CV Tape Station

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

parapluie
Learning to Wiggle

CV Tape Station

Post by parapluie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 am

Couldn't find a topic about this module so here we go!
A new batch (of a new version) is currently available for preorder and should be shipping around mid-february.

CV Tape Station

Here is a picture of the previous version :

And here is the layout of the new version : https://whamelectronics.com/wp-content/ ... 24x914.jpg
⊕ FEATURES

– High quality/long life potentiometer for manual tape SPEED management

(from very low to high speed)

– CV IN for tape speed

– ATTENUVERTER for CV IN

– OFFSET for CV IN
– mono AUDIO OUT
– Mono RECORD IN : 3 options
:: audio in jack
:: electret mic record on panel
:: record radio directly on cassette
>> you can use CV IN tape speed + CV tuner (for radio) during recording
– CV TUNER for radio station
– AM/FM switch
– antenna for radio signal
– EURORACK 28HP +- 150/250 ma @+12V / 15ma @ -12V / 0ma @5V
– BLACK PANEL matte + matte varnished with silver and white silkscreen 2mm (next version will be with gold)

∴ FUNCTIONS
– playing manually with motor tape speed from high speed to very low speed (osc, noise, field recording, FX,…)
– create monophonic melody with cassette (CV IN + attenuverter + offset) / not 1V/oct
– create ‘cassette beat’ (for example : record noise and change drastically the cv speed > Hi-HAT (tremolo/gate with CV IN)
– record LOFI TAPE LOOP (w/ cassette loop) with in-build microphone or with REC IN jack then play with it
– record the RADIO STATION DIRECTLY on the tape (also with CV TUNING, with control speed…)
– control motor speed with analog osc
– change radio frequencies with CV radio TUNING

→ DELIVERY & notes
These modules are designed, handmade and assembled in Belgium – Europe.
PCB and Panel are professionally made in factory.
It’s limited series (numbered) and these modules are made one by one so now it’s only possible to do small batch. You can join mailing list to be the first to receive pre-order announces.
More informations and videos here : https://whamelectronics.com/product/cv-tape-station/

We could use this topic to share ideas/feedbacks around this module.
First thing I will do with it is making some tape loops and have fun with the build-in microphone and radio...

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Re: CV Tape Station

Post by mafouka » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Amazing !
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 pm

looks cool, these things pop up from time to time from different manufactures/ hobbyist who convert them to euro.

im in.
the FM radio look a bit useless for my needs but im sure some people will like it as theres always someone for everything and its been said many time that that freq static makes good noise source.
that also being said I would hate to hear a collage of modern radio coming out of that thing... imagine all the worst shit to hit the airwaves in decades blaring out of that...

edit:
put the brakes on
320 euros /350 usd..
ill pass...
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

Sleeepwalk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sleeepwalk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Beautiful. I love using a radio as a sound source and this is reminding me I need to go grab a new one.

Reminds of me my morphagene and if I didn’t have one could definitely see myself copping this.

Much respect!

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I have a general question about devices like these - what is the draw of such a module? Is is the physical slotting of the media? I myself, just can't see what this gives that many sample players can't also do, and more. What is it that makes this cool for you guys?

And I'm not dissing these at all. I use a Portages-Studio and Sony MD players sometimes too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:58 pm

I think for most people its the cassette tape sound verses the clean sound of a sample player.
that being said.

my thought is still 350 is way over priced
even with free shipping for myself personally.
im sure for some that is fair but considering you can mod any tape player with a speed control for around 5$ to achieve most of what this module can do.
it seems a bit overpriced. but that being said, these kinda devices are niche items in generally so sometimes you gotta pay up to get something you really want. and for folks that cant do a mod themselves, or have a fairly flexible budget or just really like the concept, company and capabilities of the device. im sure its is considered a pair price and a worthwhile expense. and more pore to them!!!
im sure it will be a rad module.
and ill be keeping my eyes peeled of a 2nd hand!!! :sb:
Last edited by Severed head on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
I have a general question about devices like these - what is the draw of such a module? Is is the physical slotting of the media? I myself, just can't see what this gives that many sample players can't also do, and more. What is it that makes this cool for you guys?

And I'm not dissing these at all. I use a Portages-Studio and Sony MD players sometimes too.
well, the sound of a cassette is special.. a digital module will never sound like that..

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 am

evs wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am
ersatzplanet wrote:

well, the sound of a cassette is special.. a digital module will never sound like that..

ive often wondered why we dont see any tape saturation device/emulators.
not in the typical emulator fashion of a digital emulation. theres a bunch of those, not to sure of many in EU except the Error one.
but some kind of module (in this realm) the is basically a tape player at heart, but works like a filter in regards to you just use the module/device to pass the audio through to acquire that sound/tonal quality.

ive seen a stand aloe device a while back(I cant recall the name it was obviously way overpriced or a glorified cassette player)
that was basically this same concept. its a fairly easily achievable device. conceptually and mechanically.

some handheld cassette players that ive owned I have been able to achieve the cassette tape filter device with, not all but a few, just by slotting in a tape, hitting record, attaching your instrument to the mic input, and the headphones/line out to a amplification source,

when hitting record/play in combination with pause you can basically get the tonality of the tape device (or fairly close to) the same as if you were playing back a tape you recorded on.
and with other machines ive had, that were a bit different sounding w/o a cassettes mag tape being part of the audio path ive used a loop tape.

so it seems it'd be fairly easy to accomplish in modules form for someone with the skill and know how to panel up the guts of another device and change the power requirements to be EU compatible.
although depending on how it was crafted the device would be lacking the sampling capability of the module or modules that are basically the same as the one the thread is referring to.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Severed head wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 am
evs wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am
ersatzplanet wrote:

ive often wondered why we dont see any tape saturation device/emulators.
One way to get the cassette sound, is to use samples that were recorded from cassettes, on a digital sampler. That may be close enough for most applications. Wow and flutter, and tape speed dynamics, can be emulated with CV fairly easily with EG and Lag processors. Filters help with the frequency response. Also reverse playing and other effects can be done that may not work well on some cassette transport mechanisms.

I have had a lot of fun in the past patching sounds through those adaptors used to plug MP3 players into car cassette decks (a cassette with playback head and a wire with w 3,5mm TRS plug on the end). They don't do tape saturation of course, since there is no tape used, but they will do head saturation and distortion, and the signal does go through the cassette electronics.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm
I have had a lot of fun in the past patching sounds through those adaptors used to plug MP3 players into car cassette decks (a cassette with playback head and a wire with w 3,5mm TRS plug on the end).
Now that's a cool idea -- thank you! :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”