Squarp Rample

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Squarp Rample

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:27 pm

The Rample has gone live on Modular Grid and the Square site.

No latency stats that I can find, but the manual makes a big deal about only using the included microSD card because of its performance characteristics.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:43 pm

The latency thing is a little "eh", but mostly I fret about post-launch support, and responsiveness to support enquiries for faulty units- neither of which Squarp are famous for.

I'm still feeling a little lairy after the way the Hermod was left to rot, with "no plans" for updates surprisingly quickly- it's like they're channelling Chord.

What it does have is gorgeous plain industrial design. I won't lie, I'm shallow.

That said, I'm maybe old-fashioned and too fond of samplers being on-point. Loading to RAM for replay and being liberal about secondary storage tends to light my fire more. I can see myself going postal and getting an old Akai from ebay at this rate.

(I have been on a bit of a sampler quest this week, I think I am suddenly more jaded.)

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Would be great to have an option for 4 voice wavetable player, could use the extra CV to scan through the slices. Wonder if this is possible out of the box somehow.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm

So definitely a sample rhythm / one shot machine. Multi sample kits sound cool.

I'm tempted for the price - I wonder how it performs playing 4 long files simultaneously.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 am

I just want to say I’ve only ever had excellent customer support from Squarp. And even though the Hermod wasn’t hugely improved, it has seen some great updates. Though, I do find it performs significantly worse when used as midi slave (timing issues).
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:14 am

Full specs and manual now online.

Hermod - I’ve had excellent support from squarp.
I also think it does what it set out to do, and they have made some major updates (looper) - sure, it’s always nice to ‘have more’ - but it’s far from been abandoned!

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 pm

So, I got over my grumpiness and ordered one of these. It arrived today, it's big fun. Squarp were friendliness personified and did really well well to get it out this fast, so I owe them an apology for being salty ;)

It really needs a mode where the CV-driven layer selection works as volt/octave, but otherwise, it's pretty good fun. Here's a quick and dirty patch I ran up to test it out:

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 pm
So, I got over my grumpiness and ordered one of these. It arrived today, it's big fun. Squarp were friendliness personified and did really well well to get it out this fast, so I owe them an apology for being salty ;)

It really needs a mode where the CV-driven layer selection works as volt/octave, but otherwise, it's pretty good fun. Here's a quick and dirty patch I ran up to test it out:

How does the CV layer selection work right now? Does just switch with gate signals?

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:25 pm

plainjanefrancis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm
How does the CV layer selection work right now? Does just switch with gate signals?
It can change itself on the gate trigger in random, cyclic or reverse cyclic mode. Layer can also be selected explicitly with MIDI velocity or CV (-5 to +5 or 0 to +5v from memory). However, I don't think there's any way to have it react to CV in a volt/octave way, so adjacent notes aren't adjacent layers- it's a few notes per layer, which makes keyboard drumming or doing crazy chopped breakbeats slightly weird and faffy.

I'd imagine that this was potentially something they could add in software though, if asked nicely. That'd be amazing. Documentation is just a web page or a sheet of paper at present, so I might have missed something of course.

It's a fun module, though.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 pm

For anyone wondering about latency, they told me its around 1ms for both midi and gate triggering. Interested to see if that holds true as early adopters beat the hell out of it. I'm interested in this for the upcoming flux temporal modulation sequencer. Maybe four of them :twisted:
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:25 pm
plainjanefrancis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm
It can change itself on the gate trigger in random, cyclic or reverse cyclic mode. Layer can also be selected explicitly with MIDI velocity or CV (-5 to +5 or 0 to +5v from memory).

Oh ok nice, so it's possible just with midi for now. Thanks for the info!

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 am

davidjames wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 pm
For anyone wondering about latency, they told me its around 1ms for both midi and gate triggering. Interested to see if that holds true as early adopters beat the hell out of it. I'm interested in this for the upcoming flux temporal modulation sequencer. Maybe four of them :twisted:
yeah same here. was about to pull the trigger on the Assimil8or, but didn't need the sampling portion, so if this gets me fast drum sample triggering with layers, will pick this up.

curious as to what the process of adjusting start point is like with that display.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:48 am

nrg242 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 am
yeah same here. was about to pull the trigger on the Assimil8or, but didn't need the sampling portion, so if this gets me fast drum sample triggering with layers, will pick this up.

curious as to what the process of adjusting start point is like with that display.
I guess we need to define "fast", in context of normal triggering vs extreme cases like the Flux sequencer. By comparison, the Assimil8or claims 180 microseconds at its individual outs, and 100 microseconds at the mix out. At 1000 microseconds, Rample is 5X or 10X the latency of the Assimil8or.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:21 pm

I’d like to see some real world testing and measurements on the Rample.

Flux is going to be a trigger firehose, and if you like fast, you’re not going to want a bunch of "jitter" introduced into those fancy trigger streams by some SD card subsystem.

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:44 pm

ah right. for my purposes, rample may be "fast enough" since the full Flux onslaught isn't necessarily why i preordered that module.

awaiting real world users.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am

I'm very close to be pulling the trigger, I was wondering if anyone received theirs yet?

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 am

tvparcable wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am
I'm very close to be pulling the trigger, I was wondering if anyone received theirs yet?
Yep, last week. See a fews posts above you.

Incidentally, regarding the CV scaling optionally as volt/octave, I suggested it to Squarp. They responded that they also wanted this, and that they'd try to implement it- which would make an already nice module way more usable.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Interesting, sorry I did not notice the previous messages. To be clear, is pitch not tracking in a 1v/Oct fashion something that only affects multi layers (aka, playing different samples on the same channel via CV), or is it also the case for regular pitch control of one single channel? Aka, if you sample a C from e.g. a piano note, will it track pitch normally according to 1v/Oct cv you feed it from your sequencer?

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:10 pm

meilleures salutations de Paris !

8-) vive dada!
red

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am

Anyone having trouble getting their own samples to play on this? I've added a new folder with mono 16-bit 44.1khz .wav files, and nothing plays (all the included factory kits play fine)...

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am

Hidden_Path wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am
Anyone having trouble getting their own samples to play on this? I've added a new folder with mono 16-bit 44.1khz .wav files, and nothing plays (all the included factory kits play fine)...
Solution was found here:

https://squarp.community/t/sample-transfer/4019

Not a painful workaround but hopefully Squarp can get a firmware update out that solves the issue.

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Every time one saves the settings to the card the run mode (advanced settings) for all four channels are being reset. Very annoying.

Also an updated documentation in PDF format would be great.

I also had some issues with automatic retriggering which I could not explain. Anybody with similiar issues?
It seems that there is a strange kind of buffer either on the gate inputs or so. When Itrigger the device from my MI Grids for a while and stop the clock on the grids the Rample still gets triggered. Even if I remove the cables from the gate inputs it takes quite a while (up to one, two minutes) till the auto-triggering stops.

Edith says: I think the re-triggering problem is caused by the permanent reset of the run mode to loop mode. So it's not a retriggering but a endless loop of the sample which looked to me like re-triggering.
So I think two things have to be fixed here: fix the issue with resetting the run mode (when doing a save and also when doing some other activities) and second I think the default run mode should become mode 1 (single shot).
Last edited by Mr. Roboto on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:41 pm

This definitely looks like a great module and one that I would use in my live case. Great job!

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Getting some weird results when using CV IN to control the LAYER... it only seems to be 'catching' a few of the layers, and some give silence, which is odd since there are no 'silent' samples included in the layer (5 in my case on SP1). Sending 0-5V from a Voltage Block, with 0-5V selected in the CV IN range settings. Can anyone else see if this is working as expected on yours?

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 am

I do have exactly the same issue as you described. I thought it might be related to the samples and that they do have the wrong format but this is not the case. So i cannot go through all the layers of a multisample using a 0 to 5V sweep, neither -5 to +5 nor 0 to 10V.
Definitely a bug I would assume.

Edit: It seems that the incoming velocity (Midi) or CV will not be equally devided by the number of samples/layers for that voice.
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”