Quad oscillators for use with quad quantizers?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Quad oscillators for use with quad quantizers?

Post by evs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am

I always wondered with the doepfer quad osc how easy it is to tune all 4 osc...
would it be a way to set the 4 osc to the same tuning by ccw all Tuning knob? And than you do the rest with external cv?

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:12 am

evs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am
I always wondered with the doepfer quad osc how easy it is to tune all 4 osc...
would it be a way to set the 4 osc to the same tuning by ccw all Tuning knob? And than you do the rest with external cv?
In principle, yes; in practice, tuning four individual analog VCOs to unison isn't usually quite as easy as just cranking the knobs fully CCW, you'll probably have to wiggle them a bit to correct for the imprecisions of analog circuitry.
(Well, or you do like those who embrace the imprecisions and play their VCOs slightly detuned.)

Now the A-111-4 specifically doesn't have separate coarse/fine knobs but one knob per VCO whose resolution depends on PCB jumpers. Doepfer likes jumpers, it appears. I guess that, if you just want to tune them to unison and get polyphony from external CV, you can set the jumper position to the finest available resolution and leave it there.

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am
muddy ranks wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 pm
  • Synthesis Technology's E370 Quad Morphing VCO ($$$! also gigantic!)
It's excellent though, and 13.5 HP or $250 per oscillator is not unreasonable for something that high quality.

I personally never used it polyphonically; I used it in stereo, or used one or two voices to modulate another, also used it for LFOs and a noise source, etc.
I'll just second Starthief's observations. I use the chord table sequencer all the time , it's really not complicated - you can even config it for ASR duties. As for harmonic content, you get your sine/tri/sqr/saw basics plus wavetable, wavefolding, cloud mode, noise - and if that's not enough, you can load your own wavetables via the ingenious wave edit program or pick from a growing library of sounds.

I've got some E370 tracks on my page - but as always, I'd suggest using the search facilities on youTube and Soundcloud to hear as many demos as you can, if don't have a modular shop nearby. Control also has a used E370 stateside.
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

NEW EP: https://fastus.bandcamp.com/album/terra-incognito
www.soundcloud.com/fastus
www.soundcloud.com/problivion

Return to “Eurorack Modules”