Squarp Rample

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Squarp Rample

Post by thetechnobear » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Rample waves system €299 , mid march 2020

Eurorack 4-voice sample player & audio processor.

● plays .wav files from the SD card, no duration limits
● 4 independent voices & audio outputs
● each voice included 5 audio effects + editing tools
● each voice can be multi-layered
● 4 assignable CV inputs
● everything is controllable thanks to the midi input
● microSD preloaded with artists kits, easy sample import

https://squarp.net
(links on website not currently working ;) )
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 18.04.07.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonglum
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Squarp Rample

Post by Moonglum » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Really looking forward to hearing a demo of this one!

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm

This could be great. Just got a Disting to act as a multi sample instrument but if this can do 4 voices poly style playback that would be awesome.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:47 am

up till now I use the Nutella Tsunami: 16 voices, 8 outs. I use it mainly as my drumsamplethingy, but it also does other types of samples.
however, this could be interesting

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 am

At least the card slot is on the front this time... Also, a nice LED display and no poorly-lit rubber buttons. Looks like it avoids some of the bigger UI issues of the Hermod. Has potential, watching this space- though might let others be early adopters 8-)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:04 am

So another sampler that streams samples from super slow SD cards.. Wish they would walk away from that, how expensive is RAM anyways? just 6-8MB goes a long way. these samplers are more like toys, not professional samplers.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 am

... and another sampler that doesn't sample 🤔

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:16 am

Only 1 CV input per channel? :foul: :roll:

PS : some of us use only use a modular system, not midi.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:17 am

Could be pretty cool for ambient oriented music, but as Bemushroomed already mentioned, why streaming from slow SD cards?
For drums/percussion etc... this will probably cause too much latency making it a bit of a nightmare to work with.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm

I'd wait for Squarp to publish some specs before jumping to any conclusions about performance. Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency, look at the TIptop ONE.

More concerning to me is that display. You can't convey a lot of information in 90 pixels. It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm

miminashi wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm
I'd wait for Squarp to publish some specs before jumping to any conclusions about performance. Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency
Yes it does. I have tiptop one, i know how it performs. its correct that under the right circumstances it has great latency, that means just one sample playing and absolutely no cv switching of samples (this will lead to latency and even slight jitter).

With polyphony you can expect increased latency for sure. how useful and professional is a sampler that can play 1 sample at super low latency in 2020?!

We have a ton of these SD streaming modules in euro now, we certainly don't need another. Give me a professional sampler that plays samples from RAM (6-8MB) and has the same audio quality as Assimilat8r. CV in for sample selection, trigger and pitch. 2 voices, 2 outs would be fine. $300-range.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm
miminashi wrote:
I'd wait for Squarp to publish some specs before jumping to any conclusions about performance. Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency
Yes it does. I have tiptop one, i know how it performs. its correct that under the right circumstances it has great latency, that means just one sample playing and absolutely no cv switching of samples (this will lead to latency and even slight jitter).

With polyphony you can expect increased latency for sure. how useful and professional is a sampler that can play 1 sample at super low latency in 2020?!

We have a ton of these SD streaming modules in euro now, we certainly don't need another. Give me a professional sampler that plays samples from RAM (6-8MB) and has the same audio quality as Assimilat8r. CV in for sample selection, trigger and pitch. 2 voices, 2 outs would be fine. $300-range.
We could do better than 6-8MB of RAM in 1997, so I hope we can do better than that in Eurorack in 2020.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 pm

This looks fun. Really want to see the demo.

If it’s a worry you could get a mpc or something like it.

Eurorack size and power does come with some limitations I think, no matter what year.

Just because computers are capable of something does not mean you should expect eurorack to be capable of the exact same behavior.
THUMPR BC SC

suckerformimi
Common Wiggler

Post by suckerformimi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:15 am

I think they should focus on supporting their existing products. My Hermod felt very unfinished and the company seems a bit overstretched. I would not expect anything from Squarp until I actually see it.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 am

rayultine wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 pm

We could do better than 6-8MB of RAM in 1997, so I hope we can do better than that in Eurorack in 2020.
Not really. e.g MPC2000 had 2MB, it came out in 97. But yes, we could begin to use computers and such at that time for samples so we had way more space, but for eurorack i think 6-8MB RAM would be decent, price-wise and such..

Also i don't think its completely fair to say "just use a computer", that argument can be used for anything in eurorack, my $2000 PC is way more powerful than my$20.000 eurorack..

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am

Interesting! I wonder if there will be a standalone hardware version as well, just like pyramid and hermod.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:53 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 am
rayultine wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Not really. e.g MPC2000 had 2MB, it came out in 97. But yes, we could begin to use computers and such at that time for samples so we had way more space, but for eurorack i think 6-8MB RAM would be decent, price-wise and such..

Also i don't think its completely fair to say "just use a computer", that argument can be used for anything in eurorack, my $2000 PC is way more powerful than my$20.000 eurorack..
I bought an EMU ESI-32 in 1997 that had 32MB RAM and a reasonably useful screen.
I'm not saying "use a computer". I'm saying I have no interest in a 21st century sampler unless it has a nice UI. How will this compete with Erica Sample Drum, Bitbox, or even Squid Salmple?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 am

I see this a kind of a quad Radio Music with extra features, and it looks pretty cool for what it is. Seems kind of silly to compare it to something like Bitbox....

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:06 am

Yeah, I guess that makes more sense to think of it as a quad radio music or tiptop one. I've lost track of my own argument here! Let's see where the demos take us.

Underwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

bemushroomed wrote:
miminashi wrote:

The sample rate is lower and it costs a bit more then 300 bucks, but aside from that, the Sample Drum from Erica Synth should get you all of that – but with 32 MB ram.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Underwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

The sample rate is lower and it costs a bit more then 300 bucks, but aside from that, the Sample Drum from Erica Synth should get you all of that – but with 32 MB ram.
Cool, i thought that was another SD streaming module. Might be a future purchase.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:10 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:34 pm
Underwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:17 am

Cool, i thought that was another SD streaming module. Might be a future purchase.
Nope, you choose which samples you want loaded into RAM for both channels.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:48 pm

hmm, squarp removed page... wonder if it will be back again soon :)

bit surprised some are being quite so negative, when we really have so little info at the moment...

streaming sd card speed...
its says you can stream wav from sd card , but that does not preclude the ability to load samples into RAM (or buffering)
so they might let us, do fast cv manipulation on ram loaded samples - but more restrictions for longer samples that are streamed.
( a bit like the octatrack does with flex vs static machines)
also this info, didn't say how much RAM it has... so we cant say if its too little yet ;)

I'm not saying it will support this hybrid approach, as we just don't know yet...time will tell.

focusing more on what it did say..
It points towards layers samples, which on a smallish unit is pretty unusual

midi - I was confused about at first, seems 'anti modular/cv', but then I considered connecting to my hermod, and realised that a simple midi cable will given quite a lot of extra modulation possibilities - without lots of extra cv jacks (and associated HP), and I even thought, Hermod+Rample in a small POD case could be quite a fun combo.
(mix and volume - also mean you don't need extra mixers for small setups - id guess, voices will have individual gain in 'menu' ?)

having audio effects and editing are also interesting in this size unit... again no detail, but it sparks my interest.

Id agree, id like to have see a few more cv inputs, but at this size its a trade off, I can see it possibly working, esp due to the midi input.

anyway, it'll be interesting to see some more details, I think its good to have choices...

(*) I think comparing this to the Assimila8or is a bit apples n' oranges given the difference in size (HP) and price...
if you need an advanced large sampler, get assimila8or - no real discussion there,
but an assimla8or would be complete over kill for my need and case.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm

having a midi input on samplers/sample players is quite a good thing.
should be standard IMHO.

its one jack,......plus, ohh yeah: add a midi thru !! that part seems well donne !

the rest is much dependend on details we just don´t know would i say.
latency and/or availaable file/RAM size.

from what i see does this module "feel" like its more aiming to play longer samples in one shots.

my trust in onboard FX is little though.
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am

bemushroomed wrote:
miminashi wrote:
Streaming from an SD card does not necessarily mean high latency
Yes, streaming from an SD card does impose some constraints. But as you acknowledge, it is possible to achieve low latency when streaming from an SD card. I implemented a sample player for the Teensy/Euroshield and it's capable of playing back >8 samples simultaneously with <1ms of latency and almost no jitter.

Failure to achieve good performance (low latency, low jitter) is due to poor design. It is by no means inherent.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”