FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Post by akavalve » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 am

Seems like a ridiculous question...how do I mute a step?
Seems like the random pattern generator does it but I can't figure out how to do it manually.

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am

akavalve wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 am
Seems like the random pattern generator does it but I can't figure out how to do it manually.
Literally press the physical ‘on’ button.. took me a while to realise this & that you can use arrows to move between steps also!

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am

Tim Lairy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am
akavalve wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 am
Literally press the physical ‘on’ button.. took me a while to realise this & that you can use arrows to move between steps also!
Haha! I kept thinking 'on' was actually power somehow and hadn't touched it. Thanks!

autopilote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by autopilote » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm

blipson wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:18 am
I just bought a new SanDisk 16GB microSD. MacOS's Disk Utility verifies it's formatted as FAT32. I get the exact same failures to save and load as the first microSD. The first microSD is a SanDisk 64GB. Is there some other troubleshooting technique to try? Everything else about my Flux seems to work correctly, including upgrading the firmware on the Teensy.
i had the same issues. all FAT32 formatted on macOS, with a variety of sandisk SDs. otherwise flux was working well. i finally got an 8gb sandisk edge to read properly. i sent all the stuff i tested to barry to see if he could identify any particular reason for this.

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Anybody knows when the next batch is coming ?

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:51 pm

autopilote wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm
i had the same issues. all FAT32 formatted on macOS, with a variety of sandisk SDs. otherwise flux was working well. i finally got an 8gb sandisk edge to read properly. i sent all the stuff i tested to barry to see if he could identify any particular reason for this.
Thanks, I've just ordered an 8GB SanDisk Edge. I must say, I don't know (and haven't been able to easily discover) the difference between all these SanDisks, except for displayed speed ratings. I've seen other hardware say it won't work with microSD's larger than 32GB, so I tried the 16GB because I haven't seen an 8GB available in a store for years. My 16GB is an Ultra HC 1, and my 64GB is a Kingston XC 1, whatever those mean.

So now you've been without your Flux even though it works and you found a functioning microSD just so Barry could do an exploratiion? Thanks for that. What has Barry said?

AXN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AXN » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm

100000bps wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Anybody knows when the next batch is coming ?
I ordered one a week ago, Barry said it should ship within 8 weeks, so within 7 weeks from now.

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:09 am

New Firmware update: Open Beta V1.05: Variations update now available for download!

Variations Update
Flux firmware update ‘Open Beta V1.05’ is now available for download and has been developed to address community feedback regarding internal loop variation options. With this update, we have aimed to bring internal modulation and randomisation options to Flux with the ability to save and recall your modulation alongside your rhythmic experiments in presets. Our solutions to loop variations are included in V1.05 in 2 new features: probability & a new modulation UI that we have titled ‘Evolve’.

Probability
Probability arrives with this update in a new main UI parameter (replacing the ‘Step’ parameter as this functionality is available via the interface buttons). Probability is programmable (like most Flux parameters) per step, per channel and comes in 2 modes: step probability and trigger probability.

Steps in Flux can send up to 64 triggers to the main rhythm output. The new probability feature allows users to select a probability value between 0-100% that the triggers will be sent. In step mode, probability is calculated once at the start of the step and all triggers are either sent, or not, with a likelihood determined by your probability % selection. In trigger mode, probability is calculated for each trigger within the step individually.

With 4 channels, each with 16 steps, up to 64 probability settings can be active across your module’s channels in a single patch.

Evolve
EvolveUI.jpg
The Evolve UI is a new, third modulation UI alongside CV inputs and Macro Pots. Evolve adds 85 internal LFOs to Flux, each dedicated to a particular parameter with each LFO offering a unique frequency, waveform and maximum offset parameter. Alongside traditional waveforms, random LFO options in the Evolve UI also allow you to set up detailed and timed randomisation settings for each parameter. Each of the Evolve LFOs also passes through a virtual VCA with a dry/wet % parameter. Each channel has a unique master VCA LFO to control the amplification of all Evolve LFO outputs.

Some exciting new parameters are possible to modulate in the Evolve UI including TM curve select (CURV) and BPM (internal clock mode only).

Persistent Configuration Options
Open Beta V1.05 also introduces the first automatic, persistent configuration options to Flux. BPM, Shuffle, Shuffle 16th, Internal/External Clock, PPQN, * momentary or latching, ALL momentary or latching and a new BOOT parameter (boot the sequencer in a started or stopped state) are all auto saved and loaded across power cycles to save repetitive setup tasks when booting Flux. Configuration options are accessed on page 3 of the main UI. A micro SD card is required to enable this feature as your config is stored and recalled automatically from the micro SD.

FULL PATCH NOTES:

New Features:

- Evolve UI added to modulation pages, bringing 85 internal LFOs with unique frequency, wave shape, depth and a virtual VCA for each.

- VCA added to the Macro/CV mod matrix UI. This allows the Evolve LFO’s VCAs output amplification to be controlled by Macro Pots or CV inputs.

- PROB parameter added to main UI page 1 with per step, per channel options for full step or individual trigger probability of being sent.

- * and ALL buttons now function within MOD pages for faster navigation and parameter selection. In the Evolve UI, ALL being active adds to or subtracts from all parameter’s values. In the Macro and CV pages, ALL being active sets the modulation range for all channels.

- RESET button added to all modulation pages. Right click for 2 seconds on the reset button to reset all modulation values to 0.

- Density can now be set to 0 to allow interesting modulation options starting from silence.

- Blinking ALL and * indicators added to the MOD & uSD pages.

- Added momentary or latching options for * and ALL buttons.

- Persistent configuration added for BPM, SHUF, SH16, CLK, PPQN, * MODE, ALL MODE and BOOT Started/Stopped.

- Updated the main UI page 3 with new configuration options.

- 24 and 48 PPQN options added.

Fixes/Improvements

- Humanize range now limited to 127 for legacy preset compatibility. 0-100 is the same subtle range while the new extreme ranges are mapped from 101-127.

- Testing a new fix for Humanize dropped triggers in external clock mode.

- Fixed an issue in which quantization nodes would not recall with presets after a power cycle.

- Sample and Hold per step text changed from ‘0 or 1’ to ‘ON or OFF’.

- Fixed LFO ignoring MINV and MAXV settings in Sample and Hold mode when trigger density is > 1.

- Changed MINV & MAXV mod matrix * parameter change value from 1000 to 250.

- Fixed an issue with Gate Length when Phase Shifting.

- The user manual has been updated and is included in the firmware zip file.

Download available now!
https://www.tmsynthesis.com/firmware

Some awesome user demos:

Friendly Noise has posted an overview of the new features to Youtube!

An awesome rhythmic exploration compilation from Joe Manton:

Some intricate patch work in this playlist from Synonymist:

I would like to thank Joe and Friendly Noise for all of their extensive help in testing this update and I hope that the community will have fun with the new features. The next update will focus on external clock mode improvements :party:

Please send any bug reports via the contact form at the bottom of each page on the website, thank you:
https://www.tmsynthesis.com
Last edited by VCOscillator on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Chain Reacting

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:12 am

100% made with Flux 1.05. Video demos coming... 😃😃😃
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kg435q9zruiu ... 1.wav?dl=0

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:18 am

I updated to 1.05b, and BOOT isn't persistent across power cycles. I also tested BPM, and it's not persistent either. Is there something we need to do to enable persistence?

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:36 am

blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:18 am
I updated to 1.05b, and BOOT isn't persistent across power cycles. I also tested BPM, and it's not persistent either. Is there something we need to do to enable persistence?
Hi blipson,

Apologies, I should have made this clearer in the text but do you have a micro SD card inserted? Your config is auto saved to a file on the micro SD but the feature will not work if no micro SD is present. Changing any of the persistent parameters automatically overwrites the previous config file with a new save. The file is then auto-loaded during startup.
Chain Reacting

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:16 pm

As I reported above (see 2 posts above your firmware announcement), my Flux doesn't recognize my 16GB and 64GB SanDisk microSD's. I've ordered an 8GB SanDisk Edge because someone reported that worked for them. If you have any advice to get the microSD working, I'd appreciate that.

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:36 pm

blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:16 pm
As I reported above (see 2 posts above your firmware announcement), my Flux doesn't recognize my 16GB and 64GB SanDisk microSD's. I've ordered an 8GB SanDisk Edge because someone reported that worked for them. If you have any advice to get the microSD working, I'd appreciate that.
Sorry to hear that blipson,

Have you tried formatting as FAT16? That has solved all problems for users that have contacted me with Micro SD issues.
Chain Reacting

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:59 pm

Wow!, upgrade heaven. I don’t have the equipment to execute the firmware upgrade! However Frank does and I know he’s gonna love having a wiggle whilst he helps me out. Thanks Barry this revision looks real exciting.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm

VCOscillator wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:36 pm
Have you tried formatting as FAT16? That has solved all problems for users that have contacted me with Micro SD issues.
Actually, how do you format as FAT16 on MacOS? For my 16GB and 64GB SD's. None of Disk Utility's choices works in the Flux. My 8GB SD will be delayed in getting here.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I simply formatted my 16GB card as FAT16 in a Terminal. It now works properly in the Flux.

Here's my first attempt at a track, by the way:

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:09 pm

Wow, you could literally get a Bachelors degree in programming the Flux. A lifetime of rhythmic exploration awaits us lucky Flux owners. Thank you for the incredible update Barry! This has definitely exceeded my expectations.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm

Watching the 1.05 overview video, it looks like Evolve's "FREQ" designates the LFO's length, but it's a little confusing to think of it as a frequency. Isn't it in fact the period, not the frequency? If so, perhaps titling its column "PER" would be more intuitive.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 am

blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm
Watching the 1.05 overview video, it looks like Evolve's "FREQ" designates the LFO's length, but it's a little confusing to think of it as a frequency. Isn't it in fact the period, not the frequency? If so, perhaps titling its column "PER" would be more intuitive.
It is really the frequency, but it is not measured in seconds or cycles per minute. It is measured in number of steps. It is logical because if you change BPM, the Evolve LFOs still follow the step number. You will adapt quickly. :-)

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 am
it is not measured in seconds or cycles per minute. It is measured in number of steps.
What you've said here is that it's not frequency, but period. It seems logical to you because frequency and period are inverses, and you have adapted to an inverted logic. :-) But this will be unnecessarily confusing to new users and when returning to the device after a long time away from it. I mean, you could name everything "X," "Y," "Z," etc. and I could have adapted to that, too, but a UI should be less cognitively taxing, not more. If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

In FriendlyVoice's demo at 7:56, he tries to invert the inversion (complicate a complication) by saying, "Remember: with Evolve, higher freq values equals slower mod speed, because the value is the number of steps for a LFO cycle." He's talking about the length of one cycle (period) not a number of cycles (frequency). It would be better if the FREQ column were named "PERIOD" so that FriendlyVoice could instead say:

"Remember: with Evolve, a longer period means a slower mod speed because the length of the period is the number of steps for one LFO cycle." In fact, if it were named clearly, there might be no need to add this kind of clarifying note. If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 am

blipson wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 am
What you've said here is that it's not frequency, but period. It seems logical to you because frequency and period are inverses, and you have adapted to an inverted logic. :-) But this will be unnecessarily confusing to new users and when returning to the device after a long time away from it.
Yeah, I think that you're right here. It was a little confusing when I watched the (amazing) video. It would be great if it could be changed, but I can also adapt.

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am

Thanks for the feedback, these are fair points and I did give this some thought. The reason for selecting 'Freq' over a better descriptor was primarily UI space and the familiarity of frequency as a parameter for an LFO but I agree with the point raised. There is space for 4 letters and if 'Peri' would be a clear description of the parameter's function then that is no problem and I will change it. I also considered 'Wave' over 'LFO', would that be an improvement also? I am happy to make any changes to make the UI more intuitive.
Chain Reacting

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 am

blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Very nice indeed!
Chain Reacting

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:47 am

"PER" would also work for period if you need to save a char (is the Greek letter tau available?). Likewise, "WAV" for wave. I think "wave" is a bit better than "LFO," but it's not a big difference. How about "shape"? It fits in with the evolve idea. Then you could use "SHP".
VCOscillator wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 am
Very nice indeed!
That's kind of you to say. I think I can get a much better sound once my recording mixer is back from the shop. And now that I'm able to store my work, sky's the limit!

optx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optx » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:01 am

Now that's what I call an update, thanks Barry!

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:52 am

VCOscillator wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 am
blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Sounding great. :-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”