FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer Launching Soon on Kickstarter

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Going from memory here, but it's a little more complex than that.

Most gate sequencers can output a gate per step, and usually have anywhere from 8 to 64 steps available. FLUX has gate sequences of up to 64 steps (I believe), but the individual "steps" can be composed of more than one gate, up to 64!

So one individual step in a sequence can have many gates fired, and one way of controlling the timing and density of those steps is through the curve shape you mentioned. A triangular shape I believe should start with zero density, and steadily increase density up to the halfway point of the step, then steadily decrease to zero by the end.

If you go the Kickstarter and watch a few of the early videos, he shows this concept pretty clearly. But he's added a LOT more to the software since then...
dooj88 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:32 am
do i understand it correctly that this outputs triggers based on the velocity of the curve shape along the X axis? eg a triangle might output an even density of triggers, but something with a modulated fourier transformation would have a more complex rhythmic output? i'm thinking about ways to test how i'd use this functionality by using an a/d converter (i've got a Vert) and a logic module before i commit to a dedicated sequencer.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:22 pm

will be funny to get to see this thing in action in persona.........

my final upfront thought stands:
i could imagine that this guy will enhance the idea further and i could imagine him bringing a very own sequenzer concept based on all this.

but right now would i personally not look at the flux as something that i´d want to have "instead" of a real sequenzer.

*just thinking out loud* :
i´m not shure if the Flux has this allready, but what could be very useful is a own clock out ( per track, sacrificing one of the 3 trigger outs),
that is in relation to its internal "sequenz settings" but in a very clever way that it could make a accompaniing CV sequenzer fit with the flux´s own sequenze.
not shure if such would be doable. Probably it is, but might not allways turn out to be perfectly musical i´d suspect.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 am

Funky40 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:22 pm
i´m not shure if the Flux has this allready, but what could be very useful is a own clock out ( per track, sacrificing one of the 3 trigger outs),
that is in relation to its internal "sequenz settings" but in a very clever way that it could make a accompaniing CV sequenzer fit with the flux´s own sequenze.
From what I understand, in addition to the main output and the CV output, each channel also has 2 aux outputs that can be used to output a division of the main clock.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:11 am

richc90 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 am
From what I understand, in addition to the main output and the CV output, each channel also has 2 aux outputs that can be used to output a division of the main clock.
Correct, 4 channels each consisting of 4 outputs:
1. Main Temporal Modulation Rhythm
2. Aux output of delayed/offset copy of main output, offset logic divisions of main output, clock divisions with offset
3. Aux same as 2
4. CV out either static or dynamic, set incrementally or quantized, capable of LFOs and envelopes in future updates

In addition to the obvious uses of the CV outs, they will be useful to control filters or VCAs of the sounds triggered by the other outs to add dynamics. For instance, complex rhythm through a VCA for volume changes, modulation of filter or some other parameter of the module producing percussion. In addition to sequencing note or pattern changes on other modules, I get the impression the fixed voltages will be useful for self-patching to other channels to sequence changes at a frequency different from what they are running.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 am

so it's useful to think of this as a modulation sequencer along with the obvious trigger patterns as well

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 am

dooj88 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 am
so it's useful to think of this as a modulation sequencer along with the obvious trigger patterns as well
Yes, the addition of dynamic CV outputs greatly expanded the capabilities of FLUX. Each step of each track represents 3 gate patterns and CV. 4 channels of that is a lot of power. Factor in the macro controls and modulation busses and heads start to explode. :ripbanana:

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:55 am

so pretty much same specs as in Tetrapad- Tete combo...maybe more imeediate

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:01 pm

is it? it seems like a totally different beast to me. the Tetra is based around touch pad interactions more than sequencing no? i know they've gone down that road more with the updates at Tete, but i don't really see much overlap with Flux at all.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:08 pm

You can sequence with tete... In loopy mode I guess.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:53 pm

ah. gotcha. i've had a Tetrapad 3 times, want to love it, but interactive tap pads aren't for me. too much setup to make it work nifty? just not my jam.

never used the Tete. seemed like what sequencing it did was pretty shallow? havna used though.

what excites me BUTT tons about the Flux is all the funky neat weird sequencing options. looks deeeeep. but the interactivity across outputs looks FUN.

i have the wiggles.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm

behndy wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:53 pm
what excites me BUTT tons about the Flux is all the funky neat weird sequencing options. looks deeeeep. but the interactivity across outputs looks FUN.
Sooo Deeeeeep! The number of possible options is beyond my comprehension. That's pretty damn exciting. I think about assigning parameter changes across all 4 channels to one of the macro knobs, then patching CV from one channel to control the knob. You can do that 4 times using each macro knob and channel CV. That's just nuts. But thinking about using those CVs to control other modules is just as exciting. Thinking about that CV controlling the fader on Noise Engineering Confundo Funkitus to morph 4 channels of gates from FLUX between different patterns. DEAD :zombie:

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 am

Precarious wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm
behndy wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:53 pm
Sooo Deeeeeep! The number of possible options is beyond my comprehension. That's pretty damn exciting. I think about assigning parameter changes across all 4 channels to one of the macro knobs, then patching CV from one channel to control the knob. You can do that 4 times using each macro knob and channel CV. That's just nuts. But thinking about using those CVs to control other modules is just as exciting. Thinking about that CV controlling the fader on Noise Engineering Confundo Funkitus to morph 4 channels of gates from FLUX between different patterns. DEAD :zombie:
I thought that.. but im not sure the confundo logic would deal with unusual timings.. ive found that it spits out unfunky stuff between 16ths.. convince me otherwise coz i’ll have this combo!

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 am

Tim Lairy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 am
I thought that.. but im not sure the confundo logic would deal with unusual timings.. ive found that it spits out unfunky stuff between 16ths.. convince me otherwise coz i’ll have this combo!
Interesting. I'll have to try it to find out. Works well with Erica Drum Sequencer but that's generally no crazier than swung timing. Makes sense that triggers outside of a quantized grid would end up sounding somewhat random. Even if I use FLUX to have Confundo mix between Erica Drum patterns that will still be a cool way to tie the two together within a patch.

Also thinking of how useful the CVs will be with Noise Engineering BIA, Assimil8or, Futureretro Transient, or any of the WMD drum modules. So many possible destinations in my drum case. Will be interesting to see how different modules respond to really fast gates as well. Curious how Folktek Matter and ADDAC103 T-Networks respond.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:35 pm

just realised how useful the aux outputs are going to be for creating accent patterns related to the main sequence.

Flux plus Assimil8tor and QMMF is gonna let me create the hardware sampler I always wanted, with everything multitracked to Ableton and integrated with via ES-9.

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Precarious wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 am
Tim Lairy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 am
Interesting. I'll have to try it to find out. Works well with Erica Drum Sequencer but that's generally no crazier than swung timing. Makes sense that triggers outside of a quantized grid would end up sounding somewhat random. Even if I use FLUX to have Confundo mix between Erica Drum patterns that will still be a cool way to tie the two together within a patch.

Also thinking of how useful the CVs will be with Noise Engineering BIA, Assimil8or, Futureretro Transient, or any of the WMD drum modules. So many possible destinations in my drum case. Will be interesting to see how different modules respond to really fast gates as well. Curious how Folktek Matter and ADDAC103 T-Networks respond.
Yeh..for sure i’ll be trying too!

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:06 pm

richc90 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:35 pm
just realised how useful the aux outputs are going to be for creating accent patterns related to the main sequence.

Flux plus Assimil8tor and QMMF is gonna let me create the hardware sampler I always wanted, with everything multitracked to Ableton and integrated with via ES-9.
Hell yeah! They will be great for accents. You can have aux run a copy of the main out of the channel, then divide so only every 4th note (or whatever division) plays. Can be a really fun way to create accent patterns by just changing division, offset, etc. And all of that can be tied to a macro or CV in. Or use an offset copy of the accent pattern to an envelope that opens a filter a few 16th later in answer to the percussion accent.

I'm thinking how you can use 3 channels for relatively straight 4/4 rhythms then the 4th running only 3, 5, or 7 steps. Use that 4th channel to to program changes to the other 3 using the CV to modulation matrix. Great way to change things up for maximum variation without obvious repetition.

This thing is going to be such a monster! I don't think I've ever been so excited about a module.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:04 pm

ye, I'm so excited. I never found my euro sequencer but I'm so hype for this.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:18 pm

........i fear it will make me want to have an assimilator :cry: ;)

and i hope i don´t have to wear a aluminum headband with a copper plate attached to it,
so that my head won´t explode when just begin to think about whats to do, haha

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:18 pm
........i fear it will make me want to have an assimilator :cry: ;)

and i hope i don´t have to wear a aluminum headband with a copper plate attached to it,
so that my head won´t explode when just begin to think about whats to do, haha
I had no desire to own Assimil8or until I watched the FLUX demos. Now I own one. :eek:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I’m hoping the BItbox will—in the end—suffice for use with Flux. I respect Assimil8or, but I don’t want to have to use one.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm

I have both the Bitbox + Assimil8or and am in the first 50 backers, I am kind of interested to see how they compare.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:30 pm

Assimil8or is bossssss. super good. BitBox is wonderful as wonderful as well. if i still had a Squid Salmple, that's what i'd most want to pair with the Flux.

i'm going to try first with some drum modules. i love the 2hp Drums with a 2hp Mix for a tiny TINY group of modulatable thingers, but i might go back to the WMD Crater et al. was realllly trying to stay with a pair of Pod 64s as my little modular setup.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:13 am

pekbro wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm
I have both the Bitbox + Assimil8or and am in the first 50 backers, I am kind of interested to see how they compare.
I will patiently await your report. :)

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:46 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:13 am
pekbro wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm
I will patiently await your report. :)
I will do my best, though no doubt it will pale in comparison to your excellent reporting of whatnot :tu:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:32 pm

mmmmm looks like they're to be shipping sooooooon.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”