How many euro Sequencers is too many?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

How many euro Sequencers is too many?

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:18 pm

:despair:

There are several which curently catch my eye and that I've never laid hands on, but mannnn, I want them.

Several.

(Bloom, Vector, Klee, good ole Stepper Acid, and more, each with unique attributes and approaches...).

Lawd help me.

I may go broke just auditioning and owning Sequencers.

Ease my mind by sharing how many euro Sequencers you have and which ones, for how many HP?

I can't be the only one who has or wants several.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: How many euro Sequencers is too many?

Post by Jumbuktu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:05 am

42 is too many!

I currently have:

- Five12 Vector
- Sputnik 5-stage voltage source
- Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis
- Noise Engineering Mimetic Sequent and Multium
- TipTop Z8000
- Doepfer 155
- Korg SQ1
- Arturia Keystep
- Akai Max49
- Kilpatrick Carbon

[Assuming you only want to know about CV sequencers, and assuming the Turing Machine is not classed as a sequencer, and ignoring the sequencer mode for O&C]

In the past I have had various, including:

- Xaoc Moskwa
- Eloquencer
- Hex-inverter SympleSeq
- 2 x Pressure Points and Brains

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:14 am

One.

Use a computer. They are the future.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:44 am

Klee looks cool but it is really big and isn’t that interesting to work with. I would avoid it.

Regarding the number of sequencers I want as many as I think I could use at once. 3-4 melodic lines at once is my limit. But I also have several sequencers extra in digital, multimode modules like Ornament&Crime and Disting.
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:29 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:14 am
One.

... and we are the robots. Yes, to just use a computer is a very good, powerful and convenient solution...except one miss the whole idea with the exciting journey of Eurorack, modulars etc.

If one sequencer is enough thats great. Many sequencers are exciting. Too many sequencers is when one ore more of them just collect dust.
  • Different sequencers has different interface with different experience/feeling to work with. That's a main reason to me to have more than one sequencer (sadly true as well for software sequencers).
  • Different analog sequencers has different clocks and therefore has different swing/timing - at least thats the case with my Doepfer 16/3 (yes, its not Eurorack) that stand out and is my favorite analog step sequencer for that reason.
  • The music one make is shaped by the tools one use, including sequencers. Some times I replace the computer to an old digital sequencer (Roland MC-500) if I for instance reach for an 80s vibe.
  • And to be honest: How cool isn’t different toys/sequencers :)
Last edited by Analog Prophet on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:34 am

I’m a bit of a sequencer junky.

In euro:

Nerdseq
Varigate 8+
Voltage Block
Mimetic Digitalis
Varigate 4

Other:

Cirklon
Octatrack
Ableton Live

I like the different feel and workflow each offers.

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Things I use as sequencers:
Usta
Sinfonion (not really a sequencer perse, but I'm using it as one)
Grids
Voltageblock
SQ-1
Analog 4

And I have 6 voices one of them being a chord voice of 4 oscillators. So it's probably more then I need in 1 patch, which for me is kind of is when it gets into too many regions. Since I got Usta the Analog 4 isn't getting used as much anymore. But I like having it around as an option (and as a synth/groovebox). Same goes for a Keystep which most of the time only gets used as a keyboard. Different options can lead to different results. :sb:

In practice. Usta and Sinfonion serve as the system for melodic sequences. The SQ-1 and Voltageblock get used as stored voltage sources or as simple sequencers for modulation purposes. Also, I like using Grids as way to advance de SQ-1 and Voltageblock sequences. And it's nice to have it for when you don't feel like programming rhythmic sequences.

Come to think of it. When you start using sequencers to sequence other sequencers it becomes way harder to determine how many one needs :hmm:

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm

VCA’s ... nah. You can never have too many sequencers.

Tirana II (twice)
Octone
z8000
Circadian Rhythms

And if you are so inclined
Turing Machine with expanders
Mutable Grids

And, ok, not Euro
Beatstep Pro

I need another sequencer.
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Graffie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 pm
... Come to think of it. When you start using sequencers to sequence other sequencers it becomes way harder to determine how many one needs :hmm:
+1 there
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I probably have too many, as I have never even come close to using all of them at once. I don't have time to count them all at the moment. Of course, one sequencer with eight channels is not equal to one with only one channel.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm also of the "why make things slower, harder, and limited, use your DAW please this isn't the 70s" camp. For live play, and for some systems (sometimes euro but commonly 5U) that are explicitly trying to be vintage, I understand the use cases (more like sentimentality for some), but in Euro things have become so very hybridized the past few years I regard it as a modern synth, thus should be compatible with state-of-the-art tools, which it fully is thanks to ES interfaces.

I've had a few Euro sequencers just to make sure I wasn't missing some unseen magic and putting my foot in my mouth, but no it's exactly what I thought. I've been using DAWs for >15 years and I'm way faster/more capable on them than any hardware, albeit that may just be fish in water vs out of water for my experience. Regardless, I do keep a Rene mkII around for rhythmic modulation over filters, FM etc, because Z-stacks+cartesian movements are actually-useful to me as a lazy instant-interesting-modulation service, plus I only have so many outs from ES-8 and Yarns to burn on non-pitch CVs. So my answer would be "1-2 plus a good DAW interface."

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:20 pm

nios wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:01 pm
I'm also of the "why make things slower, harder, and limited, use your DAW please this isn't the 70s" camp. For live play, and for some systems (sometimes euro but commonly 5U) that are explicitly trying to be vintage, I understand the use cases (more like sentimentality for some), but in Euro things have become so very hybridized the past few years I regard it as a modern synth, thus should be compatible with state-of-the-art tools, which it fully is thanks to ES interfaces.

I've had a few Euro sequencers just to make sure I wasn't missing some unseen magic and putting my foot in my mouth, but no it's exactly what I thought. I've been using DAWs for >15 years and I'm way faster/more capable on them than any hardware, albeit that may just be fish in water vs out of water for my experience. Regardless, I do keep a Rene mkII around for rhythmic modulation over filters, FM etc, because Z-stacks+cartesian movements are actually-useful to me as a lazy instant-interesting-modulation service, plus I only have so many outs from ES-8 and Yarns to burn on non-pitch CVs. So my answer would be "1-2 plus a good DAW interface."
I have been using DAWs for close on 30 years now but I wouldn't consider using one with my modular system. I currently use Cubase pro (10.5) and consider myself a reasonably competent user, but the things that DAWs do well aren't really compatible with the modular environment (for me). I guess if you want to make techno with drums, bass and chords, it might work, but that doesn't interest me much.

Each to his /her own!

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:23 pm

It's good to feel a little less crazy. Thanks.

I'm barely scratching the surface of (cv) Sequencer-land, and I already have:

* Zillion + CV OCD
* BeatstepPro
* SQ-1
* Grandmother
* Muxlicer
* 2x PP + Brains

And I can easily see having another few more that do new/different things or do it differently.

As for using a DAW: shut your whore mouth.

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:54 pm

I think it really comes down to how you plan to approach the whole sequencing concept in your particular practice.
There are things like this https://reverb.com/item/26280195-serge- ... ammer-rare that sot of explode the idea of what a sequencer is and is for. (realizing that this post specified euro - it just really sums up what I'm trying to describe)
There you can see two four stage and one five stage "sequencer/programmers" - (and importantly no clock).
On one hand it's about the most basic design that could qualify as a sequencer, but by having several of them you can generate lots of complexity that a linear step type of approach would have difficulty with (even with multiple tracks).

If you've got a vision of how multiple sequencers would integrate into your compositional workflow then why not?

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 am

I think the point of modular is for everything to relate to each other. Sometimes you dont need another sequencer but a switch or sample and hold.
but its great when 2 sequencers can talk to each other and create a bigger sum than its pieces

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 am

What many beginners don’t get is that two 4-stage sequencers is far more useful and flexible than one eight-stage sequencer.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:50 am

im using metropolis for instant fun and jamming

using nerdseq 1 for controlling all my percussion, and 4 Percussion Voices like Akemies Taiko, Plonk, Rings and so on
using nerdseq 2 for controlling my bass rack with 2 voices of bass and using the other outputs to change presets, modulate filters and many other stuff i don't want to worry about while playing live
soon will control my third case with one nerdseq with the Doepfer connection modules

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
One.

IDK, it recently occurred to me that general-purpose computers as an ecosystem peaked in the '00s except for very specific applications like... uh, streaming, Google Maps, and that's it if I'm not overlooking something. At least hardware instruments aren't actively getting worse.

Anyways, I've begun my musical journey with a DAW but found hardware sequencers more fun to play at least for rhythmic parts. Jury's still out for melodic parts.
Last edited by Arneb on Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 am

Sequencers I own;

Eurorack:
Expert Sleepers ES-8 with DAW
Expert Sleepers FH-2 with any midi playback device
Robaux SWT16
Mother 32
Ornaments and Crime
Erica Synths Pico Seq
Mutable Instruments Peaks

Non-Eurorack:
Korg SQ1
Arturia Minibrute 2S
Arturia Microbrute
Arturia Minibrute SE
Arturia Keystep
Akai MPC One (amazing!)

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Arneb wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 am
GuyaGuy wrote:
One.

IDK, it recently occurred to me that general-purpose computers as an ecosystem peaked in the '00s
It was a joke response really.

I use Silent Way in my Ableton sometimes but in my new 6U 94HP case I have 3 sequencers—Voltage Block, Varigate 8+ and Brain Seed. They take up a quarter of the case but they offer 8 gate channels and 10 CV channels. I think the number of sequencers you “need” is relative to how you use your modular, e.g. how many voices, if it includes drums, self generative vs planned melodies, etc.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm

This is why I like machines like the Nord Modular and Nord Modular G2. Use as many sequencers as you like. With the G2 you can program the front panel knobs to run them and with page switching, you can have 120 knobs to use on them. Eight sets of variations to use for transposes and note swiping too. With MIDI to CV converters on the outside, you can run your Eurorack too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 pm
Arneb wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 am
GuyaGuy wrote:
One.

IDK, it recently occurred to me that general-purpose computers as an ecosystem peaked in the '00s
It was a joke response really.

I use Silent Way in my Ableton sometimes but in my new 6U 94HP case I have 3 sequencers—Voltage Block, Varigate 8+ and Brain Seed. They take up a quarter of the case but they offer 8 gate channels and 10 CV channels. I think the number of sequencers you “need” is relative to how you use your modular, e.g. how many voices, if it includes drums, self generative vs planned melodies, etc.
It's either none or infinite for me, depending on how you define a sequencer. Yes, I'm a computer control guy (since 1978) but I don't use a DAW, I code sequencers (and other control modules) in Max/MSP. Writing single purpose patchers keeps the modular ethos going within the computer, but I'm free to include any feature I desire. Currently I'm enjoying mutating sequences, something Turing machineish but with more control. And if I want another row, I just open another copy in a new window. I also enjoy Markov chains, something I've never seen in hardware (it would take 144 pots or sliders).

I agree that computer hardware has reached a plateau, but that's just an opportunity for software to catch up.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:17 pm

I think the more proper question would be how many are enough?

Just one more would be my answer. 8-)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:57 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
One.

Oh computers with music? Such a passing phase that whole computer nonsense :hihi:

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 am

Sequencers are why i got into eurorack. I've had Metropolis twice and that was my first euro sequencer. I've had so many in the past few years.

Current sequencers.
Euro: Note, I don't have any "complex" eurorack sequencers, but I've tried quite a few of them. I've got a 42 hp Blank in my system and in the next 6 months, I will probably fill it with either the Erica Black Sequencer or Vector Sequencer.
NE Mimetic Sequent and Multum (Super underrated in my opinion)
NE Mimetic Digitalis
TT Z8000
Permutation

Non Euro:
Akai Force
Beatstep Pro
Keystep
Just Bought Ableton. We'll see how that goes!
WTB: Pittsburgh Modualar Voltage Lab, Tesseract Step Fader

Return to “Eurorack Modules”