Your Favorite Intellijel 1U modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Your Favorite Intellijel 1U modules

Post by Franktree » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm

I've got a new case coming that, for the first time (for me), will have an Intellijel 1U row. Now I need to figure out how to fill it. So let me know your favorite/most useful Intellijel 1U modules (whether made by Intellijel or another company--just an Intellijel 1U format).

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Your Favorite Intellijel 1U modules

Post by batch » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 am

O_C 4 Robots
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

half.cto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by half.cto » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 am

Zeroscope 1u, for me as a newcomer to modular its invaluable tool to understand what exactly is happening.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 am

Cool topic. I just got a Performance case with a 1u row as well.

I'm waiting for the stereo line out 1u and pedal i/o 1u modules to come in the mail. And I wish there were more online demos of the Digiverb. I dislike pretty much all the reverbs I've heard for eurorack as well as the usual shimmery Strymon yadda-yadda style reverbs. I like gated reverbs and I hope I'll find some pedal that suits my needs at some point but in the meantime, if I can at least use a decent reverb that doesn't take any expensive 3u space yet can be included in the rack instead of being an external processor, I'll take it.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 am

My 1U row is Quadratt, Noise Tools, another Quadratt, Audio I/O. Quadratt is great since attenuating modulators is so important on inputs that don't have a built-in attenuator but it seems like such a boring use of those precious 3U spots. Noise Tools is useful but Ultra Random Analog or Marbles would be sexier. Audio I/O is great since it uses the jacks on the back of the case and is similarly nice to not use up 3U for something mandatory like I/O.

So yeah, mostly boring utility so I can have bangers in the big spots.

emilng
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emilng » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:19 am

I have a triatt, a zeroscope, an O_c 4robots, and a headphone out.

I would definitely recommend a triatt or at least a duatt for mixing, attenuating, attenuverting duties.

The zeroscope is great for seeing what my LFOs/triggers/envelopes are doing. When I'm not using it for that I have an analog oscillator plugged into it all the time to make sure it's in tune.

The 1U O_c 4robots from PlumAudio is Ornament and Crime in a 1U format. I have the stock firmware on it, but I'm considering getting a second one and putting the hemisphere firmware on there.

The dual VCA is also useful because you can never have enough of em.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

I’m new to having a 1U row as well. Since I have a 4U case that row is pretty valuable. So far I have a Quadratt that works great as a mixer (I’d be happy to have a few of these). On the way are a dual VCA, Pedal IO and Steppy.

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

For me, the most useful is the headphone out as it makes each case a standalone deal when not hooked to the sound system.
I have 2 buff mults, one in each 7U case.
I also like the noise tools as it excels as a random/noise module.
Steppy 1U is also a great module for rhythm type triggers.
Plus, I also have a quadratt, but I don't want to use it as an audio mixer because it is too important as a CV attenuator/attenuverter and mixer for CVs.
For that reason I wish there was an audio mixer available in Intellijel 1U.
I bet it could be smaller than Quadratt for the same functionality.
Also, I am not sure how to search on Modulargrid for other manufacturers of compatible 1U modules.
I would imagine that there exist some useful and compatible modules out there but Modulargrid allows you to insert Pulplogic 1U modules in an Intelligel case.
So how do you tell which format the 1U modules are? :despair:

Foghorn
I think both Zeroscope and O&C 1U are great uses of space as is the dual VCA.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Franktree
Common Wiggler

Post by Franktree » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 am

Agreed that Modulargrid should distinguish in search between Intellijel 1U format and standard or PulpLogic 1U format. Seems like a real oversight.

But keep the suggestions coming! Particularly interested to hear more about the non-Intellijel Intellijel format 1U modules.

Johnnyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by Johnnyfive » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 am

Franktree wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 am
Particularly interested to hear more about the non-Intellijel Intellijel format 1U modules.
I don't have one in 1U, but the NLC sloths looks pretty cool (I have the 3U triple sloths).

I've also found the zeroscope really useful, and noise tools is a solid module.

jjterbeek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjterbeek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am

I have 4x mult 5x Quadratt 1x O&C 4Robots

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 am

Another vote for Quadratt here, it's easily my favorite 1U module of either format. Also Zeroscope, Buff Mult (for the value), and Octalink. The USB Power can be handy too.

subduct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subduct » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

after a few iterations my 1u row has settled at
  • uMIDI
    buffered mult
    noise tools
    quadratt
    stereo line out
i have 10hp left that may become a 1u VCA or another line out to give me 4 ch out of the case.
additionally I wish you could configure the uMIDI jacks like you can with a mutable yarns.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 am

Foghorn wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am
Also, I am not sure how to search on Modulargrid for other manufacturers of compatible 1U modules.
I would imagine that there exist some useful and compatible modules out there but Modulargrid allows you to insert Pulplogic 1U modules in an Intelligel case.
So how do you tell which format the 1U modules are? :despair:
If you put "intellijel" in the search box it will show from other manufacturers since they will say what format they are in the module description.

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Post by SunPulse » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:36 am

Another vote for Quadratt, it's so versatile. My second choice is the buffered multiple, it's how I distribute CV & gate.
Yes, That is My Hand You See There: ALM Busy Circuits / CFM / Erica Synths / Intellijel / Ladik / MakeNoise / Malekko Heavy Industry / Pittsburgh Modular / Seismic Industries / Steady State Fate / SSF-WMD / Studio Electronics / Tiptop Audio / Xaoc Devices

Instagram: sunpulse.ay

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:03 pm

1uO_c running Hemisphere, hands down. Followed by Quadratt.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 pm

There are also the 1u adapters that allow you to fit any 3u 4hp module on its side. That said, used Quadratts are the bargain of the century and free up 3u space for more interesting modules.

tdallas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tdallas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 pm

There are two Quadratt, one buffered mult and a headphone out in my 7U case, which I really like. I also had some 1U Audio I/O in there, but unfortunately both tested devices - from the same batch - had some strange crackling noise on the line in section while the knobs for the input gain are wiggled (e.g. for fading in / out a signal) ... which was a little bit sad, because I would like to use the v2 audio jack board on the back of the case for sending and receiving external signals. And the Audio I/O had the perfect size for this feature. Don‘t know if this was only a problem in my rack or if such crackling noises are normal in this module. :hmm:

So at least the search for a good stereo line in module is ongoing. But the other mentioned modules are really helpful :tu:

greyscales
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyscales » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Quadratt is without a doubt my favorite 1u module. Not really fun but I definitely don't want to waste 3u space with attenuverters. I love that it can mix all 4 channels. I use it it every patch.

Steppy is a surprisingly solid gate sequencer. The loopy mode is extremely jammable. Muting and switching channels is really quick, and the menus are easy to use.

FSR is nice. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Can be expressive or a simple gate output for triggering sounds/events.

Noise tools does the job. I've thought about selling mine a handful of times but it's always nice to have a S/T&H, slew, and noise source. So it probably won't go anywhere.

Digiverb is probably my least favorite 1u module yet. It sounds okay, but not something I would ever miss.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:55 am

For me it’s the quadratt, noise random tools and fsr. They are great in many patches and not necessary in a 3U space. Zero scope also sounds very useful although I didn’t get one and will try to bypass the need by using VCV rack’s oscilloscope

suckerformimi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by suckerformimi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:11 am

I don't have 1U but I sure wish my steppy was 1U with the 1U row at bottom.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Intellijel does indeed make some great 1 u modules...any work around for mounting them properly in non-Intellijel racks?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

peachesandbacon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peachesandbacon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 pm

A lot of people singing the praises for a Quadratt.
I have some 1u space remaining on my case, and was considering one of these.

Can you guys suggest some good examples or use cases for the Quadratt.

I've traditionally just used Maths to do Attenuation in the past, Do I need a Quadratt too? Or is the space better used with a different 1u module or two?

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:03 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 pm
Can you guys suggest some good examples or use cases for the Quadratt.

I've traditionally just used Maths to do Attenuation in the past, Do I need a Quadratt too? Or is the space better used with a different 1u module or two?
I was just using mine to subtract the fundamental from Odessa's outputs to only have partials. When I had a bunch of NE oscillators that only accepted 0-5v but had LFOs that were +/-5v the offset and mixing was convenient to convert to the right voltage range. You can mix two stereo sources into a pair or down to a single output. Attenuation, mixing, and offsetting is all really useful and Maths can only do so many things at once.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”