FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstarter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstarter

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Well, we're at (around) £26,000, for both stretch goals we need to get to £35,000, a deficit of £9000. So we need about 26 more pledges at the current rate of £349 per pledge.

Alternatively, if the 83 backers added around £108 each we'd be where we needed to be too, but I'm not sure that's doable.

I'd suggest more videos of new features to goose the Kickstarter, but I suspect this developer is already working as hard as he can.

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Did anybody figure out whether you can switch between the patterns under CV control?
I appreciate that the patterns can be long, but I'm thinking about being able to change feel dynamically.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Marizu wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Did anybody figure out whether you can switch between the patterns under CV control?
I appreciate that the patterns can be long, but I'm thinking about being able to change feel dynamically.
Not sure on CV of patterns, but there is a plan to have CV control of start and stop point within a pattern, so you could divide those 64v16th's up to accomplish some of the same things.

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:58 am

Hi everyone, I have been working non stop making sure that the expanded manufacturing files are ready to go for the campaign ending and I have 1 final major software feature for V1 that I have been working on to announce!

Modulation buses - I have a long tutorial demo video to upload today. It's around 40 mins long and covers the basic stuff that isn't already covered in the other videos on the Kickstarter page. The video includes details on modulation buses - each step can now be coloured either:

Black (off)
White (on no modulation from macro pots or cv inputs)
Yellow (mod bus 1)
Red (mod bus 2)
Purple (mod bus 3)
Yellow/Purple
Yellow/Red
Red/Purple
Red/Purple/Yellow

In the current firmware you can step through these colours by pressing the right encoder but on the final module with the additional buttons each colour will have a shift function on one of the buttons so you can easily input which buses are active on each step.

In the modulation matrix screen - each parameter can select from any of the 3 modulation buses. This means that you can setup modulation on a per step basis - a nice example that I have recorded in today's video is assigning the Yellow modulation bus to phase shift on Macro Pot 1 then setting every other step on your active sequence to Yellow. Now you have smooth 360 degrees shuffle control assigned to Macro Pot 1 and still have 2 available modulation buses to assign to any or all of the other steps. It also means that CV can be targeted to specific steps!
IMG_0063.jpeg
nangu wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:24 am
This module was incredible in its original form. All the stuff you’ve added since is even more spectacular.

I’ve never seen this kind of forum-suggested ‘feature creep’ be so wholeheartedly embraced by a module designer. You are a saint. Thank you for being so awesome and bringing this beautiful thing into the world.
Thanks Nagu, the goal is to create the best module possible and if there are features that can be realistically implemented that improve the module then I am happy to include them!
Precarious wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Is there any concern some sample modules can't handle audio rate triggers? I'll have to test those I own to see using a vCO. Being unfamiliar with the limitations of digital modules I don't know if this is an actual concern or I'm worrying over nothing.
Hi Precarious, I have only been able to test with the Assimil8or so I can't say for sure how well all sample playback modules will deal with audio rate triggers, with gate length control you should be able to generate triggers that play nicely with most modules up to their trigger frequency limit. I can order some of the available sample modules and test this to see if there are any issues that I could improve with tweaks to the Flux firmware.
Benoist wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Sorry, I should have been more specific ...
It's the optical encoders speed that bugs me a lot : the time it took you to sweep 0 to 360° :help: ( also options for wrap arounds I hope )
Maybe adding a button that when pressed makes it X 10 time faster ?
Anyway thanks for your reactivity and openness !
Hi Benoist, ah I understand now! I had intended to add a coarse/fine parameter control option but I have added a *10 button on the final interface to solve this and I will tweak each parameter to react to the coarse change depending on the number of possible parameter values.
hru wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm
Very nice project in a time of ruling step sequencers with few steps
will there be the possibility of a simple unquantized recording function? (such a tape-machine)
Hi hru, this is a nice idea, we already record 8 16ths of steps for every channel for the delay algorithm so it would be possible to add a record feature potentially - it would not be ready for the V1 firmware but I will add this to the list of things to test for future firmware updates.
synonymist wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 pm
In any case... I would like the brass thumb screws, please. :) As of a few minutes ago, I am in for one FLUX. :party:

Barry, I thank you for your innovation and efforts, and I wish you Good Luck with the FLUX project.
Thanks for supporting the project synonymist!
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 am
in case that its true that sometimes many many turns on the encoder are necessary to dial in a parameter ( quasi endless-feeling turnings),
then would a additional button for x10 speed be a good idea, certainly.
+1 on this
Hi Funky40, this has been added to the final design, dialling in curvature value across 2000 possible values was not practical so I think this is a great solution.
Marizu wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 am
Will it be able to change patterns under CV control?
Hi Marizu, I need to test when we get micro SD card functionality but hopefully it will be possible to change presets with CV.

Thank you very much for all of the other comments! I think 90% are trying to help reach the stretch goals to get the variable voltage outputs so thank you all for helping with the project - I am going to remove the micro SD card and variable voltage outputs as stretch goals and confirm that they will be included for everyone, I think that they are too important. Now is the time to nail the hardware design, we can always improve the firmware over time but I want the hardware specs to be perfect for the longevity of the module and these are features that will be missed if we don't have them.

I had imagined in the original design that the auxiliary outputs could be patched to control dynamics and timbre but a synchronised and programmable variable voltage output per channel adds so much more flexibility so it has to be included. I am delighted and extremely appreciative of the support and enthusiasm from the community and I am excited to get patching myself with the expanded functionality!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chain Reacting

Dave_P
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dave_P » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:56 am

VCOscillator wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:58 am
I am going to remove the micro SD card and variable voltage outputs as stretch goals and confirm that they will be included for everyone; I think that they are too important. Now is the time to nail the hardware design, we can always improve the firmware over time but I want the hardware specs to be perfect for the longevity of the module and these are features that will be missed if we don't have them.
Bless you, sir; that's really good news! Thanks very much.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:48 am

Dave_P wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:56 am
VCOscillator wrote:
I am going to remove the micro SD card and variable voltage outputs as stretch goals and confirm that they will be included for everyone; I think that they are too important. Now is the time to nail the hardware design, we can always improve the firmware over time but I want the hardware specs to be perfect for the longevity of the module and these are features that will be missed if we don't have them.
Bless you, sir; that's really good news! Thanks very much.
Yes indeed. All hail Saint Barry the Farsighted and Reasonable! :cloud:

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:29 am

I am going to remove the micro SD card and variable voltage outputs as stretch goals and confirm that they will be included for everyone, I think that they are too important.
You sir are a champion of the people :goo:

Excitement level just got turned up to 11. I think long term, this decision will pay off in spades with post kickstarter sales. This module is going to be beyond epic. Thanks!

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:36 am

So awesome- thank you!! Best news I’ve heard in a long time.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 am

VCOscillator wrote:
............. and confirm that they will be included for everyone, I think that they are too important.
this is super super cool news ! I´m *really* excited !
VCOscillator wrote:
.......... but I want the hardware specs to be perfect for the longevity of the module .......
this will shurely play out for you on past kickstarter interests in this module. No doubt on this ;)

Barry, i´m not only excited about to know that the module i will get will be much more functional than initially advertised,
in fact as functional as i´d wish it to have it ;) .
I´m also excited to see an old spirit taking place here again,
a spirit that i was fortunate enough to experience in the old Modular DIY scene, 14-15 years back.

It´s MUCH appreciated !

:goo: :goo: :goo:
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 am

please delete

sorry, failed to edit my bad english and made a quote
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 am

Videos sure a pain to make, aren’t they? Hard to make out your voice at some points in today’s tutorial.

I think Flux is going to be a real boon to those in experimental music.

A lot of modules simply aren’t going to be able to keep up with trigger streams this dense and fast, and many have latency that will interfere. With samplers and sample playback units; Assimil8or and Mungo’s s0 and g0 units are looking good here.

Q: Is there any effective way with logic to mask/mute triggers? For example, if you’ve got a step with a density of 5, is there a process to mask off the 1st and 3rd trigger?

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:50 am

This module is going to open so many doors to experimentation. This is new territory. New possibilities to explore. New methods to devise and exploit. I'm beyond excited to be one of the first able to make use of this new tool. We're so lucky.

Thank you, Barry, for all your hard work and in being so understanding regarding desired functions and upgrades. This thing is going to be a real killer!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 pm

VCOscillator wrote:
I am going to remove the micro SD card and variable voltage outputs as stretch goals and confirm that they will be included for everyone, I think that they are too important.
Thank you! :hail:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 am
A lot of modules simply aren’t going to be able to keep up with trigger streams this dense and fast, and many have latency that will interfere. With samplers and sample playback units; Assimil8or and Mungo’s s0 and g0 units are looking good here.
As with most modules that have lots of related outputs, my brain immediately goes to my Verbos rig. This should be pretty interesting, stuffing the Harmonic Oscillator and Bark filter full of Flux gates. 0-10V should be acceptable but I might double check with Verbos. Am I correct in saying that the gate outputs are all 0-10V, and the new variable voltage out will be...variable? That one will be useful for the scanning or width CV in both modules.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:47 pm

VCOscillator wrote:
Wow, this is incredibly good news! The feature set both software-wise and hardware-wise has advanced exponentially during the short Kickstarter process, the only problem that remains now is I'm becoming really impatient to have the Flux in my rack. I guess that's not a bad problem to have...

Nice Job Barry!

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm

davidjames wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 pm
VCOscillator wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
As with most modules that have lots of related outputs, my brain immediately goes to my Verbos rig. This should be pretty interesting, stuffing the Harmonic Oscillator and Bark filter full of Flux gates. 0-10V should be acceptable but I might double check with Verbos. Am I correct in saying that the gate outputs are all 0-10V, and the new variable voltage out will be...variable? That one will be useful for the scanning or width CV in both modules.
Being able to configure the voltage range would be great. E.g. 0-5v. Or 0-10v

Velazquez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Velazquez » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 am

Hi,
have any of you found information about the price of Flux when it hits stores?
Will the regular price be higher than on Kickstarter?

Dave_P
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dave_P » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am

Velazquez wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 am
Hi,
Have any of you found information about the price of Flux when it hits stores? Will the regular price be higher than on Kickstarter?
To quote from the latest update on the Kickstarter page:
I will be manufacturing additional units alongside the modules backed by supporters on Kickstarter and will for a limited time offer pre-orders on the Flux website for anyone who has missed out on the campaign. From tomorrow onwards, pre-ordering Flux will cost £395 and, when the module eventually arrives in stores, the retail price should be around £450.
"Tomorrow" being 10th March given the quoted post is dated 9th March. As for "eventually", I would presume this will be some time after shipping of units to the KS pledges (currently planned for around August 2020).

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm

In!
:party:

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the positivity and support! I am just as excited as you are as this project began quite a few years ago to develop a rhythm sequencer that could create all of the rhythms that I wanted to explore in my case and I think that, with the help of the community, the final module specs will bring years of exploration and experimentation, I can't wait to get patching with the final design!

In today's update on Kickstarter I outlined how things will proceed between now and delivering modules to backers. All backers will receive their modules and a few months will be dedicated to perfecting and expanding the firmware before any time is dedicated to making the module more widely available (I am aiming for around December of this year for a batch of post Kickstarter modules and the above pricing kindly quoted from Kickstarter by Dave_P will be accurate and the £349 reward tier on Kickstarter is available until 9am GMT tomorrow (10th March)).

I am going to post weekly updates, every Friday on Kickstarter detailing manufacturing and firmware progress and a manufacturing/firmware roadmap will be posted this Friday detailing exactly what firmware features will ship in V1 with estimated dates for firmware additions/expansions.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Videos sure a pain to make, aren’t they? Hard to make out your voice at some points in today’s tutorial.

I think Flux is going to be a real boon to those in experimental music.

Q: Is there any effective way with logic to mask/mute triggers? For example, if you’ve got a step with a density of 5, is there a process to mask off the 1st and 3rd trigger?
Hi mdoudoroff, apologies, I wasn't completely happy with the tutorial video as I only had an afternoon set aside to record and edit but I think it is an OK placeholder to show the basic workflow as of now until I can get some final spec units sent to some more talented demo makers!

Thank you very much for the suggestion on muting/masking triggers within steps. I have a feature on the roadmap to add a mute/solo threshold parameter in the modulation matrix so that external voltages could be used to mute or solo triggers when the voltage or macro pot is under/over the threshold. Reducing the density to 3 in the specific example you mention would achieve a similar result to what you desire in that instance but it would be straight forward and inexpensive in terms of processing power to create some logical rules that could be imposed if I can make a nice UI space for it and anything that expands options with curve programming is a welcome addition - I will add this to the future firmware feature test list.
Modulus wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm
davidjames wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 pm
VCOscillator wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Being able to configure the voltage range would be great. E.g. 0-5v. Or 0-10v
Thanks for the comments davidjames & Modulus, all gate outputs are 0-10V and the variable output will also be 0-10V (the max output range will be configurable in software and will most likely default to 0-5V but I will confirm all of this in detail for you in updates in the next few weeks when I have the physical test boards on the bench).

It is exciting to be moving away from demos for a little while and into manufacturing full time! Please feel free to post any questions here on Muffs and you can contact me directly via the contact form on the Flux website tmsynthesis.com or via PM, please allow a couple of days to respond to PMs!
Last edited by VCOscillator on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chain Reacting

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Tim Lairy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm
In!
:party:
Thanks Tim! :party:
Chain Reacting

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstart

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 am

Please excuse me if this has been discussed before, but is there something like a “main page” when we switch Flux on, or do we go always to the parameter page of track 1, maybe?
I mean, some kind of main page with relevant parameters could be of use. For instance: displaying and changing step number of all tracks from the same page, also clock division per track, an offset for total number of triggers per track or an offset of curve shape...
This could help see and edit most relevant parameters without jumping from one track page to another.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Trying to understand the concept of “true” Euclidean rhythms with Flux, I made this short video.

Is this how it is suppose to work?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Hopefully, VCOscillator will clarify. I’ve been a bit bemused by the talk of “true Euclidean rhythms”, since my understanding is that Euclidean is a quantizing process by definition. The spacing artifacts of that quantization process is what is interesting about Euclidean rhythms.

So far, what I’m seeing in Flux is polyrhythms. To my understanding, the final state of your animation would be more accurately depicted thusly (top row five triggers distributed with a Euclidean formula across an eight-step period; bottom row Flux evenly spacing five triggers in same period):

Or maybe I’m off my nut?

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Maybe the two modes would be possible and selectable. Or maybe even a traditional mode, and then the Flux mode? Who knows? Flux seems to be all about breaking the rules.
Waiting for VCOscillator to say something.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Probably does not that fit the technical definition of Euclidean rhythm but I don't know there is a more accurate way to describe the concept of fitting an arbitrary number of pulses within a set length, then slewing distribution along a curve. Seems to be a whole new world to explore but maybe someone knows where the idea originates and can fill us in.

The only sequencer able to do this previously (that I'm aware of) is Buchla 252e and then only using the sub-divided cell channel with a maximum of 7 triggers with slew available in either direction. 252e also has a dedicated Euclidean rhythm function that works on Godfried Toussaint's concept measured against the number of cells in each ring.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”