How to get multiple sequencers to start together?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Zeta fxn
Learning to Wiggle

How to get multiple sequencers to start together?

Post by Zeta fxn » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 am

Hi folks! I've been playing eurorack modular synth for a few months now. I made a few patches today using a square wave from an LFO for the master clock, driving these sequencers (2 or 3 of these for any one patch):
Ladik S-180
Qu-Bit Bloom
Make Noise Rene (v1)
Winter Modular Eloquencer

Various tracks were going out to 3 or 4 oscillators. One or two of the sequences were usually out of sync. The track length for each sequence was not the problem. All of these sequencers except Rene have Reset In. The Eloquencer is very complicated, the manual is grossly inadequate, and I don't always understand what it is doing (it is the most powerful, but the least fun to use).

If I had an FSR or similar, I could trigger the Reset on all but the Rene. What is the standard method to start several sequencers all together? Thanks to you all--I've learned a lot off this website so far.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Re: How to get multiple sequencers to start together?

Post by Ceres » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Mult your clock to the each sequencers clock input (not reset), using a multiple module or stackables.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Ceres wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm
Mult your clock to the each sequencers clock input (not reset), using a multiple module or stackables.
c'mon.. pretty sure he's not starting the sequencers manually and hope for the best...

It can be difficult to get everything in sync again if you stop something and everything isn't starting on step 0 again like the rest, especially with more experimental sequencers, or if you abuse reset with other modules (a fun way to come up with variations). Also the PPQN should preferably be set to match on all sequencers, most pro sequencers have this setting. Otherwise you might get drifting.

I really don't have a good answer other than automatically triggering reset out (at the start of the sequence) from the main sequencer to the others. If one doesn't have reset in you're pretty much out of luck and you just have to restart until it aligns, i have that problem but my setup is usually a mess and is not ever meant to be stopped because then it will never sound the same again. but i also don't only use sequencers to sequence things, so it gets way too complex to think about stopping and hope it will align again, i've tried that too many times and ruined my groove.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:53 pm

I use the start button on Pam’s. It’s the only thing I like about Pam’s—that button.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:23 pm

electricanada wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:53 pm
I use the start button on Pam’s. It’s the only thing I like about Pam’s—that button.
I’ve got Eloquencer and Five12 VS running off Pams and it doesn’t work ?

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Ceres wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm
c'mon.. pretty sure he's not starting the sequencers manually and hope for the best...
I may have misunderstood OPs post. Unless someone owns the exact compliment of modules and is trying the same thing, this is hard to troubleshoot.

Does one sequencer start on a rising edge and another on the falling of the clock signal? Would it help to adjust the pulse width of the clock to see if you can find alignment? Same issues are possibly present with reset.

It would probably be much easier to have a multi-sequencer module like Nerdseq if you want to have multiple sequences running at once that are all intrinsically tied to the same clock and reset.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm

OK this is easy. Setup 1 thing, whatever, to send 1 clock and 1 reset signal. Set the reset to fire on start and maybe every 64 measures or so, a long division.

Patch the clock through mults to all the sequencers and same for the reset signal. Then you'll be good.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:36 pm

This was always an issue for me when I started with eurorack. I've used an MPC (now akai force) as master clock for my studio.

The solution that I found to be the most ideal for me was.....

Midi out of Main Clock (your DAW or choice, mine just happens to be a hardware device)>Midi in on Beatstep pro>Send din sync out in to split cable into Run/Sync input of PAM's new workout and Viola, it all just works. Pam is one module I've never considered removing. it sends clocks to everything else in my system and starts and stops when I tell it to.
F/S Joranalogue Filter 8

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 pm

I prefer to use the STOP output from my MIDI to CV to reset sequencers. This makes it so when you stop the master transport all the sequencers will already be back on their 1st step before you hit play again. It makes syncing much easier than using the RESET output which typically sends the reset signal after you hit play instead of before, causing some sequences to start late or early depending on the resolution of the clock.

ToddOMG
Common Wiggler

Post by ToddOMG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 pm

I agree it’s hard to troubleshoot unless someone has the exact same set of modules. You’ll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

For example, I use a uMidi, Roland TR8S and beatstep pro. I’ve had lots of sync issues. I’ve posted many times and no one has any helpful tips - probably only because they aren’t using those exact three things at the same time like I am!

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:39 am

Zeta fxn wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 am
All of these sequencers except Rene have Reset In.
Are you certain about this?

My method for syncing is indeed to use reset function of my sequencers (René2,Mimetic digitalis). I set a track with a 1/1 beat from my main sequencer (Drum seq), send it to the other sequencers reset in. Then when they are aligned, I turn of that track and all sequencers are synced with the same clock and same starting step (if set to same length). There are many other ways (using start/stop, sending different clock signals) but that's just the easiest one.

Zeta fxn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zeta fxn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Thank you, ggillon! I was not aware of this. I think either Bloom (which I LOVE) and Eloquencer (which I tolerate) will be able to do this. And thanks to all replies.

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Bogus wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 pm
I prefer to use the STOP output from my MIDI to CV to reset sequencers. This makes it so when you stop the master transport all the sequencers will already be back on their 1st step before you hit play again. It makes syncing much easier than using the RESET output which typically sends the reset signal after you hit play instead of before, causing some sequences to start late or early depending on the resolution of the clock.
This approach sounds very appealing to me, thanks. Going to see how I can set this up on my Kenton Pro2000.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”