FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Post by blipson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 am

People without Fluxes are posting for tutorials in addition to all the playing examples available, so apparently there's some confusion and questions out there. In the absence of systematic tutorials, I just thought it would be worth clarifying that all these mentions of "one step" producing long and complicated compositions relies on Flux's steps containing a whole lot of stuff. Otherwise, until the new tutorial comes out, non-owners may think in terms of a standard step sequencer step (that may or may not include a bit of ratcheting) and not get what's happening. I wasn't intending to start a super-technical discussion of what is and isn't proper terminology with users already well-versed with Flux's workings, but rather clarify the meaning of our existing terminology for the sake of new users.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm S7equencer

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:51 am

WarpHead wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 am
Sweetfiltersweep,

Just a quick note because I see u have difficulty quoting: the first of the '[Qu ote]' tags does not get a '/'.

The '/' slash is only for the second (final) tag that closes the quote. ;)
Thank you. :-)

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am

joeman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am
Once moving onto using multiple steps, let's not forget that there's also the possibility of taking advantage of the three mod busses which can be used in any desired combination on a per step basis. 8-)
Along these lines, you don't even need to use multiple steps to take advantage of the 3 mod busses either. You can of course also just use one step and manually change the mod bus for that step for even more variation

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 am
joeman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm
I've posted some demos of Flux doing some straight ahead grooves. Check out just a few small excerpts of what you can do with only a single step:

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... e-examples

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... t-24-hours
Those are amazing. :sb:
Thank you! :tu:

Just scratching the surface of course..

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 am

blipson wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 am
People without Fluxes are posting for tutorials in addition to all the playing examples available, so apparently there's some confusion and questions out there. In the absence of systematic tutorials, I just thought it would be worth clarifying that all these mentions of "one step" producing long and complicated compositions relies on Flux's steps containing a whole lot of stuff. Otherwise, until the new tutorial comes out, non-owners may think in terms of a standard step sequencer step (that may or may not include a bit of ratcheting) and not get what's happening. I wasn't intending to start a super-technical discussion of what is and isn't proper terminology with users already well-versed with Flux's workings, but rather clarify the meaning of our existing terminology for the sake of new users.
I would say that the bare bones approach of the user manual is actually perfect for a module like Flux. The reason for this is that the functionality of each param can be utilised in so many different ways for so many different effects across so many different time scales. This is important to recognise as providing specific examples of use-cases could mislead onlookers into thinking the module works in that specific way.

IMO, the best bet for anyone who is interested is to look at what each param is capable of doing and then use the imagination to devise an interactive system between the params, then experiment with the results. Rinse and repeat.

The thing about Flux is that you can create the same rhythmic result via various (and totally different) methods, and each approach provides different kinds of variation possibilities within the rhythm synthesis algorithm. For a simple example, you could create a backbeat snare (eg, triggering on beat 2 and 4 of a 4/4 bar), via five or so completely different approaches (probably more), making use of different params or different combinations of params for each approach. Because of this open endedness of possible approaches to the creation of rhythms etc with Flux, I believe that merely explaining what each param does in isolation, completely abstract from specific rhythms/beats etc, is the most practical (and ultimately helpful) way of describing the module.

Despite all this, questions are great, dispelling confusion is great, and as you say, Flux's steps contain a whole lot of stuff indeed!

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 am

joeman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 am
Despite all this, questions are great, dispelling confusion is great, and as you say, Flux's steps contain a whole lot of stuff indeed!
Yep, the flexibility that you can acheive within one step is so great, that I'm finding it difficult to make meaningful patterns that are longer than one step but still function in a cohesive manner. They still need to function across the step changes in all pot and CV ranges.

The "step" terminology is a bit limiting, as it is used in many other sequencers to mean somthing with a mere fraction of the flexibility.
I think of them as "stages", like in Metropolis/x. Even then, there is so much more variation possible in a Flux stage than a Metopolis/x (not to knock those sequencers. They sit in a different space).

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 am

That’s the beginning of a new video series. For that reason, it is not numbered after the existing Flux videos. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease read the notes on the video page, and be prepared for the unusual. :-)

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosmische » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Wow, not what I was expecting. Guess I wasn't uh...prepared for the unusual. :)
Thanks for the notes too, looking forward to more in the series!

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm

kosmische wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm
Wow, not what I was expecting. Guess I wasn't uh...prepared for the unusual. :)
Thanks for the notes too, looking forward to more in the series!
Thanks for your comment. This new series try to put Flux and the old fashioned Jupiter 4 under a new light: Flux not only as a rhythm generator (at which it really excels) and the Jupiter 4 not only as a source of bass, leads and pads sounds (at which it really excels). ;)

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Marizu wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 am
joeman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 am
Yep, the flexibility that you can acheive within one step is so great, that I'm finding it difficult to make meaningful patterns that are longer than one step but still function in a cohesive manner. They still need to function across the step changes in all pot and CV ranges.

The "step" terminology is a bit limiting, as it is used in many other sequencers to mean somthing with a mere fraction of the flexibility.
I think of them as "stages", like in Metropolis/x. Even then, there is so much more variation possible in a Flux stage than a Metopolis/x (not to knock those sequencers. They sit in a different space).
I find it's handy to apply some procedural principles re polyrhythmic composition. If you want to make use of Flux to its fullest, it forces you to up your game and actually have some semblance of what you're doing. I like that, forces me to learn.
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:32 am

Here is the third and last part of the Flux + BIA series. Distortion and saturation galore. :-)

Votek_Mendo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Votek_Mendo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 am

Thanks a lot!!! for uploading all these videos of the FLUX. Really really cool to watch as i wait for mine.
WTB: Publison KB2000 & DHM 89 B2, Vestax Faderboard, Electrospace TIME matrix, Syntovox 221

https://twitter.com/Votek_Mendo
http://soundcloud.com/votek_mendo
http://statigr.am/votek_mendo

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am

Votek_Mendo wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 am
Thanks a lot!!! for uploading all these videos of the FLUX. Really really cool to watch as i wait for mine.
You are welcome. Unless my computer devices go bonkers, there will be a new video (maybe two) every week until Juny. 8-)

Eddeh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddeh » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi all, I have a query and I’m sorry if this has been covered or if it’s part of the sequencers logic but when adjusting gate length the only way I can get it to alter the intended stage is to adjust the stage before. Can anyone advise as to if this is normal, it seems odd! I have a steady sync’d clock from keystep pro, no modulation ect thanks

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm

Eddeh wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:10 pm
Hi all, I have a query and I’m sorry if this has been covered or if it’s part of the sequencers logic but when adjusting gate length the only way I can get it to alter the intended stage is to adjust the stage before. Can anyone advise as to if this is normal, it seems odd! I have a steady sync’d clock from keystep pro, no modulation ect thanks
Hi, I noticed that already and think this is a bug. I let Barry know and he said he would check it out.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am
there will be a new video (maybe two) every week until Juny. 8-)
What happens in June? Is it something we can fix?

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 am

blipson wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 pm
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am
there will be a new video (maybe two) every week until Juny. 8-)
What happens in June? Is it something we can fix?
Nothing bad, I hope. In fact I hope, this summer everyone everywhere will be having a better timer as the corona vaccines make our lives easier.

Regarding Flux, I think it will be at the core of my modular system for a long long time. So it will surely be in every modular-based clip or video I make.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 am

Just a reminder that you can get easy patterns in only a few seconds.

Eddeh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddeh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm
Eddeh wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:10 pm
Hi, I noticed that already and think this is a bug. I let Barry know and he said he would check it out.
Ahh ok good to know, thanks for your reply, I wonder if it effects all units all of the time as reading through the forum it doesn’t appear to be an urgent issue to resolve. I’m new to the latest firmware and so might try a reinstall and restart fresh in case saving over an old pattern has some way caused it. Hopefully it’ll be addressed soon 🤞. Overall I’m blown away by Flux

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:43 am

Mind your ears when drums are broken.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:03 am

Part 2 of the Flux/Jupiter 4 series.

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler