PC audio signal (pulse sync) to eurorack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

X15
Common Wiggler

PC audio signal (pulse sync) to eurorack?

Post by X15 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Any dangers of sending a sampled pulse sync signal from Cubase straight into a eurorack module to sync it? Will it just be unreliable perhaps (the syncing)?

I tried it with a cheap module and it triggers it without problems. If i put the signal into my buffered mult the mult does not only lit up when it receives the pulse, it also has a constant light on which is a little more vague, which i guess means its getting a constant signal from the cable. It's not a DC coupled out i believe.

I know that Ladik has a module that converts any audio signal to a gate.. would that be any advantage? if there aren't any dangers i'll just connect this audio out signal to Pam's New Workout and see how everything syncs.

And yes i am aware there's expert sleepers and that you can use special software for this, i think i want to try a more simple setup like this :) while ES is good it can also be a bit of a pain to use (my experience in the past at least).

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Re: PC audio signal (pulse sync) to eurorack?

Post by oilpanic » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:33 pm

It will work all day long as long as your sound card has enough output. Plus this way you can burn the sync right into your track and it will never ever drift or do any funny business.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:00 am

I have been using the Ladik audio to trig for this purpose. Works solid, it may not trig other modules properly if the audio level is too high. But that's just the matter of dropping the audio level from your DAW :tu:

If you can't get the method you described to work first then I would recommend the Ladik.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:51 am

as others say, if the voltage is high enough from the sound card, do it. The sound card is very unlikely to be able to produce anything close to 10v DC, and any proper euro module should take a 10v clock but the most common is 5v. Still almost everyone uses Schmitt triggers to have a threshold voltage, often around 2.5v.

X15
Common Wiggler

Post by X15 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks for the replies, i bought (and just got) the Ladik module. Since it has a trigger length knob which can be useful.. It seems to be working with Pam's New Workout.

Is voltage always "copied" btw, let's say my sound card outputs 2.5v and i put this signal into the ladik module, then into Pam.. its still the same original 2.5v signal or has the other modules upped / standardized the voltage?

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:32 am

The Ladik site mentions fixed 5V outputs.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”