FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Post by scragz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:14 pm

blipson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:27 am
In that case, being able to trigger melodic lines in the traditional way just wouldn't be worth their vibe-killing rhythms.
I use Vector as my melody sequencer alongside Flux and have had great success clocking Vector patterns with Flux rhythms.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:35 pm

We’re getting into quite a tangent here with the Eloquencer comparison—maybe it can be split off into a separate thread?

I owned an Eloquencer and I own a Flux. They’re both ‘fruit’, but comparing them is apples & oranges, or perhaps apples & quinoa. Describing Eloquencer as “square” isn’t entirely inappropriate. I’ve often summarized it as having a strong “techno bias”, which is maybe a little too specific, but it points at a truth. Eloquencer has eight channels, but the way the UI is designed, they’re really ganged together in important ways. There are various strategies to work around the edges, but like most tools, Eloquencer most naturally excels at a narrower use case than its bullet points suggest. I would also characterize Eloquencer as an excellent x0x-ish gate sequencer with pitch/melody features a bit “tacked on” (although I understand there have been some advancements with recent firmware). What a sequencer does is often less relevant that workflow. Eloquencer, as an x0x-style device, has a pretty quick workflow, particularly when you’re playing to its aforementioned strengths.

Flux is also first-and-foremost a gate sequencer, too, but it comes at it all from a unique angle. Flux’s “steps” are really more like the “stages” in USTA (or Control Forge, Buchla MARF/DARF et al, except that unlike some of those, you can actually *clock* both Flux and USTA). Flux’s original selling point is its ability to generate wildly varied trigger/gate ‘bursts’ (distributed through a stage) off the grid. There really aren’t any battleship sequencers out there that are remotely similar (some mild/squinty overlap with Control Forge). Since the original pitch, the CV generation capabilities of Flux have dramatically expanded and evolved, but that doesn’t make Flux any easier to categorize. The Flux workflow is similar to Control Forge or the ER-101: you navigate from stage to stage, and you edit myriad parameters for that stage through a ‘window’ of sorts; slower and more deliberate.

[like scragz, I now pair my Flux with a Vector; I also use a Metron]

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Before I go and buy a Divkid Mutes to pair with my Flux...is there a way to mute individual track outs that I've missed?

Precarious
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Precarious » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm

akavalve wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 pm
Before I go and buy a Divkid Mutes to pair with my Flux...is there a way to mute individual track outs that I've missed?
There is a dedicated "ON" button that turns the selected channel off/on, but there is currently no way to mute the aux outs. I believe this will be addressed with future firmware or add-ons.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:44 pm

[/quote]

As you say, Flux has incredible control of voltages. It just does things in a different way.
What I meant was that Eloquencer has patterns that are up to 64 specific, individual, notes. This means that you could probably play a melody, like the theme to Star Wars with it (I definitely could with my Nerdseq). I'd struggle to get this out of Flux. This is not a criticism of Flux, just an acknowledgment that its focus is different.

I have been pairing it with Generator+ and a sequential switch. This gives me up to 48 distinct notes that can be clocked by Flux's unique rhythmical power.

I am hoping that it is possible to have a channel of Flux generating a temporally modulated 24ppqn clock that can be followed by another sequencer. This would bring Flux grooves to more traditionally melodically oriented sequencers. My Nerdseq doesn't swing easily. I'm hoping that I can get this to work with it.
Is anybody else doing this?
[/quote]

No doubt: for melodic work, Eloquencer wins hands down. It’s not Flux’ fault. It was simply designed with other goals in mind. Eloquencer offers a great balance between rhythm and melodies.

Flux can modulate internal BMP using the new Evolve modulation page. Those BMP changes will be active in all trigger outputs. So you can theoretically modulate the timing of other modules, as long as they can process those changes without going out of sync (again not Flux’ fault).

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Precarious wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm
akavalve wrote:
There is a dedicated "ON" button that turns the selected channel off/on, but there is currently no way to mute the aux outs. I believe this will be addressed with future firmware or add-ons.
Thanks. At the risk of being thick...it seems like the 'ON' turns steps on and off but not the channel.
In 'ALL' mode 'ON' can mute all the steps but doesn't preserve the mute state of previously muted steps on unmute.
Is there a different way to use it that turns the channel on and off but preserves the pattern of mutes?

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm

akavalve wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm
Precarious wrote:
akavalve wrote:
Thanks. At the risk of being thick...it seems like the 'ON' turns steps on and off but not the channel.
In 'ALL' mode 'ON' can mute all the steps but doesn't preserve the mute state of previously muted steps on unmute.
Is there a different way to use it that turns the channel on and off but preserves the pattern of mutes?
You could use the new zero density function together with a macro pot to make Flux stop generating triggers. If you have a maximal density of, let’s say, 6 in in your pattern, set a -6 modulation depth for density in the desired macro pot mod page. That works with external CV, too.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm
akavalve wrote:
Precarious wrote:
akavalve wrote:
You could use the new zero density function together with a macro pot to make Flux stop generating triggers. If you have a maximal density of, let’s say, 6 in in your pattern, set a -6 modulation depth for density in the desired macro pot mod page. That works with external CV, too.
That's cool. Need to upgrade the firmware but will definitely experiment with this. Thanks!

Precarious
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Precarious » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:02 pm

akavalve wrote:
My bad, you are correct. I was using it as a mute on tracks with only a single step.

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:10 pm

AXN wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm
100000bps wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Anybody knows when the next batch is coming ?
I ordered one a week ago, Barry said it should ship within 8 weeks, so within 7 weeks from now.
Thanks, got in line :). Can't wait to try it.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Precarious wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:02 pm
akavalve wrote:
My bad, you are correct. I was using it as a mute on tracks with only a single step.
Understandable....crazy how much Flux can do with just a single step, right?

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:23 pm

On clocking other devices from Flux (another correct me if I'm wrong):

There is not a dedicated clock out.
Clock out is obtained from an Aux out on a individual track.
So to maintain clock out across presets you need to make sure you dedicate that Aux out as Clock Out in any of the presets you plan to switch to during a performance.

Not a big deal....just checking to be sure.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm

akavalve wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:23 pm

So to maintain clock out across presets you need to make sure you dedicate that Aux out as Clock Out in any of the presets you plan to switch to during a performance.

That´s right. Having multiple aux outputs, you can clock multiple devices at different clock rates too.

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm
akavalve wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:23 pm

That´s right. Having multiple aux outputs, you can clock multiple devices at different clock rates too.
How finely/smoothly can the BPM be varied by cv/macropot?

My favorite clock source is still just a simple doepfer envelope in looping mode - infinite resolution and phase shifting.

I am expecting a mail from Barry to complete my order any day now. :yay:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:18 am

[/quote]

How finely/smoothly can the BPM be varied by cv/macropot?

My favorite clock source is still just a simple doepfer envelope in looping mode - infinite resolution and phase shifting.

I am expecting a mail from Barry to complete my order any day now. :yay:
[/quote]

You can’t actually vary BPM directly by cv/macro pot. BMP is modulated internally by the Evolve LFOs. What you can do is assign a cv/macro pot to control the depth of the LFO modulation.
For example, you can’t change BPM from 120 to 100 turning a macro pot. But you can activate Evolve LFO modulation going from 120 to 100 BPM turning the macro pot. How abrupt or smooth the modulation is, will depend on the LFO shape and length in steps:

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:33 am

Thanks for that very helpful reply - and a video! :mrgreen: I'll have to do a deep dive into the Evolve page and get the hang of it.
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 am

Is there a print friendly version of the v1.5 manual?

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm

akavalve wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 am
Download as pdf and print?

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm
akavalve wrote:
Download as pdf and print?
There was a version of the earlier documentation with a white background instead of black. The black looks great but uses a lot of ink/toner when printed (unless there is some pdf magic I'm missing).

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm

I'm having a few issues loading presets from the previous firmware after updating to 1.5.
I'll probably just delete old presets since the new 1.5 features are so attractive, but just for the record:

All probabilities default to 0 so no trigs generated until changed.

Flux freezes on Evolve page after pressing Mod button. Reboot required.

Apologies if there's an 'old presets won't work' warning that I missed.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm

akavalve wrote:
I've attached my copy of the PDF. @Barry, if you would prefer that I don't post it here, please let me know.
Flux-UserManual-1_05b.pdf
(4.23 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 pm

blipson wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm
akavalve wrote:
I've attached my copy of the PDF. @Barry, if you would prefer that I don't post it here, please let me know.

Flux-UserManual-1_05b.pdf
Thanks for posting. That one does come with the firmware download.
In an earlier iteration Barry had done a 'print friendly' version with a white background instead of black.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 pm

I've just realized the Vermona Perfourmer (with the CV interface option) looks like the perfect companion for Flux. Anyone have one?

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 pm

akavalve wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm
I'm having a few issues loading presets from the previous firmware after updating to 1.5.
I'll probably just delete old presets since the new 1.5 features are so attractive, but just for the record:

All probabilities default to 0 so no trigs generated until changed.

Flux freezes on Evolve page after pressing Mod button. Reboot required.

Apologies if there's an 'old presets won't work' warning that I missed.
Freezing here also amongst other things.
Drop Barry a message

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:19 pm

blipson wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 pm
I've just realized the Vermona Perfourmer (with the CV interface option) looks like the perfect companion for Flux. Anyone have one?
I don't have the Perfourmer, but I do have the Vermona DRM1 mk3 with CV triggers. Only mentioning it here because when combining the DRM1 with Flux, the DRM1 will stop responding once the triggers reach a certain speed. The DRM1 can't handle very fast triggers, it will stop responding or only allow an occasional trigger through (like 1 in 50-100 at certain speeds).

It responds perfectly well up to a point though. Which is pretty fast, but not really that fast. And no where near as fast as Flux can deliver.

Again, I have no idea how the DRM1 trigger inputs compare to the Perfourmer so this information may be not at all helpful.

Cheers

Return to “Eurorack Modules”