nice live feature also for sure.
maltemark wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 am
Are there any alternative ways than kickstarter to support at this stage?

Given this information:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8v ... reddit.com
Kickstarter is working with a Philadelphia law firm that offers expertise in labor relations and "maintaining a union-free workplace," in the midst of a historic union campaign at the Brooklyn-based crowd-funding company.

The company confirmed to Motherboard that it first retained the services of the firm Duane Morris in 2018 before it knew of any organizing activity at the company. Kickstarter would be the first major tech firm to successfully unionize in the United States if the union wins when election results are counted on February 18, which would send a message to disgruntled tech workers across the country.
Hi maltemark, thank you for the interest in supporting the project! I will have a pre-order option on the Flux website for at least a few days after the Kickstarter campaign ends for anyone who is unable to support the project via Kickstarter. If you PM or use the contact form on the website (contact form) I can let you know when this is available.
dooj88 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm
i think i've got my head around the concept a bit more, and it's a very novel approach to rhythm sequencing. really glad to see so much enthusiasm for this module here. i admit i was a bit confused by the amount of aux outputs (more is better of course, but x12 is nuts! :bananaguitar: ) so awesome to see the plans for developing those further re source triggers from multiple algorithms.. but re development in the quote below you mention variable voltage outputs, just wanted to clarify so forgive my denseness... specifically you mean variable voltage levels for controlling accents, lpg strenth, etc to the effect of sending the triggers through a VCA modulated by an LFO? if so i hope it works out, that would add a whole new level of complexity and make this module an incredible tool for expression as well as experimentation and humanization of rhythm.
Thanks for the excellent comments. This was the idea with the 3 auxiliary outputs per channel, in testing I have been patching a main output to a Veils input then using the auxiliary outputs to accent hits every 2/3/4 triggers etc and to open filter cutoffs etc, this works well with the Assimil8or CV inputs also. I love the idea of variable voltage outputs, it is not in the current prototype but I will do some testing!
like Ras Thavas mentioned, very much appreciated taking the time to appease the mob. congrats on a the kickstarter success!
Thanks dooj88! That was the intention in having so many auxiliary outputs tied to each channel rhythmically, to allow users to patch to envelopes and other modules to control dynamics and timbre with the additional outputs. I don't know if it will be viable to implement control of output voltage at this stage but I am going to think about it next week when I am finalising the layout.
Benoist wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 pm
I don't know what's behind the faceplate but if you could do a 1010 module or E370 layout to save a significant amount of hp and avoid the curtain of cables down or up when fully used ...
Especially with an Assimil8or having the bulk of outs on the right would be more handy !
Thanks Benoist, it's a tough decision when deciding on the layout. I have opted to keep the module as shallow and skiff friendly as possible with enough room to use the pots, encoders and buttons comfortably. Having the output jacks at the top of the module helps here too but I definitely see the benefits of both options.

Please feel free to post any questions, thanks everyone!
Chain Reacting

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:03 am

I am so excited.

This is why I love eurorack so much. Community and developers at their best here!

I will have another question/request, but I want to re-read all infos available before. Thank you!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am

VCOscillator wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 am
Thanks for the feedback everyone,
Thanks for Yours ! Its Much appreciated !
.....and gives a feel of a living scene........thru the net ;)
VCOscillator wrote:
Thanks dooj88! That was the intention in having so many auxiliary outputs tied to each channel rhythmically, to allow users to patch to envelopes and other modules to control dynamics and timbre with the additional outputs.
to read this again is so awesome.
......ahhh, I see the musicality lieing there ;)

if i had the dough would i send you over a helicopter full of cheer leaders....... with some "go-go-go´s" :sb:
:lol:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Haha! Was waiting on a payment to go through to clear space on a card and got it done with 2 minutes left on the 'later bird' offer.

I'M IN! :sb:

Looking forward to this monstrosity!

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 pm

I now have a full understanding of how this works and I'm very impressed with the possibilities. You thought of some things I wouldn't have, like a total count of triggers and 16th notes per sequence. How useful! And I really like the delay, logic functions and clock divisions with offset. All great stuff! Macro controls are potentially pretty insane as well especially considering using logic outs from one channel to modulate another through the CV ins. Of course all of this goodness makes me want more preset saves even more.

One thing you may want to check. I think there is a mistake on the diagram of panel functions. Assuming you would want the two encoders closest to the screen to be used for UI navigation, and the four out to either side as macro controls, I would guess that numbers 29 and 30 should be switched.

Amirite? :hmm:

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Hey everyone, I recorded some videos over the weekend demonstrating Macro Pots, some CV examples and a video of using both to experiment outside of rhythm sequencing with drones. I am working on final tweaks to the PCB layout this week and hope to have some exciting updates regarding IO soon, thanks for everyone's continued support!

Ras Thavas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Hi Ras Thavas, Phase shifting is now live in the current firmware!

This is from the Kickstarter update:
Phase shifting moves the starting point of your Temporal Modulation Curve to anywhere within the step (from 0 to 360 degrees of phase shifting). The parameter is mappable to macro pots and also a target for CV. Triggers wrap around the end of the step back through the start as the phase is shifted. Wrap around can be turned off so that triggers pushed outside of the step length by phase shifting are not sent to the outputs. In the video below we see a single trigger shifted across 360 degrees, then a curve swept across 360 degrees. Wrap around is then switched off and finally we have an example of CV modulation with a free running LFO from the Livewire AFG. The AFG is then synced to Flux for rhythmically synchronized CV. When you receive your module, you will have the option to lock phase shift options to 90°/180°/270°/360° and sub divisions to keep the results rhythmic, in the demo below the full 360 degrees are shown to demonstrate the full range of offset available.

Jaypee wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:03 am
I am so excited.

This is why I love eurorack so much. Community and developers at their best here!

I will have another question/request, but I want to re-read all infos available before. Thank you!
Thanks Jaypee, feel free to ask any questions!
Funky40 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am
VCOscillator wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone,
Thanks for Yours ! Its Much appreciated !
.....and gives a feel of a living scene........thru the net ;)
VCOscillator wrote:
Thanks dooj88! That was the intention in having so many auxiliary outputs tied to each channel rhythmically, to allow users to patch to envelopes and other modules to control dynamics and timbre with the additional outputs.
to read this again is so awesome.
......ahhh, I see the musicality lieing there ;)

if i had the dough would i send you over a helicopter full of cheer leaders....... with some "go-go-go´s" :sb:
:lol:
Thanks dooj!
Precarious wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm
Haha! Was waiting on a payment to go through to clear space on a card and got it done with 2 minutes left on the 'later bird' offer.

I'M IN! :sb:

Looking forward to this monstrosity!
Thanks for backing the module Precarious!
Precarious wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 pm
One thing you may want to check. I think there is a mistake on the diagram of panel functions. Assuming you would want the two encoders closest to the screen to be used for UI navigation, and the four out to either side as macro controls, I would guess that numbers 29 and 30 should be switched.
Nice catch Precarious, thank you. That's correct I have fixed the graphic now.
UI_Elelements.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chain Reacting

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Phase shifting TMC's already in? Wow, now that is a responsive developer!

I really like the option to have the phases optionally be snapped to rhythmic divisions, I suspect that'll be very useful. Also really impressed with the drone tones, much richer and deeper than I would've imagined. Somewhere Buddy Rich is sighing as he hears the speed of the drum rolls Flux kicks out...

It's clear the Flux can create very complex and non-quantized patterns. It seems like the key will be to have a way to arrange those patterns in series that continues to provide interest, whether that's thru slowly evolving the pattern or changing it up very so often, like the typical fill in the fourth bar. Seeing as preset memory will not be overly huge things like phase shifting the TMC can help make this happen, depending on the TMC.

At some point I would guess you might look at introducing randomness beyond humanization. One type of random I've grown to really appreciate is the "random group" that Metron uses. Instead of having a percentage possibility of initiating a gate per note, it allows you to assign a group of notes the same random seed for that action, so they all either sound or not depending on the percentage likelihood set. This is good, as you can set a fill or small embellishment in a sparse pattern and have it show up frequently or infrequently. A few random groups can really open up a groove that would otherwise be too repetitive. Another type of random action that is useful is having a setting for your random action that allows it to happen only after a certain number of bars, like the Vector Sequencer does.

At any rate these are just observations, I'm sure you have more than enough to keep you busy for the 1.0 release. Congratulations again on coming up with a really different approach to generating rhythmic patterns!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”