FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer

Post by blipson » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:41 am

joeman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:19 pm
when combining the DRM1 with Flux, the DRM1 will stop responding once the triggers reach a certain speed. The DRM1 can't handle very fast triggers, it will stop responding or only allow an occasional trigger through (like 1 in 50-100 at certain speeds).

It responds perfectly well up to a point
Well, that doesn't sound good at all. I mean, the Perfourmer is the older design (right?), so there's no reason to think it would respond any better. Not that I plan on audio rate triggering---on the contrary, I've so far used those up to 64 triggers at low bpm's to articulate rhythmic forms, not tones. But still. Maybe Perfourmer's expensive CV add-on is designed for a higher level performance? Considering its price, though, I don't think I want to buy a Perfourmer on spec.

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 am

I find that the inability for the DRM1 to respond to the very fast triggers is actually of no cause for concern at all. The DRM1 can be triggered fast enough for me and I'm sure most people. Every euro module also has its limits to trigger input speeds that it can handle. I think the Perfourmer (like pretty much anything at all) would be great to pair with Flux! Because Flux is just so amazing. :party:

I would say, the amount of groove possibilities with Flux on its own without any other modules but sound making ones, is some orders of magnitude greater than any other sequencer with "16 steps", and this of course applies even before it starts playing too fast for xyz module's gate/trigger input to respond without dropping triggers. It is a truly magnificently vastly stupendously incredibly mind-bogglingly astounding groove box. I am off topic I know, I just wanted to sing the praises of Flux while I was here! :wow:
Last edited by joeman on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:26 am

joeman wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 am
I find that the inability for the DRM1 to respond to the very fast triggers is actually of no cause for concern at all. The DRM1 can be triggered fast enough for me and I'm sure most people. Every euro module also has its limits to trigger input speeds that it can handle. I think the Perfourmer (like pretty much anything at all) would be great to pair with Flux!
Maybe manufacturers should start testing if their modules are Flux-approved. :hihi:

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 am

One big problem with Perfourmer is that I can't find it in stock anywhere, except a place in Japan charging double the normal price.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:06 am

A little ambient with only one single step!!!!!

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am

Can someone recommend a video where the the basic functionality and philosophy is described?

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am

MvK wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am
Can someone recommend a video where the the basic functionality and philosophy is described?
Search YouTube for "IOLabs Flux 01," then in order up to "IOLabs Flux 26" for FriendlyVoice's tutorials and demo performances.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am

blipson wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am
MvK wrote:
Search YouTube for "IOLabs Flux 01," then in order up to "IOLabs Flux 26" for FriendlyVoice's tutorials and demo performances.
thx

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosmische » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:22 pm

blipson wrote:
MvK wrote:
While I've thoroughly enjoyed FriendlyVoice's videos, I would respectfully disagree that basic functionality and/or philosophies are described. More that the patches and step parameters are set up beforehand and the videos simply show tweaking macro pots to achieve some cool results. I'd love to see a video walkthrough at some point where someone actually narrates and explains/translates Flux's concepts to demonstrate their effect on a pattern. Thankfully, the new version of the manual is a bit more in-depth and descriptive than it was for the first few months of its release, I feel I'm getting a little closer to wrapping my head around it.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm

There was one where they did a deep walkthrough of everything. There was also an official tutorial video but I think it got pulled to be redone.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:35 pm

blipson wrote:
MvK wrote:
Hi guys, there’s a playlist now for your convenience:

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDxv3 ... I6uR_zQ9H2

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm

I think the core functionality and philosophy can be summarized thusly:
  • Internal or external clocking.
  • Four channels/tracks.
  • 1-16 variable-length steps per channel/track (therefore better described as stages than steps); length of step/stage is related to the clock, it is NOT a fixed time duration like you see on Control Forge
  • (what follows is functionality that exists pretty much nowhere else)
  • Each stage can emit 1-64 triggers/gates (think ratcheting); by default these triggers/gates are perfectly equally distributed through the length of the stage.
  • However, these triggers/gates do NOT have to be perfectly evenly distributed; they can be distributed non-linearly in endless parametric ways, including various built-in functions that result in discontinuities and sub-bursts.
That there is the core. There’s a ton of related and additional features that surround that core.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:49 pm

[/quote]

While I've thoroughly enjoyed FriendlyVoice's videos, I would respectfully disagree that basic functionality and/or philosophies are described. More that the patches and step parameters are set up beforehand and the videos simply show tweaking macro pots to achieve some cool results. I'd love to see a video walkthrough at some point where someone actually narrates and explains/translates Flux's concepts to demonstrate their effect on a pattern. Thankfully, the new version of the manual is a bit more in-depth and descriptive than it was for the first few months of its release, I feel I'm getting a little closer to wrapping my head around it.
[/quote]

While I agree with you that describing the functionality and philosophie of Flux is not an easy task, this was -as flawfull as it may be- a try: http://youtu.be/BNls3CX6B1g

Since the last firmware 1.05 practically makes Flux a brand new module, imho, maybe a new tutorial is needed too.

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosmische » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 pm

scragz wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm
There was one where they did a deep walkthrough of everything. There was also an official tutorial video but I think it got pulled to be redone.
Ah cool I must have missed that one, I've seen most but admittedly not all. Thanks for the clarification.

I remember IO Labs' video utilizing the original prototype, I still hope for one featuring the released version.
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:35 pm
Hi guys, there’s a playlist now for your convenience:

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDxv3 ... I6uR_zQ9H2
Awesome, thanks!
mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm
I think the core functionality and philosophy can be summarized thusly:
Cheers!

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosmische » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:49 pm
While I agree with you that describing the functionality and philosophie of Flux is not an easy task, this was -as flawfull as it may be- a try: http://youtu.be/BNls3CX6B1g

Since the last firmware 1.05 practically makes Flux a brand new module, imho, maybe a new tutorial is needed too.
Agreed, the new update is awesome (even though I haven't had much time to sit down with it yet). I missed this video but will certainly dig in later today...thanks so much for making this!

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:50 am

kosmische wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:22 pm
Explaining the basic functionality of Flux is tricky because it sits outside what we are most familiar with. I can feel your pain here. Flux seemed a bit more straighforward at the beginning of the Kickstarter, but it really has evolved into an incredible tool.

The way that the parameters can be modulated with CV or the pots opens up much deeper and, more importantly, expressive possibilities than I had assumed. I think that is why FriendlyVoices videos explore the control side so comprehensively. It is integral to the performance and expressive power of the sequencer.

You can make a varied and intricate patch with just one step.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 am

[/quote]
Explaining the basic functionality of Flux is tricky because it sits outside what we are most familiar with. I can feel your pain here. Flux seemed a bit more straighforward at the beginning of the Kickstarter, but it really has evolved into an incredible tool.

The way that the parameters can be modulated with CV or the pots opens up much deeper and, more importantly, expressive possibilities than I had assumed. I think that is why FriendlyVoices videos explore the control side so comprehensively. It is integral to the performance and expressive power of the sequencer.

[/quote]

The videos Flux 22 and MSS009 are made with one single step. It’s almost impossible to make people aware of what that really means, because before Flux (and with anything else which is not Flux) we don’t thought that one single step can make anything enjoyable.
In a traditional sequencer, the first step is maybe the first hit of the bass drum. Think of it: only just this one first hit! In Flux, one single step can be an evolving and never repeating composition.
That’s a real game changer.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm

[/quote]
The way that the parameters can be modulated with CV or the pots opens up much deeper and, more importantly, expressive possibilities than I had assumed. I think that is why FriendlyVoices videos explore the control side so comprehensively.
[/quote]

Btw, it’s “Friendly Noise” (not Voice). :-)

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kosmische » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm

Marizu wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:50 am

I understand and totally agree with you, it's a unique approach...just one I have yet to crack because I haven't been able to spend as much time with it as I've wanted. I'm definitely looking forward to a deep dive over the next 2 weeks though. :)

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm

I've posted some demos of Flux doing some straight ahead grooves. Check out just a few small excerpts of what you can do with only a single step:

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... e-examples

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... t-24-hours

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 am
The videos Flux 22 and MSS009 are made with one single step. It’s almost impossible to make people aware of what that really means, because before Flux (and with anything else which is not Flux) we don’t thought that one single step can make anything enjoyable.
In a traditional sequencer, the first step is maybe the first hit of the bass drum. Think of it: only just this one first hit! In Flux, one single step can be an evolving and never repeating composition.
That’s a real game changer.
To be clear though, when you say one single step, it's a little misleading. Each "step" can have a density up to 64, so at slower tempos, that's up to 64 steps inside each step. A "step," in this context, is basically up to a 64-long sequence. Depending on usage, it's more descriptive sometimes to call the 16 steps "stages". As you've pointed out, you can do a whole lot with just one stage, which is because a stage allows rather elaborate sequencing and temporal modulation without even using another step.

Flux isn't wondrous for how much it can do with so little, but for how much it can do and how it can be flexibly organized and perform its modulations at different levels of its functioning.

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am

blipson wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 pm
To be clear though, when you say one single step, it's a little misleading. Each "step" can have a density up to 64, so at slower tempos, that's up to 64 steps inside each step. A "step," in this context, is basically up to a 64-long sequence. Depending on usage, it's more descriptive sometimes to call the 16 steps "stages". As you've pointed out, you can do a whole lot with just one stage, which is because a stage allows rather elaborate sequencing and temporal modulation without even using another step.

Flux isn't wondrous for how much it can do with so little, but for how much it can do and how it can be flexibly organized and perform its modulations at different levels of its functioning.
Respectfully, I don't think it's misleading. You can use one step and leave it unedited (as in fresh boot init patch unedited) and then modulate params using any/all of the Macros, CV inputs, the Evolve matrix (and self patching of the CV OUTs to CV INs) to create universes of possibilities, which then can be vastly differently set up on subsequent steps should you want to use more than one step. This doesn't rely on using slower tempos at all either.

Yes, this method of sequencing with Flux then relies on modulation of params as you say, but still, it's not misleading to say that there's an insane amount of options for rhythms (or just pure modulation using Flux as a CV modulation source for other modules) from a single step.

As mentioned, the demos I've posted use one step per channel almost exclusively. All of the grooves and constant variations are therefore created using the mod matrix.

Once moving onto using multiple steps, let's not forget that there's also the possibility of taking advantage of the three mod busses which can be used in any desired combination on a per step basis. 8-)

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Gentlemen, when people here says “step” or “stage”, I understand the same thing. The Moog 960, one of the first available sequencers (if not the first) is described in the manual as “eight step” sequencer. Same “step” with Flux in the web page. And when you clock Flux internal or externally, you are clocking steps, not triggers.

Also: we know ratcheting since forever (Tangerine Dream/Stratosfear 1976) but no one defines ratcheting as “having more steps”, but as “having more triggers within one single step”. So, as long as you know what you are doing, use the words you are familiar with. Otherwise we are going into an purely academic discussion...

The names don’t change the fact that you can make whole tracks with only one single (put your favourite word here) of Flux. And you have still 15 (same thing here) left. That’s game changing. :-)
Attachments
8F5087D7-CD65-4694-A357-33C8D6D78C7C.jpeg
F463D598-5C6B-45A0-B172-851DC15BD34F.jpeg

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 am

joeman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm
I've posted some demos of Flux doing some straight ahead grooves. Check out just a few small excerpts of what you can do with only a single step:

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... e-examples

https://soundcloud.com/joeman/iolabs-fl ... t-24-hours
Those are amazing. :sb:

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm S7equencer

Post by WarpHead » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 am

Sweetfiltersweep,

Just a quick note because I see u have difficulty quoting: the first of the '[Qu ote]' tags does not get a '/'.

The '/' slash is only for the second (final) tag that closes the quote. ;)
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”